PDA

View Full Version : Hey PG

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 12:13 PM
Awhile back I asked about koi ponds, you suggested looking into shobunkens. I did, now I have 5 of 'em. I have a question for you since you're a Shobunken ****** *******.

In your experience did they ever start eating plant roots (lilies) when/if they didn't like the food you were feeding them?

I went one day without feeding them, then switched to a different food. Within 4 days, all the lily plants - which were very healthy - were about 80% emaciated. I can't tell if it's because the roots are getting gnawed up, or what. They just died off. The leaves got all nappy and then dried up and poof - dead.

The 2 plants near the pump are still fine (the fish seem to avoid the whole pump area).

Ever seen something like this?

Widescreen
5/31/2006, 12:15 PM
I'm not PG.

So I don't care.

;)

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 12:28 PM
That's cool.

And to be honest I just wanted to start one of those "Hey <username>" threads.

Jimminy Crimson
5/31/2006, 12:40 PM
I've heard of fishies eating plant roots, but I'd assume the smell and taste of their food would be better...

Have you tried going back to the old food or a different new food?

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 12:43 PM
Started the old food last night. Hopefully that's the deal.

At first I thought it might've been a disease but the other 2 plants are completely unaffected. Plus it happened so fast - they just.freaking.died.

soonerbrat
5/31/2006, 12:43 PM
my friend has a koi pond in her backyard and one day this big white bird came and ate all the fish.

yermom
5/31/2006, 12:45 PM
watch out for 'coons

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 12:46 PM
my friend has a koi pond in her backyard and one day this big white bird came and ate all the fish.

heh! He was all "...JACKPOT!"

Jimminy Crimson
5/31/2006, 12:48 PM

Did it have large talons? :cool:

proud gonzo
5/31/2006, 12:48 PM
yeah, sometimes they like plants. I wouldn't be surprised if they were eating the roots or something. It might be the type of food. I'll ask my mom--she pays more attention to the fish and plants than I do :D

proud gonzo
5/31/2006, 12:49 PM
it was probably an egret. I don't think they have talons.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 12:50 PM
watch out for 'coons

No kidding.

A couple of years ago I saw one sitting on the edge of my pond just getting his grub on.

I run out there, he runs off and I see this pile of fish skeletons with heads and tails on them.

He was a very efficient little critter. :mack:

soonerbrat
5/31/2006, 12:55 PM

I can't understand what you're saying.

and i don't know why they just sat inside and watched it..if they'd have gone out there, it would've gone away.

crawfish
5/31/2006, 12:59 PM

My parents had one. A blue heron decided to use it (and their neighbor's pond) as a fishing hole a few years back, and my parents couldn't do a thing about it 'cause it was a protected species.

Fortunately, their koi are so big now there ain't no birds big enough to grab 'em.

IB4OU2
5/31/2006, 01:11 PM
No kidding.

A couple of years ago I saw one sitting on the edge on my pond just getting his grub on.

I run out there, he runs off and I see this pile of fish skeletons with heads and tails on them.

He was a very efficient little critter. :mack:

Was his name Carl? :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 01:12 PM
I think his name was 'Ba$tard'.

:D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 01:27 PM
Can I bring my 6 year old niece over to fish in your pond? She loves fishing, but going to the lake is such a crapshoot. At least she'd know what she was catching this way. We'd throw em back. Not sure Koi are good eatin'

TIA.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 01:31 PM
Heh.

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 01:31 PM
Can I bring my 6 year old niece over to fish in your pond? She loves fishing, but going to the lake is such a crapshoot. At least she'd know what she was catching this way. We'd throw em back. Not sure Koi are good eatin'

TIA.

Sure but it's hand-fishing only at the PQ household.
And these shonbunken are fast & spook easily, unlike koi so she better pack a lunch! :)

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 01:33 PM

Whaaaa? :mack:

Mjcpr
5/31/2006, 01:33 PM

All I ever catch is Anaconda.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 01:35 PM
http://www.horror-wood.com/worm.h16.jpg

Mjcpr
5/31/2006, 01:36 PM
That's disturbing.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 01:37 PM
Whaaaa? :mack:Yeah that's the best kind. :eddie:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 01:38 PM
All I ever catch is Anaconda.Who's she?

TopDaugIn2000
5/31/2006, 01:41 PM
my aunt and uncle in LA have a HUGE koi pond (water fall, bridge, etc) with MASSIVE fish. Some of them are over 30 pounds and more than 20 years old. And these come directly from Australia and japan, none of these local "american raised fish". Anyway, auntie can't keep lillies and such in her pond cause they eat them constantly. She just keeps buying more and more plants, and the fish keep eating them. It's just part of it.

Also, once in a while she'll halve a few grapefruit, put them on a stick, and float them in the pond. OH MAN do they love to eat grapefriut pulp. They go nuts. And apparently it's really good for them.

She had a REALLY large yellow koi that had a tumor one time. They airmailed it to a guy in Atlanta that performs koi surgery. He removed the tumor and sent the fish back. It lived for about 3 more years after that. I kid you not. Pics of the surgery were even on the InternetS.

Mjcpr
5/31/2006, 01:43 PM
I doubt those are even fish at all; probably just finned Camry's floating around.

Mjcpr
5/31/2006, 01:44 PM
Who's she?

Wouldn't you like to know??!! :eddie:

1stTimeCaller
5/31/2006, 01:45 PM
heaven forbid that an american raised fish made it's way into the pond. Everyone knows that american raised fish are the succ. Please tell me that those weren't american raised grapefruit she threw in there.

TopDaugIn2000
5/31/2006, 01:46 PM
oh, and the vet's info that did the surgery is here (http://koivet.com/)
the fish's name was Chiquita, guess they took off the pics. This was 4 or 5 years ago.

Mjcpr
5/31/2006, 01:46 PM
heaven forbid that an american raised fish made it's way into the pond. Everyone knows that american raised fish are the succ.

Even if there were only a couple in there, they'd be responsible for 85% of the pond crime.

TopDaugIn2000
5/31/2006, 01:47 PM
heaven forbid that an american raised fish made it's way into the pond. Everyone knows that american raised fish are the succ. Please tell me that those weren't american raised grapefruit she threw in there.

california. close enough to 'non american raised'

bri
5/31/2006, 01:58 PM
it was probably an egret. I don't think they have talons.

I EGRET NOTHING!!!!!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 02:14 PM
Found a pic of PQ. He's proud of his fish!
http://www.nootrope.net/koi/images/koi3.jpg

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 02:31 PM
Crap, I've been exposed! It's true.. I buy my underwears at Old Navy

:O

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 02:59 PM
Crap, I've been exposed! It's true.. I buy my underwears at Old Navy

:OSexy.:O

I mean the striped couch.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 03:00 PM
Heh.

Again.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 03:15 PM
I can just see the top of PQ's crack.

Oof.

proud gonzo
5/31/2006, 03:33 PM
my mom says that if you don't have rocks or mesh or something in the top of the pots where the lilies are planted, sometimes the fish (or frogs or whatever) will root around and dig up the plants. My mom has never had much luck with lilies.

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 03:42 PM
Okay thats interesting because the frogs are in full force this year. And I've got like triple the tadpoles I had last year or the year before. I thought they only ate bugs!?

The lilies have done amazing, I mean I have to get in and cut them back every 2 weeks because they just cover the whole pond. Well, I used to :mad:

Tell your mom I said hi :) and thx

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 03:43 PM
Oh and yea, the ones which are affected are the ones which kindof outgrew the pots and are basically growing off the pond floor. THe ones still in the buckets with the sandy-looking rocky stuff on top are still fine.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 03:53 PM
Your time is up.

We're done helping you now. Stop posting.

bri
5/31/2006, 03:56 PM
Man, YOU'VE certainly settled into being an IT person.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 03:57 PM
MOVE!!!

bri
5/31/2006, 04:06 PM
so, how does it feel to be dead inside? ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 04:07 PM
I'll know for sure when my Hawaiian shirt gets here...

:D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 04:47 PM
Did it hurt to get that tattoo on your neck? I think you should get a tramp stamp of a frog eating yo plants.

Partial Qualifier
5/31/2006, 05:06 PM
Did it hurt to get that tattoo on your neck? I think you should get a tramp stamp of a frog eating yo plants.

:mad:

Those frogs' days are numbered.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 09:48 PM
Good. I hate frogs. When I was a kid, one summer our neighborhood was overrun with frogs. I came home from playing outside and there were about 20 along our walkway like a plague or something. I think they crossed Western during the May 3 tornado and ended up in your addition.

IB4OU2
5/31/2006, 09:57 PM
We bought 5 koi from Walmart 5 years ago when we moved here and amazingly they are still alive we do nothing more than dechlorinate the water in the garden pond a couple times a year. Wev'e not fed them in years either.