PDA

View Full Version : Hornfans hyped about commit ratings

BASSooner
5/30/2006, 11:57 PM
yeah these delusional morons are flipping out because their prospects who just finished their junior year of high school have been announced to be 5 star players...I know they do this every year but come on...oh and for you hornfans.com lovers....nobody really cares, for sooner fans...this was made to bring up the kasey studdard thread to bring back the good times and keep us occupied until kickoff. For you noobs, go to FAQ and look for "Kasey Studdard" thread.

Enjoy.

Boomer Sooner

Tuck FexasHook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em

Soonerman08
5/31/2006, 10:12 AM
yeah these delusional morons are flipping out because their prospects who just finished their junior year of high school have been announced to be 5 star players...I know they do this every year but come on...oh and for you hornfans.com lovers....nobody really cares, for sooner fans...this was made to bring up the kasey studdard thread to bring back the good times and keep us occupied until kickoff. For you noobs, go to FAQ and look for "Kasey Studdard" thread.

Enjoy.

Boomer Sooner

Doesn't much matter anyways, we'll still beat them regardless of how many 5 star players they have.

Snrfn4ever08
5/31/2006, 11:18 AM
same ol' same ol' from those poor, stupid whorns

caphorns
5/31/2006, 11:47 AM
Don't worry guys. The 3-stars who really are 5-stars ;) are coming out in a few weeks. You guys may be in a pitched battle this year with the aggies for these Texas' diamonds in the rough. Your OL recruits will be loaded with PO-tential. ;)

toast
5/31/2006, 12:06 PM
geez, ut fans hyped about recruiting rankings? what's next, ut fans with thousands of posts on an opponent's message board?

Dances with Possums
5/31/2006, 12:12 PM
I don't know about being hyped about recruiting rankings, but I do know that the John Chiles tape, here, is some damned impressive stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b0oO0bdtHM&search=vince%20young

PDXsooner
5/31/2006, 12:24 PM
i hate to pee on your parade, but OU fans get just as whipped into a frenzy over "star" ratings and talk up this ridiculous recruiting game just as much. if the sooners had signed a few 5-star juniors we'd have 70% of this board creamin' their pants.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/31/2006, 01:09 PM
pfft, this board is still creaming their pants over granger

NormanPride
5/31/2006, 01:16 PM

Damnit! Now I have to change my pants again! :mad:

sooner518
5/31/2006, 01:46 PM
I don't know about being hyped about recruiting rankings, but I do know that the John Chiles tape, here, is some damned impressive stuff:

is he gonna be a QB or a receiver? He threw 3 balls on the entire tape. one was a badly underthrown bomb that his receiver caught. one was a 15 yard bullet and one was a nice 30 yard TD pass.

impressive athlete but he doesnt look like a great QB.

PDXsooner
5/31/2006, 01:55 PM

not as bad as dampeer...

BASSooner
5/31/2006, 01:59 PM
i hate to pee on your parade, but OU fans get just as whipped into a frenzy over "star" ratings and talk up this ridiculous recruiting game just as much. if the sooners had signed a few 5-star juniors we'd have 70% of this board creamin' their pants.
every team does just not to the extent of SAXET

TexasLidig8r
5/31/2006, 02:01 PM
every team does just not to the extent of SAXET

You obviously do not know many aggy from the Agricultural and Mechanical division of The University of Texas educational system.

aggy lives, breathes and defines the very essence of moral victories, wait till next year and our new fish are actually, the best in the nation.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/31/2006, 02:01 PM
not as bad as dampeer...

yes, but dampeer actually accomplished something on the griddle iron...

BASSooner
5/31/2006, 02:09 PM
You obviously do not know many aggy from the Agricultural and Mechanical division of The University of Texas educational system.

aggy lives, breathes and defines the very essence of moral victories, wait till next year and our new fish are actually, the best in the nation.
I'll be the judge of that when they actually play in real college football games. I do see what you say though and I do agree to a certain extent.

PDXsooner
5/31/2006, 03:04 PM

ha ha ha ha

Octavian
5/31/2006, 03:07 PM

its uncanny how much our aggies are like your aggies :eddie:

TexasLidig8r
5/31/2006, 03:15 PM
its uncanny how much our aggies are like your aggies :eddie:

True dat.

I do think your aggy is more incompetent whereas our aggy is more delusional.

Vaevictis
5/31/2006, 03:45 PM

I wonder how much of TAMU's increased competence is related to the fact that, as a bit of a miltiary school, the most incompetent of the lot were culled from the gene pool (in combat) a couple generations back?

(In fact, no, I really have no shame.)

caphorns
5/31/2006, 03:46 PM

this is why jkm is rated a 5-star poster

PDXsooner
5/31/2006, 04:26 PM
where does all the anger in college station come from?

Octavian
5/31/2006, 04:38 PM

lack of stuff to do ;)

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1811/sheepaggy8zh5lw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

props to NP (again)

caphorns
5/31/2006, 04:42 PM

Your basic inferiority complex. That - and mind you I'm just guessing here - but maybe sheep aren't big on snuggling.

Vaevictis
5/31/2006, 05:45 PM
Your basic inferiority complex. That - and mind you I'm just guessing here - but maybe sheep aren't big on snuggling.

Dude, it is no coincidence that their mascot is a sheep herding dog.

goingoneight
5/31/2006, 09:40 PM
Respect aTm for the sole purpose of the service men and women there. Now lOSUr, on the other hand...

goingoneight
5/31/2006, 09:45 PM

Looks good at running, but...
1. the competition was weak, no fan support in the stands shows that.
2. Many clips are from an apparent blow-out victory
3. Not-so-accurate deep ball, excellent WRs saved his @$$ many times.
4. Near perfect OL, look at the holes he crept through.
5. If you know who Jenks and Union are, Kejuan Jones was from Jenks... They do this kind of raping to most of the good teams in Oklahoma becuase of their richie-rich boosters swaying superstars away from other schools to play for them. The fact that the last 10 state titles belong to UHS or JHS is evident that something squirrelly is going on to keep them atop. Is this by chance a star QB for a power-house Texas HS team???

BASSooner
5/31/2006, 09:49 PM
Funny how they are comparing Chiles to VY and Vick. The kid is NOT a QB when he steps onto a college campus...

SouthBeachSooner
6/1/2006, 12:02 AM
Who the F*** is John Chiles? Sounds like something I passed in the bowl this morning.

snp
6/1/2006, 12:09 AM
Looks good at running, but...
1. the competition was weak, no fan support in the stands shows that.

They played some quality teams. And it was Texas-5A. The competition wasn't that bad.

2. Many clips are from an apparent blow-out victory

Maybe they're blowouts because of Chiles.

4. Near perfect OL, look at the holes he crept through.

His OL will be better at college so I don't see how this matters. His running ability is awesome.

Is this by chance a star QB for a power-house Texas HS team???

No. This HS was only founded a few years ago so there goes another one of your theories.

And we offered him.

caphorns
6/1/2006, 08:08 AM
In all fairness, it may be that Stoops was not willing to offer him as a QB. Mack did even though Chiles has never been a full time starter at QB. He'll start at QB this season for Mansfield Summit. So we'll see how he does throwing the ball. Some of this got kind of ugly with Ryan Mallet's recruitment. Ryan came out with a statement to the effect that he was told by some "insiders" that Chiles was not recruited by Texas as a QB (so he didn't consider him competition). About 3 days later Mack put a deadline on Mallet's *** - Mallett didn't commit - and John Brantley commits a couple days later.

So it's your typical recruiting soap opera.

Personally, I'm damn glad we have 5-star Brantley around if for some reason Chiles slides from the QB spot.

MiccoMacey
6/1/2006, 09:18 AM
Why do you need Chiles when we are constantly told how Snead and McCoy are sure-fire Heisman candidates right now?

Herr Scholz
6/1/2006, 11:16 AM
Why do you need Chiles when we are constantly told how Snead and McCoy are sure-fire Heisman candidates right now?
A) Nobody has said our two FR QBs are Heisman worthy right now. They will be better than you guys think though. How could they not?

B) Brantley has already said he's redshirting, which means McCoy and Snead will be Juniors by the time he's a RS FR in '08. Don't know what Chiles' plan is. He'll definitely get a shot at QB though.

caphorns
6/1/2006, 11:47 AM

Where did you hear that? I've only hear Charles mentioned as a possible Longhorn Heisman candidate. Personally, I view Sead, McCoy and Bomar as about the same odds - NEGLIGIBLE. Actually, I'd give Snead or McCoy the slight edge only because I've seen what Bomar (and your offensive line) can (and can't) do.

Big Red Ron
6/1/2006, 12:08 PM
Where did you hear that? I've only hear Charles mentioned as a possible Longhorn Heisman candidate. Personally, I view Sead, McCoy and Bomar as about the same odds - NEGLIGIBLE. Actually, I'd give Snead or McCoy the slight edge only because I've seen what Bomar (and your offensive line) can (and can't) do.That's just stupid. Bomar is the preseason second team Big XII QB as a TRUE SOPH. You guys thought Vince was special after bumbled through hid first year. What's different?Hook 'em

caphorns
6/1/2006, 12:57 PM
What's different?

Are you serious? Most of a deep starting OL returned for Vince by his last year. Vince didn't have skills he had mad f'n crazy *** skills. Vince didn't win the Heisman at all and wasn't in serious contention until his junior year. Vince spent his entire off-season before Junior year devoted to working out and studying film (not snarking beers at pro bball games). Vince is faster, bigger and more elusive as a runner. Vince breaks games open, Bomar is a decent to good QB.

In all fairness, Bomar could develop into a very good QB this year. Given that there aren't alot of solid starting QBs returning in the Big 12, I can see where Bomar got 2nd team by default. But truly I've yet to see any plays, series of downs etc where my jaw dropped watching Bomar play the game. With Vince, it was almost instantaneous. Once he got the speed of the game, got a solid line and WR corps behind him, and got comfortable with the playcalling, he was just plain deadly. I am saying right now I think McCoy/Snead have as good a chance, only because I just don't know yet how good these guys are and whether they can make the highlight plays and accumulate the gaudy stats (and wins) that put you in Heisman contention. I personally don't think it's going to happen with Bomar - but that doesn't mean he can't win games and be very effective.

BASSooner
6/1/2006, 01:06 PM
Are you serious? Most of a deep starting OL returned for Vince by his last year. Vince didn't have skills he had mad f'n crazy *** skills. Vince didn't win the Heisman at all and wasn't in serious contention until his junior year. Vince spent his entire off-season before Junior year devoted to working out and studying film (not snarking beers at pro bball games). Vince is faster, bigger and more elusive as a runner. Vince breaks games open, Bomar is a decent to good QB.

In all fairness, Bomar could develop into a very good QB this year. Given that there aren't alot of solid starting QBs returning in the Big 12, I can see where Bomar got 2nd team by default. But truly I've yet to see any plays, series of downs etc where my jaw dropped watching Bomar play the game. With Vince, it was almost instantaneous. Once he got the speed of the game, got a solid line and WR corps behind him, and got comfortable with the playcalling, he was just plain deadly. I am saying right now I think McCoy/Snead have as good a chance, only because I just don't know yet how good these guys are and whether they can make the highlight plays and accumulate the gaudy stats (and wins) that put you in Heisman contention. I personally don't think it's going to happen with Bomar - but that doesn't mean he can't win games and be very effective.
take those burnt orange goggles off

josh09
6/1/2006, 01:35 PM

Enjoy.

Boomer Sooner

hehe, "noobs" :D

doesnt texass do this every year?

josh09
6/1/2006, 01:38 PM

vince is gonna get his head ripped off in the nfl if he does all that dancing crap he did in college while trying to get away from defenders.

besides, he was your whole team, so dont talk **** about your o-line

Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em Hook 'em :twinkies: Hook 'em

Herr Scholz
6/1/2006, 02:09 PM
besides, he was your whole team, so dont talk **** about your o-line

It was a consensus that UT and USC had the best two O lines in the country last year and we get 3 starters back plus another guy Hills who played a lot. UT had the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the country behind that line. We had 2,500+ yards rushing not counting VY's 1K.

In addition, I think a certain Thorpe award winning top 10 NFL draft pick might disagree with your statement as well.

Octavian
6/1/2006, 02:11 PM
I view Sead, McCoy and Bomar as about the same odds - NEGLIGIBLE. Actually, I'd give Snead or McCoy the slight edge only because I've seen what Bomar (and your offensive line) can (and can't) do.

Bomar has a year of game experience under his belt....a year, a spring, and a summer of practice w/ his WR corps.

Snead/Colt will have a better OLine.

I dont know if you watched us much late in the year, but RB in November and December was a completely different QB than in September and October. I'm not a blind sunshine pumper but he did win the Holiday Bowl MVP as a freshman against a pretty decent Oregon D.

He was a frosh qb on the youngest team in the country who had to play the nation's toughest schedule.....not exactly the dream scenario.

And we won 6 *cough, cough, sand aggy* of our last 7 w/ him behind center.

jccouger
6/1/2006, 02:33 PM
That's just stupid. Bomar is the preseason second team Big XII QB as a TRUE SOPH.

Hes not a true soph. He is a redshirt soph

BASSooner
6/1/2006, 02:37 PM
It was a consensus that UT and USC had the best two O lines in the country last year and we get 3 starters back plus another guy Hills who played a lot. UT had the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the country behind that line. We had 2,500+ yards rushing not counting VY's 1K.

In addition, I think a certain Thorpe award winning top 10 NFL draft pick might disagree with your statement as well.
The things that will keep ut alive during the season will be several things. Chizik, OL, and Charles. OL remains solid and strong but a tad weaker as will allen and johnathen scott are both gone. Hills is a good replacement. Defense lost VERY valuable players, but Chizik, Griffin, and those DEs will hold it together. QB inexperience will KILL u guys. You guys will have it a little easier than we did because of the line but trust me, it will be an impact.

Dances with Possums
6/1/2006, 03:09 PM
You guys thought Vince was special after bumbled through hid first year. What's different?

Are you asking, with a straight face, what the difference between Rhett Bomar and Vince Young is?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2006, 03:22 PM
Are you asking, with a straight face, what the difference between Rhett Bomar and Vince Young is?

are you saying with a straight face that rhett bomar isn't farther along throwing the football than young was his RS FR year? are you also saying that bomar will not make the quantum leap in his passing that vince did between his RS SO and RS JR years?

BASSooner
6/1/2006, 03:22 PM
If your comparing RS JR VY and RS FR RB, then why are you talking?

Herr Scholz
6/1/2006, 03:31 PM
The things that will keep ut alive during the season will be several things. Chizik, OL, and Charles. OL remains solid and strong but a tad weaker as will allen and johnathen scott are both gone. Hills is a good replacement. Defense lost VERY valuable players, but Chizik, Griffin, and those DEs will hold it together. QB inexperience will KILL u guys. You guys will have it a little easier than we did because of the line but trust me, it will be an impact.
Fair assessment. I would also add that our two DTs Okam and Miller, along with a bigger hitting MLB in Muckelroy, will improve our run defense up the gut. UT had a top 10 overall defense last year but our run D was rated #42.

BASSooner
6/1/2006, 03:37 PM
Fair assessment. I would also add that our two DTs Okam and Miller, along with a bigger hitting MLB in Muckelroy, will improve our run defense up the gut. UT had a top 10 overall defense last year but our run D was rated #42.
yeah i didnt forget about okam and miller. they'll be great players on that DL of yours. Your D will be like OUrs last year but more of a better pass defense

Luthor
6/1/2006, 05:11 PM
I think the whole star this and that is worth more to sports boards than it is to football coaches. Ask Pete Carroll. I expect he would trade a couple 5 star recruits to get back some of his people who left early (in droves) for the NFL.
A 5 star maybe-so for a 3 star play maker who bailed early?

goingoneight
6/1/2006, 09:59 PM
They played some quality teams. And it was Texas-5A. The competition wasn't that bad.

Maybe they're blowouts because of Chiles.

His OL will be better at college so I don't see how this matters. His running ability is awesome.

No. This HS was only founded a few years ago so there goes another one of your theories.

And we offered him.

I hope you all look at some of the "dominant" and "greatest high school athletes to ever play the game" like Kejuan Jones (god bless KJ), and realize that it's hardly ever the high school hero who does the biggest things in college ball.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/1/2006, 10:36 PM
True dat.

Unless you need to jerk off a horse. That's about the only time that Okie Lite can call themselves "tOSU".

Jason White's Third Knee
6/1/2006, 10:38 PM
I hope you all look at some of the "dominant" and "greatest high school athletes to ever play the game" like Kejuan Jones (god bless KJ), and realize that it's hardly ever the high school hero who does the biggest things in college ball.

Sorry dude, but just about anyone that makes the OU squad was a high school hero. And for that matter AD was pretty good in high school.

snp
6/2/2006, 12:11 PM

This is such a copout. Sure sometimes they pan out, but what about when they don't? Like JWTK said, AD was a HS hero. So were a lot of guys. Of course we don't know how good they'll be at the next level, but it's an indication of their talent.

And yea, our whole team is made out of HS heros. We're not recruiting water boys here.

caphorns
6/2/2006, 01:39 PM
Bomar has a year of game experience under his belt....a year, a spring, and a summer of practice w/ his WR corps.

Snead/Colt will have a better OLine.

I dont know if you watched us much late in the year, but RB in November and December was a completely different QB than in September and October. I'm not a blind sunshine pumper but he did win the Holiday Bowl MVP as a freshman against a pretty decent Oregon D.

He was a frosh qb on the youngest team in the country who had to play the nation's toughest schedule.....not exactly the dream scenario.

And we won 6 *cough, cough, sand aggy* of our last 7 w/ him behind center.

I thought I was pretty clear in saying Bomar was a good QB with potential to be very good. His completion percentage is admirable. His arm is more than sufficient. He's decent (not great) on the run. He has decent vision. On the downside, his leadership skills are very, very questionable. But he did barely sniff out some wins over clearly inferior overall competition with a hell of a RB behind him. I personally don't think the Oregon win is as impressive as you guys tout - probably for the same reasons that you guys didn't think our 2004 Rose Bowl win was all that impressive. Quality of opponent. No reason to go down that rabbit hole.

This really boils down to the weapons at each QB's disposal. I'd give Snead/McCoy the edge (of the QBs who have really almost no chance of winning the Heisman this year) simply because they will likely enjoy better protection all year. I hope that makes it simple for you defenders of the honor of the Great Bomar to understand. ;)

caphorns
6/2/2006, 01:44 PM
are you also saying that bomar will not make the quantum leap in his passing that vince did between his RS SO and RS JR years?

most QBs don't make that size of a leap is all most of us are saying. I won't speak to what DWP was referring to but every mediocre QB in their first season could claim to be the next Vince Young by your standards. Where's the evidence that this Quantum Leap is about to happen? I don't see anything that special in the highlight reels. What about the off-season leadership? All I heard was about dude's arrests in the off-season.

For comparison, I was expecting a whole lot more out of Chad Henne last year than what came out. Same for Chris Leak. Both had as much unrealized potential as Rhett.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/2/2006, 01:52 PM
For comparison, I was expecting a whole lot more out of Chad Henne last year than what came out. Same for Chris Leak. Both had as much unrealized potential as Rhett.

thanks for making my point.

tnobis60
6/2/2006, 02:33 PM
I think Bomar is a good QB. He has a sufficient arm, and good legs, but please do not compare him to VY. It's just insulting. Even at his best, there is no way Bomar could could close to what VY does with his legs. I agree that maybe this season, Bomar could have a break out year with his arm, but he has a long way to go.

Yes, i am one of those "morons" who gets excited about signing two 5 star QBs in John Brantley and John Chiles. Simply, because I'd rather not have a so-so recuriting class, hoping that a few 3 stars become really good like a few of them do, because many of them end up being what they are, so-so.

Yes, maybe some 5 stars don't live up to their billing. I'm okay with that, as long as a few do, because that is all it takes, one superstar to make that spark. (ie Adrian Peterson, ie VY, ie Reggie Bush)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/2/2006, 02:42 PM
I think Bomar is a good QB. He has a sufficient arm, and good legs, but please do not compare him to VY. It's just insulting. Even at his best, there is no way Bomar could could close to what VY does with his legs. I agree that maybe this season, Bomar could have a break out year with his arm, but he has a long way to go.

Yes, i am one of those "morons" who gets excited about signing two 5 star QBs in John Brantley and John Chiles. Simply, because I'd rather not have a so-so recuriting class, hoping that a few 3 stars become really good like a few of them do, because many of them end up being what they are, so-so.

Yes, maybe some 5 stars don't live up to their billing. I'm okay with that, as long as a few do, because that is all it takes, one superstar to make that spark. (ie Adrian Peterson, ie VY, ie Reggie Bush)

um, we went to MNC games with a parapalegic at QB. i actually prefer it when they have no reason to use their legs.

Scott D
6/2/2006, 02:56 PM
Ya know...if you look over there long enough you'll see that over on Hornfans they get hyped about rating Bevo's droppings.

TexasLidig8r
6/2/2006, 03:11 PM
um, we went to MNC games with a parapalegic at QB. . .

We won a MNC with a QB who could use his. ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/2/2006, 03:34 PM

strangely, it wasn't until he could THROW that you got there. 65-13 and 0 were what happened before that event.

freshchris05
6/2/2006, 03:36 PM
We won a MNC with a QB who has an IQ of negative 6. ;)

Fixed it...

Radio Flyer was a good college qb but he better hope he stays healthy in the pros, could you see him as an sports announcer... Just imagine haha yeah i **** my pants...

Jason White's Third Knee
6/2/2006, 03:38 PM

Hey, now. Heupel was about as mobile as Bernie Kosar. He also has an elbow the size of a grapefruit during the MNC and OU won (yay defense!). White had 2 formerly ripped up knees and a broken bone in his foot when we played LSU and I still think we should have won that game. (you bastard!)

AS for the comparisons to VY, why would I want to compare his junior year with Bomar's frosh year? Seems a little unfair. Now if we compare VY's frosh year with Bomar's frosh year, I feel pretty good about our chances. Vince never blew me away until last year... and he blew me away. His greatest game ever just happened to be against usc. Good for him.

Give Bomar a chance to have the same center, same line, same receivers. People keep forgeting that he had THREE centers. That's a big timing and feel issue. The line was unstable to say the least. Solve those issues and we beat UCLA and TCU. We did beat TT, but it didn't count. That only leaves the loss to Texas and well, they were simply the best team in the nation that year, lead by a magician. I'll accept that loss.

Last year could have easily been 1, 2 or 3 loss year. That would have made Bomar more a hero, and less a scape goat. Hell, George Washington lost a lot more battles than he won, but I still think he was the right man for the job.

TexasLidig8r
6/2/2006, 03:57 PM
On to a slightly different topic.... do you good people believe that Bomar has the potential to elevate the play of his teammates?

As for Bomar now, many of the remarks now seem to be, "if the offensive line jells.... Peterson will have a great year thus freeing up Bomar... the wide receiver corp for Bomar is great...." Is there an assumption that Bomar needs those things to happen for him to be able to grow?

Putting all that aside, do you believe that Bomar has that certain intangible quality, which for some unknown reason, results in his teammates playing above their abilities?

tnobis60
6/2/2006, 04:03 PM
To be honest, i'm more afraid of Bomar's legs than his arm. Seriously, i just remember Bomar never being able to complete a pass, and if he did, it was a miracle. Of course that could be because he was never allowed any time in the pocket.

Mjcpr
6/2/2006, 04:04 PM
To be honest, i'm more afraid of Bomar's legs than his arm. Seriously, i just remember Bomar never being able to complete a pass, and if he did, it was a miracle. Of course that could be because he was never allowed any time in the pocket.

Yeah, I'd say that was a HUGE part of it. The drops didn't help either.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/2/2006, 04:09 PM
On to a slightly different topic.... do you good people believe that Bomar has the potential to elevate the play of his teammates?

As for Bomar now, many of the remarks now seem to be, "if the offensive line jells.... Peterson will have a great year thus freeing up Bomar... the wide receiver corp for Bomar is great...." Is there an assumption that Bomar needs those things to happen for him to be able to grow?

Putting all that aside, do you believe that Bomar has that certain intangible quality, which for some unknown reason, results in his teammates playing above their abilities?

For the life of me, I can't think of one great qb that had a crappy line. So, yeah. He can't grow if he is running for his life and taking snaps from a stranger.

As for Bomar having that Heupel/Applewhite intangible quality, who knows? It's premature to decide on something like that. I like his tools. I like his fire. I can't expect him to have the maturity that older players have. So here's to hoping.

101sooner
6/2/2006, 04:16 PM

He has no potential. Even with a solid o-line, a healthy AA running-back, and talented, now experienced receivers, he won't grow or get better. From what I can tell, the better he plays, the worse his teammates play, so no, he has no intangibles.

Dork.

Octavian
6/2/2006, 04:17 PM
Seriously, i just remember Bomar never being able to complete a pass, and if he did, it was a miracle.

Since you probably only saw him in one game (in Dallas) here's how RB ended up his freshman season in 05.

167 completions on 308 attempts
2,018 yards
54.2% completion rate

caphorns
6/2/2006, 04:32 PM
thanks for making my point.

How so? All I said is the kid has as much potential (frankly I'm probably giving him too much credit) as a couple of strong arms on quality programs who have mostly disappointed and haven't sniffed an invite to the Heisman ceremonies.

How does that make your point?

tnobis60
6/2/2006, 05:04 PM
are you saying those are good stats? According to ESPN, Bomar was ranked #88 out of 117 Qbs. It probably had to do with the 1/1 TD/INT ratio. yeah, that is stellar. You can't blame it all on the line. He was only sacked 19 times. There are QBs above him who were sacked 30 times, but somehow they were able to pass.

TexasLidig8r
6/2/2006, 05:06 PM
He has no potential. Even with a solid o-line, a healthy AA running-back, and talented, now experienced receivers, he won't grow or get better. From what I can tell, the better he plays, the worse his teammates play, so no, he has no intangibles.

Dork.

Jebus.. don't be an aggy.

The inquiry was very legit. Look at what Jordan did, or Magic did in pro b-ball... Would Pippin be as highly regarded as he was without Jordan? No way. Some players just have the ability, through leadership qualities, or through performance, or some quality, to have his teammates perform beyond their perceived limitations. Applewhite and Heupel didn't have major talent.. yet they seemingly "willed" their teams to wins.

Unquestionably, Bomar will grow.. just from experience alone. Whether he has those intangibles or not is a very legit question.

Octavian
6/2/2006, 05:33 PM
are you saying those are good stats? According to ESPN, Bomar was ranked #88 out of 117 Qbs. It probably had to do with the 1/1 TD/INT ratio. yeah, that is stellar. You can't blame it all on the line. He was only sacked 19 times. There are QBs above him who were sacked 30 times, but somehow they were able to pass.

Well, they're better than VY's frosh numbers.

84 completions on 143 attempts
1,155 yards
58.7%
6 TDs, 7 INTs

soonerspiff
6/2/2006, 05:50 PM
Well, they're better than VY's frosh numbers.

84 completions on 143 attempts
1,155 yards
58.7%
6 TDs, 7 INTs

Actually, I'd say they're about even, although that's not including VY's rushing yards vs. Bomar's... which probably gives him the edge. But again, you have to factor in offensive line, receivers, etc.

There's no real objective way to compare the two.

Octavian
6/2/2006, 06:04 PM
There's no real objective way to compare the two.

No there isn't.

But the "it's a miracle when he completes a pass" stuff is old. I posted VY's fosh stats to show that he didn't exactly set the world on fire either when he was a pup.

Bomar's not Joe Montana but he's got all the tools needed to lead OU to a BigXII championship, maybe more.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/2/2006, 06:12 PM
How so? All I said is the kid has as much potential (frankly I'm probably giving him too much credit) as a couple of strong arms on quality programs who have mostly disappointed and haven't sniffed an invite to the Heisman ceremonies.

How does that make your point?

my point was, as fans, we have a horrible track record for predicting progression of players. fans always say "x sucks and will never be good" or "x is a 1st rounder" and the odds would be better if they played blackjack blindfolded.

my random guess is that bomar isn't going to be an elite guy and i base that on the way that long recruited. it was like chuck's blueprint for the perfect college quarterback was todd marinovich and, by God, every year he managed to find one. of course, heupel might be able to get through to him and make me eat crow...

Oldnslo
6/2/2006, 06:28 PM
For the life of me, I can't think of one great qb that had a crappy line.
Archie Manning, New Orleans Saints.

Big Red Ron
6/2/2006, 08:03 PM
Archie Manning, New Orleans Saints.Joe Montana, 49ers 1984.

You people that are questioning Bomar's abilities are either hedging your bets (for emotional reasons) or just have not watched him much.

Rhett threw about six of his ten INTs in the first couple of games. Dude's not a Steve Young type runner but certainly could be as effective a runner as Elway.

Best regards,

Ron

caphorns
6/5/2006, 03:13 PM
You do have to go back aways, but in addition to Joe and Archie, there was Fran Tarkington.

All of these guys played in truly a different era for football. I don't think you can get by with the sh!t @ss line anymore. Today's defensive linemen are too fast for that crap.

tnobis60
6/5/2006, 03:17 PM
Bomar sucks

101sooner
6/5/2006, 03:58 PM
Bomar sucks

Frickin 'Horns.

85sooners
6/6/2006, 10:39 PM
Hook 'em
Bomar sucks screw you hornHook 'em

badger
6/6/2006, 10:44 PM
I've got a good one:
Vince is so stupid he thinks a quarterback is a refund.
http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/05/01/06/young.jpg

Dances with Possums
6/7/2006, 01:44 AM
Something to think about:

Rivals has put out its top 100 list. Texas has nine players on that list, with chances still at a couple of more. Oklahoma has one commit. Six other top 10 players list Oklahoma, but realistically it looks like you might only get a couple of them.

Mack is building a wall around Texas and starving you of your traditional lifeblood.

snp
6/7/2006, 02:25 AM

Rivals has put out its top 100 list. Texas has nine players on that list, with chances still at a couple of more. Oklahoma has one commit. Six other top 10 players list Oklahoma, but realistically it looks like you might only get a couple of them.

Mack is building a wall around Texas and starving you of your traditional lifeblood.

Something else to think about:

You're a moron. We only offered 3 outta those 9 guys on the Texas committ list. We're dealing with much tighter scholarship limits than you guys. And it's only JUNE. Plenty of time for them to switch.

Mack probably won this round, but he just came off a MNC and charismatic VY. Wait until AD is in the spotlight this year, and we'll see how it goes next year.

[Insert obligatory 2000 OU team remark when dealing with UT recruiting talk.]

Mack hasn't built **** yet.

badger
6/7/2006, 08:47 PM
yes, texas has great recruits. and we all know that great recruits are good for the cotton and holiday bowls for four straight years :D

TJKDone
6/7/2006, 09:53 PM
yes, texas has great recruits. and we all know that great recruits are good for the cotton and holiday bowls for four straight years :D

They've worked out pretty well in the last few Rose Bowl's too:D

Hook'em

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/7/2006, 10:11 PM

I literally laughed out loud when I read this

badger
6/7/2006, 10:22 PM

Hook'em

ooo negspek'em

sooner94
6/9/2006, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the laugh.

Why is it that all of the sudden UT fans have memories going only back to 2005?

badger
6/9/2006, 12:44 AM
Vince Young is so stupid that when he heard Ali was a draft dodger, he asked "did some team pick him up in free agency?"
http://www.sportscrack.com/images/top10quarterbackncaa8.jpg
Mack: "That's my boy!"

Dances with Possums
6/9/2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the laugh.

Why is it that all of the sudden UT fans have memories going only back to 2005?

My memory goes back a lot farther than 2005.

Do you understand the concept of trends? Last year, for the first time in forever, you got more kids from Oklahoma than you did from Texas.

This year, Mack will most likely have 11 and maybe 12 members of the Rivals 100 --- 10 of whom come from Texas. There won't be many players from Texas that will get added to the RIVALS 100 from the point on. Coach Stoops has been effectively shut out of Texas this year for most of the top ranked, elite talent. And, since Mack has shown an ability to keep a far higher percentage of kids enrolled than Coach Stoops has, the trend is not a good one for the Sooners, in my opinion.

Of course, I could be wrong. Its just that a) OU has traditionally depended on top Texas talent in the years that it has been great and b) I just don't see Coach Stoops getting much of the top-ranked talent out of Texas for the foreseeable future. Mack's got it rolling, recruitingwise, and the only chink in his armor ---- that he can't win the big one ---- has been effectively shot down by the last two Rose Bowls. And OU, and especially Norman, doesn't have the same kind of national cachet that, say, Miami, USC, Notre Dame, or even Michigan have so, in my opinion, it's going to be tougher sledding for OU over the next few years than it has been recently.

These things typically ebb and flow.

Oh, and congratulations on Desmond Jackson. He's a very good pickup, in my opinion.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/9/2006, 10:30 AM
strangely, i have the DATA of our recruiting classes under stoops.

rivals 100 players in the last 6 years from texas

9 DaBryan Blanton Forney TX
45 Tommie Harris Killeen TX
46 Micheal Hawkins Carrollton TX
47 Donta Hickson McKinley TX
126 Tony Cade Lewisville TX
142 Alonzo Dotson Alief TX
255 Rhett Bomar Grand Prairie TX
273 Adrian Peterson Palestine TX
279 Marcus Walker Waco TX
291 Malcolm Kelly Longview TX
293 Keenan Clayton Sulphur Springs TX
310 DeMarcus Granger Dallas TX

total players from texas (included decommits)

2 Gayron Allen NULL TX
3 Noah Allen Pearland TX
7 Eric Bassey Garland TX
12 Chris Bush Channelview TX
14 Vince Carter Waco TX
15 Kelvin Chaisson Beaumont TX
23 Pete Cuva NULL TX
26 Trey DiCarlo Carrolton TX
28 Dusty Dvoracek Lake Dallas TX
30 Abner Estrada Carrollton TX
33 Curtis Fagan Katy TX
41 Quentin Griffin Aldine TX
53 Clint Ingram Hallsville TX
54 Jonathan Jackson Houston TX
56 Brandon Jones Texarkana TX
63 Jeff Lebby Andrews TX
71 James Moses Houston TX
81 Brodney Pool Houston TX
85 Brett Rayl Lewisville TX
104 Calvin Thibodeaux Houston TX
106 Paul Thompson Leander TX
113 Travis Wilson Carrollton TX
122 John Williams Houston TX
123 Demarrio Pleasant Lewisville TX
125 Lewis Baker Carrollton TX
128 Darien Williams Mesquite TX
129 Cody Freeby Fort Worth TX
130 Joe John Finley Arlington TX
131 Marcus Johnson Abilene TX
132 Steven Coleman Dallas TX
135 Michael Northern Houston TX
136 Fred Fleeks Navasota TX
145 Jacob Gutierrez San Antonio TX
148 Antonn Reid Plano TX
150 Cameron Schacht Coppell TX
164 Jarrail Jackson Houston TX
185 Josh Norman NULL TX
250 J. D. Quinn Garland TX
251 Cory Bennett San Antonio TX
252 Randy McAdams Leander TX
253 Fred Strong Austin TX
254 Garrett Hartley Southlake TX
256 Alan Davis Colleyville TX
258 Lendy Holmes Dallas TX
265 Jarvis Smith Aldine TX
266 Rod Taylor Arlington TX
270 Trey Whitlock Arlington TX
274 Pierre Brown NULL TX
277 Hunter Wall Coppell TX
288 Roy Miller NULL TX
289 Manuel Johnson Gilmer TX
294 Auston English Canadian TX
302 Cordero Moore Mesquite TX
303 Brian Jackson De Soto TX
309 Juaquin Iglesias Killeen TX
798 Curtis Bailey Dallas TX
800 Eric Mensik Rosenburg TX
802 Trent Williams Longview TX
803 Jeremy Beal Carrolton TX
809 Adrian Taylor Mansfield TX
810 Malcolm Williams Grand Prairie TX

MiccoMacey
6/9/2006, 11:35 AM
strangely, i have the DATA of our recruiting classes under stoops.

rivals 100 players in the last 6 years from texas

total players from texas (included decommits)

9 DaBryan Blanton Forney TX - went to track, never really played for OU
45 Tommie Harris Killeen TX
46 Micheal Hawkins Carrollton TX - never played for OU
47 Donta Hickson McKinley TX - perpetual full-time back-up RB
126 Tony Cade Lewisville TX - kicked off team
142 Alonzo Dotson Alief TX - grades issues
255 Rhett Bomar Grand Prairie TX
273 Adrian Peterson Palestine TX
279 Marcus Walker Waco TX
291 Malcolm Kelly Longview TX
293 Keenan Clayton Sulphur Springs TX
310 DeMarcus Granger Dallas TX

So, of our 12 TX players on the Rivals 100, five have had a troubled career or left the team (I'm including Dotson since he's had some difficulties and hasn't contributed...yet)

MiccoMacey
6/9/2006, 11:44 AM

Note to self: Remember this post on June 9th, 2007 when we can switch names from Bomar to McCoy/Snead/whoever.

Dances with Possums
6/9/2006, 11:49 AM
Yes, Micco .. attrition is a bigger problem for the Sooners than it is for Texas. I think it's just always going to be that way when you recruit nationally as opposed to when you recruit locally. Local guys are more likely to stay in school, to have a support base, to have parents who can easily go to their games etc...

But it is also true that the 2002 class taught Mack his lesson. He's become much more selective regarding the types of players he recruits. Obviously, you're going to have some guys who still screw up or whose incredible talent makes coaches a little more willing to take a chance on them (Ramonce Taylor, for example) but, in general, its getting easier for Mack to hand pick guys who a) really want to come to Texas b) who, because of their academic and family backgrounds, stand a better chance of staying out of trouble.

The monkey is off of Mack's back. Recruiting has become a buyer's market for him and he can afford to be very choosy now. This has not always been the case.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/9/2006, 12:03 PM
did you just do a complete reversal? OU has much, much, much more success with non-OL from out of the rivals top 100 than they do with them. if i listed our total rivals top 100 players, you'd laugh. well over 50% of them are absolute duds (moe dampeer, jamar mozee, aaron miller) etc.

as for "stranglehold on the top talent in texas", think about the 2000 recruiting class. you had a "stranglehold" on the top then too. you landed the top 3 WRs in the state. we landed 2 WRs with only one in the texas top 100 (will peoples). the other one that didn't even make websider's top 130? mark clayton. if you back our coaches into a corner and make them actually have to look for talent they come up with some incredible players.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/10/2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah. Take that, biyitch.

goingoneight
6/10/2006, 09:56 PM
Why are people downing Bob Stoops' recruiting efforts? Sure he considers a guy labeled a five-star athlete, but he also doesn't go and offer a guy until he evaluates their total HS career, and some he has watched since their junior high careers (example: G.K. McCoy). You absolutely cannot base what OU's future will be off of the fact that UT is getting Rivals top 100 players. Has anyone looked at how Stoops coaches, so far? He's known for taking in good athletes, pressing them to their limits in practice and conditioning, and moving players from their label to their strength.

I lost count back in 2000, the number of OU starters who came into Norman per say, an unraked QB, and finished a superstar WR. Some have come in as a superstar WR, and fumbled out of their O position to play corner. Mark Bradley, Paul Thompson, Reggie Smith, J.T. Thatcher, etc... the list goes on... Good talent will continue to flood the gates for OU football, that is why we have a good "coach" to make them champions. BTW... Who is the winningest coach of the 2000's so far??? And who just lingered around the top 25 until VY came along???

Octavian
6/10/2006, 10:31 PM
The monkey is off of Mack's back.

If you lose to either tOSU or OU in 06, every college football media outlet in America will begin to pose the question:

"Wasn't it really Vince all along?"

It'll be a black cloud over the Texas program until Mack wins another NC.

Hell, some people still don't give Phil Jackson his due credit.

You think they're gonna give Mack Brown, who never won so much as a game of Simon Says in his whole damn life before he met Vince Young, the benefit of the doubt?

Please.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/10/2006, 10:32 PM
Why are people downing Bob Stoops' recruiting efforts? Sure he considers a guy labeled a five-star athlete, but he also doesn't go and offer a guy until he evaluates their total HS career, and some he has watched since their junior high careers (example: G.K. McCoy). You absolutely cannot base what OU's future will be off of the fact that UT is getting Rivals top 100 players. Has anyone looked at how Stoops coaches, so far? He's known for taking in good athletes, pressing them to their limits in practice and conditioning, and moving players from their label to their strength.

I lost count back in 2000, the number of OU starters who came into Norman per say, an unraked QB, and finished a superstar WR. Some have come in as a superstar WR, and fumbled out of their O position to play corner. Mark Bradley, Paul Thompson, Reggie Smith, J.T. Thatcher, etc... the list goes on... Good talent will continue to flood the gates for OU football, that is why we have a good "coach" to make them champions. BTW... Who is the winningest coach of the 2000's so far??? And who just lingered around the top 25 until VY came along???

We had a bust recruiting year in 2003(?) and a crap ;load of starts were busts. This year, we got GREAT recruits to fill holes. That's not a media worthy class, because we needed a bunch of linemen. We still got a killer DL, TE, RB, and just a ton of great players to address our needs. To the media guys that rank on talant and not on needs, we suck!

Cam
6/11/2006, 07:35 AM
"Wasn't it really Vince all along?"
I find it funny that UT fans forget that they didn't go on their recent run until Mack "Left Vice alone and let him play his game".

In other words, it wasn't the coaching.

goingoneight
6/11/2006, 02:12 PM

Hook'em

Two visits and four points worth of victory... Good stuff. :D

goingoneight
6/11/2006, 02:14 PM
Looks like VY is gonna get thrown in the fire a little too early, since Tennessee traded their starter. Hope the slingshot works for him, cuz the NFL doesn't live wide open running lanes like the 2005 opponents' defenses did.

sooner94
6/11/2006, 11:27 PM

Do you understand the concept of trends? Last year, for the first time in forever, you got more kids from Oklahoma than you did from Texas.

This year, Mack will most likely have 11 and maybe 12 members of the Rivals 100 --- 10 of whom come from Texas. There won't be many players from Texas that will get added to the RIVALS 100 from the point on. Coach Stoops has been effectively shut out of Texas this year for most of the top ranked, elite talent. And, since Mack has shown an ability to keep a far higher percentage of kids enrolled than Coach Stoops has, the trend is not a good one for the Sooners, in my opinion.

Of course, I could be wrong. Its just that a) OU has traditionally depended on top Texas talent in the years that it has been great and b) I just don't see Coach Stoops getting much of the top-ranked talent out of Texas for the foreseeable future. Mack's got it rolling, recruitingwise, and the only chink in his armor ---- that he can't win the big one ---- has been effectively shot down by the last two Rose Bowls. And OU, and especially Norman, doesn't have the same kind of national cachet that, say, Miami, USC, Notre Dame, or even Michigan have so, in my opinion, it's going to be tougher sledding for OU over the next few years than it has been recently.

These things typically ebb and flow.

Oh, and congratulations on Desmond Jackson. He's a very good pickup, in my opinion.

First of all, two of the players we got from Oklahoma (McCoy and Gresham) were the best players at their position.

Tougher sledding in recruiting? After a down year we had a top 5 class. And remember, players get better when they come to OU. Can't always say that about Texas.

caphorns
6/12/2006, 11:24 AM
So VY won it all by himself despite the coaching, but he's a terrible QB. And OU's secondary is just fine and they have the best DL and LBs in the country that cannot be beat (unless by a terrible QB who improvises any ole offense he feels like). And your OL is fine and better than last year because they have fewer experienced players. And 5-star and 4-star recruits don't matter.

Ah. Delusion. It's not just for aggies any more ;)

FlatheadSooner
6/12/2006, 11:49 AM
And your OL is fine and better than last year because they have fewer experienced players.

OUr OL this year will have more experienced players than last year, although they will be younger.

JohnnyMack
6/12/2006, 11:55 AM
So VY won it all by himself despite the coaching, but he's a terrible QB. And OU's secondary is just fine and they have the best DL and LBs in the country that cannot be beat (unless by a terrible QB who improvises any ole offense he feels like). And your OL is fine and better than last year because they have fewer experienced players. And 5-star and 4-star recruits don't matter.

VY is a TERRIFIC athlete. A real stud. Whether or not his style of play translates to the NFL remains to be seen.

FlatheadSooner
6/12/2006, 12:00 PM

Do you understand the concept of trends?

The ultimate trend is playing in National Championships - and we've been in a few over the last six years. I like that trend.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/12/2006, 12:28 PM
So VY won it all by himself despite the coaching, but he's a terrible QB.

he is a great college QB but then again so was eric crouch.

And OU's secondary is just fine and they have the best DL and LBs in the country that cannot be beat (unless by a terrible QB who improvises any ole offense he feels like). And your OL is fine and better than last year because they have fewer experienced players.

college football fans are like a pendulum. in the offseason, no team has any weaknesses and everyone thinks their team has a chance at the title. a couple of games into the season, the pendulum is either still stuck or has swung to the other side - doom and gloom. a good example would be us last year, we were title contenders two weeks before fall practice and then after our first 2 games, we were going to be lucky to win 3.

And 5-star and 4-star recruits don't matter.

what matters is getting good football players that can stay eligible. whether those football players have a 2 star tag or a 5 star tag is irrelevant. as a matter of a fact, college football is perilously close to becoming like college baseball. where a team that goes out and gets the best high school non-MLB calibre talent is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

whether you want to admit it or not, the sustained dominance of texas is directly related to their lack of early entrants. OU has absolutely been killed by early entrants. it seems, we are always one piece away from a national title.
2002 - safety - TGRW
2003 - DE - wilkerson - this is probably the weakest example, but we did lack pressure that year
2004 - DL - harris (and dusty)
2005 - S - pool

do you really want me to go pull some hornfans posts from 2001, 2002, 2003?

sooner94
6/12/2006, 12:31 PM
Does one year represent a trend? Absolutley not.

You make the conclusion that Mack has "built a wall around Texas" from last year's recruiting class.

You are merely trying to support your biased opinion.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/12/2006, 12:33 PM
heh, i said we were one player away from a MNC last year.

caphorns
6/12/2006, 01:54 PM
good post jkm. I was only ribbing some of you and no single poster in particular.

The point about early entrants has some validity as well. But it's not so much the quality of the recruit as it is the environment you bring them to. If you're claim to fame is as a NFL factory - ala Miami - then you will mostly have early departures. The good news is that (1) you get them a minimum of 3 years and (2) you can shore up your depth with substantial numbers of fresh recruits every year. OU mostly did a good job of this. (notice how OU had more scholly's available than Texas in many years). Thus OU is now in a position to do extremely well - with one glaring f'n hole - OL. And the reasons for attrition there are multiple as has been discussed on here and elsewhere ad nauseum.

Texas has built a squad based not on NFL potential, but bringing kids and their families into a family atmosphere. Mack takes on this father-figure role and it mostly works out. Our biggest issue is having players get complacent (ala Cedric Benson in 2003-2004 time frame or even Roy Williams). I'd even put RT in that "complacent" category - assuming daddy Mack would take care of him. The only way we continue at the level we've been at the last couple of years is to find players who can take strong leadership roles like Vince and get players who refuse to be complacent. It will be interesting to see if THOSE players stay for the full term of their eligibility. My bet is that many of them don't.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/12/2006, 02:16 PM
uh, it caught up with miami. during their run, they lost players at the skill positions, but they remained constant at the most important spot in college football -> quarterback. since dorsey left, they haven't been the same. same thing with FSU after weinke. you mis-evaluate at QB and you are toast.

while we don't need to rehash our issues with recruiting for certain positions, it remains to be said in this thread - while recruiting rankings are a general predictor of how good a team will be, they are not absolute predictors.