PDA

View Full Version : itunes question

Melo
5/30/2006, 10:28 PM
My itunes is acting up.

All other sound from the computer sounds fine, but for some reason, music played in itunes sounds static-y and skippy.

I have tried reinstalling it, and it still does the same thing. Its all the music, not just the stuff I have aquired from the internet. Any ideas why this is happening?

bri
5/30/2006, 10:45 PM
I have a theory, but it consists mostly of everything Apple being iCrap.

But that could just be my f*cked-up FPOMF Shuffle talking. :D

Melo
5/30/2006, 10:46 PM
Well, its better than realplayer or windows media.

I'm open to suggestions. I never realized how much I listen to music until it broke.

bri
5/30/2006, 10:49 PM
My suggestion? Get Winamp.

Of course, you won't be able to listen to your iTunes library in it, because Apple is a bunch of no-cross-platform-using f*cking computer hippies that can KISS MY LILLY WHITE IRISH ***.

Outside of that, I suggest trying the "support" section from the Crapple website. ;)

Melo
5/30/2006, 10:51 PM
Is Winamp just a media player?

I dont really want to mess around with "support" blah blah blah bs. I just want it to work. And if it doesnt, I want to look elsewhere.

silverwheels
5/30/2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, use Winamp. It's a media player, and it's not by Apple, so it's not gay.

BigRedJed
5/30/2006, 10:52 PM
The problem might actually be a memory problem.

Melo
5/30/2006, 10:53 PM
The problem might actually be a memory problem.

How so?

bri
5/30/2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah, a problem with remembering that Apple SUCKS. :D

BigRedJed
5/30/2006, 10:55 PM
Is Winamp just a media player?

I dont really want to mess around with "support" blah blah blah bs. I just want it to work. And if it doesnt, I want to look elsewhere.
If you downloaded music from iTunes and switch players you'll have to burn them to CDs and then rip the CDs to MP3 format in the new player.

Also, if you have an iPod you won't be able to manage it with any player other than iTunes. Sorry.

Sincerely,
Steve Jobs

Melo
5/30/2006, 10:56 PM
If you downloaded music from iTunes and switch players you'll have to burn them to CDs and then rip the CDs to MP3 format in the new player.

Also, if you have an iPod you won't be able to manage it with any player other than iTunes. Sorry.

Sincerely,
Steve Jobs

I dont have an ipod, and any music I have has all been... aquired, so therefor can be reaquired.

BigRedJed
5/30/2006, 10:59 PM
Well, then you should be able to switch players without a problem. Of course, if you are just low on system memory it might not solve the sound problem. Of course, since iTunes is pretty much a resource hog, switching to another player might solve the problem.

Hope that helps.

Melo
5/30/2006, 11:07 PM
Nah, I dont have a memory problem.

I fixed the problem, all it required was restarting my computer. Well, I dont know if the problem is fixed, but its working fine now.

Ike
5/30/2006, 11:19 PM
Nah, I dont have a memory problem.

I fixed the problem, all it required was restarting my computer. Well, I dont know if the problem is fixed, but its working fine now.

umm, that pretty much means it was a memory problem....the computers, not yours.

when your computer has been running for several days or weeks, especially if it is a windows machine, some memory locations become inaccessible due to opening and closing programs repeatedly, and windows thinking that those memory locations are still in use, which basically means that the longer your computer stays up, the smaller your free memory becomes. restarting the computer fixes that.

edit, and as long as you didnt acquire these songs from the iTunes Store, then you are good to go for switching to winamp, the bestest media player out there.

Melo
5/30/2006, 11:20 PM
umm, that pretty much means it was a memory problem....the computers, not yours.

when your computer has been running for several days or weeks, especially if it is a windows machine, some memory locations become inaccessible due to opening and closing programs repeatedly, and windows thinking that those memory locations are still in use, which basically means that the longer your computer stays up, the smaller your free memory becomes. restarting the computer fixes that.

Oh, then I guess it was a memory problem. Makes sense, though.

Thank you. :D

OCUDad
5/30/2006, 11:35 PM

Sincerely,
Steve JobsThere's an app called Anapod that allows you to manage your iPod without using iTunes.

Also iTunes does have a conversion feature that will convert AAC files to MP3, but I don't know if it works on items downloaded from the iTunes Store.

GottaHavePride
5/30/2006, 11:51 PM
See, I've never got on well with WinAmp. I found that Windows Media Player 10 is actually pretty good - not quite as well-organized as iTunes, and it doesn't have a music store, but hey. I only switched to iTunes when I bought my iPod.

skycat
5/31/2006, 12:41 AM
iTunes is friggin' sweet. But to make it friggin' sweet you need to start messing around with smart playlists. Stacking playlists together can get some cool dynamic results. They're also great for filling an iPod that's smaller than your music collection without putzing around with drag and drop. Random can work for that, but iTune's random isn't all that random.

WinAmp has smart playlists now too, but I haven't messed around with them since I went to iTunes, and they were pretty rudimentary back then.

SOONER44EVER
5/31/2006, 12:48 AM
After having the computer fixed all my wife's itunes stuff is gone. Does she just have to put the disc back in and load it to get it working again?

Jeopardude
5/31/2006, 02:54 AM

Of course, you won't be able to listen to your iTunes library in it, because Apple is a bunch of no-cross-platform-using f*cking computer hippies that can KISS MY LILLY WHITE IRISH ***.

Outside of that, I suggest trying the "support" section from the Crapple website. ;)

Let me guess, you think you're striking a heroic blow for the common man when you shop at Wal-Mart?:rolleyes:

silverwheels
5/31/2006, 06:22 AM
Let me guess, you think you're striking a heroic blow for the common man when you shop at Wal-Mart?:rolleyes:

Let me guess: you don't read the SO that often?

bri
5/31/2006, 06:37 AM
Heh, the n00b thinks he can say sh*t.

Funny.

yermom
5/31/2006, 06:41 AM
SW? ;)

hurricane'bone
5/31/2006, 08:51 AM
Heh, the n00b thinks he can say sh*t.

Funny.

sh*t

sooneron
5/31/2006, 09:02 AM
I think it's amusing that for all the apple sucks this and that above, it was a windows issue at the core.

crash boom bah! bitches!

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:09 AM
iTunes is a bit unstable on Windows, but it's still better than Winamp

handcrafted
5/31/2006, 10:22 AM

Oh, and Microsoft is the king of compatibility. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

:rolleyes:

handcrafted
5/31/2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah, a problem with remembering that PCs SUCK. :D

Fixed. :D

handcrafted
5/31/2006, 10:25 AM
Oh, then I guess it was a memory problem. Makes sense, though.

Thank you. :D

"PC suckage" strikes again.

Macs don't have that memory filler-upper-application thingy that makes them need to be rebooted daily. :D

handcrafted
5/31/2006, 10:27 AM
iTunes is a bit unstable on Windows, but it's still better than Winamp

Been running iTunes on my Gateway for several months, and I've had no problems at all. Windows media player, OTOH, defines true suckage.

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:42 AM
i've had it freeze my whole system a few times

sometimes it will totally lock up and not even let me end the task or kill the process, it's pretty weird

that was a few updates ago though, i think

GottaHavePride
5/31/2006, 11:41 AM

Macs don't have that memory filler-upper-application thingy that makes them need to be rebooted daily. :D

On the other hand, if you actually turn your computer off at the end of the day and reboot the next morning, you never have any problems. The last time my computer crashed it was probably running windows 3.x

Melo
5/31/2006, 12:22 PM
I usually leave my computer running... forever.

Tonight was the first time that I have ever really had a problem with something.

yermom
5/31/2006, 12:25 PM
mine basically only reboots for updates

Melo
5/31/2006, 12:28 PM
mine basically only reboots for updates

Same here.

But my computer is fairly new, so that might have something to do with it, maybe.

handcrafted
5/31/2006, 12:47 PM
Same here.

But my computer is fairly new, so that might have something to do with it, maybe.

I think also that iTunes had a problem with XP Media Center edition when it came out, but they've now fixed it. Is that the version of XP you have? If so, make sure you've fully updated your iTunes package.

Ike
5/31/2006, 12:51 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/34156

YWIA

Melo
5/31/2006, 12:54 PM
I think also that iTunes had a problem with XP Media Center edition when it came out, but they've now fixed it. Is that the version of XP you have? If so, make sure you've fully updated your iTunes package.

My uncle works for HP, so he built my computer for me. I never questioned how this thing works like it does. I dont know what I have on this, how would you tell which version your computer has?

yermom
5/31/2006, 01:27 PM
Help -> About... i think

mine always nags me when there is a new version

Melo
5/31/2006, 01:41 PM
Hmm... I just looked it up. I dont have the XP media center edition.

Not sure if this is the right info, but I have XP professional 02 SP2. Or at least thats what it says. Not sure what that means as far as how good anything is.

yermom
5/31/2006, 02:11 PM
heh, i thought you were talking about iTunes

XP Pro SP2 is basically the best you can do

handcrafted
5/31/2006, 02:14 PM
Help > about on iTunes. It should say 6.something something. And I haven't heard of any conflicts with XP pro.

Melo
5/31/2006, 02:14 PM
I redownloaded itunes, so I have the newest one of that, as well.

SoonerInKCMO
5/31/2006, 02:16 PM

Riiiiight... MacOS has no memory leaks. Uh-huh. ;)

bri
5/31/2006, 03:51 PM
Man, I don't know how you Apple guys can type with all that granola you've spilled on your keyboards.

F*ckin' hippies.

yermom
5/31/2006, 04:25 PM
mmm...granola

mrowl
5/31/2006, 04:28 PM
I need to go find a tree to save... :D

mdklatt
5/31/2006, 04:33 PM
Not sure if this is the right info, but I have XP professional 02 SP2. Or at least thats what it says. Not sure what that means as far as how good anything is.

That's a good thing, but it still doesn't hurt to turn the computer off when you're not using it or at least overnight. Why do you hate energy conservation?

mdklatt
5/31/2006, 04:36 PM
Macs don't have that memory filler-upper-application thingy that makes them need to be rebooted daily.

Oh, did they just issue a patch for that?

yermom
5/31/2006, 05:47 PM
That's a good thing, but it still doesn't hurt to turn the computer off when you're not using it or at least overnight. Why do you hate energy conservation?

why do you love chip creep?

Mixer!
5/31/2006, 07:21 PM
Chip Creep? (http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/web4lib/2000-August/033041.html)

:confused:

silverwheels
5/31/2006, 09:10 PM
SW? ;)

:mad:

josh09
5/31/2006, 09:17 PM
My itunes is acting up.

All other sound from the computer sounds fine, but for some reason, music played in itunes sounds static-y and skippy.

I have tried reinstalling it, and it still does the same thing. Its all the music, not just the stuff I have aquired from the internet. Any ideas why this is happening?

i had that too once, but for only like 5 minutes. then it was fine. so i dunno what it was.

Melo
5/31/2006, 09:44 PM
i had that too once, but for only like 5 minutes. then it was fine. so i dunno what it was.

Well thanks. That was a lot of help.

Melo
5/31/2006, 09:46 PM
Why do you hate energy conservation?

Well look at it this way. My brothers computer broke, so I can use his energy. And plus, used to be, in this household, that you could find me, my bro and my dad all in our seperate rooms, playing EverQuest, with tvs on. We stopped doing that.

Keeping my computer on all night isnt wasting any more energy than normal.

OCUDad
5/31/2006, 10:01 PM
If you want to save energy and don't want to endure the wait for a reboot, just put your computer in "hibernate" when you go to bed at night. (Or, in your case, Melo, 4:00AM). Saves energy -- almost as much as turning it off -- and there's very little wait time when you want to use it again.

Melo
5/31/2006, 10:05 PM
If you want to save energy and don't want to endure the wait for a reboot, just put your computer in "hibernate" when you go to bed at night. (Or, in your case, Melo, 4:00AM). Saves energy -- almost as much as turning it off -- and there's very little wait time when you want to use it again.

That could work as well.

I have sleeping problems. 4:00 am is sometimes the earliest I feel tired. :(

Sooner_Bob
5/31/2006, 10:07 PM
The Quintessential Player is a pretty cool free audio player . . . of course I think it only plays MP3s . . .

I've got a couple of alternatives for managing my iPod on my PC at home, but I can't recall what they are at the moment . . . and since I'm in a hotel room I can't look at the moment. :D

Sooner_Bob
6/1/2006, 05:38 PM
EphPod . . . (http://www.ephpod.com/)

Melo
6/1/2006, 09:36 PM
EphPod . . . (http://www.ephpod.com/)

That works for your ipod? Will it work for the ipod shuffle? A friend of mine left it over at my house and never asked for it back, and I could never use it because I didnt have the program.

josh09
6/1/2006, 11:29 PM
Well thanks. That was a lot of help.

i know i try.

but what i MEANT to say was, i stopped playin music for awhile on it, for like 5 minutes. i think itunes starts makin that sound when you go continually for awhile listenin to it.