PDA

View Full Version : Oh ye knowledgable with Apple laptops

afs
5/30/2006, 07:43 PM
I need a new laptop and am going to buy a new Macbook.

What's more important?

a 2.0 ghz processor with 512mb RAM

or

a 1.83 ghz with 1gb RAM?

yermom
5/30/2006, 08:09 PM
RAM

afs
5/30/2006, 08:13 PM
i figured you'd be the only one that replied. thanks.

yermom
5/30/2006, 08:18 PM
i still have a 1.67GHz G4 and it's plenty fast for anything i do

it's got 1.5 GBs of RAM though

GottaHavePride
5/30/2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah, with that small a difference in processor speeds, the RAM will do way more for you. Plus, I don't know that I'd buy anything with less than 1 GB of ram anymore.

OCUDad
5/30/2006, 09:05 PM
Buy the 2.0GHz processor and add 512MB of RAM. Memory is cheap.

yermom
5/31/2006, 04:41 AM
yeah, option C isn't too bad, but RAM for those things is a little high

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 08:25 AM
I want a Macbook.

Bad.

sooneron
5/31/2006, 09:07 AM
I concur, go for RAM. I have a G4 with a 1.5 GHz processor and 1 G of Ram. No speed issues here.
Don't buy any craptastic RAM from a third party. I have a friend that tried that route via the person she purchased from and had many problems. Lots of visits from the Kernel!

King Crimson
5/31/2006, 09:26 AM
it's amazing what you can get for 1500-2000$ these days. i paid almost 2000 for my old g3 powerbook and compared to machines today.....sheesh.

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:01 AM
i can't believe what you get for the $1100 or so from the MacBook

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 10:02 AM
i can't believe what you get for the $1100 or so from the MacBook

I know!!!

:les: BSG WANT MACBOOK!

sooneron
5/31/2006, 10:17 AM
And they finally brought back BLACK!!

I checked it out at the new store on Monday!

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/gallery/

nice screen to boot.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 10:29 AM
I want a white one.

You know - 'cause it'll match my iPod.

This is very important.

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:32 AM
you could always buy a black iPod ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 10:34 AM
You just want my old one.

My old 60GB one...

:les: IT'S NOT WEE!

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:36 AM
:mad:

so much for getting the old one :(

i want one that plays video anyway

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 10:38 AM
:D

TopDaugIn2000
5/31/2006, 10:39 AM
my 60G video iPod is black. :P

:les:BEYONCES

TopDaugIn2000
5/31/2006, 10:40 AM
and I'd REALLY like to, and have seriously considered, making the change to mac. but I'm skeered.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 10:42 AM
and I'd REALLY like to, and have seriously considered, making the change to mac. but I'm skeered.

I've never had a Mac anything but the more I read/hear I think it'd be okay.

Let's do it. :eddie:

TopDaugIn2000
5/31/2006, 10:43 AM
my biggest issue is that I was trained and have used adobe video editing software (Premiere Pro) and mac goes with Final Cut Pro. I fear change.

and I can work/trouble shoot a PC pretty well. never have tried a mac. course the way 'they' talk, it doesn't NEED troubleshooting.

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:48 AM
can you not get Adobe for Mac?

i'd wait a bit if you are doing that stuff though, not all the high end software has been ported to the new Intel versions yet

mdklatt
5/31/2006, 10:59 AM
and I can work/trouble shoot a PC pretty well. never have tried a mac. course the way 'they' talk, it doesn't NEED troubleshooting.

'They' lie. Don't get a Mac thinking you'll never ever have problems with it, because you will. Don't get a Mac thinking it's immune to malware, because it's not. Don't get a Mac thinking it's easier to use than Windows, because if you're already used to Windows there's going to be an adjustment period. There are plenty of good reasons to get a Mac, just keep in mind that you're not leaving all the problems of the Wintel world behind.

OUstudent4life
5/31/2006, 11:12 AM
can you not get Adobe for Mac?

i'd wait a bit if you are doing that stuff though, not all the high end software has been ported to the new Intel versions yet

What yermom said. The Adobe suite isn't native yet, so it runs through a program (Rosetta) to change the PowerPC code to Intel code. And it slows the stuff wicked bad, especially the Adobe programs. They're working on the "Universal" apps, but it's still ~6 months away, I'm betting.

And if people are skeered and still have a windows install disk, you can download bootcamp and run windows native on the intel macs...though i don't know why you would want to.

Last thing...I'd wait until the end of the year to buy a Mac, any mac...the new operating system may be coming out then (IN YOUR FACE, GATES! (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060322001338.shtml)), and things like bootcamp will come pre-installed (and probably work better).

yermom
5/31/2006, 11:18 AM
'They' lie. Don't get a Mac thinking you'll never ever have problems with it, because you will. Don't get a Mac thinking it's immune to malware, because it's not. Don't get a Mac thinking it's easier to use than Windows, because if you're already used to Windows there's going to be an adjustment period. There are plenty of good reasons to get a Mac, just keep in mind that you're not leaving all the problems of the Wintel world behind.

buzzkiller :D

Macs can get as complicated as you want them to be... out of the box they are pretty secure and safe from malware though

i've yet to have spyware or virus issues on a Mac... not saying it's not possible, but it's not nearly as likely

TopDaugIn2000
5/31/2006, 11:23 AM
premiere pro isn't for Mac, it's Final Cut Pro (or Final Cut Express for lite users). I'd have to see the FC software side by side before I'd know if I could get by with Express (MUCH cheaper) for video/audio editing.

Photoshop (CS2) is now for the intel based mac apparently but with other adobe software it won't be good 'til their next versions come out..

King Crimson
5/31/2006, 11:34 AM
we have macs in my office and my first two computers were powerbooks and based simply on money/value i bought a Dell about two years ago and i don't necessarily prefer either much more than the other.....to be honest.....and while my skillz on the computer are nothing special i use them both.

there are a lot of things to like about macs....though one of my powerbooks was really quirky and kind of annoying to be honest....which somewhat de-converted me from the ranks of the "true believers". i kind of agnostic at this point.

yermom
5/31/2006, 11:42 AM
for just about everything i prefer the Powerbook over the Dell laptop

King Crimson
5/31/2006, 11:57 AM
for just about everything i prefer the Powerbook over the Dell laptop

i'd agree with that. My Dell is a desktop, i should have been more clear above. my g3 is still useful for some stuff....like sitting on the couch watching sports and such. i'm prolly in the market for a new laptop in a year or so....and unless my employer is buying i'll probably look at macbook--something portable--.

mrowl
5/31/2006, 11:59 AM
30 inch

http://images.apple.com/displays/images/indexcompdisplay06282004-03.jpg

it will be mine. :D

yermom
5/31/2006, 02:13 PM
those are almost too big for everyday use...

handcrafted
5/31/2006, 02:16 PM

Heathen. :D

5/31/2006, 05:19 PM
I've had to restart my Mac thrice in as many years.

Yeah, what a piece of crap.

afs
5/31/2006, 06:30 PM
i went for the 1.83 ghz w/ 1gb RAM for under $1200. figured the extra RAM would assist me while typing papers, reading PDF and running iTunes along with the other apps at the same time.

never found a need for DVD-RW and I refuse to pay xtra $$$ just for a black laptop.

should be here next wednesday.

TopDawg
5/31/2006, 10:44 PM
I've had to restart my Mac thrice in as many years.

Yeah, what a piece of crap.

I love the restart boast. I haven't counted how many times I've had to restart my PC in the last 3 years, but I bet it's in the single digits...and it's 6 years old. If I've had 6 more restarts than you, I've probably spent about 5 more minutes restarting over the past 3 years than you have. Over those 3 years, I bet I've made up those 5 minutes (and then some) with the other advantages of having a PC.

Like several others have said, the Mac advantage is overhyped. Sure it's got some advantages, but they're not as great as Mac would have you believe (and some of them...their virus protection for instance...will fade as their popularity grows). A lot of their comparisons are based on PC performance (or lack thereof) of the mid-to-late 90s, not the PC performance of today. Newsflash: the PC I had in 99 was better than the Mac I used in 92.

With all that said, my next purchase will probably be a Mac simply because I like all the cool stuff that comes with it (MacLife or whatever they call it). Most of my early computer years were spent on a Mac, so the learning curve is a little less for me.

But I'm debating on whether to get an iMac or a Powerbook. It'll probably be a while anyway...maybe I should just wait until the end of the year like OUs4l said.

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:52 PM
for what i do, the Mac does a lot that i need right out of the box, and it's a LOT cleaner than Linux as a workstation

whenever Mac OS X came out, the Mac became viable... anyone touting Macs before that was smoking something ;)

King Crimson
5/31/2006, 10:59 PM
i will say though i mostly use winamp, the visualizations on iTunes are killer....
:D

afs
6/5/2006, 06:25 PM
got it from the fed ex guy today... this thing kick ***

49r
6/5/2006, 07:10 PM
We got one in our office today. They truly do kick ***

They are easily superior to a comparably priced Dell

sooneron
6/5/2006, 09:12 PM
my biggest issue is that I was trained and have used adobe video editing software (Premiere Pro) and mac goes with Final Cut Pro. I fear change.

Exactly how intricate is what you're doing on premiere? Is it for broadcast or something? (Actually, premiere isn't so broadcast great, but you get what I mean) Bedar in mind you're speaking to someone that has a lot of experience with avid symphonies.

yermom
6/5/2006, 09:21 PM
We got one in our office today. They truly do kick ***

They are easily superior to a comparably priced Dell

that's scary

Intel might just be what Apple needed...

49r
6/6/2006, 09:27 AM
that's scary

Intel might just be what Apple needed...

What's scary is Macs are becoming much more popular these days...more Mac owners means more chances I'll need to think about maybe getting antivirus software for mine.

OTOH, It'll also probably mean more software options too...

mrowl
6/6/2006, 04:53 PM
I was in the new Southlake Apple store today to get a new dock, and it is realllllllly cool.

They don't have a register check out area, the employees walk around with portable scanners and credit card swipes. Everything is done anywhere in the store by wi-fi. They even email the reciept to you.

I was drooling.

sooneron
6/6/2006, 05:09 PM
I was in the new Southlake Apple store today to get a new dock, and it is realllllllly cool.

They don't have a register check out area, the employees walk around with portable scanners and credit card swipes. Everything is done anywhere in the store by wi-fi. They even email the reciept to you.

I was drooling.
The new one on fifth ave is tits. I recommend for any applehead whilst in the big apple.