PDA

View Full Version : new transfer policy

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/30/2006, 03:34 PM
http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9463380

eh, i don't think this will make that big of a difference...

ultimatesooner1
5/30/2006, 04:00 PM
hopefully it helps us in hoops this year

yermom
5/30/2006, 04:12 PM
how often would that even happen?

in their example, how likely is it that somone could just pick up a whole new system and do well in just one year?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/30/2006, 04:14 PM
i could see kickers taking advantage of this. other than that, the only other positions might be DT or WR...

Texas Golfer
5/30/2006, 04:37 PM
I can see this overused and overabused. I can see a 5th year player who thinks his chances for a Heisman (or other major individual award) or a national championship enhanced by going to a better team who has a vacancy in his position using this as his opportunity. It could also be used for someone who may want to further his draft chances.

Many thought K. Jones should have been drafted and, had he not backed up AD, may have been. Had he had the opportunity to start somewhere else without penalty, don't some of you think he may have taken it?

Texas Golfer
5/30/2006, 04:39 PM
how often would that even happen?

in their example, how likely is it that somone could just pick up a whole new system and do well in just one year?

AD, as an 18 year old college freshman with less than six months out of HS, rushed for nearly 2000 yards and damn near won the Heisman. If a freshman could do it, a college graduate should be able to do it. A great backup may start and do well at another university.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/30/2006, 04:41 PM
the problem is that very very few 4th year football players graduate...

Scott D
5/30/2006, 04:57 PM

which makes me wonder what happened to the process where they were discussing the 5 year actual eligibility rules to put student athletes in line with where they saw regular students being the 'standard' period of time to graduate.

yermom
5/30/2006, 04:59 PM
AD, as an 18 year old college freshman with less than six months out of HS, rushed for nearly 2000 yards and damn near won the Heisman. If a freshman could do it, a college graduate should be able to do it. A great backup may start and do well at another university.

yeah, but he's a RB. the example was a QB transferring to Michigan

if you are that great, why not just go to the NFL?

i just don't see this coming up all that often anyway... i don't know many people that graduate in 4 years, let alone football players

Scott D
5/30/2006, 05:01 PM
I think the concern here is transfers from 'football poor' schools to the bigtime programs as a transfer player for a chance to upgrade their stock...then again some like the guy who transferred from Duke to Cal may actually be interested in academics.

KyleUT
5/30/2006, 07:19 PM
I bet this affects the non-rev sports a ton more than football.

yermom
5/30/2006, 07:20 PM
who cares then :P

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/30/2006, 07:40 PM
I bet this affects the non-rev sports a ton more than football.

you mean the ones that already have no restrictions on transfers?

goingoneight
5/30/2006, 09:52 PM
who cares then :P

Okie Light is finished!!! :D

RedstickSooner
6/1/2006, 02:00 PM
I think the concern here is transfers from 'football poor' schools to the bigtime programs as a transfer player for a chance to upgrade their stock...

I dunno -- seems you could argue it the other way, too. The NFL doesn't seem to care that much whether you played for a big-time program -- and playing against inferior opponents at a crappy school could give you more impressive numbers. Sure, being at a big-time school seems to help with awards like the Heisman, but if you're that good, why not just jump right to the draft? Another year of college playing time, and the risk of injury which goes with it, don't make much sense for any reason other than loyalty to your school.

It's an interesting rule, because it forces schools to stare directly at the contradiction which is big-time athletics. If it's really for the student-athlete, this is a great rule -- because an athlete who takes his or her education seriously *should* be able to pick whichever grad school he or she wants. On the other hand, if it's all about money and protecting your athletic program, *then* this rule is the debbil. Should be fun to see which school presidents go to bat over it.

This one doesn't worry me too much.

Scott D
6/1/2006, 04:02 PM
amusingly I brought that article to the bg board and those guys have turned it into a 2 page thread :)

snp
6/1/2006, 04:06 PM
Many thought K. Jones should have been drafted and, had he not backed up AD, may have been. Had he had the opportunity to start somewhere else without penalty, don't some of you think he may have taken it?

Kejuan played 4 years so this doesn't apply to him. He never used a RS.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2006, 04:13 PM
Kejuan played 4 years so this doesn't apply to him. He never used a RS.

uh...
2001 RS
2002 RS FR goal line
2003 RS SO w/ renaldo
2004 RS JR ugh, peterson
2005 RS SR had they not redshirted me, i could have left after 2003

snp
6/1/2006, 05:16 PM
Wow, guess I was wrong. This whole time I thought he was a true freshman in 02.

yermom
6/7/2006, 11:11 PM
that was fast

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AngW6kOqgd3373EVqBIEteAcvrYF?slug=ap-vanderbilt-kovalcheck&prov=ap&type=lgns

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Former Arizona starting quarterback Richard Kovalcheck is transferring to Vanderbilt and will be eligible to play immediately under new NCAA rules, the Commodores announced Friday.

JohnnyMack
6/8/2006, 11:42 AM

Why do you hate Aubrey Beavers?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/8/2006, 11:47 AM
Why do you hate Aubrey Beavers?

play basketball against him and you'll understand ;)

Scott D
6/8/2006, 12:03 PM
play basketball against him and you'll understand ;)

ain't that the truth....I still think I have a bruise from that. ;)