PDA

View Full Version : Hey Frozen....Alaska question

KaiserSooner
5/30/2006, 03:34 PM
I'm curious to get your opinion/experiences on driving the Alcan up to Fairbanks.

My folks are seriously considering doing just that this summer, and I'm not sure they know what they're getting into.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/30/2006, 03:45 PM
he doesn't post on here much anymore, but he is on myspace if you would join.

Mjcpr
5/30/2006, 03:46 PM
He's also at OUInsider.

skycat
5/30/2006, 03:46 PM
I'm curious to get your opinion/experiences on driving the Alcan up to Fairbanks.

My folks are seriously considering doing just that this summer, and I'm not sure they know what they're getting into.

My parents did it a couple of years ago. Round trip from Tulsa in their Jeep Liberty. Dad loved it. I think Mom liked the being there parts, but well, it is a lot of driving. They brought the dog too.

But we were always a driving vacation family.

crawfish
5/30/2006, 03:50 PM
he doesn't post on here at all anymore, or even read the board, but he is on myspace if you would join.

Fixed.

achiro
5/30/2006, 04:13 PM
Dang, did I miss a banning or a "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" ????

I always miss this stuff.:(

yermom
5/30/2006, 04:17 PM
Dang, did I miss a banning or a "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" ????

I always miss this stuff.:(

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1285108&postcount=18

:D

achiro
5/30/2006, 04:21 PM
Dude musta liked himself some Katy...or CSI

KaiserSooner
5/30/2006, 06:44 PM
he doesn't post on here much anymore, but he is on myspace if you would join.

Perhaps you could be a good friend and pass along the message to him on myspace ;)

KaiserSooner
5/30/2006, 06:49 PM
My parents did it a couple of years ago. Round trip from Tulsa in their Jeep Liberty. Dad loved it. I think Mom liked the being there parts, but well, it is a lot of driving. They brought the dog too.

But we were always a driving vacation family.

It sounds like a great idea....heck, I'd love to do it myself. I just think my dad needs to do a little more realistic planning....he's currently gripped by the romantic image of making that herculean drive, while my mom is trying to bring him out of the clouds.

Anyway, how long were they gone and about how many miles per day did the travel? From what I've been able to find from Alaska guidebooks (though I haven't found anything specifically for the Alaska Highway) it sounds as if the road is relatively good, and there is, apparently, food/gas/lodging every 20 to 50 miles.

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 07:38 PM
doesnt read the board?

i beg to differ, he was on here yesterday or the day before.....may not have posted, but he was signed in

Frozen Sooner
5/31/2006, 01:13 AM
That's right. I'm always here. Watching you. Waiting.

:rolleyes:

Kaiser, SBSB told me you were looking for info. There's some stuff in your PM box.

skycat
5/31/2006, 01:42 AM
It sounds like a great idea....heck, I'd love to do it myself. I just think my dad needs to do a little more realistic planning....he's currently gripped by the romantic image of making that herculean drive, while my mom is trying to bring him out of the clouds.

Anyway, how long were they gone and about how many miles per day did the travel? From what I've been able to find from Alaska guidebooks (though I haven't found anything specifically for the Alaska Highway) it sounds as if the road is relatively good, and there is, apparently, food/gas/lodging every 20 to 50 miles.

They took three weeks. I'm not sure how many hours a day they drove, but I do know it was a lot. My dad said the roads were a lot better than a lot of roads we've been on. Of course, that far north in the summer, it stays light a long time. Makes for good drivin' :)

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2006, 06:34 AM
That's right. I'm always here. Watching you. Waiting.

:rolleyes:

yes, because thats exactly what i alluded too......that you were watching me :rolleyes: