PDA

View Full Version : Bomar pleads guilty to alcohol charge

colleyvillesooner
5/30/2006, 12:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2463196

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar pleaded guilty Tuesday to a misdemeanor charge of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Municipal Judge M. Fred Austin sentenced Bomar, 20, to six months of probation. He'll also be required to pay court costs and an administrative fee.

"We do that routinely with young people, especially 20-year-olds who are caught drinking beer before they are 21," Assistant Municipal Counselor Laura Yates said after a hearing in Oklahoma City Municipal Court.

In seeking the sentence, Yates said she took into consideration that Bomar was a first-time offender with no prior convictions. She said she recommended similar sentences to several people in comparable circumstances last week.

Bomar, who set an Oklahoma freshman record for passing yards last season, was cited by Oklahoma City police March 10 after an undercover police officer spotted him taking beer from friends, pouring it into a white cup and then drinking it at a New Orleans Hornets' basketball game at the Ford Center.

Yates said police officers kept a sample of the liquid in Bomar's cup, and Bomar also admitted that he had been drinking.

Bomar's probation requires him to avoid being arrested again or receiving any traffic tickets.

Prosecutors in Norman dismissed a minor in possession of alcohol charge against Bomar in January due to a lack of evidence.

Bomar, who turns 21 on July 2, threw for 2,018 yards last season and had a touchdown pass in Oklahoma's 17-14 win against No. 6 Oregon in the Holiday Bowl. He was 8-3 as the Sooners' starter.

Oklahoma spokesman Kenny Mossman said any discipline would be handled internally and coach Bob Stoops would not have any comment.

josh09
5/30/2006, 12:27 PM
oh no

josh09
5/30/2006, 12:28 PM
he needs to lay off the parties if he expects to be the QB for us next year.

bob definately wont be happy

yermom
5/30/2006, 12:29 PM
so is against NCAA rules to hire him a driver? :P

Octavian
5/30/2006, 01:44 PM
why wouldn't he plead no contest?

soonernation
5/30/2006, 01:46 PM
Oh my GOD!!!! A 20 year old got a MIP!!!! What a tragedy!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
5/30/2006, 02:00 PM
he needs to lay off the parties if he expects to be the QB for us next year.

bob definately wont be happy

You do know that this is the incident that happened in March right?

SoonerMooner
5/30/2006, 02:13 PM
*Yawn*

This is a joke. The only reason such not remotely newsworthy stuff like this makes the papers is there is nothing else going on right now. Rhett did the right thing. He is a damn good kid. My family knows his family really well.

Who could even imagine that a 20 year old would drink a beer? Jeez the apocalypse must be upon us.

If you ask me, the toothless flat foot that busted him should be taken out and horsewhipped. Somehow, I doubt the idiot would have been watching Rhett nearly as closely if Rhett weren't who he is. The f'ing cop is probably a Silo State fan.

Texas Golfer
5/30/2006, 03:01 PM
He'll be able to celebrate the upcoming national championship with the rest of the team come January.

TexasLidig8r
5/30/2006, 03:05 PM
He'll be able to celebrate the upcoming national championship with the rest of the team come January as he legally toasts Texas to its second straight national championship.

Just made that puppy read a bit more like non-fiction. ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/30/2006, 03:12 PM

How long is the flight to Fantasy Land?

TexasLidig8r
5/30/2006, 03:35 PM
How long is the flight to Fantasy Land?

Depends on how long all the left over Exstacy 1TC brought back from Deep Ellum this past weekend lasts.

Collier11
5/30/2006, 04:46 PM
Depends on how long all the left over Exstacy 1TC brought back from Deep Ellum this past weekend lasts.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah:D

goingoneight
5/30/2006, 08:39 PM
He'll be able to celebrate the upcoming national championship with the rest of the team come January.

Where's ADs Agent??? We might need to have a closed party if he ain't old enough to recieve a Heisman toast! ;)

1991SOONER
5/30/2006, 09:15 PM

.....and while Taylor tokes on his reefer......

1991SOONER
5/30/2006, 09:18 PM

Hey I used to go there. Do you ever go to the Art Bar? And the Trees? Two of my favorite. I haven't been there in years...

Soonerus
5/30/2006, 09:25 PM
Probably a BIG 4th of July weekend for Bomar....darn.....

sanantoniosooner
5/30/2006, 09:41 PM
Rhett did the right thing.
I don't think that was what Spike Lee meant.

oumartin
5/30/2006, 10:39 PM
kid is a damn alcoholic and needs to be kicked off the team for a year ;)

Big Red Ron
5/30/2006, 10:45 PM
he needs to lay off the parties if he expects to be the QB for us next year.Never stopped Cale Gundy. I think Cale still hangs out with 1TC. ;)

Snrfn4ever08
5/30/2006, 10:59 PM
i can't speak for everyone else here, but ima gonna try anyway. i can't wait until he turns 21 so he can go get wasted and we don't have to hear about it. on the other hand, i hope he doesn't end up falling out of the beds of trucks.

BASSooner
5/30/2006, 11:27 PM
rhett....just wait till 21...trust me, coke and dr pepper are not bad drinks....they keep you occupied while you wait. That's what they are made for!!

1991SOONER
5/31/2006, 07:57 PM
Well its one thing to go to parties, drink, and have fun. Then its another to be caught TWICE by the police before his 21st birthday. I mean, if thats not a red flag that something is wrong, I don't know what is. Probably could explain why there were so many mistakes made.

Although he wouldn't have been the first kid to go to OU and get caught in the party scene and screw up his future...

goingoneight
5/31/2006, 09:31 PM
Give him the death penalty!!! :stunned: ... and free Saint Eddie! :eddie:

sanantoniosooner
5/31/2006, 09:34 PM
Can't all the drunks and prudes just get along?

josh09
5/31/2006, 09:36 PM
You do know that this is the incident that happened in March right?

oooooooh. i had no idea. i thought it was ANOTHER one. i was gonna say...

A-M
6/2/2006, 06:24 PM
I know that kids think they have to drink and my son did a loooooot of drinking before he was 21. He also went to college on a soccer scholorship, but, at least he was smart enough to not get caught at it. Too bad Bomar wasn't smart enough to keep from getting caught. Of course, maybe Bomar wasn't as scared of what his mom would do if he got caught and my son was! When my son was in his late 20's he confessed to me that he started drinking while he was in highschool (he actually thought I didn't know). I told him that I knew because if he remembered, I told him that if he ever got caught drinking and driving, that he would not drive again until he was 21. He looked at my like he was thinking, Oh gees, you really did know. Needless to say, now at 35, he does very little drinking. My how things change when you grow up a little!

ADs_Agent
6/2/2006, 07:18 PM
Where's ADs Agent??? We might need to have a closed party if he ain't old enough to recieve a Heisman toast! ;)

cheap shot, I'll be 21 in 21 days.

ADs_Agent
6/2/2006, 07:18 PM
\

Big Red Ron
6/2/2006, 08:21 PM
I blame the Hornets. I was at the Game that night and they had him come out to mid court and throw a mini-football into the crowd. It fluttered and looked like a pretty weak pass for a QB. Surely what tipped off the cops, seriously.

oufan1
6/2/2006, 08:47 PM
\
/

douxpaysan
6/2/2006, 10:52 PM
/
Post Mosties!!!