PDA

View Full Version : For the first time in years

slickdawg
5/29/2006, 09:13 PM
Both slickmobiles can fit in the garage. I spent all day cleaning out the
great mess, seven years of accumulated s**t.

Now, in the morning, when Waste management comes, they're gonna
hate my ****in' guts. There's at least five times the normal amount of
garbage out there.

I told slickwife that I don't know that they will pick up all of that stuff.

Maybe I'll go take a picture of the grabage mecca.

etouffee
5/29/2006, 09:16 PM
it's kinda hard to figure out what they'll pick up and what they won't, at least in my neighborhood. therefore, my strategy is just put it all out there and see what happens. they've only ever left 2 or 3 things, and i've put some weird stuff out on the curb. and i'd hate to think i held something back that they actually would've taken, so i give em a shot at everything.

VeeJay
5/29/2006, 09:28 PM
Man, that is the shizznit.

Mrs. VJ wants to have a garage sale to get rid of all our crap. I nearly broke my neck today lunging for a frisbee, tripping over stuff, before we went to the beach. My garage is a calamity. After reaching the frisbee, I took a step back to regain my balance, and I heard the sound of breaking glass, and possibly, shattered grandparents' heirlooms.

I looked in the bag, saw the damage and wondered how candles, cassette tapes, broken bits of porcelain, and other assorted knick knacks could find their way into a plastic bag, on the floor, blocking my path to the frisbee. Out of respect, I left the damage and destruction where it lay, to be found later by whoever.

OUHOMER
5/29/2006, 09:36 PM
I here ya, I build a 30 x 40 steel building 2 years ago and it is full. My stuff, my sisters stuff, my sons stuff, my daughters stuff, a good friend on mine stuff. I can barely put my motorcycle it there.

The up side is i can stuff on the curb and most of it will disappear before the garbage man shows up

Melo
5/29/2006, 09:38 PM
I here ya, I build a 30 x 40 steel building 2 years ago and it is full. My stuff, my sisters stuff, my sons stuff, my daughters stuff, a good friend on mine stuff. I can barely put my motorcycle it there.

The up side is i can stuff on the curb and most of it will disappear before the garbage man shows up

Doleo? Is that you? ;)

sanantoniosooner
5/29/2006, 09:38 PM
We spent most of the day cleaning our garage out and still couldn't fit a car in there.

walkoffsooner
5/29/2006, 09:54 PM
Congrats:Keep us updated.I'am betting on a repeat performance.

slickdawg
5/29/2006, 10:22 PM
I still can't believe the amount of **** that is gone. Amazing.

two cars in a two car garage. whooda thunk it?

OUinFLA
5/29/2006, 10:27 PM
Would you like to come visit me for the weekend?
all you have to bring is your expertise.

VeeJay: SIL and I were talking about garage sales today.
So, you're gonna spend a couple of days organizing stuff, pricing it from 25 cents to 2 dollars, sit there for two days haggling with all the snowbirds that have moved here.
End result of 4 days worth of work..............order three pizzas and you have enough to pay for them. End of funds.
SIL says load all that crap up in the truck, take it to Goodwill, get a reciept, write it off, be done with it.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/29/2006, 10:29 PM
1. I mowed the grass....
2. I weedeated the grass....
3. I bought hedges and plants for half price at atwoods....
4. I dug holes....
5. I put plants in.....
6. I went to mother in laws..
7. I loaded pistol...
8. I put it back down...
9. I pondered why I am addicted to cheez in a can
10. shower...call it a day

slickdawg
5/29/2006, 10:37 PM
The massive pile. It's as deep as it is wide.

http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/7682/img0733medium4ua.jpg

slickdawg
5/29/2006, 10:39 PM
Would you like to come visit me for the weekend?
all you have to bring is your expertise.

VeeJay: SIL and I were talking about garage sales today.
So, you're gonna spend a couple of days organizing stuff, pricing it from 25 cents to 2 dollars, sit there for two days haggling with all the snowbirds that have moved here.
End result of 4 days worth of work..............order three pizzas and you have enough to pay for them. End of funds.
SIL says load all that crap up in the truck, take it to Goodwill, get a reciept, write it off, be done with it.

The SIL is right - goodwill and write that **** off.

I'd come visit if I had the friggin time. ARRGH!

olevetonahill
5/29/2006, 10:45 PM
Hey slick save those planters for me will ya ?They will work great for my mar uh never mind

BajaOklahoma
5/29/2006, 10:46 PM
Slick, around here we just call the city for a special pickup. We can do it twice a year at no charge. But all of your stuff is small enough that they may just haul it away anyway.
Nice jorb.

slickdawg
5/29/2006, 10:53 PM
vet, the planters are yours, just come get 'em. :D

Baja, I'm hoping they are still being very liberal post katrina.
They picked up anything for months after the storm.

I may greet them at 6AM and just give em $20 for lunch. Those guys have
one of the most under appreciated jobs in the world.

AlbqSooner
5/30/2006, 07:13 AM
When I moved to Florida I did a bunch of trimming of trees and shrubs. Cut everything into two foot lengths and tied it into bundles with string so it was easy to pick up. As I put it next to the can at the curb, my neighbor told me they would not pick it up. I bet him they would. He told me that there was not way. I lifted the bundles, put a six pack of beer under them but visible and came home the next evening to find everything gone.

Also, I am now living in the 8th house I have owned with a two car garage. This is the first time MY car has been parked inside. Usually got the wife's car in but not mine. Ich Liebe Est.

slickdawg
5/30/2006, 08:58 AM
Update: They picked every bit of it up. SWEET!

VeeJay
5/30/2006, 09:27 AM
Garage sales here are probably a little different than other places. First, before the crack of dawn, the beat up vans from the thrift shops are pulling up, trying to offer you way less than you want for stuff, then they go sell it for a nice profit.

We have Hordes O' Haitians that show up, too. They'll take stuff and send it to their families still in Haiti. They'll offer you fifty cents for three articles of clothing, then grab armolads while you're not looking. Mrs. VJ threw a couple of them out of our yard once when this happened.

I thought "Great. Now these people know where we live. May as well take the hunnert bucks we made today and get new padlocks for the doors."

It ain't worth it. Garage Sale People are the succ.

BajaOklahoma
5/30/2006, 09:44 AM
Congrats Slick. I think they did it because you had it all packed up so nice.

I hate it when our neighbors dump piles of branchs next to the alley and think that is all they have to do to get them picked up. Get a clue people, they aren't picking them up bnecause ypou aren't getting them ready to be picked up.

The only garage sale we have ever had was a fundraiser for the soccer team travel expenses. It was in a shopping center parking lot (with their permission). Some slimey people shop these sales. Thieves.

BoogercountySooner
5/30/2006, 09:47 AM
Garage sales here are probably a little different than other places. First, before the crack of dawn, the beat up vans from the thrift shops are pulling up, trying to offer you way less than you want for stuff, then they go sell it for a nice profit.

We have Hordes O' Haitians that show up, too. They'll take stuff and send it to their families still in Haiti. They'll offer you fifty cents for three articles of clothing, then grab armolads while you're not looking. Mrs. VJ threw a couple of them out of our yard once when this happened.

I thought "Great. Now these people know where we live. May as well take the hunnert bucks we made today and get new padlocks for the doors."

It ain't worth it. Garage Sale People are the succ.

We took all the stuff that would have been garage sale stuff and donated it to the Salvation Army and Goodwill to be taken off of taxes next year.

Slick I bet I've put 60 large trash bags out so far cleaning up the old house. I finally got a sticker on my trash can stating that they would only pick up 10 bags a week from now on!

slickdawg
5/30/2006, 09:51 AM
Garage sale people, at least down here, are very strange.

All the "for sale" stuff is in the driveway, but they'll go up into your garage
and around your house asking about stuff "zat fur sale?"

Which is why anything of value goes to goodwill.

VeeJay
5/30/2006, 10:09 AM
I've noticed some of them travel in packs. Nealry every weekend, someone in my n'hood is having a garage sale. I see the same cars.

These people will speed down my street, rubberneck, look around, then throw their jalopies in reverse and back up down the street. Their jalopies' transmissions are whining as they are probably exceeding the posted 25 mph speed limt - in reverse.

One Saturday morning, one of these freaks parked in front of my house to abscond something from the neighbors across the street. When she left, she ran over my garbage can. It was under the front of her mini-van. She stopped a few houses away, according to my neighbor, got the garbage can out from under the van, threw it in her van and sped off.

I do believe single shot rifles should be allowed to be used on these people.

BoogercountySooner
5/30/2006, 12:45 PM
My wife and I had a garage sale a few years ago and when I went out to move our vehicles down the road I saw a couple of ladies coming down our street while I was walking back to our house. They slammed on there breaks right in front of our house and one lady jumped out of their car and ran towards my house. I ran up to the house thinking they were trying to steal something and she was squatted down next to my garage peeing! I was like what the hell then I noticed she was Hawt! I told them to feel free to shop around!

olevetonahill
5/30/2006, 01:21 PM
My wife and I had a garage sale a few years ago and when I went out to move our vehicles down the road I saw a couple of ladies coming down our street while I was walking back to our house. They slammed on there breaks right in front of our house and one lady jumped out of their car and ran towards my house. I ran up to the house thinking they were trying to steal something and she was squatted down next to my garage peeing! I was like what the hell then I noticed she was Hawt! I told them to feel free to shop around!
:D :D :D

VeeJay
5/30/2006, 01:32 PM
Oh, yeah? Well, top this. There were some jabronies that were speeding down my street with some horribly broken wicker furniture tied on to the top of their Pontiac. They eyeballed my mango tree, slammed on the brakes, and the junior jabroney hopped out of the car and started grabbing mangoes off my tree! A neighbor's dog chased the little bastud back to his car, and he fell and skinned his knee real bad. I was watching this whole charade from my driveway. It was like an out of body experience - like I couldn't believe what I was seeing! The driver of the Pontiac, I assume the daddy, sped back in reverse to where I was, rolled his window down and asked me for my name - he started writing down my address and he was shouting that his child was hurt and he was going to sue.

Three or four times a year we have bulk trash pickup days. You can put your major busted and broken crap like appliances and furniture and they'll haul it off for you. It is amazing to see what kind of crap my neighbors have on bulk trash day. One night I had put a computer desk - or a part thereof out there, that we didn't use any more. On the night before bulk pick up day, the scavengers come out en masse. These people may be one notch below garage sale people, if there is a lower class of breathing organism. This grossly overweight woman had parked her SUV ibeside my house and rang my doorbell. She told me that the desk out on the street was missing the keyboard drawer and asked me if I had it.

VeeJay
5/30/2006, 01:34 PM

Remember the Haitian lady I told you was stealing clothes at our garage sale? Her friend dropped trou and took a dump on the side of my house.

slickdawg
5/30/2006, 01:48 PM
Remember the Haitian lady I told you was stealing clothes at our garage sale? Her friend dropped trou and took a dump on the side of my house.

Did you have to repaint?

VeeJay
5/30/2006, 02:32 PM
Did you have to repaint?

No, but those big green flies were disgusting.....