PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Discussion of Next Year.

KingDavid
5/29/2006, 06:24 PM
First things first: Nick, get off of this thread.

Now . . . . let's start with our strengths and work down from there, by position:

Defensive line (including ends): I pretty much want to slowly rock myself as I weep with joy over this unit. When I think of the dominance this group will have, I get a little bit light-headed. Is there a question mark here at all? Could anything go wrong? The depth and talent are sickening. There are teams in the NFL that might swap their depth chart for this one, given its talent, experience, and potential.

Running backs:Nice stable of fleet backs who can make people miss. My big questions headed into the new year are: 1) How big of an impact will the lack of a lead blocker make on AD's game? We know that Zaslaw and Clapp are going to be riding the pine; and 2) Will Demarco Murray get any PT and what will he look like? Man, I loved those reels of that kid on Rivals. I kind of hope we RS him. But I wouldn't mind seeing the kid get on the field. He looks like he's going to be fun to watch.

Defensive backfield:I knew everyone's anxiety about this area of the defense was over-done. Spring proved it. This is Coach Wright's second year with this position and that dude can coach. The only question I see here is depth. I hope we can stay healthy and avoid pulling RS's on some of the youngin's. Lendy Holmes, who I thought was surely a bust when he looked to be begging off the competition at WR, give a boost to the position that needed more depth. The other question is just how good the group can be. Will Reggie live up to the new hype?

Line-backers:Lots of talent. Questions (with Reynolds loss) about depth. I think Chris Patterson could be the newcomer of the year if he makes his grades and gets some PT. Injuries at LB seem to always free up some PT, and he's got all the gears to come in and make a difference. I'm looking forward to seeing that dude on the field.

Quarterback:Anyone else nervous about this besides me? I know Bomar showed a lot of talent later in the year, but honestly, those off-the-field hiccups made me wonder about the kid. I hope that was just freshman stupidity; either way, it's not the sort of Heupel-like and White-like leadership model that you want to sport for the rest of the team. I'm just being honest. The quarterback's off-the-field presence can set the tone for the rest of the team. While Bomar is not going to get thrown in the slammer . . . the precedent he sets can lead to some bad things. I'm hoping for greatness. Good news is this kid is durable. Man, what a tough nut. If he gets injured, though . . . we're in a fix. Everyone was getting all fired up about Hazle until he threw about 30 interceptions in his final 15 passes in the Spring. No bueno, amigos. Here's hoping Bomar keeps his nose clean, tempers his fire to a slow-burning flame, stays healthy, and keeps moving along the same trajectory with which he ended last year. That's a lot to ask of a sophomore . . . but with AD back in the mix, it could look pretty sweet.

Wide Receivers:Lots and lots of talent. A year of experience for some make-you-want-to-weep-they're-so-pretty true freshmen (Kelly, Iglesias, Johnson). But . . . they have a new position coach. When a college position coach makes the jump straight to the NFL, you have to know that you've lost something special. Darrel Wyatt was a coaching freak of nature, if you ask me. Can anyone name another WR coach who did what he did with the class of 2004 - I think all of his top three receivers (Clayton, Jones, Bradley) STARTED (at some point or another) in their first year in the NFL. Sumlin is a fantastic coash; but so was/is Bobby Jack Wright . . . and it took him some time to get acclimated to the new position.

Offensive Line:Man. We all need to go ahead and own this. We're anxious. We have to be. Yes, I love it that a concentrated group of lineman got a ton of reps in the Spring. Yes, I love it that they were going up against the best DL in college football. And it makes me get a little teary-eyed when I think of Brian Simmons stepping over to the offensive side of the ball and looking like the next coming of Jammal Brown or Davin Joseph. (Note to coaching staff: why don't we take ALL of our offensive line and make them start out at DL - we'll use it like a AAA farm league or something. Look what it's done. Crazy. ;) ) But the truth is that our line really had trouble coming together in 2005, and now we have a much younger group with an entirely new coach to the team. I thought our line took a step back last year, but then you look up and all of the departing seniors have made NFL rosters. Joseph & Chester in the top two rounds; Bush and Chaisson via FA. Man, we've got some big holes to fill . . . and those guys weren't even filling the holes left behind from 2004. This is my biggest area of concern. Also, let's not forget that we also lose Bubba Moses. I know he was no major player on the offense, but it's just another cog in the wheel of the offensive line that needs to be replaced, and we will not have a true blocking tight end (I don't think you can count Finley as a blocking tight end) with a down of experience. That does not bode well, either. So my pre-season "hope-you-can-pull-it-off" coaching award goes to the new OL coach from Northwestern. If he pulls that squad together such that Peterson gets over 1,600 yards, I'm going to name my first son James and my second one Patton. Make that my daughters, too. Side note: what the heck happened to Brandon Walker? I looked at some predictions for depth charts (and some articles) on rivals, and he was not even mentioned. Did I miss something? I thought that dude was expected to come in and compete right away. And speaking of JUCO arrivals, anyone else underwhelmed by Sherrone Moore? I thought he was going to come in and challenge. Now they're talking about red-shirting him. That sucks. If Walker is still in the mix, I hope he doesn't disappoint in the same way. But that wouldn't be a surprise, I suppose. Have we had any success with JUCO lineman transfers?

Tight Ends:It will be interesting to see how this group contributes to the offense this year. I get the feeling that Wilson has the creativity to work them in. It will be interesting to see if Finley can finally live up to the athleticism for which he was billed when we recruited him; and I'm eager to see if Jermaine Gresham will hit the field - and what he'll look like if he does. Is he the freak everyone expects him to be? It will be interesting to see.

Special Teams:Huge questions at punter. That should never be overlooked. It's a critical position, especially in the early part of the year when our new offensive line will be looking to get familiar with each other. Makes me nervous. On the positive side, here's a prediction that Chris Patterson (if he can make the grades, and it looks like he can) will be a one man wrecking crew on kick coverage. He's got the wheels and the build to have an Allen Patrick like impact. Another question . . . or more like a void: does anyone else besides me have a huge Antonio-Perkins-shaped hole in their heart? Every time an opposing team's punter boots it, I find myself wiping away sweat beads hoping that we catch the damn thing, and then with the pangs of nostalgia as the team leaves the field with only a 6 yard return. I hope that Reggie Smith does not disappoint. But I would hope we can give a good long look to Murray, Madu, Holmes, or someone else. Smith is too valuable at CB and our depth there is too questionable to have him dodging full-speed collisions. But then again, it's an important job. Either way, it's a question-mark.

Coaching:Defense will rock. Venables is gone after next year if we win the Big XII, so we probably need to have a solid co-defensive coordinator just in case we find ourselves in the same bind that Mike Stoops put us in before the Sugar Bowl. The bigger question will be how quickly the offensive coaching staff can gel with all of the new roles. There's not a SINGLE position that does not have a coaching change from the beginning of the 2005 season. If the new Offensive Coordinator can pull this off, I'll name my first son Kevin, and my next son Wilson. Wait a minute . . . I'm not sure that will work. Moving on . . . I do like what I've seen and read about the new coach. And having Heupel back is huge. A coach's kid working with a coach's kid coult not be better. Heupel is the perfect fit to bridle and direct Bomar's passion. Forgive me while I speak out of both sides of my mouth: my Sooner optimism would have me ignore my previously mentioned concerns about Bomar and, bearing Heupel's influence in mind, tab him as a dark horse contender for the Heisman. Wouldn't it be great to send a new QB back to NYC with AD? I'll throw a few chips on that red square.

The X-factor is Attitude:
I think we are hungry this year like we were hungry in previous years. I think the team felt the pain of being "average" last year, and I think the coaches won't stand for it again this year.

The Cotton-bowl Factor:
Five of the past six years, the National Championship has included the winner of the Red River Shoot-out. With Texas loss of Young, I like our odds to win it this year.

Comments/Concerns about the Schedule:The Big XII South is starting to get pretty scary. Tech and A&M are not be regarded lightly. Baylor has improved. And OSU, as much as they suck, can always show up for the Bedlam game. Also, we should not take it for granted that Oregon is going to roll over for us. Three-in-a-row off a top 20 team is a feat . . . especially when game #3 is on their home turf. I love our Big XII North schedule. I hope we hang the full hundred on Colorado at home-coming. I'll be in from Austin for that one.

A Not-so-surprising PredictionNow, with all that being said . . . I do think it's reasonable to pick our boys to be playing for the Crystal Ball in January 2007. And probably win it. It always takes a few bounces to go the right way, and maybe a lucky call or two from a ref; but all things being equal across the board for all the contenders entering the season, I think we've got the best shot of anyone.

OK. I'm going to end this memior/marathon now.:O

goingoneight
5/29/2006, 06:36 PM
***dammit, when's kickoff!?!?! :mad:

IronHorseSooner
5/29/2006, 06:43 PM
I don't think that you are that far off. The year hinges on the O-Line. The defense will be awesome. AD's performance, Bomar's confidence, the productivity out of the WR/TEs will be hinged on the O-Line. Hopefully, the staff will have learned from last year's errors with the O-Line. If the line gels, look for a shot at it all. If not, well, 9-3 is in the future.

birddog
5/29/2006, 07:28 PM
good post.

OUGreg723
5/29/2006, 07:54 PM
nice. The rest is in Stoops hands..

Big Red Ron
5/29/2006, 08:01 PM
:D Ya lost me somewhere around here....

" ...for some make-you-want-to-weep-they're-so-pretty true freshmen "

Good luck with that around here. heh - btw - welcome to Soonerfans. ;)

Snrfn4ever08
5/29/2006, 10:35 PM
great post man, keep 'em coming.

setem
5/29/2006, 10:51 PM
Awesome post!

The OL the OL the OL the OL...We have to have some guys who will block long enough for ole Boozer to make some plays. I really hope we throw to the TE's like we did back when we had Trent Smith. Last year durring Bedlam we tossed to the TE's a good bit. Take in account the top TE recruit for OU was there watching, but it worked! Why not work it in more this year? That DL is going to be insane...I can not wait to see them bust some folks up!

I am saying everything you said.

Great post again

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMER!!!

soonerhubs
5/29/2006, 11:20 PM
I enjoyed reading your comments. I'd like to see more posts from you.

Collier11
5/29/2006, 11:27 PM
"First things first: Nick, get off of this thread."

Excellent point, couldnt agree more

Defensive line (including ends)]B]: "There are teams in the NFL that might swap their depth chart for this one, given its talent, experience, and potential." Usually I would write a statement like this off as crimson shaded, but I actually agree, thibadeaux, dotson, birdine, williams, granger, mccoy, pendelton, ah you...show me a weak spot there??

[B]Running backs:
IF, and its a big if, but if murray is all we hear that he is, I dont want him red-shirted, having someone like him who can catch screens, play in the shotty, in the slot, return kicks, and run out of the I, I love the possibilities and the chance to give AD a break

Defensive backfield: This could be the best secondary at OU since Stoops has been here sept for maybe 2000 and 2003. Just think if Walker can actually stay healthy with the way he played as a freshmen and if lendy is for real...YIKES!!

Line-backers:"Lots of talent. Questions (with Reynolds loss) about depth. I think Chris Patterson could be the newcomer of the year if he makes his grades and gets some PT." Patterson by all accounts is the next torrance marshall and if thats true, may I say YES PLEASE!! Reynolds looked good in practice but the fact that he never did it on the field allows me to not be worried about the loss. We know latimer and Rufus will be great, so we need someone to step up so we can have atleast two quality guys behind those two.

Quarterback:"Anyone else nervous about this besides me?" To be honest, not at all. Bomar's last 7 games I think he was good if not great. The off the field things dont worry me at all because while he was in the wrong, it was underrage drinking and thats it. If you all out there dont think that 80% of college kids who are underrage dont drink you are sadly mistaken. IF it was drugs or grades or something like that, id be worried but I dont think his teammates are gonna lose respect in him cus he drank a beer.

Wide Receivers: We are LOADED here, ive heard coaches say this could be as good of a group that OU has had in stoops time here. They are so good that guys like manny johnson and quentin chaney and Fred strong may not even get on the field and id be willing to bet that any of those guys could start at 90% of D1 programs tommorrow.

Offensive Line:"Man. We all need to go ahead and own this. We're anxious. We have to be." I agree but I think the guys that got starting time last year are gonna be fine, We know that messner, duke, and cooper can play if healthy and focused...Simmons is a project but im hearing nothing but good things, and we still have walker and some freshmen coming in that makes me think it will be ok. Also, I think that wilson mixed with patton will be a good bet to get the right combo to be most successful

Tight Ends: I played bball with Joe Jon a few weeks ago and the guy is massive, he has put on so much muscle so I expect him to be able to block fine, and we know he can catch. If we can get the work ethic out of Gresham, I think and hope we will be fine here

Special Teams: Potential to be great here, but....can the juco guy we brought in beat out knall and be consistent cus it seems to be clear that he has the strongest leg of the two or Stoops wouldnt have brought him in right?? Since Antonio left, something has been wrong with punt return and kick return has been bad for several years, I dont know what weve changed(maybe jonathan hayes was just that good of a coach) but we used to be so dangerous on special teams. I think hartley will bounce back though and be alot better

"The X-factor is Attitude:
I think we are hungry this year like we were hungry in previous years. I think the team felt the pain of being "average" last year, and I think the coaches won't stand for it again this year." I couldnt agree more, ive said this before and some people disagree, but when we had guys like strait, lehman, everage, roy, etc... people not only knew we were a great D but they were also afraid of us. WHile teams know we are a good D the last few years, I dont think we put fear into anyone cus of our inability to cover the deep ball and get sacks, but I saw some of that coming back last year and I hope it carries over this year in a big way. I nominate lewis baker or darien williams as the new enforcer to just run around drilling people ala Everage, of course in a legal manner ;)

The Cotton-bowl Factor:
"Five of the past six years, the National Championship has included the winner of the Red River Shoot-out. With Texas loss of Young, I like our odds to win it this year." YES YES YES

Comments/Concerns about the Schedule:The Big XII South: I disagree with you slightly here, I think coach fran has lost his team and could be in for a long year, especially if they lose early. Tech will be good but I think they may be down a tad bit this year. Down as in 7-5 rather than 9-3. Baylor, I dont know. I keep thinking that this is the same ol baylor and last year was a fluke, time will tell. It wont be easy but I dont think they can beat us, I honestly dont. Texas, tough of course but no qb so I def. give us the nod. Puke state, theyve had the recruiting classes but still dont know if gundy is the guy. They will play us tough but I dont think they stay within 10 unless we get another one of those damn fluke games that they always seem to throw at us. Big 12 North opponents: Missouri doesnt scare me at all, although their frickin fans are nuts. Colorado at home will be cake even with the new coach who I think will be great at Colorado. Iowa state could be tough, they return a lot and could be a trap game right after texass.
Non conf: Uab and middle tenn are blowouts, while Uab may score some points, they provide no challenge. Wash should be a blowout, they were horrible last year but right before oregon you never know. Oregon will be tough as hell, but if we are a championship caliber team we should win that game and win it by atleast 10.

I would put the risk of losing like this for each game from highest risk to lowest
1 Oregon-seriously, its early against a tough team on the road
2 Okie state-seriously, we have traditionally played bad in stilly from time to time,
3 Texas- I dont see them being as big of a threat as most years cus of the loss of vince, romance probably, and we are seeking revenge for embarrassment
4 Iowa state- trap game like I said and they are good
5 Mizzou- we never play good there
6 Tech- I really and truly hope we score 90, I love leach but hate tech
7 Colorado- good coach, could have some tricks
8 A&M- still is college station right???
9 Baylor- still is baylor right???
9 Washington- could be trap game before oregon but they were horrible last year
10 Washington- could be trap game before oregon but they were horrible last year
11 Uab- decent team, we should handle though
12 Middle tennessee state- good lord why?

rhombic21
5/30/2006, 12:51 AM
My concerns for the season are primarily health oriented, AD, Bomar, the OL, and depth at LB and DB. Those are critical positions where we just can't afford to have any major injuries.

Remember how good the defense looked last year before Marcus Walker got hurt again, Birdine blew his bicep, and Williams tore a knee? That scary good DL would have been downright dominant last year when you throw Dusty into the mix. And how badly could we have used an experienced shut down corner against UCLA and Texas? Wolfe and Chijoke/Bassey came on late, but they struggled a lot early on.

And how good did the OL look last year before Millington and Keith left the team? Think, for a second, about how good our OL would have been last year if we'd have been able to play Millington and Messner at the tackles, and let Joseph play Guard? And then Chester, who turned out to be the second best center prospect in the nation, sprains his knee against KState, effectively ending his year at Center, while Bush breaks a hand, and Cooper has two separate njuries that keep him out of all but a handful of games. And it's already off to a bad start with this whole Roark situation. We CANNOT afford to have more linemen get injured or defect.

And I just want AD to stay healthy so that he can prove to the nation that he's the best back in America. It's not even that we don't have depth behind him, because honestly, I think that Patrick, Gute, and Murray/Brown are all pretty damn good, and will probably make a ****load of plays for us before their careers are over. But Adrian Peterson is the best runningback that I've ever seen. I can't compare him to the guys of Barry Sanders' era or earlier, but since I started watching college football in the mid 1990s, he's the best that I've ever seen. I just want him to go out and dominate for a full year the way that he did towards the end of last year once he started to get healthy.

And Bomar, what else can I say, but that the guy seems to attract big hits. Dude seems to take massive hits in EVERY single game. Even in the Holiday bowl, he breaks a finger or hurts his hand, and takes some tremendous contact. We simply do not have a QB behind him that's ready to play at the Division 1 level. I'm not even talking about being able to be good. We don't have anybody that's ready to play. If Halzle or Bradford have to play meaningful snaps next year, we're done.

If we stay healthy, then there's no doubt in my mind that we'll compete for a Big 12 title and NC. Don't know if we'll win them all or not, because usually those things require a little bit of luck, but talent wise, I think we match up with everybody in America (and compare well against some of the great Sooner teams in recent history). But it's May, and the last couple of years, we haven't been able to get out of September without somebody going down.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/30/2006, 01:23 AM
DE - the problem that i see here is that we have a lot of guys that can do different things, but we really don't have one guy that can do everything. in obvious passing situations, they should be beyond good but that wasn't the situation that hurt us last year. what hurt us was failure to contain the cutback lanes and keeping blockers off the corners. this isn't the most talented set of DEs we've had under stoops, but it is the most effective set of college DEs from a production standpoint. that gets a big thumbs up from me ;)

DT - this is where i worry. so much "potential" so little of it realized. at this point, i'd be satisfied if they could hold the LOS and keep people off our linebackers. my thinking is that this is going to be the most inconsistent position all season. getting sacks on one play and then getting blown 5 yards off the ball the next. the play of these guys will determine if we are a top 5 D or a top 15...

running backs - will they dance? will they reverse their field? will they fumble? will they get boneheaded celebration penalties? will they pass block? will they take what is given to them? will they stay healthy? last year we had tons of plays for negative yardage, that is what killed us on more drives than you can count. 2nd and 3 and peterson gets tossed for a 9 yard loss because he reverses his field. this year, especially early in the season, patience is going to be the key.

DB - the corners should be top notch. now i'm worried about safety. carter and williams have been solid in games, but nothing more. will they turn the corner? will solid be enough? will we see a woods running wild behind our D in stillwater again? on a side note, lendy holmes almost caught more INTs in 3 scrimmages than he did in 12 games as a receiver.

LBs - personally, i was disappointed in our linebacker play last year. rufus disappeared for halves at a time. just when latimer looked like he was turning the corner, boom shoulder injury (and based on our history of shoulder injuries, that one isn't getting better next year). ingram was solid and was outstanding by the end of the year. out of 6 years, it was the first down year for coach V. questions: will we be better? will patterson learn the D? if there is one guy that i've come to expect miracles from, its venables.

QB - eh, who knows

WR - sumlin - amazing coordinator, hasn't shown much at all as a position coach (quick when was the last time our TEs were 'supa'?). honestly, i have no idea what to expect. hopefully a little better than the R/W game.

OL - new coaches have tended to make pretty big splashes at OU under stoops. so, i think the OL will gel a lot quicker this year than in previous years. hopefully peterson will be healthy by the time it does.

ST - by brando's turban, can we please get jonathon hayes back? pay him anything he wants. anything. heck give him beano's cat if he wants it. if we give up another 1 bazillion yards on special teams to franochio i'm going to commit harry carey.

schedule - our schedule sucks. it sucks even more when you think we have zilch point nothing senior leadership. honestly, i'd cringe with that schedule if we had heupel and white at QB. the key thing to overcome it is attitude. we have to put the foot down on team's throats and grind their head into the turf. we have to play every frickin down as if its for the MNC, cause it will be.

overall, i don't think we have the horses to make it through this schedule unscathed. however, i see it as the perfect tempering for next year when we do have the horses.

Herr Scholz
5/30/2006, 09:59 AM
Honest question: what's your rotation and experience level at DT at this point? I know Granger is coming this Fall.

rhombic21
5/30/2006, 10:32 AM
Honest question: what's your rotation and experience level at DT at this point? I know Granger is coming this Fall.
Pendleton will be a 3 year starter. Coleman and Bennett both played significantly last year. Granger is coming off a RS season, and has been in Norman for a full year almost. McCoy is coming in the fall, and may redshirt depending on how much playing time he figures to get behind those 4.

jackal42601
5/30/2006, 11:25 AM
DAMN, THIS POST GOT ME SO ****ING PUMPED I'M READY TO KICK SOME Hook 'em ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Soonerman08
5/30/2006, 11:52 AM

Now . . . . let's start with our strengths and work down from there, by position:

Defensive line (including ends): I pretty much want to slowly rock myself as I weep with joy over this unit. When I think of the dominance this group will have, I get a little bit light-headed. Is there a question mark here at all? Could anything go wrong? The depth and talent are sickening. There are teams in the NFL that might swap their depth chart for this one, given its talent, experience, and potential.

Running backs:Nice stable of fleet backs who can make people miss. My big questions headed into the new year are: 1) How big of an impact will the lack of a lead blocker make on AD's game? We know that Zaslaw and Clapp are going to be riding the pine; and 2) Will Demarco Murray get any PT and what will he look like? Man, I loved those reels of that kid on Rivals. I kind of hope we RS him. But I wouldn't mind seeing the kid get on the field. He looks like he's going to be fun to watch.

Defensive backfield:I knew everyone's anxiety about this area of the defense was over-done. Spring proved it. This is Coach Wright's second year with this position and that dude can coach. The only question I see here is depth. I hope we can stay healthy and avoid pulling RS's on some of the youngin's. Lendy Holmes, who I thought was surely a bust when he looked to be begging off the competition at WR, give a boost to the position that needed more depth. The other question is just how good the group can be. Will Reggie live up to the new hype?

Line-backers:Lots of talent. Questions (with Reynolds loss) about depth. I think Chris Patterson could be the newcomer of the year if he makes his grades and gets some PT. Injuries at LB seem to always free up some PT, and he's got all the gears to come in and make a difference. I'm looking forward to seeing that dude on the field.

Quarterback:Anyone else nervous about this besides me? I know Bomar showed a lot of talent later in the year, but honestly, those off-the-field hiccups made me wonder about the kid. I hope that was just freshman stupidity; either way, it's not the sort of Heupel-like and White-like leadership model that you want to sport for the rest of the team. I'm just being honest. The quarterback's off-the-field presence can set the tone for the rest of the team. While Bomar is not going to get thrown in the slammer . . . the precedent he sets can lead to some bad things. I'm hoping for greatness. Good news is this kid is durable. Man, what a tough nut. If he gets injured, though . . . we're in a fix. Everyone was getting all fired up about Hazle until he threw about 30 interceptions in his final 15 passes in the Spring. No bueno, amigos. Here's hoping Bomar keeps his nose clean, tempers his fire to a slow-burning flame, stays healthy, and keeps moving along the same trajectory with which he ended last year. That's a lot to ask of a sophomore . . . but with AD back in the mix, it could look pretty sweet.

Wide Receivers:Lots and lots of talent. A year of experience for some make-you-want-to-weep-they're-so-pretty true freshmen (Kelly, Iglesias, Johnson). But . . . they have a new position coach. When a college position coach makes the jump straight to the NFL, you have to know that you've lost something special. Darrel Wyatt was a coaching freak of nature, if you ask me. Can anyone name another WR coach who did what he did with the class of 2004 - I think all of his top three receivers (Clayton, Jones, Bradley) STARTED (at some point or another) in their first year in the NFL. Sumlin is a fantastic coash; but so was/is Bobby Jack Wright . . . and it took him some time to get acclimated to the new position.

Offensive Line:Man. We all need to go ahead and own this. We're anxious. We have to be. Yes, I love it that a concentrated group of lineman got a ton of reps in the Spring. Yes, I love it that they were going up against the best DL in college football. And it makes me get a little teary-eyed when I think of Brian Simmons stepping over to the offensive side of the ball and looking like the next coming of Jammal Brown or Davin Joseph. (Note to coaching staff: why don't we take ALL of our offensive line and make them start out at DL - we'll use it like a AAA farm league or something. Look what it's done. Crazy. ;) ) But the truth is that our line really had trouble coming together in 2005, and now we have a much younger group with an entirely new coach to the team. I thought our line took a step back last year, but then you look up and all of the departing seniors have made NFL rosters. Joseph & Chester in the top two rounds; Bush and Chaisson via FA. Man, we've got some big holes to fill . . . and those guys weren't even filling the holes left behind from 2004. This is my biggest area of concern. Also, let's not forget that we also lose Bubba Moses. I know he was no major player on the offense, but it's just another cog in the wheel of the offensive line that needs to be replaced, and we will not have a true blocking tight end (I don't think you can count Finley as a blocking tight end) with a down of experience. That does not bode well, either. So my pre-season "hope-you-can-pull-it-off" coaching award goes to the new OL coach from Northwestern. If he pulls that squad together such that Peterson gets over 1,600 yards, I'm going to name my first son James and my second one Patton. Make that my daughters, too. Side note: what the heck happened to Brandon Walker? I looked at some predictions for depth charts (and some articles) on rivals, and he was not even mentioned. Did I miss something? I thought that dude was expected to come in and compete right away. And speaking of JUCO arrivals, anyone else underwhelmed by Sherrone Moore? I thought he was going to come in and challenge. Now they're talking about red-shirting him. That sucks. If Walker is still in the mix, I hope he doesn't disappoint in the same way. But that wouldn't be a surprise, I suppose. Have we had any success with JUCO lineman transfers?

Tight Ends:It will be interesting to see how this group contributes to the offense this year. I get the feeling that Wilson has the creativity to work them in. It will be interesting to see if Finley can finally live up to the athleticism for which he was billed when we recruited him; and I'm eager to see if Jermaine Gresham will hit the field - and what he'll look like if he does. Is he the freak everyone expects him to be? It will be interesting to see.

Special Teams:Huge questions at punter. That should never be overlooked. It's a critical position, especially in the early part of the year when our new offensive line will be looking to get familiar with each other. Makes me nervous. On the positive side, here's a prediction that Chris Patterson (if he can make the grades, and it looks like he can) will be a one man wrecking crew on kick coverage. He's got the wheels and the build to have an Allen Patrick like impact. Another question . . . or more like a void: does anyone else besides me have a huge Antonio-Perkins-shaped hole in their heart? Every time an opposing team's punter boots it, I find myself wiping away sweat beads hoping that we catch the damn thing, and then with the pangs of nostalgia as the team leaves the field with only a 6 yard return. I hope that Reggie Smith does not disappoint. But I would hope we can give a good long look to Murray, Madu, Holmes, or someone else. Smith is too valuable at CB and our depth there is too questionable to have him dodging full-speed collisions. But then again, it's an important job. Either way, it's a question-mark.

Coaching:Defense will rock. Venables is gone after next year if we win the Big XII, so we probably need to have a solid co-defensive coordinator just in case we find ourselves in the same bind that Mike Stoops put us in before the Sugar Bowl. The bigger question will be how quickly the offensive coaching staff can gel with all of the new roles. There's not a SINGLE position that does not have a coaching change from the beginning of the 2005 season. If the new Offensive Coordinator can pull this off, I'll name my first son Kevin, and my next son Wilson. Wait a minute . . . I'm not sure that will work. Moving on . . . I do like what I've seen and read about the new coach. And having Heupel back is huge. A coach's kid working with a coach's kid coult not be better. Heupel is the perfect fit to bridle and direct Bomar's passion. Forgive me while I speak out of both sides of my mouth: my Sooner optimism would have me ignore my previously mentioned concerns about Bomar and, bearing Heupel's influence in mind, tab him as a dark horse contender for the Heisman. Wouldn't it be great to send a new QB back to NYC with AD? I'll throw a few chips on that red square.

The X-factor is Attitude:
I think we are hungry this year like we were hungry in previous years. I think the team felt the pain of being "average" last year, and I think the coaches won't stand for it again this year.

The Cotton-bowl Factor:
Five of the past six years, the National Championship has included the winner of the Red River Shoot-out. With Texas loss of Young, I like our odds to win it this year.

Comments/Concerns about the Schedule:The Big XII South is starting to get pretty scary. Tech and A&M are not be regarded lightly. Baylor has improved. And OSU, as much as they suck, can always show up for the Bedlam game. Also, we should not take it for granted that Oregon is going to roll over for us. Three-in-a-row off a top 20 team is a feat . . . especially when game #3 is on their home turf. I love our Big XII North schedule. I hope we hang the full hundred on Colorado at home-coming. I'll be in from Austin for that one.

A Not-so-surprising PredictionNow, with all that being said . . . I do think it's reasonable to pick our boys to be playing for the Crystal Ball in January 2007. And probably win it. It always takes a few bounces to go the right way, and maybe a lucky call or two from a ref; but all things being equal across the board for all the contenders entering the season, I think we've got the best shot of anyone.
OK. I'm going to end this memior/marathon now.:O

I don't think Venables is leaving for a while. He did after all turn down the K-State job. A position everyone thought he was a shoe in for. This is the first time Stoops has handed over the Defensive reigns solely to just one person. Venables this past year was named Defensive Coordinator/Intermediate Head Coach and Bobby Jack Wright was named Co-Defensive Coordinator. I think the Co-Defensive Coordinating position was just for suscession in case Venables did leave.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/30/2006, 12:48 PM
Pendleton will be a 3 year starter. Coleman and Bennett both played significantly last year. Granger is coming off a RS season, and has been in Norman for a full year almost. McCoy is coming in the fall, and may redshirt depending on how much playing time he figures to get behind those 4.

experienced, but lacking weight. bennett and pendleton are only good for 40% of the snaps because they wear down. with our lack of size we may be running a 5-6 man rotation this year.

Rogue
5/30/2006, 06:17 PM
Must.
Stay.
Healthy.

Blitzkrieg
5/31/2006, 06:39 AM
More than personel, I'm interested in how we attack offensively. Without runnels, do we use more one back? Use the TE much, or just go downtown with our gazelles like we did in 2004?

AD needs to be deep in the "I" and running downhill, but the other backs give us the chance to use a sideways first step running game like we had with Q. The combo could be deadly, although the two styles are so polar, I'm not sure you can be good at both.

I don't want to see Bomar ever running unless he has looked off his WRs and hookslides for the first down marker. He's going to get killed if he doesn't watch out.

I wish our coaches would watch the KC Chiefs offense this year, because it is going to be the finished product of what we could have. Larry Johnson is a friggin sledgehammer, and AD reminds me of him, especially when it comes to finishing runs. When you can run to the LOS, find nothing, and still push the pile for 3 yards on first down, it makes 3rd down so much easier. I know that Wilson used that sprint/draw offense @ Northwestern, but he also had a bunch of math and accounting majors to work with. Our OL may have question marks, but they are big, and if we can get them drive blocking, we could shorten these games and get AD the chance to be one on one with a safety or corner on occasion, and we know how that will play out (remember him throwing the tech corner out of bounds with one arm on his way to that last TD?).

It will be a fun year. I really hate the high rankings and expectations. It unbdoubtedly helps with recruiting, but I'd rather fly under the radar and let UT choke on the unrealistic expectations that follow a title.

IronHorseSooner
5/31/2006, 10:39 AM
I wish our coaches would watch the KC Chiefs offense this year, because it is going to be the finished product of what we could have. Larry Johnson is a friggin sledgehammer, and AD reminds me of him, especially when it comes to finishing runs. When you can run to the LOS, find nothing, and still push the pile for 3 yards on first down, it makes 3rd down so much easier.

Blitz, I agree totally. More than Dickerson, I believe that AD reminds me more of Larry Johnson. It think that the one back set with 3 wide outs spreads the field more. I believe we will see the FB/ 2 TE sets more on short yardage and goal-line situations than as the normal offense. I wonder if the Offensive staff will try to use Murray/ Gute as more of 3rd-down backs. Based on their talents, this might be more of where they are. If the line gels (because the talent is there), the permutations on what could be done on offense are endless. The guy who I can't wait to see on the field (if they don't redshirt him) is Adron Tennell. I think this guy can be really special. Our size at WR/TE is freaking ungodly! Their average size might be as big or bigger than the BBALL team!:D

The Consumate Showman
5/31/2006, 06:48 PM
Here's our keys, (they go along with what Mr. JKM was saying),:

#1 - Stay Healthy!
#2 - Don't get cocky when people start patting you on the back
#3 - Get back the killer instinct we used to have and have for some reason lost.

I don't know, but IMO, I think Stoops, or someone, has started to get a little soft when it somes to beating the hell out of a team since we rolled up the aggies 77-0. I'm sorry, but if they can't tackle a third string RB or FB walking across the line, they deserve to get beat that bad. We need to put it to AFLAC for trying to make a comeback on us, stomp on Saxet's pride by about 35, MURDER those FREAKIN red raiders, and annihilate okie light.

If we do all those things and, fingers crossed, win out, we can't do like we did in '03 and lay an egg in the big XII game. Basically, they can't be going around reading and listening to what the media is saying about them.

Lastly, we have GOT to stay healthy! If we can keep our starters helathy the entire year, I think we go to the Fiesta Bowl. If not, ?????

BTW, good post burton! Great stuff to read and I have to say I agree with all of your concerns for '06.....

setem
6/1/2006, 12:13 PM
Why are Zaslaw and Clapp going to be sitting?

The Consumate Showman
6/1/2006, 09:50 PM
Why are Zaslaw and Clapp going to be sitting?

Maybe he thinks we won't be needing them with AD being 100%....

I do think that Clapp will be starting when the FB is needed, though.;)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
6/2/2006, 09:09 AM

The whole post was good but this was the best part.