PDA

View Full Version : Who killed the electric car?

OUstudent4life
5/29/2006, 02:16 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/whokilledtheelectriccar/trailer/

I remember hearing about GM making all the people that had these return them, to be shredded...there was an uproar, because no one wanted to give them up.

I'm not saying it's the way to solve all the problems, but really, what happened here? For example, these cars came out a while ago. NOW auto companies are starting to think about offering cars that go the first 20-40 miles on electricity, then switch to gas? I understand the electrical grid/electric prices wouldn't be able to take EVERYONE having COMPLETELY electric cars...but the full electric/gas hybrids would make a dent...maybe.

At a comparable cost of $0.40/gallon...I'd buy one. Hell, 90% of my driving is under 40 miles/day.

Idiots. In my opinion, this is one place where letting private companies completely dictate the market failed. It works sometimes, but not all the time.

noleamite
5/29/2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/whokilledtheelectriccar/trailer/

I remember hearing about GM making all the people that had these return them, to be shredded...there was an uproar, because no one wanted to give them up.

I'm not saying it's the way to solve all the problems, but really, what happened here? For example, these cars came out a while ago. NOW auto companies are starting to think about offering cars that go the first 20-40 miles on electricity, then switch to gas?

At a comparable cost of $0.40/gallon...I'd buy one. Hell, 90% of my driving is under 40 miles/day.

Idiots. In my opinion, this is one place where letting private companies completely dictate the market failed. It works sometimes, but not all the time.

I'm guessing BIG OIL companies. GM makes higher profit margins on gas guzzling SUV's, as due the oil companies. Not claiming any conspiracy theory but it makes good business sense.

jacru
5/29/2006, 02:21 PM
Nobody completely dictates the market. Though many would like to do so.

noleamite
5/29/2006, 02:23 PM
Nobody completely dictates the market. Though many would like to do so.

Microsoft? Windows?

jacru
5/29/2006, 02:27 PM
There are alternatives.

noleamite
5/29/2006, 02:32 PM
what linux? apple? unix or perhaps dos? -tim allen laugh-

BajaOklahoma
5/29/2006, 02:50 PM
Talk to a mechanic. And the police/firemen/rescuers.
They are dangerous to work on or rescue from in event of damage around the batteries. Not just the acid, but the possibility of electrocution.

Okla-homey
5/29/2006, 02:57 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3121/muntitled9ko.png (http://imageshack.us)
Mercedes-Benz "Smart Car." Now available in North America.

$27K MSRP.

60 mpg. Three cylinder turbo-charged gas engine. Top end 85 MPH. Manual or auto-shift. Power windows, locks, A/C and CD player. Driver and passenger sit ensconced in a tubular steel roll-cage, airbags all-round.

noleamite
5/29/2006, 03:01 PM
:mad: LOL..i just cant see myself looking cool in a glorified golf cart..but if gas continues to rise.

Big Red Ron
5/29/2006, 03:02 PM
Heh, Al Gore invented it and yanked it with one broad stroke. Ya know, right after he invented the internet.

noleamite
5/29/2006, 03:03 PM
Talk to a mechanic. And the police/firemen/rescuers.
They are dangerous to work on or rescue from in event of damage around the batteries. Not just the acid, but the possibility of electrocution.

Is it any more risky than dealing with a gasoline powered car that could potentialy explode?

WhiteRiverSooner
5/29/2006, 03:06 PM
We have 3 of these. One is a pickup truck. They aren't producing them anymore, but you can still find them. Just search Ebay under GEM cars or FORD THINK. There are a lot of aftermarket accessories available for them. They aren't much more than a golf cart, but they do have seatbelts, lights and windshield wipers and are street legal in most states.

noleamite
5/29/2006, 03:10 PM
Yes...I was working for FORD when they where pushing them around 1999/2000. They drive very golf cart like. It was just wierd seeing a vehicle plugged into a outlet.

Jimminy Crimson
5/29/2006, 03:17 PM
Video killed the....

...nevermind. ;)

walkoffsooner
5/29/2006, 06:24 PM
EZ-GO