PDA

View Full Version : Apparently Memorial Day doesn’t make the cut....

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2006, 01:35 PM
to change their logo.

www.google.com

OUstudent4life
5/29/2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I saw that earlier.

On this one Tuba, I'll take your side :D

handcrafted
5/29/2006, 02:05 PM
Well, they missed Earth Day this year, too. Somebody's not on the ball. :D

OUstudent4life
5/29/2006, 02:18 PM
Maybe they're all on vacation...Google is notorious for how nice it is to work for them :D

King Crimson
5/29/2006, 02:20 PM
just because Oklahoma Tuba is paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get him. ;)

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2006, 02:23 PM
Kings just mad they didn't celebrate Hugo's Birthday with him. ;)

King Crimson
5/29/2006, 02:28 PM
Kings just mad they didn't celebrate Hugo's Birthday with him. ;)

forget Hugo, he's a small timer. i'm all about Mao. :P

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/29/2006, 05:11 PM
forget Hugo, he's a small timer. i'm all about Mao. :PWhere are Che and Fidel on your good guys list?

Scott D
5/29/2006, 05:13 PM
Where are Che and Fidel on your good guys list?

wow....just wow.

King Crimson
5/29/2006, 05:16 PM
somewhere between sarcasm and irony.

OKC Sooner
5/29/2006, 05:16 PM
I use hotsheet.com for my home page, and they DID change theirs. Spek to 'em.

Scott D
5/29/2006, 05:21 PM
did it really injure your psyche that much Tuba?

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 05:43 PM
did it really injure your psyche that much Tuba?

sometimes its ok to draw a line in the sand and take a stand for something of principle

give it a try...

hurricane'bone
5/29/2006, 05:48 PM
to change their logo.

www.google.com

I'm glad it finally took you seven years to notice.

King Crimson
5/29/2006, 05:49 PM
sometimes its ok to draw a line in the sand and take a stand for something of principle

give it a try...

sometimes thinking for yourself doesn't mean repeating a phrase from the first gulf war......as though it were some time immemorial fact?

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 06:08 PM
i dont think the first gulf war is where the phrase "draw a line in the sand" originated

but....yeah whatever

Okla-homey
5/29/2006, 06:11 PM
Newsflash: they're libz. It would have violated the prime directive.

No biggy. I enjoy using Google to shop for guns and cheap ammo and stuff.

Mixer!
5/29/2006, 06:37 PM
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2073281060516.gif

Jerk
5/29/2006, 06:45 PM
If you missed this original post...I'm sorry.

bri
5/29/2006, 06:51 PM

give it a try...

And sometimes it's okay to freak out over every little percieved slight and affront to 'Merica, real or not, and try and start sh*t as a hobby because it's easier than reading a book. :D

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 06:54 PM
i wasnt aware he freaked out.....he made an observation

if Scott is the appointed "tuba needler", then good jorb!

5/29/2006, 06:56 PM
And sometimes it's okay to freak out over every little percieved slight and affront to 'Merica, real or not, and try and start sh*t as a hobby because it's easier than reading a book. :DRIGHT ON!

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 07:00 PM
question for you libs.....do you think google purposely chose not to do the holiday decoration on their site? or was it just mere oversite

they remembered st patricks day...went out of their way to put a special logo on their front page....they've done it on other holidays as well

so on the day where we remember the thousands of men and women who died for our country......and the observation is made that they didnt...

thats a bad thing? if somebody besides tuba had delivered that observation, i'll bet the responses would have been different

Newbomb Turk
5/29/2006, 07:00 PM
Newsflash: they're libz. It would have violated the prime directive.

No biggy. I enjoy using Google to shop for guns and cheap ammo and stuff.

I think Homey has it figured out.

hurricane'bone
5/29/2006, 07:12 PM
question for you libs.....do you think google purposely chose not to do the holiday decoration on their site? or was it just mere oversite

they remembered st patricks day...went out of their way to put a special logo on their front page....they've done it on other holidays as well

so on the day where we remember the thousands of men and women who died for our country......and the observation is made that they didnt...

thats a bad thing? if somebody besides tuba had delivered that observation, i'll bet the responses would have been different

I'd probably feel differently if they used to put out a Memorial Day Logo, but they haven't.

Of course you could always go to www.google.com/unclesam and get your patriotic search on.

If we're going to start talking about how bad it is that we remember the men and women that died for our country, we should probably also talk about the people who are at the lake right now, drinking beer, trying to get girls to get naked, and really aren't caring about what the holiday is they are enjoying but that fact that they didn't have to go to work today.

Are you also outraged at the fact that businesses aren't closed today?

It seems tuba posted this becuase the blogosphere is buzzing about it. A quick search at Icerocket for google logo gets 105 posts, with one entitled "Google Hates The Troops!" Well...so does msn, yahoo, soonerfans.com, and every single other web page that doesn't has a special logo right? I mean, sf.com has changed its logo for special events, and this is a special event isn't it?

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 07:14 PM
wow, talk about a stretch....

Okla-homey
5/29/2006, 07:18 PM
At least they remembered to commemorate the 250th Mozart's birthday earlier this winter. Which was nice.

Perhaps they left off Memorial day b/c they are a huge multi-national corporation now and it would be awkard to make a big dealio over uniquely American holidays. Let's wait and see what happens on Cuarto de Julio.

Jerk
5/29/2006, 07:25 PM
Did they have a hammer and sickle logo on May 1st?

lefty
5/29/2006, 07:35 PM
I can barely stomach those libz and dims. First, the War on Christmas, the the War on Easter, and now the War on Memorial Day. I can only think what these people will do for the Fourth of July.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 07:37 PM
yawn.....weakest troll ever

hurricane'bone
5/29/2006, 07:38 PM
wow, talk about a stretch....

I know...I mean...they're just a company that didn't change their logo on a website and so many people are up in arms over it. Maybe they should just change their google homepage to http://www.google.com/unclesam and never have to worry about having a non-patriotic search ever again.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 07:40 PM
ok, you do understand the concept of a simple observation

tuba posted the link to google's front page and said apparently memorial day didnt cut it....and thats it, no political commentary, nothing

you posted 2 paragraphs of spin trying to defend the fact that they didnt.......like i said, if somebody besides tuba had posted the "observation", few would have said a damn thing

i also think you're confusing the meaning of memorial day with some other patriotic day

Jerk
5/29/2006, 07:41 PM
I can barely stomach those libz and dims. First, the War on Christmas, the the War on Easter, and now the War on Memorial Day. I can only think what these people will do for the Fourth of July.

The UN is having a conference on 4 of July to try and ban civilian ownership of guns worldwide via treaty.

Thanks for stepping in!

5/29/2006, 07:44 PM
I can barely stomach those libz and dims. First, the War on Christmas, the the War on Easter, and now the War on Memorial Day. I can only think what these people will do for the Fourth of July.They keep pushing, and somehow think they're being persuasive.

hurricane'bone
5/29/2006, 07:48 PM
ok, you do understand the concept of a simple observation

tuba posted the link to google's front page and said apparently memorial day didnt cut it....and thats it, no political commentary, nothing

you posted 2 paragraphs of spin trying to defend the fact that they didnt.......like i said, if somebody besides tuba had posted the "observation", few would have said a damn thing

i also think you're confusing the meaning of memorial day with some other patriotic day

Yes JK I do.

Unfortunately...nothing is posted on this website without some sort of political commentary. Every single person on this board has created an online alias, and they have used that alias in the past to share their beliefs from who should be the starting qb on the football team to why their side of the aisle is always the good guys in any situation. You said it yourself when you switched from SoonerFanJK to jk the soonerfan.

Jerk
5/29/2006, 07:58 PM
Yes JK I do.

Unfortunately...nothing is posted on this website without some sort of political commentary. Every single person on this board has created an online alias, and they have used that alias in the past to share their beliefs from who should be the starting qb on the football team to why their side of the aisle is always the good guys in any situation. You said it yourself when you switched from SoonerFanJK to jk the soonerfan.

So, if Tuba posted that the sky was blue, it would reflect his 'online alias' which is obviously RIGHT WING NEO-CON REDNECK and thus, every board liberal must stop by and explain why Tuba is wrong...no, indeed, the sky is not blue!

Tuba simply posted that Google did not observe Memorial Day...and he's right. They observe every other holiday out there, but they omit this one. Wierd, huh? IT'S JUST AN OBSERVATION.

hurricane'bone
5/29/2006, 08:04 PM
They observe EVERY other holiday?

And Tuba isn't a redneck...thats you. ;)

proud gonzo
5/29/2006, 08:06 PM
i'm surprised jerk isn't banned yet

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 08:29 PM
Yes JK I do.

i'm glad you remember what i said on the switch because i sure as hell dont

sure Tuba had a point to made, but he did it by letting the actual facts speak for itself....

lefty
5/29/2006, 08:54 PM
JK,

Troll might be the correct description, however, I have been lurking for a number of years, choosing not to post (not sure why, just didn't). My comment was with tongue firmly placed in cheek. Probably should have used a smilie but was interested in how it would be interpreted. I was not necessarily disappointed. My response to the thread was prompted by the assumption that the failure to "wave the flag" by Google (or anyone else for that matter) necessarily indicated an attempt to undermine the USA. It seemed to me that because Tuba started the thread it was more than simply an observation of fact. Of course, Tuba has every right to start any thread he wants. It just seems to me that all of his threads have a political undertone. It just so happens that I disagree with most everything he has ever posted. I relish intelligent, reasoned discussions about a wide range of topics, but do insist on some level of empirical evidence in support of said arguments. Pulling stuff out of one's butt is pretty easy, defending those arguments is not always as simple. I've been around for a long time and have been around the block more than once. It seems to me that the more I've learned, the less I know.

Scott D
5/29/2006, 08:57 PM

give it a try...

I do take stands...and I think this stand is a bit silly. I mean why don't we have a thread bitching about how Hallmark doesn't have 50 bajillion different cards to buy for today? Afterall, it's a holiday so obviously there should be cards made for it.

Perhaps the stand should be taken with those whom claim to be the foremost experts in what holidays matter and don't matter in this country...Hallmark and American Greetings.

OCUDad
5/29/2006, 09:17 PM
So, if Tuba posted that the sky was blue...
We would all assume he was complaining about the lack of red and white. :)

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 09:38 PM
I do take stands...

really? i only ever see you planted squarely on the middle of the fence

nothing wrong with that of course...

NYSooner1355
5/29/2006, 09:42 PM
the only thing I don't understand is how, exactly, would google changing their logo help you, me, google co., or anyone else for that matter really pay tribute to those who've given their last full measure for this country?

how 'bout we just pay our respects for the men and women who have given their lives and the families that have had to deal with that pain...

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 09:43 PM
JK,

Troll might be the correct description, however, I have been lurking for a number of years, choosing not to post (not sure why, just didn't). My comment was with tongue firmly placed in cheek. Probably should have used a smilie but was interested in how it would be interpreted. I was not necessarily disappointed. My response to the thread was prompted by the assumption that the failure to "wave the flag" by Google (or anyone else for that matter) necessarily indicated an attempt to undermine the USA. It seemed to me that because Tuba started the thread it was more than simply an observation of fact. Of course, Tuba has every right to start any thread he wants. It just seems to me that all of his threads have a political undertone. It just so happens that I disagree with most everything he has ever posted. I relish intelligent, reasoned discussions about a wide range of topics, but do insist on some level of empirical evidence in support of said arguments. Pulling stuff out of one's butt is pretty easy, defending those arguments is not always as simple. I've been around for a long time and have been around the block more than once. It seems to me that the more I've learned, the less I know.

forgive me if i cough bull****......your first post ever is what it is

empirical evidence for an opinion?

i dont know, maybe its just me.....i actually got what tuba was trying to say....i'm nowhere near a tuba fan, he's way out there on alot of things, but i took off my "tuba hating glasses" just long enough to see that he was pointing out something that you can draw your own conclusions about

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 09:45 PM
the only thing I don't understand is how, exactly, would google changing their logo help you, me, google co., or anyone else for that matter really pay tribute to those who've given their last full measure for this country?

nope it wouldnt.....and didnt

bri
5/29/2006, 09:51 PM
I love that Google is AUTOMATICALLY "libz" because they DIDN'T HAVE A SPECIAL MEMORIAL DAY LOGO. That's the kind of broad brushstrokes that keeps me coming back to SF.com. :D

I mean, if they were REALLY libs, they would have had a special logo for the anniversay of Roe v. Wade. Wire hanger, perhaps? ;)

JohnnyMack
5/29/2006, 09:54 PM
If the line in the sand one chooses is whether or not google changed their home page for Memorial Day or not, I feel a reassessment of life's priorities is in order.

I for one spent Memorial Day spitting on WWII Vets and throwing rocks through the windows of local military recruiting offices. While I wasn't doing that I was making hammer and sicle crop circles and listening to the Dixie Chicks on my ipod.

Scott D
5/29/2006, 09:56 PM
really? i only ever see you planted squarely on the middle of the fence

nothing wrong with that of course...

well let me know when the angry protests, letter writing campaigns, and boycotts of Hallmark and American Greetings begin, so I can be at the front of the line with everyone else who is so righteously offended by Google today.

Scott D
5/29/2006, 09:56 PM
If the line in the sand one chooses is whether or not google changed their home page for Memorial Day or not, I feel a reassessment of life's priorities is in order.

I for one spent Memorial Day spitting on WWII Vets and throwing rocks through the windows of local military recruiting offices. While I wasn't doing that I was making hammer and sicle crop circles and listening to the Dixie Chicks on my ipod.

even for sarcasm that's over the line bud.

lefty
5/29/2006, 09:59 PM
forgive me if i cough bull****......your first post ever is what it is

empirical evidence for an opinion?

i dont know, maybe its just me.....i actually got what tuba was trying to say....i'm nowhere near a tuba fan, he's way out there on alot of things, but i took off my "tuba hating glasses" just long enough to see that he was pointing out something that you can draw your own conclusions about

The point is not to "hate on Tuba." The fact that Google or anyone else doesn't put up the stars and stripes today doesn't necessarily mean anything. To bring it up suggests, at least to me, that someone thinks it does. As was noted above, why didn't Tuba, or anyone else, complain because there weren't greeting cards for today. Sometimes stuff just doesn't mean anything so why bring it up. By the way, one does need some evidence to support an opinion if it is to be taken seriously. Otherwise I, or anyone else, could say that the earth was flat and that opinion would be as valid as any other.

JohnnyMack
5/29/2006, 10:04 PM
even for sarcasm that's over the line bud.

You're just mad cause you're down 3-1. :P

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:07 PM
ok, so now you want greetings cards for memorial day......gee, which dead vet do i send it to

how incredibly stupid

seriously, its a really simple observation.........google changes their website on other holidays......you know, like st patricks day, christmas, valentines day, mozarts birthday......etc etc......on the day that we all stop and take even just a moment to recognize those who spilled their blood for our country......google doesnt

its interesting.....i have no idea why they chose not to do their normal routine on memorial day.......but its an interesting observation

does it have any real effect on anybody? absolutely not......is it ok to think its wrong of them to omit that? of course

JohnnyMack
5/29/2006, 10:13 PM
Here's a list.

http://www.google.com/holidaylogos.html

Here's 4th of July last year:

http://www.google.com/logos/july4th05.gif

Fu*kin' commies. :rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:14 PM
well at least they made sure to not offend the blacks ;)

Scott D
5/29/2006, 10:15 PM
and I don't see why it's an observation that merits some sort of conspiracy belief. So they don't...tis a shame they don't, however life goes on. The point generally is that companies take their graphic rememberance cues from Hallmark. This isn't a revenue generating Holiday (except for water parks and beaches/campsites) therefore Hallmark must not feel this holiday is important either.

Getting mad at Google not having a changed header is pointless, and reeks of people who have far too much free time which is indicated by the obsessive blogging about how things that don't go exactly with their view as further proof that the country is going down the crapper.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:19 PM
and I don't see why it's an observation that merits some sort of conspiracy belief. So they don't...tis a shame they don't, however life goes on. The point generally is that companies take their graphic rememberance cues from Hallmark. This isn't a revenue generating Holiday (except for water parks and beaches/campsites) therefore Hallmark must not feel this holiday is important either.

Getting mad at Google not having a changed header is pointless, and reeks of people who have far too much free time which is indicated by the obsessive blogging about how things that don't go exactly with their view as further proof that the country is going down the crapper.

did you look at this years list? i'd hardly say they took their cues from hallmark

sir arthur conan doyles birthday
persian new year
birthday of percival lowell
winter games - torino
lunar new year
mozarts birthday
braille's birthday

you honestly think i'm mad at google? lol...please......maybe others, but not i

Scott D
5/29/2006, 10:23 PM
did you look at this years list? i'd hardly say they took their cues from hallmark

sir arthur conan doyles birthday
persian new year
birthday of percival lowell
winter games - torino
lunar new year
mozarts birthday
braille's birthday

you honestly think i'm mad at google? lol...please......maybe others, but not i

no, I think at this point you find the subject nearly as amusing as I do.

Why they chose the 147th anniversary of doyle's birth is beyond me. Persian New Year once makes sense since they've done Chinese New Year before as well. Mozart was his 250th anniv. of birth. My assumption was that Braille's was something specific as well...same with Einstein.

lefty
5/29/2006, 10:25 PM

That's exactly the point. Would it have been nice had Google had a patriotic logo? I suppose most would agree. That they didn't is no indication of anything expect perhaps that one of their webmasters failed to think about it. But perhaps that means that webmasters hate America. What do you think? Perhaps the NSA should wiretap all webmasters and determine who they talk to?

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:26 PM
well all i know is this, i'm sending every one of you bitches a percival lowell birthday card

every.......one.......of you

i do find it interesting that those of you who I would label as "aligned with the left" are taking the counter argument on this

hence my original comment - its ok to take a stand on some things....

Scott D
5/29/2006, 10:27 PM
I'll agree with you when they start having the hammer and sickle logo. ;)

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:29 PM
see......while i dont think its a conspiracy, i do think a conscious decision was made....i mean, google is not some company running out of my neighbors garage.....they are the face of the internet in many respects.....if they can make a concerted effort to spruce up the front page for mozarts 250th birthday......then somebody somewhere is in charge of all that

whatever the reason was.....it wasnt accidental, i dont buy that for a minute

Scott D
5/29/2006, 10:31 PM
but what makes it an issue in 2006 when it wasn't an issue in 1999 through 2005?

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:32 PM
no idea, i'm not the author of the thread!

Scott D
5/29/2006, 10:33 PM
so in other words, we'll never get an answer ;)

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:35 PM
not a straight one :)

bri
5/29/2006, 10:43 PM
So, we should ask doleo? ;)

lefty
5/29/2006, 10:44 PM
see......while i dont think its a conspiracy, i do think a conscious decision was made....i mean, google is not some company running out of my neighbors garage.....they are the face of the internet in many respects.....if they can make a concerted effort to spruce up the front page for mozarts 250th birthday......then somebody somewhere is in charge of all that

whatever the reason was.....it wasnt accidental, i dont buy that for a minute

You really believe someone sat at their desk and decided not to put up a patriotic web page? I mean, people sat around and made a concious decision NOT to respect the soldiers that that gave their lives for our country. They really did this? What would be the motivation? If they did indeed hate America, don't you think they would try to hide it so they could undermine us? It just doesn't seem reasonable that someone would be so upfront about trying to overthrow the US.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:46 PM
you really think one single schmoe at google headquarters has artistic license over that?

you're cant be serious......i guarantee you they have a committee of probably half a dozen people that "brainstorm" which holidays to "commemorate" and which ones to ignore

lefty
5/29/2006, 10:49 PM
you really think one single schmoe at google headquarters has artistic license over that?

you're cant be serious......i guarantee you they have a committee of probably half a dozen people that "brainstorm" which holidays to "commemorate" and which ones to ignore

Me thinks your tongue is beginning to lodge itself in your cheek.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:51 PM
nope, not in the least

i dont for a minute think there's one guy at google that makes that decision

no way no how

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2006, 10:57 PM
Heh.

royalfan5
5/29/2006, 11:00 PM
If you use Google on the task bar, you don't have to worry about what Holiday's they recognize.

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2006, 11:05 PM
Whys that? Doesn't it still take you to the website?

royalfan5
5/29/2006, 11:06 PM
Whys that? Doesn't it still take you to the website?
I don't think the search results page changes, or at least I haven't noticed changes to the search results page.

OCUDad
5/29/2006, 11:12 PM
Whys that? Doesn't it still take you to the website?Not unless you ask it to. The toolbar allows you to do Google searches from the toolbar itself without having to go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com).

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2006, 11:15 PM
I relish intelligent, reasoned discussions about a wide range of topics, but do insist on some level of empirical evidence in support of said arguments. Pulling stuff out of one's butt is pretty easy, defending those arguments is not always as simple. I've been around for a long time and have been around the block more than once. It seems to me that the more I've learned, the less I know.

You must not read many of my threads lefty. "Pulling stuff out of my butt" isn't something I do, and this thread is a perfect example of this.

I backup what I say based on fact. I admit that my opinions are wrong at times, and that people can disagree on stuff (which is good) but its my opinion supported by FACTS.

And we all know facts are not kind to people who consider themselves to be "lefties".

This is why I am hated so badly by many leftists on this board I think. They hate that their liberal world view is challenged in anyway. A great example of "progressive" hypocracy.

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2006, 11:16 PM
Not unless you ask it to. The toolbar allows you to do Google searches from the toolbar itself without having to go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com).

Ah, k.

Mine just goes right back to the website.

Scott D
5/29/2006, 11:17 PM
Ah, k.

Mine just goes right back to the website.

why do you hate toolbar goodness? :D

Ike
5/29/2006, 11:45 PM
since I never stop in on googles homepage, I never know what the hell their logo is. my firefox search bar goes straight to my search results. That being said, I always thought their logo changes were kind of random anyway. They hit the big 3 as far as hollidays go every year (new years, thanksgiving, christmas/haunakah/kwanzaa ;) ) but then after that, it seems that they just pick random ones to change the logo for. I mean, if they really wanted to, I'm sure they could find a reason to change their logo every damn day, but then it would just get old.

OklahomaTuba
5/29/2006, 11:54 PM
I was Just surprised (a bit) they have never dedicated a logo to Memorial Day. I actually like the little logos they do, informing me of important days and such.

Its good to know that Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle day get a slot though.

I just hope they havn't turned into the San Francisco of the net.

It would be absolutly pathetic if they snubbed the holiday because they have issues with the very people that gave them the freedom to become rich on a technology developed by the armed forces to begin with.

Scott D
5/29/2006, 11:55 PM
wait a minute...because once in seven years Sir Arthur Conan Doyle got a spot he gets a regular spot?

*ring, ring* 'Hi Tuba, this is reality calling....you can come back to us now.'

OklahomaTuba
5/30/2006, 12:01 AM
wait a minute...because once in seven years Sir Arthur Conan Doyle got a spot he gets a regular spot?

*ring, ring* 'Hi Tuba, this is reality calling....you can come back to us now.'

Ok, not so much Sir Arthur Conan Doyle day, but you get the point. ;)

Scott D
5/30/2006, 12:02 AM
I knew I shoulda quoted that post.. ;)

Who knows, maybe when it's like the official 100th memorial day they'll google it up.

OCUDad
5/30/2006, 12:17 AM
This is in no way intended to start another firestorm, but... they haven't ever recognized Labor Day or Presidents' Day, either. What does that mean? Looks to me like they do "the big ones" -- Christmas, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Halloween, New Year's, and Easter -- and then a slew of "one-off" events (like Doyle's birthday). I wonder if they consider Memorial Day, Labor Day, Presidents' Day, Martin Luther King day, etc. "second-rank" holidays? Just a thought, not an editorial opinion.

Okla-homey
5/30/2006, 04:48 AM
yawn.....weakest troll ever

yep, and besides, its Cuarto de Julio.

soonerbub
5/30/2006, 05:51 AM

It would be absolutly pathetic if they snubbed the holiday because they have issues with the very people that gave them the freedom to become rich on a technology developed by the armed forces to begin with.

The fact that they allow chicom censorship tells you where their political leanings are.

As for the "very people that gave them the freedom" rabble do you believe the American people have the power to "give" freedom to some and take it from others? Remember the Declaration of Independence--self-evident truths and all that?

This is why I loathe neo-con ideology because it is totally wrapped in hypocrisy (kind of like "don't be evil" from the google boys).

Memorial Day is just that--a day to honor our soldiers. That goes for "righteous righties" to commy lefties IMO.

Come on everyone let's crank out 5 more pages:eddie:

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 06:07 AM
The fact that they allow chicom censorship tells you where their political leanings are.

As for the "very people that gave them the freedom" rabble do you believe the American people have the power to "give" freedom to some and take it from others? Remember the Declaration of Independence--self-evident truths and all that?

This is why I loathe neo-con ideology because it is totally wrapped in hypocrisy (kind of like "don't be evil" from the google boys).

Memorial Day is just that--a day to honor our soldiers. That goes for "righteous righties" to commy lefties IMO.

Come on everyone let's crank out 5 more pages:eddie:

i love how loosely the neo-con label gets tossed around these days, its such an easy accusation to make

and too many confuse Veterans Day with Memorial Day.....

Sooner in Tampa
5/30/2006, 06:13 AM
i love how loosely the neo-con label gets tossed around these days, its such an easy accusation to make

and too many confuse Veterans Day with Memorial Day.....JK...good observation, if one has a leaning that indicates the right at all, they are automatically a "neo-con"

And it is incredible that Tuba made a simple observation...not commentary, just an observation and now we have 5 pages of "conspiracy" chatter :rolleyes: Man, I can't wait for the next presidential election season---this place is gonna RAWK!!!

bri
5/30/2006, 06:24 AM
Yeah, almost as easily as the "lib" label gets tossed around.

OH MY GOD, WE'RE ALL THE SAME...JUST OPPOSITES!!! ;)

bri
5/30/2006, 06:38 AM
And it is incredible that Tuba made a simple observation...not commentary, just an observation and now we have 5 pages of "conspiracy" chatter :rolleyes:

http://www.scarygoround.com/images/shop-google.png

:D

Hatfield
5/30/2006, 08:51 AM
you are all missing the point.

google has a christmas logo therefore, according to tuba definition it is impossible for google to be run in fact by libz.

carry on my wayward soooonnnnnnn

Mjcpr
5/30/2006, 08:59 AM
Usually, I'm not one to jump on this kind of thread, but Google screwed the pooch on this one, IMO. It's pretty insulting, actually. Here is an email someone received from Google when asking about the lack of a Memorial Day logo on their website.

Thank you for your note. We're sorry that we missed a holiday that's
special to you and would like to explain to you why we didn't post one
for
Veteran's Day this year. As an international company, we'd like our
logos
to reflect the diverse, global nature of our user base. The decision
whether to display a special logo for a holiday doesn't reflect any
judgment on our part about the holiday itself.

Furthermore, Google's special logos tend to be lighthearted in nature.
If
we were to commemorate Veteran's Day, we'd want to express reverence,
rather than mirth. This would be a particularly challenging design. We
would not want to, in any way, create a graphic that could be
interpreted
as disrespectful. In light of the mail we've received about this, we're
actively considering designs we could display on this day next year. We
welcome any suggestions you may have.

Regards,
The Google Team

Some Google messages/posts on the subject. (http://groups.google.com/group/google.public.support.general/browse_thread/thread/9cfc7bd626c68c8b/2c2866d1606b6991?q=Memorial+Day&rnum=2#2c2866d1606b6991)

Hatfield
5/30/2006, 09:02 AM
not to nitpick but that looks like a response to a request for vets day not memorial day. (notwithstanding that I understand the point you are trying to make)

Mjcpr
5/30/2006, 09:04 AM
not to nitpick but that looks like a response to a request for vets day not memorial day. (notwithstanding that I understand the point you are trying to make)

Dang....it sure is, I didn't even notice that. :O

I just did a search for 'Memorial Day' and that came up. Stupid brain!!

TUSooner
5/30/2006, 09:12 AM
And sometimes it's okay to freak out over every little percieved slight and affront to 'Merica, real or not, and try and start sh*t as a hobby because it's easier than reading a book. :D
I'd agree, but I gotta watch myself or my head will 'splode. :D

Hatfield
5/30/2006, 09:19 AM
I'd agree, but I gotta touch myself or my head will 'splode. :D

that kind of talk leads to baneings. fwiw

BeetDigger
5/30/2006, 09:27 AM
I think that Google may come to regret that they did anything for any of the holidays. I see a day in the near future where the Jews are upset for not having a logo for any of their high holidays. Then there will be Chinease New Year and other days of importance for the Hindus, the Muslims, .... There will be a revolving logo generator with a new logo each day of the year.

OklahomaTuba
5/30/2006, 10:56 AM
And it is incredible that Tuba made a simple observation...not commentary, just an observation and now we have 5 pages of "conspiracy" chatter :rolleyes:
It is rather amusing I think. ;)

OklahomaTuba
5/30/2006, 11:09 AM
Google makes no attempt to hide their political leanings as being far left.

The founders are very smart people who make a damn good product and have a great company, and no one can say otherwise. Google maps is freaking amazing.

However, just like most people who perscribe to the far left ideology, they can't help but be hypocritical either. It is like they live in a lie.

They say they are environmentalists, yet the founders buy a 737 for personal travel?

They say they are for being open minded yet activly support China abuse the human rights of their people by conspiring with them to limit access to information and by logging searches and such for the commies. And it was Either Google or Yahoo that helped turn in Chinese bloggers to the thought crimes police in China for blogging about the unthinkable...Chinese democracy!

Of course, none of that seems to matter when their own government demands that Google turn over its records in the US to track child sex preditors or terror suspects.

Freedom of speech = bad, yet trolling the net for kiddie sex and terrorism = OK!

It is liberal hypocracy at its finest.

achiro
5/30/2006, 11:25 AM
What does that mean? Looks to me like they do "the big ones" -- Christmas, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Halloween, New Year's, and Easter --
IU don't see any for Christmas and only eggs for Easter(two of those) and tose were early but not the last few years.
Just sayin. Carry on, this is a fun thread.:D

Scott D
5/30/2006, 11:33 AM
I think that Google may come to regret that they did anything for any of the holidays. I see a day in the near future where the Jews are upset for not having a logo for any of their high holidays. Then there will be Chinease New Year and other days of importance for the Hindus, the Muslims, .... There will be a revolving logo generator with a new logo each day of the year.

except according to seven years of various holiday logos they've found a way to honor most of them.

Scott D
5/30/2006, 11:34 AM
It is rather amusing I think. ;)

which is why I know you were responsible for the 'beer shortage' in Edmonton last week :D

5/30/2006, 11:44 AM
I was Just surprised (a bit) they have never dedicated a logo to Memorial Day.

It would be absolutly pathetic if they snubbed the holiday because they have issues with the very people that gave them the freedom to become rich on a technology developed by the armed forces to begin with.Gee, YA THINK? It might be as simple as another anti-Bush protest. Maybe they are just anti-war, any war, for whatever reason?

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 11:46 AM
you can be anti-war and still pay respects to those who died

Sooner in Tampa
5/30/2006, 11:51 AM
you can be anti-war and still pay respects to those who diedAMEN...novel idea, paying respects to folks who just do what they are told.
Most of them didn't CHOOSE to be in a war.

Ike
5/30/2006, 11:52 AM
Google makes no attempt to hide their political leanings as being far left.

The founders are very smart people who make a damn good product and have a great company, and no one can say otherwise. Google maps is freaking amazing.

However, just like most people who perscribe to the far left ideology, they can't help but be hypocritical either. It is like they live in a lie.

They say they are environmentalists, yet the founders buy a 737 for personal travel?

They say they are for being open minded yet activly support China abuse the human rights of their people by conspiring with them to limit access to information and by logging searches and such for the commies. And it was Either Google or Yahoo that helped turn in Chinese bloggers to the thought crimes police in China for blogging about the unthinkable...Chinese democracy!

Of course, none of that seems to matter when their own government demands that Google turn over its records in the US to track child sex preditors or terror suspects.

Freedom of speech = bad, yet trolling the net for kiddie sex and terrorism = OK!

It is liberal hypocracy at its finest.

it was yahoo that turned in the bloggers, not google. In fact, I don't think googles blog services are offered in china because of the chineese govts demand that they turn over the identity of any blogger the govt wants to keep track of. I could be wrong, but thats my understanding.
google just censors their searches over there, but also alerts the user that their search results have been censored. They do this because it was apparently a dealbreaker for the chineese to let them do business there, and as a now publicly traded company, the founders would probably be relieved of their duties by the shareholders if they did not set up shop in china. sometimes your hands are tied.

And they would have turned over their data to the US govt if the law required them to do so. From what I understand, the government really just wanted google to do their research for them. ****, for what they claimed they wanted to know, they could have written a simple script that would have told spit out the answers they wanted well within the time it took for the request to go to court. And from what I understand, the govt didnt claim to want to go after terrorists or kiddie porn people, but was instead trying to use the information in defense of CIPA or some similar law. not quite the same as actively using it to go after kiddie-porners. Why should they turn that information over when the gov't can easily get what they are after with a simple script?

personally, I don't give a damn what their views are, but when trying to call them hypocrites, please at least try to do so in an accurate manner...because that wasn't.

bri
5/30/2006, 11:54 AM
Why should they turn that information over when the gov't can easily get what they are after with a simple script?

BECAUSE THEY HATE AMERICA AND WANT THE CHILD-MOLESTING TERRORISTS TO WIN!!!!! :mad:

BeetDigger
5/30/2006, 11:56 AM
except according to seven years of various holiday logos they've found a way to honor most of them.

Gotcha. Until this thread, I had no idea that they did this. I was just commenting on the fact that sometimes a good idea that has all the right intensions can turn out to be a bad idea in reality.

5/30/2006, 12:00 PM
you can be anti-war and still pay respects to those who diedSure you can, but that might leave their intentions of protest unclear.

Scott D
5/30/2006, 12:00 PM
Gee, YA THINK? It might be as simple as another anti-Bush protest. Maybe they are just anti-war, any war, for whatever reason?

there ya go jk..the conspiracy theorist was bound to post eventually ;)

bri
5/30/2006, 12:03 PM
Sure you can, but that might leave our assumed intentions of protest unclear.

Fixed it for ya, guy.

5/30/2006, 12:12 PM
Fixed it for ya, guy.Yes, my comments certainly needed to be corrected. Thanks, pard.

bri
5/30/2006, 12:21 PM
Don't mention it. Wouldn't want everyone to get all crazygonuts and run with what they think is a fact, when it's actually just a supposition.

5/30/2006, 12:36 PM
Don't mention it. Wouldn't want everyone to get all crazygonuts and run with what they think is a fact, when it's actually just a supposition.We all will decide on the intentions of Google for ourselves, no? I believe that, anyway.

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 12:39 PM
whatever you decide, remember its just one single schmoe at google, some programmer that decides....so blame him

bri
5/30/2006, 12:45 PM
We all will decide on the intentions of Google for ourselves, no? I believe that, anyway.

Hey, knock yourself out, skippy.

The way I see it, it makes it easier to call you guys "wild-eyed kooks" if you're, you know, wild-eyed and kooky. :D

Dio
5/30/2006, 12:48 PM
And it was Either Google or Yahoo that helped turn in Chinese bloggers...for blogging about the unthinkable...Chinese Democracy!

WHY DO CHINESE BLOGGERS HATE AXL?

bri
5/30/2006, 12:57 PM
WHY DO CHINESE BLOGGERS HATE AXL?

The same reason the rest of us do? 'Cause he's a batsh*t crazy tool?

1stTimeCaller
5/30/2006, 01:02 PM
I had a burrito off of the truck for lunch. It was tasty.

Sooner in Tampa
5/30/2006, 01:02 PM
WHY DO CHINESE BLOGGERS HATE AXL?Because he ruined GNR!:mad:

Dio
5/30/2006, 01:10 PM
The same reason the rest of us do? 'Cause he's a batsh*t crazy tool?

I would have said "****y little bitch", but that works too.

bri
5/30/2006, 01:57 PM
The judges would have also accepted "Because Tommy Hilfiger can now sell him for cigarettes and soap." :D

imjebus
5/30/2006, 02:17 PM
you can be anti-war and still pay respects to those who died

I am actually for the war but against the troops. :D

NormanPride
5/30/2006, 02:21 PM
This thread gets a big "who ****ing cares" from me. Google is a company out there for profit, period, and if the shareholders had any inkling that the people in charge were doing stupid stuff like that, they'd blow a gasket. Google isn't about to insult anyone, for any reason, ESPECIALLY not a large group like the military and its supporters.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/30/2006, 03:43 PM
I was Just surprised (a bit) they have never dedicated a logo to Memorial Day. I actually like the little logos they do, informing me of important days and such.

Its good to know that Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle day get a slot though.

It would be absolutly pathetic if they snubbed the holiday because they have issues with the very people that gave them the freedom to become rich on a technology developed by the armed forces to begin with.I don't know that it was an intentional slight. Maybe they couldn't come up with anything cutesy enough.

Scott D
5/30/2006, 03:45 PM
I think what Pat posted from Google in regards to Veterans Day is far more telling about Memorial Day...there isn't exactly a 'light' way to go about it. I think we'd all agree that it'd have been pretty pathetic to turn the Google logo into water slides and barbeque grills.

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 03:58 PM
I think what Pat posted from Google in regards to Veterans Day is far more telling about Memorial Day...there isn't exactly a 'light' way to go about it. I think we'd all agree that it'd have been pretty pathetic to turn the Google logo into water slides and barbeque grills.

i'll bet a simple headstone with dog tags hanging over it would have been fairly simple

but your point is well taken, its supposed to be about the sacrifice, not the official start of summer season

Mjcpr
5/30/2006, 04:03 PM
I would've suggested something like that famous photo (at Iwo Jima?) where the soldiers are raising the flagpole. The L in Google could be the flagpole with a flag atop it....easier said than dome I'm sure. But Google has clever folks, most of their logos are pretty clever and in good taste....I think they could've come up with something nice.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/30/2006, 04:13 PM
I would've suggested something like that famous photo (at Iwo Jima?) where the soldiers are raising the flagpole. The L in Google could be the flagpole with a flag atop it....easier said than dome I'm sure. But Google has clever folks, most of their logos are pretty clever and in good taste....I think they could've come up with something nice.

Aren't you late for a flower arranging class?

Cake decorating, perhaps?

:mack:

sooneron
5/30/2006, 04:50 PM
but your point is well taken, its supposed to be about the sacrifice, not the official start of summer season
Feels like summer up here today!:texan:

Mjcpr
5/30/2006, 05:35 PM
Aren't you late for a flower arranging class?

Cake decorating, perhaps?

:mack:

C'mere and blow out the candle.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/30/2006, 05:37 PM
C'mere and blow out the candle.

Just funnin', Pat.

You had some very nice, sweet and sensitive ideas.

I was being crass and mean-spirited and I apologize.

And you succ for using one of those trick candles....

Mjcpr
5/30/2006, 05:40 PM
Just funnin', Pat.

You had some very nice, sweet and sensitive ideas.

I was being crass and mean-spirited and I apologize.

And you succ for using one of those trick candles....

Now I feel bad for actually thinking of a weenis reference when I posted that.

OklahomaTuba
5/30/2006, 05:41 PM
Well, almost 5 pages.

5/30/2006, 06:27 PM
Well, almost 5 pages.And the moral of the story is?.....?

bri
5/30/2006, 06:41 PM
We're incredibly bored?

Sooner in Tampa
5/31/2006, 06:20 AM
We're incredibly bored?Isn't that the basis for all of the time we spend here in the first place? :)

bri
5/31/2006, 06:39 AM
No, that's just being regular bored. It's once we get incredibly bored that we start debating Google's shadowy plan to overthrow 'Merica. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/31/2006, 07:02 AM
No, that's just being regular bored. It's once we get incredibly bored that we start debating Google's shadowy plan to overthrow 'Merica. ;)Just you wait. Next they are planning images to recognize Fidel Castro's birthday.

Sooner in Tampa
5/31/2006, 07:05 AM
No, that's just being regular bored. It's once we get incredibly bored that we start debating Google's shadowy plan to overthrow 'Merica. ;)Soooooooooooooo, what level of boredom have we achieved when we start discussing Dean's pink hat?

bri
5/31/2006, 08:29 AM
Soooooooooooooo, what level of boredom have we achieved when we start discussing Dean's pink hat?

LUDICROUS boredom! :D

1stTimeCaller
5/31/2006, 08:46 AM
:dean:

OklahomaTuba
5/31/2006, 09:04 AM
it was yahoo that turned in the bloggers, not google.
Fair enough, I couldn't remember which it was. Props to Yahoo for being such an upstanding company then.

And they would have turned over their data to the US govt if the law required them to do so. From what I understand, the government really just wanted google to do their research for them. ****, for what they claimed they wanted to know, they could have written a simple script that would have told spit out the answers they wanted well within the time it took for the request to go to court. And from what I understand, the govt didnt claim to want to go after terrorists or kiddie porn people, but was instead trying to use the information in defense of CIPA or some similar law. not quite the same as actively using it to go after kiddie-porners. Why should they turn that information over when the gov't can easily get what they are after with a simple script?
Well, the facts differ from your analysis of the situation.

The US government is seeking to defend the 1998 Child Online Protection Act, which has been blocked by the Supreme Court because of legal challenges over how it is enforced.

Google's refusal to comply prompted US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to ask a federal judge in the state of California on Wednesday for an order to hand over the records.

But Google's lawyers said it would fight the order.

"Google is not a party to this lawsuit and their demand for information overreaches," associate general counsel Nicole Wong said in a written statement.

"We had lengthy discussions with them to try to resolve this, but were not able to, and we intend to resist their motion vigorously."

Yet...

One of its search rivals, Yahoo, said it had already complied with a similar government subpoena "on a limited basis and did not provide any personally identifiable information".

And Microsoft said in a statement that it "works closely with law enforcement officials worldwide to assist them when requested".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4630694.stm

personally, I don't give a damn what their views are, but when trying to call them hypocrites, please at least try to do so in an accurate manner...because that wasn't.

I believe the hypocrite tag is more than accurate at this point with the examples given, considering the attitude on the environment (despite needing a private commerical airliner to jet around the globe in),
not cooperating with the Us government when the others didn't seem to have an issue with it, and of course there is the great firewall of China they are helping to build, despite their own companies "Philosophy"...

Ten things Google has found to be true
1. Focus on the user and all else will follow.
2. It's best to do one thing really, really well.
3. Fast is better than slow.
4. Democracy on the web works.(Disregard if reading this from China Please)
5. You don't need to be at your desk to need an answer.
6. You can make money without doing evil. (Ditto)
7. There's always more information out there. (except when we restrict it!)
8. The need for information crosses all borders.(except when your communist masters pay us enough)
9. You can be serious without a suit.
10. Great just isn't good enough.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/corporate/tenthings.html

1stTimeCaller
5/31/2006, 09:09 AM
The US government is seeking to defend the 1998 Child Online Protection Act, which has been blocked by the Supreme Court because of legal challenges over how it is enforced.
Google's refusal to comply prompted US Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to ask a federal judge in the state of California on Wednesday for an order to hand over the records.

"Google is not a party to this lawsuit and their demand for information overreaches," associate general counsel Nicole Wong said in a written statement.

"We had lengthy discussions with them to try to resolve this, but were not able to, and we intend to resist their motion vigorously."

Do you really not comprehend what you read or are you just being funny?

sooneron
5/31/2006, 09:11 AM
This thread is still somewhat alive?

yeesh!

OklahomaTuba
5/31/2006, 09:13 AM
Do you really not comprehend what you read or are you just being funny?

Its obvious YOU are the one with the comprehension issues.

This was not about enforcing the law, rather working with the feds to determine if the criteria was correct before a court so that the law COULD be enforced once again.

Its really not that hard man.

1stTimeCaller
5/31/2006, 09:16 AM
how many times you gonna edit that post?

OklahomaTuba
5/31/2006, 09:21 AM
Just once.

Wanted to "water it down" fur ya. ;)

Hatfield
5/31/2006, 09:37 AM
Well, the facts differ from your analysis of the situation.

Quote:

Yet...

Quote:
One of its search rivals, Yahoo, said it had already complied with a similar government subpoena "on a limited basis and did not provide any personally identifiable information".

And Microsoft said in a statement that it "works closely with law enforcement officials worldwide to assist them when requested".

the way you are trying to compare these statements as proof is not honest. but i am sure you knew that.