PDA

View Full Version : So Bonds hits number 715

tulsaoilerfan
5/28/2006, 10:26 PM
Does anyone really care? Barry is probably the most widely hated player in team sports in a very long time

jk the sooner fan
5/28/2006, 10:55 PM
i was in arlington tonite for the rangers game, they showed it on the jumbo tron, the entire place booed

loved it

colleyvillesooner
5/28/2006, 11:12 PM
That's awesome.

Snrfn4ever08
5/29/2006, 11:25 AM
i hate barry bonds with a passion. i would love nothing more than for the MLB to find some way to negate some of his home runs. i, personally, was hoping that by some act of god, he would be stuck at 714 forever. unfortunately, that didn't happen

walkoffsooner
5/29/2006, 06:34 PM
I heard the other day he is only big time star with no knickname.No one ever thought enough of him to give him one.

IronHorseSooner
5/29/2006, 06:57 PM
Sadly, even though he cheated, he will get in the Hall.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 07:01 PM
i'm sure Raffy Palmeiro hopes Bonds gets voted into the Hall....once that door is opened, its open for all of them to waltz right on in

Scott D
5/29/2006, 09:00 PM
i'm sure Raffy Palmeiro hopes McGwire gets voted into the Hall....once that door is opened, its open for all of them to waltz right on in

fixed. ;)

IronHorseSooner
5/29/2006, 09:04 PM
Who is more hated- Bonds or Kobe? They can both go take a long walk off a short plank!

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 09:40 PM
fixed. ;)

i think its going to be a hard sell not first balloting mcgwire, he got out of the game at the right time.....he kept his mouth shut, didnt point any fingers

Bonds has stayed thru the heat of the entire scandal and thumbed his nose at it....he'll be in the hall but i wouldnt be a bit surprised to see the writers send him a message by not first balloting him

Scott D
5/29/2006, 09:46 PM
i think its going to be a hard sell not first balloting mcgwire, he got out of the game at the right time.....he kept his mouth shut, didnt point any fingers

Bonds has stayed thru the heat of the entire scandal and thumbed his nose at it....he'll be in the hall but i wouldnt be a bit surprised to see the writers send him a message by not first balloting him

I would have agreed with the first part...at least until the congressional hearing and the continual "I'm not here to talk about the past, I'm here to talk about the future" line that he regurgitated over and over and quite honestly could have been held in contempt for using over and over. He created his own cloud over his own head...it'll probably be a close vote if he gets in first ballot now.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:10 PM
hmm, well i think of all those who appeared before congress.......hindsight would show that he came out smelling better than the rest

immediately after it was different, immediately after he looked bad.....but Palmeiro changed all that....he made McGwire look like a genius in the way he played.....just my opinion, but it will be interesting to see how the writers treat him and all the others

Scott D
5/29/2006, 10:29 PM
I danno, I think Schilling probably came out smelling better than everyone else..and to a lesser degree Frank Thomas although he wasn't actually there in person.

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:31 PM
ahhh, schilling.......interesting name because of all the recent bannings for use, more than half have been pitchers (unless i've missed some recently)

i always thought clemens was on the juice...the longball hitters took the brunt of the storm on this and the pitchers for the most part went unscathed

Scott D
5/29/2006, 10:34 PM
at least until they actually began suspending players...I think half of the juicing suspensions have been pitchers.

colleyvillesooner
5/29/2006, 10:48 PM
I hope McGwire doesn't get in first ballot. He was sooooo smug in the congress thing. Oh and he looks like he's lost 75 lbs. But everyone loses weight when they stop playing a professional sport. Oh, wait...

jk the sooner fan
5/29/2006, 10:53 PM
mcgwire admitted to having used creatin.....which wasnt illegal at the time

he left the game as quietly as he could.....i doubt he makes a first ballot, but i bet its closer than you'd think

Scott D
5/29/2006, 11:19 PM
actually, McGwire had Androtestosterone in his locker regularly during the 70 home run season. An item that was deemed illegal not long after his 70 home runs.

It was Griffey who was the admitted Creatine user.

Scott D
5/29/2006, 11:38 PM
From an article in 2000 on a sports medicine site.

President Clinton’s top drug policy adviser said Andro, the muscle-building supplement that Mark McGwire made famous, should be classified as a steroid within a few months.

"I’VE GOT TO do something about andro", Barry McCaffrey said in a speech to the Citizenship Through Sports Alliance. "I’ve got to get valid testing completed, and I bet that’s the way it comes out: that andro is a steroid". Androstenedione, commonly called andro, is an unregulated food additive. Sales soared in 1998, the year McGwire hit a record 70 home runs for the St. Louis Cardinals, after it was reported that the first baseman used it. McGwire stopped using it last year.

McCaffrey said andro already meets two of three tests used by government laboratories to determine whether a substance is a steroid. He suspects it will meets the third, as well.

If androstenedione does meet the third requirement, it would be declared a steroid, illegal to use without a legitimate medical reason. Major League Baseball did not ban andro despite a study it financed that found its use could be hazardous. The NBA is considering a ban now. It already is banned by the International Olympic Committee, the NCAA, the NFL and the men’s and women’s tennis tours.

"We’ve regularly met with (baseball officials) on a range of subjects, including this", McCaffrey spokesman Robert Weiner said. "They’re just waiting for the feds. They don’t want to take the initiative on their own". Certainly, other sports have taken an initiative.

Androstenedione supplements are made of a naturally occurring steroid hormone. The body metabolizes andro into testosterone, which is considered a steroid. When supplements of testosterone are taken in high doses, they are known to have an anabolic effect increasing muscle size and strength. McCaffrey’s comments came after he gave the keynote address at a conference on performance-enhancing drug use among athletes, sponsored by the Citizenship Through Sports Alliance. The alliance comprises major amateur and professional sports leagues, including the U.S. Olympic Committee and the National Football League.

mrowl
5/30/2006, 05:55 AM
McGwire was a first ballot until that hearing, now, he may not even make it in.

And there is no way that Bonds gets in, ever. Put the roids aside, he has treated the media like crap for 10 years, they will think of that first.

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 06:08 AM
you're on crack if you think Bonds never gets in......unless the investigation results in something earth shattering

mrowl
5/30/2006, 06:47 AM
you're on crack if you think Bonds never gets in......unless the investigation results in something earth shattering

I think the book did enough.

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 07:43 AM
the problem is that baseball never took care of this problem when they should have.....between a weak commissioner and a very strong players union, it was overlooked

unless they are able to prove without a doubt that he cheated (even though most reasonable folks know he did), they'll put him in the hall

tulsaoilerfan
5/30/2006, 09:44 AM
Mark McGwire=Dave Kingman, but only with more homers; IMO, he is not a hall of famer.

john

Scott D
5/30/2006, 11:07 AM

I agree with jk....it'd take something that would result in a personal ban from baseball to keep Bonds out....not including the home run issue over the past 8 years, he was a pretty much a first ballot hall of famer before he 'cheated'.

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 11:09 AM
and once the door is open for bonds, its open for the rest of them with the appropriate numbers

and there is the problem that baseball has created

Scott D
5/30/2006, 11:39 AM
see, I still think McGwire getting in opens that door..and since he's eligible in a year or two (I think) that's when we'll see how the writers feel.

Scott D
5/30/2006, 11:46 AM
In fact...here's a partial list of eligibility.

Year *Players eligible for the first time for BBWAA election
2007: Harold Baines, Derek Bell, Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Jeff Brantley, Jay Buhner, Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Eric Davis, Tony Fernandez, Tony Gwynn, Darryl Hamilton, Pete Harnisch, Charlie Hayes, Glenallen Hill, Ken Hill, Stan Javier, Wally Joyner, Ramon Martinez, Mark McGwire, Paul O’Neill, Gregg Olson, Cal Ripken Jr., Bret Saberhagen, Jeff Shaw, Kevin Tapani, Devon White, Bobby Witt

2008: Shawon Dunston, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Mike Morgan, Tim Raines, Randy Velarde

2009: Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Dean Palmer, Dan Plesac, Matt Williams

2010: Andres Galarraga, Edgar Martinez, Robin Ventura

all known cheaters bolded.

jk the sooner fan
5/30/2006, 11:48 AM
ok so Ripken Jr and Gwynn make it that year.....thats not a bad class

McGwire wont be in it

Scott D
5/30/2006, 12:02 PM
I definitely don't envy the 2007 class.

Ripken, Gwynn, and Saberhagan would be my front runners.