PDA

View Full Version : Who will the MVP be next year?

IronHorseSooner
5/28/2006, 03:28 PM
The obvious choice is Neal. When he is on, he's one of, if not the best, deep shooter in America. However, I am going with Griff. He's can be another Eduardo. He can do everything you need in the low post, or even the high post. He can shoot the three if needed.

NormanPride
5/30/2006, 09:09 AM
Unless a post presence steps up, Neal will never get an open shot. AJ needs to learn how to score, too.

King Crimson
5/30/2006, 09:29 AM
i'd really LIKE the MVP to be Nate Carter.

NormanPride
5/30/2006, 01:34 PM
If we have a breakout season from a post player, we should be fine. Longar^2 can at least rebound, and who knows, maybe even score 5-10 a night. If Griffin learns to put up 15+ we'll be pretty good.

soonerspiff
5/30/2006, 04:32 PM
I'd love Nate Carter to be the player that we all thought he could/would be last year. I'm just not sure he can put it all together. He's got some good moves inside, but he's sort of undersized for the Big XII. Obviously, PJ Tucker was an exception due to his pure athleticism.

He'll also need to develop a better outside shot, along with more confidence in his overall offensive game. Last year I felt he was too apprehensive at times to shoot or make something happen. Maybe with the lack of other options he'll be more ready to step up.

Neal is our best player, no doubt about it. He's our biggest offensive threat obviously, but people don't talk about him as a defender enough. He busts his *** every play, both sides of the ball. As a Juco-Junior he was one of the leaders on the team, so hopefully he'll provide some much needed senior leadership, something we lacked all of last year.

Griffin is going to be good, L2 is a question mark.

King Crimson
5/30/2006, 05:37 PM
i think Carter and T. Griffin can be effective attacking the basket from the high post or the wing...and getting some mismatches...moreso than the stagnant Bookout/Taj combo anchoring the low post games. we won't get the post production but it seemed to shut down all the other players on O except Everett. and Kevin in the high post on O and especially D i never understood. why was Book EVER guarding Bogut in the high post or Pittsnogle--though Gansey and WVU's back door game beat us like a drum more than Pittsnogle did.

i was not impressed with Carter's ball handling on the perimeter (the CU game comes to mind) but i think if he can score 13-17 ppg that's a big lift for us.

IronHorseSooner
5/30/2006, 05:44 PM
The question about Carter is how much of his performance last year was due to him, or was is due to KS pulling the reins in on him? Again, I believe that Griffin could be an All Big XII performer by the time he leaves campus. He has the physicality to mix it up inside, but he also has nice touch from outside. You right though, AJ needs to learn to score more. He has great athleticism, let's hope he's fully recovered from the ankle problems. He needs to improve his shooting from deep. His form looks anemic!

birddog
6/1/2006, 10:38 AM
nate, he'll be the team leader next year, along with neal and be more creative in the paint.

IronHorseSooner
6/1/2006, 01:17 PM
It'll be interesting to see what sort of line-up Coach Capel will utilize. He could go with a small one like this:

1: AJ (6'3")
2: Neal (6'3")
3. Godbold (6'5")
4: Nate (6'6")
5: Griff (6'7")

That's a team that will try to utilize more iso and drive plays. Those are also Coach Capel's best 5 defenders, as well. If the opposing team doesn't have a dominating center (and in the Big XII next year, there won't be a good number of them, just a lot 6'7" to 6'9" guys), then this line-up would work.

The Consumate Showman
6/1/2006, 10:09 PM
MVP - Griffin, only because teams will be ALL over Neal and he'll have to dump the ball more often; but Neal will be the most IMPORTANT player because if we lose him, we lose that threat of a great shooter in the corner....

MojoRisen
6/2/2006, 10:26 PM
1. Tennell
2. Bradford
3. Murray

All can play D1 B-Ball I would be all for them trying out for the team. See if they can hack it in the class room- these guys really don't have to bulk up much-

IronHorseSooner
6/3/2006, 09:27 PM
1. Tennell
2. Bradford
3. Murray

I agree. Heck lOSUr did the same thing with McQuarters and Mayes when they were depleated. Heck, we could put Braxton and Robinson out there as there. They would put a new meaning to "Power" Forwards.

badger
6/4/2006, 08:24 PM
I nominate Courtney Paris. What, do you want to tell her that you don't want to nominate her? Go ahead- tell her she doesn't deserve to be MVP.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/01-06/0121paris.jpg
go ahead.

King Crimson
6/4/2006, 10:34 PM
nice fake eyebrow.

chbrew09
6/8/2006, 03:34 AM
i talked to kellen...he said tony crocker was the best lock down defender on the team

LINDSAYB1312
6/9/2006, 01:19 PM
crocker and maze are both excellent defenders.... and maze excellent handling ball and crock can knock down the os shot

IronHorseSooner
6/9/2006, 01:49 PM
crock can knock down the os shot

That would be great...I have thought that if Maze and Crocker were to start then the starting line-up would be as follows:

1: Maze
2: Neal
3: Crocker
4: Carter
5: Griffin

If Crocker and Maze are that good of lock-down defenders, then they could replace AJ and Godbold, who aren't as good of outside shooters. There could be as many as 4 outside threats on the floor at one time, and they all can defend. With multiple outside threats, teams couldn't hone in on Neal as much.

LINDSAYB1312
6/9/2006, 01:56 PM
crocker and maze both hit threes... and maze can find anybody open, as long as doesn't get too fancy (as long as he passes test this weekend to get qualified)