PDA

View Full Version : Over/Under for Capel's first season....

The Consumate Showman
5/28/2006, 12:38 PM
20 wins......:confused: I'm having a hard time with this question....Thoughts??

King Crimson
5/28/2006, 02:37 PM

oumartin
5/28/2006, 02:48 PM
nope, don't see it.
not his fault though.
he'll be a little short handed in the first year or two.
this board is dead

william_brasky
5/28/2006, 02:53 PM
Is next season's schedule out yet?

IronHorseSooner
5/28/2006, 03:24 PM
I say 18 and an NIT bid. For this team, that would be great. They are still better than about half of the Big XII. There is enough talent on this team to get to about 18. I would say 9 non-conf. wins, and about 9 conf. wins. They would be a bubble team. Anything better than that ought to warrant him national consideration for Coach of the Year....As far as schedule, I have no clue. I would bet that they would try to make it as soft as possible in the non-conf. to get this team some confidence and be cohesive into a system. I could see this team being a lot like A&M. Scrappy, tough D and enough offense to get them some good wins. Guys like Neal, Carter, and Griffin are double-digit per game guys. They need development at the point (with AJ) and play guys like Clark and L2 at the post.

The Consumate Showman
5/29/2006, 03:07 PM
I could see this team being a lot like A&M. Scrappy, tough D and enough offense to get them some good wins.

I would definetly take a team like Gillespie put together late in the year.....

King Crimson
5/29/2006, 03:12 PM
we've got no Acie Law or Joseph Jones. i don't see the comparison. i'd put conference wins at about 7.5 over/under.

i like the future and the Capel hire more every day....but how many guys do we have who can score the rock *this* year?

william_brasky
5/29/2006, 04:20 PM
something that may figure into the equation is that we're supposedly playing in the Maui Invitational with the following squads:

Chaminade, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Memphis, Purdue, and UCLA

King Crimson
5/29/2006, 04:53 PM
i ain't skeered: Memphis is the probably the best team in that group even with Carney leaving. UCLA loses Farmar and Affalo. Kentucky loses Rondo--and barely made the NCAA last year. we're about on the same level as Purdue and GT. when was the last time DePaul was good?

Newbomb Turk
5/29/2006, 04:53 PM
I'd be shocked with 20 wins.

I think somewhere around 16.

oumartin
5/29/2006, 04:54 PM
oh gawd, the voice of reason just waltzed in ;)

william_brasky
5/29/2006, 04:56 PM
i ain't skeered: Memphis is the probably the best team in that group even with Carney leaving. UCLA loses Farmar and Affalo. Kentucky loses Rondo--and barely made the NCAA last year. we're about on the same level as Purdue and GT. when was the last time DePaul was good?

2 W's in that tourney would be nice.

Sooner95
5/29/2006, 05:26 PM
Yea, gonna go with the 16-17 wins would be a successful season based on the team they will put on the court next yr. Going to take Capel a good 2 yrs to get this thing going, hopefully he gets the time.

oumartin
5/29/2006, 05:28 PM
i say we fire him now!

Newbomb Turk
5/29/2006, 07:09 PM
run his butt out too martin! :kelvin:

OKC-SLC
5/29/2006, 07:12 PM
i like the future and the Capel hire more every day....but how many guys do we have who can score the rock *this* year?
exactly.

Sooner24
5/29/2006, 08:38 PM
I hate to say this, but depending on our schedule, I will go with 15 wins.

IronHorseSooner
5/29/2006, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson

The problem is that we don't know. We could've had some really good scorers last year, but KS would be yelling from the sideline "don't shoot the ball."

william_brasky
5/30/2006, 02:13 AM

that's probably about right. what do we usually play, around 27 games or so regular season.

hopefully we can go .500 in conference (8-8).

that leaves approximately 11 non-conf games. we have the 3 game guaranteed Maui Invitational, Nova at home, Bama at Bama. I'm no defeatist and think we could win all 5 of those games, but trying to be objective I'd say we take only 2 of those 5 games. there's 3 losses.

so now we have (10-11).

now the remainder of the schedule (hopefully the Washington Generals and East Popcorn States of the world) would leave 6 non-conference games I'll count as W's.

16-11.

However, the Crimson Colored Spectacles I do wear tell me something more in the way of 27-0. :twinkies:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/30/2006, 08:58 AM
I would say about 17. I like the future after next year very much based on what Capel has been able to do so far. Next year though I think NCAA tourney is a bit much to expect. It certainly could happen but I don't expect it. I see us about 8-8,maybe 9-7 in conference with another 6-7 non-conf regular season wins. Maybe a conf tourney win and a win or two in the NIT.

Hooefully they exceed my expectations but I think winning 19 or 20 games next year would be a major accomplishment.

humblesooner
5/30/2006, 04:21 PM
20 wins......:confused: I'm having a hard time with this question....Thoughts??

Looks like you may be the only one having trouble with the O/U at 20. Most think 20 is probably out of the question. Move it to about 15 or16 and I think more people will struggle.
Without knowing who is on the Non-Conf schedule, I would still take the under at this time. We have 6 returning players and 3 others (including Kellen) who did not see any significant time. We know that Neal and Griffin can play. But can Neal get a shot off if there is no other offensive threat on the floor?
Carter appears to be a decent role player, at best.
I'm not convinced that Longar can be anything other than a filler if all of our big men are in foul trouble.
It may be a long season. But, as oumartin said, it won't be Capel's fault.
Personally, I will watch every game I get a chance to and give Capel a "BYE" for this year. Then he needs to recruit some players in to his system.
I look forward to hearing Jeff speak tonight. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any other Caravan reports. Is the one in Houston the first one this year?

King Crimson
5/30/2006, 04:30 PM
I look forward to hearing Jeff speak tonight. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any other Caravan reports. Is the one in Houston the first one this year?

i think there was one in Enid (?) that Darby Rich represented for Men's hoops....but give us a full report. take some notes, comrade. :D

humblesooner
5/31/2006, 07:14 PM
i think there was one in Enid (?) that Darby Rich represented for Men's hoops....but give us a full report. take some notes, comrade. :D

Notes posted under the Houston Caravan report on the main board.
Also on Soonertimes.

King Crimson
5/31/2006, 07:30 PM
Also on Soonertimes.

i read that earlier today, thanks.

SleestakSooner
6/1/2006, 01:21 PM
Also on Soonertimes.

Quite telling that you should call the Sooner Football forum the "main board" ;)

I swear we really ARE a basketball school too!

humblesooner
6/2/2006, 02:12 PM
Quite telling that you should call the Sooner Football forum the "main board" ;)

I swear we really ARE a basketball school too!

I guess it really is quite telling. I didn't realize it until you called it to my attention. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Stoop Dawg
6/9/2006, 01:53 PM
Remember when we used to call people "bad fans" for thinking 20 wins and a NCAA appearance was a good season?

Good times, good times.

LINDSAYB1312
6/9/2006, 01:59 PM
i think crocker and maze both can hit the rock and can average double digits... especially crocker, because maze will lead team in assists

The Consumate Showman
6/9/2006, 03:12 PM
I wanted to see if anyone felt like we might be capable of getting to 20 this year given the circumstances. I would like to think that we could eek out 20 on the dot, but I would imagine 15-17 would be a good first year for Capel....

King Crimson
6/9/2006, 03:27 PM
20 wins is a straw horse. it has cosmetic value but doesn't really mean much re: the tournament anymore. kind of like going .500 in conference used to be a lock for the NCAA....but with the mid-major friendly re-weighting of the RPI, it's no guarantee of anything. in the last 3 years Colorado has won 20 games twice and went 9-7 in conference once and have been to zero NCAA's.

i'd put the over under on wins b/ween 15-17. if we can add Hall, and he can contribute some that would be a huge plus. if we go .500 in conference Capel should be conference coach of the year.

Sooner95
6/9/2006, 10:22 PM
he is right.. 20 wins is not the "cut-off" it used to be. Its really gonna depend on the schedule. Has anyone seen one? I searched, but nothing.. I mean, you know we will get our 5-6 EZ wins.. so those are there.. Conf games, I dont expect us to go anyworse than 7-9 so that gives us 12-13 wins. Now the Big12 will be down, so we will get OURS at HOME, maybe not all, but some, like i said depends on schedule and time. Sooners Hoops are known to lose 2-4 in a row..and they like to do it in Jan/Feb.. so will depend on who is scheduled then. Not to mention do we have any big name games? Uconn, duke? ect?

I am still sticking to my 15-17 predict..but this may be enuff depending of schedule...

Jimminy Crimson
6/10/2006, 03:05 AM

no more, no less, in the first year

i'll be happy with that number

sooneron
6/10/2006, 04:35 PM
under

stoopified
6/12/2006, 09:33 AM
I say 18 and an NIT bid. For this team, that would be great. They are still better than about half of the Big XII. There is enough talent on this team to get to about 18. I would say 9 non-conf. wins, and about 9 conf. wins. They would be a bubble team. Anything better than that ought to warrant him national consideration for Coach of the Year....As far as schedule, I have no clue. I would bet that they would try to make it as soft as possible in the non-conf. to get this team some confidence and be cohesive into a system. I could see this team being a lot like A&M. Scrappy, tough D and enough offense to get them some good wins. Guys like Neal, Carter, and Griffin are double-digit per game guys. They need development at the point (with AJ) and play guys like Clark and L2 at the post.Bingo.That is my prediction as well.I expect OU to go about 18-12 and get a NIT bid.We are in one of the Hawaii tourneys early season which adds more games to the schedule.I DO think we could be better but I'd rather err on the side of caution and be surprised if we win more.Getting a 6'9 or 6'10 widebody would sure help our cause (Hall?).

King Crimson
6/12/2006, 04:41 PM
who's Clark in Iron HorseSooner's post?

I still think though nobody mentions him Godbold can be a good player for this team. not saying he will....but could be a solid D up guy and give us 8-10 ppg.

I'm still optimistic that Carter will have a good to very good year.

The Consumate Showman
6/12/2006, 10:50 PM
^ keith clark

King Crimson
6/13/2006, 08:17 AM
^ keith clark

yeah, i was deep in the throes of a proverbial brainfart i guess.:O

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2007, 11:41 AM
Lot of smart people nailed it in this thread.

Except this one:

i think crocker and maze both can hit the rock and can average double digits... especially crocker, because maze will lead team in assists

whoops. :D

SleestakSooner
3/10/2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah though I hate to have witnessed it, good call guys. That mid season winning streak had me hopeful for a few weeks. In the end the youth and lack of players for key positions (center/strong forward) brought OU back down to where most of us thought they would be.

Things should get better as Capel builds the program up.

the_ouskull
3/10/2007, 02:02 PM
At the beginning of the season, I predicted a 19-10 finish. I thought we'd sweep A&M (who knew?) and win AT Ames, and AT Manhattan.

Neal was who I thought he was, Longar was who I thought he was, Nate finally got to be who I thought he was, and Taylor Griffin and Bobby Maze, along with Tony Crocker, sometimes... showed us who we think they can be.

With the exception of the four games I listed, the season went EXACTLY like I thought it would for us. (I think I even said "win one in the B12T, but I don't remember for certain...)

I think that next year, we'll show some serious "signs of life" and be a tournament team. I think that, in 08, we'll be a legitmate threat to win the conference outright, certainly a threat to win the conference tournament, and a Sweet 16, Elite 8 type team in the tournament. I am, of course, assuming that our current players improve to the point that I think that they will, and that the young players that Capel is bringing in now are able to reach at least a glimpse of their potential as freshmen and are able to absolutely perform as sophomores. In addition, I think that, after '07, Capel will be able to bring in at least one "impact freshman."

I'm looking forward to next season already... Especially if we redshirt everybody that we're bringing in except Blake Griffin and Tony Neysmith.

the_ouskull

Newbomb Turk
3/10/2007, 02:57 PM
I'd be shocked with 20 wins.

I think somewhere around 16.

good call Newbomb.

OKC-SLC
3/10/2007, 04:08 PM
good call Newbomb.

Newbomb Turk
3/10/2007, 04:10 PM
good call Newbomb.

why thank you for noticing! :D

your Baylor game thread was golden Thursday!

oumartin
3/10/2007, 04:33 PM
yeah, decent call newbomb.. you guys missed me on the board this year dent ya

Newbomb Turk
3/10/2007, 04:59 PM
you guys missed me on the board this year dent ya

I hate to say it, but...yes.

OKC-SLC
3/10/2007, 05:22 PM
why thank you for noticing! :D

your Baylor game thread was golden Thursday!
heh.

OKC-SLC
3/10/2007, 05:24 PM
martin, it doesn't seem like I see you around that much at all these days.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/11/2007, 06:23 PM
I would say about 17. I like the future after next year very much based on what Capel has been able to do so far. Next year though I think NCAA tourney is a bit much to expect. It certainly could happen but I don't expect it. I see us about 8-8,maybe 9-7 in conference with another 6-7 non-conf regular season wins. Maybe a conf tourney win and a win or two in the NIT.

Hooefully they exceed my expectations but I think winning 19 or 20 games next year would be a major accomplishment.

Newbomb, have any stock advice?

I was close overall but we certainly came up a few games short on conference wins. I can't say that the team really underachieved though. Looks like we just miss the NIT so I was probably about one game off.

oumartin
3/11/2007, 06:38 PM
well due to losing 4 family members since october time to be online alot aren't great. but i will be hangin' around more.

Newbomb Turk
3/11/2007, 06:40 PM
well due to losing 4 family members since october time to be online alot aren't great. but i will be hangin' around more.

you've had a rough year my friend.

hope to see you around more.

william_brasky
3/11/2007, 07:11 PM
good to see you back martin.

let's hope you don't have to run Capel off like you did his predecessor.

oumartin
3/11/2007, 09:14 PM
I like capel. just this team went to pot in the last quarter season. and that was a shame..
I think OU will be fine come two years from now

Soonerus
3/11/2007, 09:16 PM

Welcome back, Martin...

sooneron
3/11/2007, 11:00 PM
I took the under, what do I win?

william_brasky
3/12/2007, 12:09 AM
I took the under, what do I win?

you will receive a trophy much like the one displayed below in the mail or via doorstep delivery (perhaps engulfed in flames):

http://www.playazball.com/kenny%20poop%20platform.jpg

The Consumate Showman
3/12/2007, 12:44 AM
I think the telling thing about OU B-Ball this year is something that no one has mentioned yet...LOOK at where Coach Capel's old team is this year.....NCAA Tourney! Look, I've been saying the following all year and I'm sure about 95% of you have to: If Capel can get out of the kids he was stuck with this year, then given more talent and better recruiting, what can we do when we start to get the likes of Blake, Tony, Cade, Rotnei(?)[fingers crossed], and other national recruits???

Just think of what type of a season we couold have had if those freakin' traitors Reynolds and James would have been men of their words????????