PDA

View Full Version : Computer people..help!

Jerk
5/27/2006, 09:38 PM
OK I got this homebuilt computer I built 3 years ago...yes, time for a new one, but for now....

I play this online game where people shoot each other and stuff...it's alot of fun and I probably spend 1-2 hours per day playing. Everything has been dandy but lately the 'puter has started to crash on me. It ain't a simple crash to the desk top. I'm saying, the computer completely shuts down and iself turned off. I suspect its the power supply but I was thinking the CPU is over-heating, but I checked the BIOS and the CPU temp wasn't that bad.. Could also be the muttherf**ing graphics card that I bought at mitherf**ing walmart. That think is the biggest POS since New Coke. I increased voltage from 1.5 to 1.6, then to 1.7 and my FPS went up but teh mutherf**vkrt still crashes. It's that damne d m**vkrtinh power spply. aint it?

The onlt thing Im skered to do is put the mitherf**omg processor on the mitherf**ng motherboard....but I have to OVERCOME THAT and just get r done and build a new'r one.

booomer
5/27/2006, 09:51 PM
In my experience it may be, as you said, an overheating problem or a power supply problem. A memory module going bad can also cause the system to shut itself down.

GottaHavePride
5/27/2006, 10:03 PM
Hmmm. If it says it isn't overheating you're probably ok there. Plus I don't think it's the power supply. Usually a power supply works fine until one day when you try to boot the computer it'll fry itself and smell like burning hair - you know, smoke out the back of the computer, the whole works. (Unless you just changed some other component and now your power supply just doesn't have the wattage to handle the new equipment... that's a possibility.)

I'd look at the graphics card or the memory. (Although I don't think the graphics card would shut down the rest of the computer, so I'd check the memory chips first.)

Getem
5/27/2006, 10:09 PM
You probably want to check the CPU temperature while you are playing the game. The temp will drop pretty quickly when it shuts down. You should have gotten a monitor program with the motherboard that you can check whilst playing the game.

You probably want to back the voltage down to stock and run the pc with the case open to make sure all the fans are working.

soonerboomer93
5/27/2006, 10:12 PM
checking the temp while in the bios isn't a good indicator. under load (playing a game) your processor can be running atleast 10 degree's celcius hotter, dependant on cooling system and processor of course

slickdawg
5/27/2006, 10:14 PM
When you say "shuts down", do you mean windows gracefully shuts down,
or the PC locks up, or it's like the power went out?

GottaHavePride
5/27/2006, 10:16 PM
Oil-cooled PC (http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/)

slickdawg
5/27/2006, 10:20 PM
Oh, this should be your next system:

http://www.cray.com/products/x1e/

Jerk
5/27/2006, 10:21 PM
computer completely shuts down. CPU is at 160 degrees F per BIOS.

Scott D
5/27/2006, 10:28 PM

too hot. Your computer is shutting down so it doesn't fry the CPU.

I use a program called WarpSpeeder to monitor my fan speed and cpu temp. Personally I think anything over 33 celsius is too hot....but you don't begin to reach a proper danger zone until you hit 36-37 celsius.

One thing a lot of people neglect is to make sure they clean the dust out of their heatsink and heatsink fan.

Vaevictis
5/27/2006, 11:38 PM
I increased voltage from 1.5 to 1.6, then to 1.7 and my FPS went up but teh mutherf**vkrt still crashes. It's that damne d m**vkrtinh power spply. aint it?

You realize that if you increase the voltage, you're *increasing* the heat, yes? Increasing it a lot, mind you. Don't do that, if you suspect heat problems already.

EDIT: FWIW, the heat increase should be something like 30% from 1.5 volts to 1.7 volts, assuming the power/heat ratio is linear. Bad idea.

soonerboomer93
5/28/2006, 12:12 AM
too hot. Your computer is shutting down so it doesn't fry the CPU.

I use a program called WarpSpeeder to monitor my fan speed and cpu temp. Personally I think anything over 33 celsius is too hot....but you don't begin to reach a proper danger zone until you hit 36-37 celsius.

One thing a lot of people neglect is to make sure they clean the dust out of their heatsink and heatsink fan.

that depends on the processor, my cpu runs at 45 c, 55 under load. Danger zone isn't until 75

soonerboomer93
5/28/2006, 12:15 AM

without knowing for sure your processor type, and going by the 3 year old statement, you're running too hot without a doubt. only late edition p4's are ok at these temps and some amd's. I would check you fan, your fan may have failed.

Flagstaffsooner
5/28/2006, 12:30 AM
Motherboard Monitor (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311)

soonerboomer93
5/28/2006, 01:22 AM
Motherboard Monitor (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311)

motherboard monitor is no longer supported by the programmers. It's a decent program, but can be a pain to configure, especially without knowing the make and model of mainboard.

Flagstaffsooner
5/28/2006, 01:42 AM
true

GottaHavePride
5/28/2006, 01:57 AM
My motherboard's about the same age as Jerk's - my processor runs at about 118 degrees Fahrenheit, red zone starts hitting at just over 150 degrees. So yeah, I would guess Jerk's processor is probably overheating.

Clean all the dust out, check to see if the fans are working; you might want a new heat sink.

Jerk
5/28/2006, 06:07 AM
Ok guys thanks for the suggestions...sorry about the language I was very drunk last night. But it's a new day and I'm feelin' fine.

I'll clean it and check my fans...

Oh, btw - that voltage setting I turned up was for the graphics card - not the cpu

Vaevictis
5/28/2006, 06:17 AM
Oh, btw - that voltage setting I turned up was for the graphics card - not the cpu

It might still matter. Graphics cards crap out too, and even if that's not the direct source of your problem, if the graphics card is venting heat into the case, that makes heat transfer into the air less efficient everywhere.

And on a modern graphics card, increasing heat output by 30% can be pretty large.

StoopTroup
5/28/2006, 06:24 AM
Ok guys thanks for the suggestions...sorry about the language I was very drunk last night. But it's a new day and I'm feelin' fine.

So it was really you that overheated...lol.

Glad your processors are back online.

StoopTroup
5/28/2006, 06:33 AM
Oh, this should be your next system:

http://www.cray.com/products/x1e/
I was checking out the investment side of Cray...

Checkout the stuff under the OUTLOOK area in here...

http://stocks.usatoday.com/custom/usatoday-com/html-story.asp?guid=%7BD217F97A%2D37B2%2D478B%2D895E%2D 0DAB911C7E2D%7D

Ike
5/28/2006, 10:54 AM
Hmmm. If it says it isn't overheating you're probably ok there. Plus I don't think it's the power supply. Usually a power supply works fine until one day when you try to boot the computer it'll fry itself and smell like burning hair - you know, smoke out the back of the computer, the whole works.

heh. we refer to this as releasing the magic smoke that makes the computer run. :D

Scott D
5/28/2006, 11:03 AM
that depends on the processor, my cpu runs at 45 c, 55 under load. Danger zone isn't until 75

yeah but I was basing that on his system being 3 years old...I almost guarantee for him it's dust in the heatsink and the heatsink fan.