PDA

View Full Version : Why do you have to "join" Sam's Club?

Okla-homey
5/27/2006, 05:12 PM
Is it so the WalEmpire knows where you live when they conquer the world?

Or do they have to report people who buy six pound cans of creamed corn to the government?

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6249/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa5.png (http://imageshack.us)

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 05:24 PM
demographic information....and purchase tracking. I don't know if Sam's does this but there is HUGE money made by selling demographic information to advertising researchers.

Okla-homey
5/27/2006, 05:29 PM
demographic information....and purchase tracking. I don't know if Sam's does this but there is HUGE money made by selling demographic information to advertising researchers.

And they've figgered out a way to make people pay THEM money to join thus enabling Wal-Mart to sell their personal data to market researchers and make mo money? You gotta love America.

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 05:33 PM
absolutely, it's kinda like paying Nike money to advertise for them on the T-shirt YOU bought from THEM.

Howzit
5/27/2006, 05:50 PM
Dude, it's a club.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/27/2006, 05:59 PM
It's a very exclusive club, too. Every time I walk in and just look around, I know I'm hob-nobbing with the societal elite.

These people are F'n Hill-Williams.

Tailwind
5/27/2006, 06:00 PM
Who the hell buys six-pound cans of creamed corn, anyway?

Octavian
5/27/2006, 06:02 PM
I'm always impressed when I find out someone's a Sam's Club member...

its a great pick-up line w/ chicks

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 06:04 PM
It's a very exclusive club, too. Every time I walk in and just look around, I know I'm hob-nobbing with the societal elite.

These people are F'n Hill-Williams.

it's not just yer average blueblood who's looking to buy a box of cheez-its that's as big as your fridge.

picasso
5/27/2006, 06:05 PM
I've still got soap and paper towels from last month baby.

I simply wanted to buy some Windex the other day. shoulda known better.

Howzit
5/27/2006, 06:05 PM
it's not just yer average blueblood who's looking to buy a box of cheez-its that's as big as your fridge.

And sleeping bag sized tots.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/27/2006, 06:10 PM
They have good produce.

picasso
5/27/2006, 06:14 PM
I said potato lady! I just wanted one frickin potato!

I did buy a new mattress set there. it's some sweet sleepin man.

royalfan5
5/27/2006, 06:19 PM
In all seriousness, when Sam's Club was orginally concived it was patterned on another warehouse store called Price Club. Membership was intially limited to business owners and gov't employees. The idea was that Sam's would serve as a wholesaler to very small businesses like your local gas station, and gov't employees were tacked on to grow their sales base a little bit and make the business more patriotic. Evetually Sam's gutted the limits as the stores were more successful.

opksooner
5/27/2006, 06:23 PM
I went to Sam's Club a few days ago to buy some toothpaste but I didn't want to buy a pallet of it so I went to Target and bought a tube.

SoonerInFla
5/27/2006, 06:27 PM
I went to Sam's Club a few days ago to buy some toothpaste but I didn't want to buy a pallet of it so I went to Target and bought a tube.

Just think how much money you didn't save!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/27/2006, 06:29 PM
Out here in border-state country we have COSTCO, a competitor to Sams Club, as well as Sam's Club. Costco is Price Club after a name change a few years ago.
The media doesn't go after COSTCO, because they're not part of Walmart, and are unionized, I believe.

Mixer!
5/27/2006, 06:31 PM
Who the hell buys six-pound cans of creamed corn, anyway?
http://download2.centerclick.org:81/data/qA3eFEIxuWwkC8E1YopTKQ/thumb/videos/simpsons/creamed_corn.jpg (http://download2.centerclick.org:81/data/qA3eFEIxuWwkC8E1YopTKQ/videos/simpsons/creamed_corn.mov)

click away.

Sooner_Bob
5/27/2006, 06:48 PM
We haven't been to Sam's in a while. My wife has actually started buying groceries at the Crest down in Edmond.

We used to always buy big 'ol bags of chicken breasts and like 5 lbs. of ground beef at Sam's. That would last us quite a while back in the day.

Now we just go halves with my in-laws and butcher a steer.

StoopTroup
5/27/2006, 07:00 PM
Hey Bob...

Do they give you the head for mounting? ;)

http://www.arnoldsfarm.com/Beef%20Head%20Through%20Fence.JPG

jk the sooner fan
5/27/2006, 07:04 PM
when i was doing the single dad thing, both my boys could put away bottled drinks like nobody's business......and sams is where i got them

beano said it right, they do have good produce....i dont understand why they have great fresh pineapple, but the ones at super wal-mart suck

sooner n houston
5/27/2006, 07:06 PM
Sams and Costco make all their profit from the memberships dues. They sell the merchandise to you at their cost. Cost of course including the product plus employee salaries plus store and shipping expense, etc.

VeeJay
5/27/2006, 07:52 PM
They're making a little bit of margin on what they sell. A lot of their stuff is produced in China, for a fraction of what it would cost if it were made in the USA, too. AND they operate on 2% cash discount on payment terms from the vendors. 2% alone of what goes through the store is staggering.

I'm sort of in the bidness so there are other things like volume discount incentives, forward buying on promotions, diverting, etc. that's rarely passed on to consumers.

jk the sooner fan
5/27/2006, 08:09 PM
i think its cost plus 5% or so