PDA

View Full Version : Heavy: The Story of Metal

Scott D
5/27/2006, 03:09 PM
Very interesting..from the beginnings with Sabbath and Zeppelin through today. One of the more interesting things is how the success of 'Cherry Pie' nearly drove Jani Lane to suicide.

And it still makes me sad to see early Metallica and what they became.

Melo
5/27/2006, 03:16 PM

Me, too. :(

Tailwind
5/27/2006, 03:34 PM
I still love old metal! Never cared that much for Metallica.

dolemitesooner
5/27/2006, 03:36 PM
I think that lars is a monkey and sucks alot of donkey long

Tailwind
5/27/2006, 03:40 PM
Donkey long?

Scott D
5/27/2006, 03:45 PM
forget about it..he's on a roll ;)

Tailwind
5/27/2006, 03:46 PM
:D

Scott D
5/27/2006, 03:48 PM
and Rob Halford is still the man.

Tailwind
5/27/2006, 03:52 PM
Is this a book or a movie?

Scott D
5/27/2006, 03:54 PM
It was a documentary kind of thing, it's been on for the last 4 hours..it just ended and up next is that Marky Mark classic 'Rock Star'...which is ironic since I just mentioned that Rob Halford is the man ;)

Tailwind
5/27/2006, 03:57 PM
Damn! Sorry I missed it. I love Rockumentaries.

Scott D
5/27/2006, 04:01 PM
not sure when it'll be on again. But at 7:30 eastern it'll be Judas Priest (http://www.vh1.com/channels/vh1_classic/channel_daily.jhtml)videos for half an hour :)

SoonerProphet
5/27/2006, 04:17 PM
Sabbath were the real pioneers, Zep was the portent of glam bands.

Scott D
5/27/2006, 04:19 PM
Well their portrayal had it as Zep were the originators of more complex guitar play (via Page) and Plant the originator of the higher pitched vocalist.

SoonerProphet
5/27/2006, 04:28 PM
I can dig that, but in my opinion I think Zep had some standard blues and "traditional" licks from Page. Nothing to groundbreaking. Iommi on the other hand, with Geezer on the bass, had a more genre setting sound. A kinda of heavy sound and feel, if that makes any sense.

Scott D
5/27/2006, 04:30 PM
yeah it's more or less something they said...however they said it probably wasn't until early Judas Priest until there was a harder edge lack of bluesy sound to Metal...which makes sense because there was that feel even with Sabbath.

SoonerProphet
5/27/2006, 04:40 PM
No doubt blues and jazz influnced many of those 60's eras guitar groundbreakers. I think the next generation, Priest, Iron Maiden, and the like, just played faster. Again, just my opine.

Scott D
5/27/2006, 04:41 PM
I danno, Maiden sorta started out as a punk/metal sort of fusion...at least until they dumped the original lead singer for Bruce Dickenson.

AC/DC were unhappy about being portrayed in London as a punk band when they moved to England from Australia.

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 04:47 PM
i'll just toss out Deep Purple as a jazz inflected metal band. Deep Purple influences all over Ride the Lightning, just one example.

agree wholeheartedly about Sabbath. Zep was a blues band...but communication breakdown is often cited as having strong implications for the future of metal.

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 04:49 PM
some other left field influences: Blue Cheer and the Troggs.

Scott D
5/27/2006, 04:50 PM
And we would be remiss to not mention the 200 bands from England who lasted one album at most from 1975-1983 :D

Okla-homey
5/27/2006, 05:19 PM
two words...

Angus Young

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1359/angusacdc25cc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Scott D
5/27/2006, 07:13 PM
bumpage, this just started at 8pm eastern on regular VH-1.

Cam
6/3/2006, 09:24 PM
Watched it last week. Some pretty interesting stuff.

Still not sure I'd consider Def Leppard and Van Halen heavy metal though.

Boarder
6/3/2006, 10:54 PM
It was great. I thought the same thing about the "Cherry Pie" story.

GDC
6/4/2006, 12:50 PM
I need to see this. Hope they gave props to Slayer.

Scott D
6/4/2006, 01:31 PM
Slayer came up in the 4th hour.....they did tell an interesting story when Slayer and Biohazard were on tour together that almost resulted in Slayer kicking Biohazard off of the tour.

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 02:12 PM
Metalica is to speed metal what the Beatles were to Rock and Roll.

They fused punk and Sabath type metal before and better than anyone.

Anthrax was to "hip hop Metal" (Korn, Limp, clowns, etc..) what Metalica was to speed metal.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 02:23 PM

You can't outrun Father Time! Many people have tired but sooner or later he ALWAYS catches you.

But it was very good look at metal history. since i'm still in my 20's i had forgotten how kick arse some of those bands were and are. Also, the thing that was thought provoking to me was how history repeats itself over and over again even in music. Since i enjoy The Maiden and Eddie of the early bands that were talked about one fast fowards the clock 25yrs. or so and one gets.... Iced Earth!! Speed up the music, get deeper lyrics, get more precise musicians, etc etc. Its really kinda of eerie to listen to.

I also wish they would have wrapped it up better w/ talking about some of the metal bands today that are more edgie and raw. Bands like Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Trivium, Arteyu etc etc. are all great young bands that are picking up and carrying the metal flag.

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 02:26 PM
Nice to see Ozzy finally get his due respect.

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 02:31 PM
Am I the only one that thinks "Guns and Roses" were just as much "posers" as Warent and Motly Crue?

Scott D
6/4/2006, 02:34 PM
eh, they were more of a bridge between glam bands and harder bands.

GDC
6/4/2006, 02:37 PM
Metalica is to speed metal what the Beatles were to Rock and Roll.

They fused punk and Sabath type metal before and better than anyone.

Anthrax was to "hip hop Metal" (Korn, Limp, clowns, etc..) what Metalica was to speed metal.

Agreed, but they should have credited bands like Diamond Head, Motorhead, and Saxon as Metallica's primary influences. I am also curious if they cited excellent but lesser-known bands like Testament and Exodus, and how much they went into black/death/gore metal.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 02:39 PM
Warrant DEFINITELY!!!!! But i gotta disagree w/ Gun n Roses and especially the Crue. Slash is one of the best guitarist to come along in the last half century. And the Crue gets a pass just because of the lifestyle they had :eek: Fvcking CRAZY!!!!!!!

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 02:40 PM
Well, I didn't take that bridge. Course, I was a DRI, Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, Suicidal Tendancies, etc...type guy so Metalica was my Bridge.

I just always thought GNR was the succ. Bonjoviesque, if you will.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 02:41 PM
I don't recall them going into the genres of death and black metal although i could be wrong.

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 02:44 PM
No offense but Slash doesn't make the top 50 in the last quarter century. Even he'll admit he isn't one of the most talented guitarists.

Scott D
6/4/2006, 02:47 PM
No offense but Slash doesn't make the top 50 in the last quarter century. Even he'll admit he isn't one of the most talented guitarists.

if only he had played sober more often.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 02:47 PM

OK, now thats seriously madness. Top 50 in the last Quarter century. So since 1981 he's not in the top 50. You sir have gone to far. :D

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 02:49 PM
if only he had played sober more often.That could be said of all of the guys ahead of him too. ;)

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 02:52 PM
OK, now thats seriously madness. Top 50 in the last Quarter century. So since 1981 he's not in the top 50. You sir have gone to far. :DTo be fair, I'm counting guys that were still around then too and including all guitarists...Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmore, etc...;)

Scott D
6/4/2006, 02:54 PM
He was no Randy Rhodes..and while I may not agree with your assessment sir, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 03:10 PM
He was no Randy Rhodes..and while I may not agree with your assessment sir, I will defend to the death your right to say it.heh, I'll name from memory as many as i can that are clearly better, in no particular order over the last half century as originally posed....

Randy Rhodes
Jimmy Hendrix
Clapton
Page
Jeff Beck
Stevie Ray Vaughn
George Harrison
Kirk Hammet
Brian May
Van Halen
Pete Townsend
BB King
Gilmore
Santana
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
The Edge
Joe Walsh
Dimebag
Tom Morello
Ted Nugent
Ace Frehley
Billy Courigan
Tony Iommi

I'm tired.

Scott D
6/4/2006, 03:13 PM
oh come now, he's better than Hammett...hell Dave Mustane is better than Hammet.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 03:14 PM
To be fair, I'm counting guys that were still around then too and including all guitarists...Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmore, etc...;)

Ahh........ That's makes all the difference in the world. haha And to add a few John Petrucci, Dimebag, and.... Estaban!! hahaha :D

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 03:16 PM
oh come now, he's better than Hammett...hell Dave Mustane is better than Hammet.Dude you are nuts. He has nothing even close to what Hammet did on Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets/And Justice for All. Nothing.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 03:18 PM
oh come now, he's better than Hammett...hell Dave Mustane is better than Hammet.

Hammet vs. Mustaine as guitarist..... Equal
Hammet vs. Mustaine as being influential to the genre.... Mustaine KO's Hammet 3 sec. into first round!!

Scott D
6/4/2006, 03:20 PM
I'll give you that Hammett is better than Billy Corgan. Corgan is overrated in every way possible.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 03:20 PM
Dude you are nuts. He has nothing even close to what Hammet did on Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets/And Justice for All. Nothing.

Dude... Hanger 18, Holy Wars, Sweating Bullets, Lucretia, not to mention the 95% of the Kill em All album!!

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 03:23 PM
I'll give you that Hammett is better than Billy Corgan. Corgan is overrated in every way possible.They are in no order just random memory. They are all better than slash in my opinion. Mustain is a stud Guitarist, unfortunatly he likes to sing which he sucks at and in my mind marginalizes his impact.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 03:24 PM
And one more thing.... Call of Ktulu is Mustaine on the Ride the Lightening album.

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 03:27 PM
Fade to Black is the best solo on Lightning and that was Kirk.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 03:27 PM
Mustaine may not be the best singer in the world but his song writing ability and his musical arrangement abilities more than make up for his singing!

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 03:30 PM
I'd also add Jerry Cantrell as a better guitarist than Slash.

Big Red Ron
6/4/2006, 03:32 PM
Mustaine may not be the best singer in the world but his song writing ability and his musical arrangement abilities more than make up for his singing!I'm a huge Megadeath fan. I just never felt they were as godd as Metalica. I also found it a bit silly that Mustaine tried to claim so much credit for Metalica's success.

TripleOption14
6/4/2006, 03:51 PM
You know i was talking to my buddy not to long ago about this idea. I think that must of us would agree that Metallica sux now correct? OK, my idea was this.. If you could get them ALL to somehow put their egos aside you could come up w/ a KILLER hard rock/metal album. For instance, get the original members of metallica back together and go and remaster or redo some of the song off of Kill em All. And then you could switch line ups. So Hatfield,Mustaine,Ulrich,Elfeusson would be a group of a song then it would be something like Hammet,Mustaine, Newsted, Menza. Then Freidman,Hatfield, Elfeusson, and Menza. So on and so on. And they redo old songs or make new ones. Would that not make for a kick arse album. Not to mention all the $$$$ they would ALL make since that seems to be what they all want. How cool would that be?

GDC
6/4/2006, 04:27 PM
heh, I'll name from memory as many as i can that are clearly better, in no particular order over the last half century as originally posed....

Randy Rhodes
Jimmy Hendrix
Clapton
Page
Jeff Beck
Stevie Ray Vaughn
George Harrison
Kirk Hammet
Brian May
Van Halen
Pete Townsend
BB King
Gilmore
Santana
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
The Edge
Joe Walsh
Dimebag
Tom Morello
Ted Nugent
Ace Frehley
Billy Courigan
Tony Iommi

I'm tired.

Alex Lifeson and Rick Nielsen

GDC
6/30/2006, 04:15 PM
Is this the same show?

Metal:A Headbanger's Journey (http://www.metalhistory.com/)

IB4OU2
6/30/2006, 04:22 PM
WARNING! I was downloading what I thought was Led Zeppellin from Itunes the other day and it turns out the download was from a faux band called Led Zepeagain..........Gah! :mad:

GDC
6/30/2006, 04:27 PM
WARNING! I was downloading what I thought was Led Zeppellin from Itunes the other day and it turns out the download was from a faux band called Led Zepeagain..........Gah! :mad:

There is no Led Zeppelin on iTunes yet.

Pricetag
6/30/2006, 04:42 PM
Mustaine may not be the best singer in the world but his song writing ability and his musical arrangement abilities more than make up for his singing!
He's no worse than any other metal singer, and that includes Hetfield.

IB4OU2
6/30/2006, 04:44 PM
There is no Led Zeppelin on iTunes yet.

I know that know but there's Led Zepagain.........cleverly disgiused as Led Zeppelin on a download called the 'Best of Led Zeppelin'. :(

KC//CRIMSON
6/13/2007, 10:19 PM
I would love to go see this! Some friends of mine went to the Chicago show back in May, said it rocked faces off.:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovisJrQfVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzx2qKOzgtg

Black Sabbath with Dio > Black Sabbath with Ozzy

sorry, but it's true...

King Crimson
6/14/2007, 12:53 AM
I've seen that version of Heaven and Hell. awesome.

Geezer, Bill Ward and Iommi were tough.

Taxman71
6/14/2007, 10:16 AM
I think metal blurred alot in the 80's. Van Halen (pre-1984), Twisted Sister, Ratt, Motley Crue and much of the Ozzy stuff (Ultimate Sin, Bark at the Moon) wasn't glam like Poison, Warrant, et al., but it wasn't as heavy as Motorhead, Maiden, etc. Warren Demartini gets overlooked alot as does George Lynch from Dokken.