PDA

View Full Version : Need an Update

IronHorseSooner
5/27/2006, 02:59 PM
:confused: Gents,

I have been "out-of-the-loop" for a while. Just exactly who do we have left? I know that we lost three recruits (James, Mayfield, and Herndon). If I am correct, that would leave us with the following:

C- L2
PF- Griffin, Clark
SF- Carter, Godbold
SG- Neal, Crocker
PG- AJ

Am I wrong on any of these? I would like my next season preview to be as accurate as possible. :confused:

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 05:18 PM
that's about right though i expect the positions to be pretty fluid with Godbold, Carter, Clark (assuming he qualifies as looks likely), Crocker....the latter two being freshmen so i wouldn't expect either to come in and set the world on fire....but see some minutes.

Bobby Maze has commited at the 1 and 2 guard. we're still in on Hernol Hall Juco de-commit from Duquesne--see my post in the Hall and Maze post.

lubbocksooner
5/27/2006, 05:32 PM
:confused: Gents,

I have been "out-of-the-loop" for a while. Just exactly who do we have left? I know that we lost three recruits (James, Mayfield, and Herndon). If I am correct, that would leave us with the following:

C- L2
PF- Griffin, Clark
SF- Carter, Godbold
SG- Neal, Crocker
PG- AJ

Am I wrong on any of these? I would like my next season preview to be as accurate as possible. :confused:

Don't leave out Kellen Samson and Michael Ott. I know they are walk on's but in a worst case scenario they might play more than they did last year. I am not digging on them just that if something happens and we wind up with just these guys we could be pretty thin. Turned ankles, twisted knee's....anything could happen.

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 05:39 PM
Chris Walker is also a PG on the team. FWIW. i've read some stuff that while he's not "all that"....some observers of the team feell he can be a solid backup and give some quality minutes.

IronHorseSooner
5/27/2006, 06:03 PM
Forgot about Walker....Thanks guys.

IronHorseSooner
5/27/2006, 06:08 PM
Still worried about the low post depth. I know that under the Duke system where he was mentored Coach K plays a lot of small line-ups. I agree, we should be good at positions 2-4. If AJ can stay healthy and improve is 3-point shooting, he could be a good point. Again, the low-post will be the key. L2 had better learn to stay out of foul trouble and stay in great shape!

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 06:20 PM
Still worried about the low post depth. I know that under the Duke system where he was mentored Coach K plays a lot of small line-ups. I agree, we should be good at positions 2-4. If AJ can stay healthy and improve is 3-point shooting, he could be a good point. Again, the low-post will be the key. L2 had better learn to stay out of foul trouble and stay in great shape!

that's a problem. I'm not sure what to think about L2. and not so much the Duke thing, but Capel had to play the same way at VCU last year when his best player and main big hurt his spine. getting Hall would be a good get; but it's hard to project him as anything but a talented juco or a much needed body in the post. L2 on the floor in the last 2 minutes of a close game will be "foul him to the FT line" bait for opposing coaches.

next year will be a struggle...but, so be it.

IronHorseSooner
5/27/2006, 07:22 PM
I remember that UCLA had to do something like this where Baron Davis was there. They had a starting line-up with three guys at 6-2, a 6-5 PF, and a 6-8 Center (who was really a SF). It might not be that bad, but it won't be far off. That team, if I'm correct, made it to the Tourney. However, this team doesn't have the talent that the Uclans had.

King Crimson
5/28/2006, 04:54 AM
heck, Cheese Davis played center for Billy at, what, 6' 5"? :D

IronHorseSooner
5/28/2006, 08:41 AM
Yep, he did....I remember Kelvin's second team started Ernie Abercrombie at center in some games....In college ball, you can probably get away with it more since it is more of a guards' game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/28/2006, 12:19 PM
you can get away with it because there aren't any restrictions on defense. in the pros they'd eat you up because you have to have the wing span to stop high flying guards slashing into the paint.

this year will tell a lot about capel. saddenly, i'd say he now has less talent than kelvin did when he arrived. :(

The Consumate Showman
5/28/2006, 12:36 PM
Maybe Capel will surprise us all with a different style of offense....i dunno...I just hope we're not the laughing stock of the big 12....

King Crimson
5/28/2006, 12:42 PM
i don't think we've got anyone who can put the ball in the peach basket other than Neal....we're gonna have ugly times next year and probably stuggle to score. but, I'm optimistic for the future.

IronHorseSooner
5/28/2006, 03:34 PM
I am actually high on Griffin. He might be an Eduardo/ Minor type play. Remember, when Kelvin arrived, ESPN had us picked 6th out of 8 in the Big 8.
Neal can score, but I believe that there are some other guys who can score, it was just that KS put a lid on them. I believe that Coach Capel will let the guys play on offense. What does he have to lose? Defensively, I can see this team being pretty good. Remember, AJ, Godbold, and Griffin are good defenders. I believe Carter can be, and L2 COULD be a good shot-blocker.

stoopified
5/28/2006, 03:48 PM
I 'm thinking we will see better play from L2.at least to the Jabahri range.We did ok with Brown and Book and I think the POTENTIAL is there with Griffin and L2 to play in that manner.

I am looking to this b-ball season with an equal mix of excitement and trepidation.

LINDSAYB1312
6/9/2006, 01:53 PM
crocker can shoot the lights out and is a big guard can play 2 or 3 and bobby maze originally a 2 has converted to a 1 and can hit the three

Collier11
6/9/2006, 01:58 PM
i don't think we've got anyone who can put the ball in the peach basket other than Neal....we're gonna have ugly times next year and probably stuggle to score. but, I'm optimistic for the future.

The problem with Neal is he is somewhat of a set shooter, I dont know that he can score on his own. THe only guys that we have that can go score are Griffin who I think can be a superstar, even better than najera(key word is can, not will) and maybe that crocker kid.

Collier11
6/9/2006, 01:59 PM
and carter and longbold, heh