PDA

View Full Version : CNN/SI 15 greatest plays in CFB...NO SUPERMAN!!!

SoonerStormchaser
5/26/2006, 11:41 AM
WTF??? They put the illegal "Bush Push" in there, what about Roy Williams's Texas smackdown?

Bastards!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0605/gallery.cfbtoplays2/content.1.html?cnn=yes

TexasLidig8r
5/26/2006, 11:43 AM
They put the illegal push as THE NUMBER ONE PLAY!!!!

Roy Williams leap should be in there.. as well as..

Street to Peschel on 4th and 3 in 69.

A bogus list.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/26/2006, 11:53 AM
ahhh yes....the desires to make liberace lovin to anything USC related continues.....

Octavian
5/26/2006, 12:02 PM
Superman Leap in 01 RRS.

Johny Rodgers 71 Game of the Century punt return for a TD.

Turner Gill's failed 2-pt conversion pass vs. Miami in the 83 NCG.

Penn St.'s last secong INT of Testaverde in the 86 NCG.

Super Seneca :confused:

Octavian
5/26/2006, 12:03 PM
Street to Peschel on 4th and 3 in 69.

yep.

OKC-SLC
5/26/2006, 12:28 PM
gheighay.

Partial Qualifier
5/26/2006, 01:01 PM
Most of those are just ridiculous.

Tear Down This Wall
5/26/2006, 01:14 PM
What? Iowa State's Seneca Wallace on some p*ss ant 12-yard run, but no TRRW smashing Simms? Reggie Bush pushing Matt Leinhart into the endzone? Preposterous.

Tear Down This Wall
5/26/2006, 01:17 PM
Er...how about Uwe Von Schamann burying Ohio State in Columbus with a last second field goal? Seneca Wallace and an illegal push are better than that?

Pricetag
5/26/2006, 03:31 PM
Superman Leap in 01 RRS.

You have to admit, the Drew Tate pass to win the meaningless bowl for Iowa smokes all these plays, even the Wallace run.

Flagstaffsooner
5/26/2006, 04:13 PM

:mad:

Clip and all?

Octavian
5/26/2006, 04:30 PM
:mad:

Clip and all?

unfortunately yes. :(

both of 'em.

Octavian
5/26/2006, 04:33 PM
You have to admit, the Drew Tate pass to win the meaningless bowl for Iowa smokes all these plays, even the Wallace run.

Yeah, thats why using the word "greatest" in a list always muddies up the water.

If they would say "most prolific" or "most exciting"...thats quite different than "most significant."

Instead they use the vague "greatest." I think its b/c they know fans across the country need some more fodder to argue about during the 8 month offseason ;)

Flagstaffsooner
5/26/2006, 04:44 PM
unfortunately yes. :(

both of 'em.I'm imrpessed. I don't think the 2nd one was on camera. Were you at the game too?

And let's not mention the the fumble near the goal line.

Crimson Kid
5/26/2006, 05:11 PM
Garbage list.

Octavian
5/26/2006, 07:49 PM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3586/3punt0sn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:rolleyes:

Were you at the game too?

A little before my time :D

I'm guessing you were though? Thats awesome.

This is a pretty good read on the GOTC (and if you have an OU football literary collection....its a must).

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2042/gotc4ak.png (http://imageshack.us)

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2006, 04:15 AM
I was there. I was a nasty little 15 yr old to the asshats with the N's on their hats after the game.

SoonerShark
5/27/2006, 07:06 AM
Superman Leap in 01 RRS.

The Rodgers' play should not be in there since it was assisted by two illegal blocks in the back by NU players. Also, the winning NU touchdown included a fumble by a NU running back (Jeff Kinney?) wrongly determined to have been after his knee was down. My late father, who died in a car accident at age 39 a couple of years after the 1971 OU-NU game, and I attended that game. I was able to attend because my grandfather was in the hospital on that Thanksgiving Day.

Flagstaffsooner
5/27/2006, 07:31 AM
The Rodgers' play should not be in there since it was assisted by two illegal blocks in the back by NU players. Also, the winning NU touchdown included a fumble by a NU running back (Jeff Kinney?) wrongly determined to have been after his knee was down. My late father, who died in a car accident at age 39 a couple of years after the 1971 OU-NU game, and I attended that game. I was able to attend because my grandfather was in the hospital on that Thanksgiving Day.I was right in front of that fumble and heard the whistle. We were robbed.
Bless your Dad, shark...He's there with Bud and knows the truth.

Remember the "Creamed Corn" banner?

tbl
5/27/2006, 08:30 AM
How can a play that didn't even happen be considered one of the greatest?????

Trailing 27-6 early in the second half, Gino Toretta hit a streaking Lamar Thomas down the sideline for an apparent Hurricanes TD. Thomas, a member of Miami's 4x400 relay team and considered one of the fastest receivers in the nation, appeared to be headed for an easy score, but DB George Teague ran Thomas down, stripped the ball and gained possession. Unfortunately for Alabama, the play was nullifed by a penalty.

tbl
5/27/2006, 08:37 AM
You can't argue with this one though... Ive never seen it from this angle. Those two sax players look like they'reabout to get shot.

http://i.a.cnn.net./si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0605/gallery.cfbtoplays2/images/top20_stanfordband.jpg

Octavian
5/27/2006, 12:30 PM
The Rodgers' play should not be in there since it was assisted by two illegal blocks in the back by NU players. Also, the winning NU touchdown included a fumble by a NU running back (Jeff Kinney?) wrongly determined to have been after his knee was down. My late father, who died in a car accident at age 39 a couple of years after the 1971 OU-NU game, and I attended that game. I was able to attend because my grandfather was in the hospital on that Thanksgiving Day.

I respect that...nevertheless, it was the most memorable play in perhaps the greatest game of all-time. Two undefeateds, #1 vs #2 late in the season. The winner was almost assured to win the NC (I think Nebraska beat Bama like 38-6 or something).

...and the eventual Heisman winner makes that play...the fact that there's controversy over it 35 years later only adds to the lore. Should it have counted? No. But it did, and it should be on any "greatest plays ever" list. JMO ;)

GottaHavePride
5/27/2006, 01:11 PM
I only saw two or three of those that should actually be on that list.

tbl
5/27/2006, 01:21 PM
Yup... Flutie, Cal, and the BYU comeback.

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 01:25 PM
the list could be in reverse and no one would know.

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 01:26 PM
Yup... Flutie, Cal, and the BYU comeback.

and Kordell Stewart at the Big House....

Sooner Schemer
5/30/2006, 01:27 PM
How can a play that didn't even happen be considered one of the greatest?????
If the Alabama DB doesn't run the receiver down and strip the ball, Miami would have declined the penalty and scored a touchdown.

sooneron
5/30/2006, 03:13 PM
You can't argue with this one though... Ive never seen it from this angle. Those two sax players look like they'reabout to get shot.

http://i.a.cnn.net./si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0605/gallery.cfbtoplays2/images/top20_stanfordband.jpg
Looked to me like one of the guys was down before they pitched the ball.