PDA

View Full Version : Odds to Win the 2007 BCS National Championship

HoustonPowercat
5/26/2006, 10:55 AM
Here are the odds for the 2007 BCS Championship...

2007 BCS National Champioship Odds (http://ksucollegefootball.blogspot.com/2006/05/odds-to-win-2007-bcs-national.html)

sooner94
5/26/2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for posting that.

Usually there are one or two clear cut favorites, but this year there a lot of teams at 10-1 or less.

I think there is a big chance that there will be only one undefeated team prior to the bowl games, maybe none.

snp
5/26/2006, 05:19 PM
How is placing a bet on 500-1 BYU any worse than placing a bet on any other 500-1 shot? They all have no chance.

tbl
5/27/2006, 08:40 AM
National Contenders
Ohio St 5-1
Notre Dame 5-1
Oklahoma 7-1
Texas 8-1
USC 10-1
Florida 10-1
West Virginia 10-1
Miami FL 15-1

Long Shots
Michigan 20-1
Auburn 25-1
Florida St 25-1
LSU 25-1
Penn St 35-1
Louisville 35-1
California 40-1
Iowa 40-1
Tennessee 40-1
Nebraska 45-1
Arizona St 45-1
Virginia Tech 50-1
Georgia 55-1
Oregon 90-1

No Shots
UCLA 100-1
Texas Tech 100-1
Texas A&M 100-1
Boston College 100-1
Arkansas 180-1
South Carolina 200-1
Clemson 200-1
Alabama 200-1
Georgia Tech 200-1
Maryland 200-1
North Carolina St 200-1
TCU 200-1
Wisconsin 200-1
Michigan St 200-1
Colorado 200-1
Arizona 200-1
Purdue 200-1
Virginia 200-1
Iowa St 300-1
Pittsburgh 300-1
North Carolina 400-1
Hawaii 450-1
Northwestern 500-1
BYU 500-1
Oregon St 500-1
Fresno St 500-1
UNLV 1000-1
Field 30-1 (Wake Forest, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Rutgers, South Florida, Syracuse, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Stanford, Washington, Washington State, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt)

tbl
5/27/2006, 08:41 AM
Guys, the stars might be lined up to take revenge on our streak busters...

SicEmBaylor
5/27/2006, 12:35 PM
Damned!
I was all ready to buy BCS tickets, but if pre-season polls say we have no chance then might as well not even try.

mrowl
5/27/2006, 12:40 PM
so what are the odds on the 2006 BCS Championship?

The Ensuing Kickoff
5/27/2006, 09:05 PM
An observation. Consider the list of favorites:

Ohio St 5-1
Notre Dame 5-1
Oklahoma 7-1
Texas 8-1
USC 10-1
Florida 10-1
West Virginia 10-1
Miami FL 15-1

As a general rule, the ship has righted in college football. THis list reads like a who's who of the finest programs in the history of the sport, save for West Virginia.

Just an observation.

oufan1
5/27/2006, 09:46 PM

Ohio St 5-1
Notre Dame 5-1
Oklahoma 7-1
Texas 8-1
USC 10-1
Florida 10-1
West Virginia 10-1
Miami FL 15-1

As a general rule, the ship has righted in college football. THis list reads like a who's who of the finest programs in the history of the sport, save for West Virginia.

Just an observation.

I dont know if Miami or Ohio State make my "finest program" list either.

SelmaBamaFan
5/27/2006, 10:14 PM
I think Florida and Miami are a little 'Johnny come lately' to be considered one of the best programs 'in the history of the sport'. However, I will say those two are in the top 5 best-of-the-last-15ish-years... could say 20 years for Miami. Infact, I'd say Miami would prolly be the #1 program over the past 20 years.

If you look at the top 5 though, then THAT could be considered some of the top tier schools in the history of the game, IMO.

StoopTroup
5/28/2006, 06:43 AM
Here are the odds for the 2007 BCS Championship...

2007 BCS National Champioship Odds (http://ksucollegefootball.blogspot.com/2006/05/odds-to-win-2007-bcs-national.html)
KSU FAN, Location: Tomball, Texas, United States, Google ad selling Notre Dame tickets...:eek:

Very confusing...you may need therapy IMO.

IronHorseSooner
5/28/2006, 09:15 AM
And the darn thing is that each one of those teams have a glaring weakness/reason why they won't make it.

tOSU: Defense. Even though Tressel is like Stoops in that his hallmark is defense, you can't just turnover 11 new guys and expect to win a MNC. The offense is flat awesome and may just try to play track meet style football.
ND: Schedule, schedule, schedule. It is brutal. Also, after speaking to a die-hard ND fan, there's a huge concern with the defensive backfield. Like tOSU, the offense should be really good.
OU: Offensive line. If it gels, then book us for the MNC. The talent is there, again, it's just a matter of cohesion. The defense might be the best in the nation (most definitely the front 7) and the WR position is stacked. AD is healthy and Bomar is getting better. Enough said.
Uterus: QB. If the Whorns believe that they can win a title with a rookie QB, they only need look at us. They do have talent everywhere else, but they also have leadership issues.
SUC: Offense. The defense will be OK, the talent will be there, but they are like us last year. Talent galore, but VERY little experience. Also, how will they deal with the off-the-field problems?

I wanted to only do the top 5. Each one of them has something in common: a coach who has won a title (with Weis- the Pats). I believe that, due to schedule and relative opponents, OU does have the best shot at the title. Outside of UO and Uterus, either the games will be at home, or the opponent has some serious talent drop off. UO is tough at home, but do they have the run defense to stop AD? OU's defense will frustrate UO, and they will be in Leaf's face all day!...No VY, no win for Uterus. AD will be pumped more than what we have EVER seen. Watch for a low-scoring game, much like 2001.

soonerloyal
5/28/2006, 10:23 AM
Watch for a low-scoring game, much like 2001.

You might be right. I gotta say though, I NEVER expect us to show a low score against the 'horns. I was raised to fully expect a "half a hundred" massacre, every time. I LOVE it when it happens.
:D

IronHorseSooner
5/28/2006, 10:40 AM
Agreed, but just trying to be cautious. I believe if we have a chance, Coach will gladly continue the beatings.

Flagstaffsooner
5/28/2006, 11:18 AM
Guys, the stars might be lined up to take revenge on our streak busters...Folks, this guy has it.

MiccoMacey
5/28/2006, 12:53 PM
I'd love an OU-ND match-up for the title. And the media would eat that up, too.

The Ensuing Kickoff
5/28/2006, 02:08 PM
OUFan1: On what planet would Ohio State not be on the list of the greatest programs?

I'm no big Ohio State fan, but to argue that they would not be in the top 5-10 is like admitting that you don't follow college football. One more time, here's the list of the top ten programs of all time, in order. This is non-negotiable:

1. Notre Dame
2. Oklahoma
3. Alabama
4. Nebraska
5. Michigan
6. Ohio State
7. USC
8. Texas
9. Miami
10. Florida State

This is The List. The only spot that is really changeable over less than 10 years is Number 10. Consider this list like the UN Security Council of College Football - the real powers are permanent, and Florida State is like the little nation that rotates in and out every couple of years. Like Estonia or Micronesia or Andorra.

Anyway, see how Ohio State is No. 6? Remember that. That means they are one of the best programs of all time.

MiccoMacey
5/28/2006, 02:14 PM
One more time, here's the list of the top ten programs of all time, in order. This is non-negotiable:...

Is this a list based on all-time wins? Because otherwise, this is an opinion, which is open to debate and negotiations.

How can anyone say any list of "greatest ______" of all-time is definitive?

I think tOSU should be on the greatest programs list, but people can have differing opinions.

soonerloyal
5/28/2006, 06:46 PM
Twenty-five years ago, Florida State University was on the verge of shutting down their football program. Tell me how that makes them even close to the football dynasties that are OU, Notre Dame and Nebraska???

MiccoMacey
5/28/2006, 07:15 PM
Twenty-five years ago, Florida State University was on the verge of shutting down their football program. Tell me how that makes them even close to the football dynasties that are OU, Notre Dame and Nebraska???

Probably not top tier teams like OU, Notre Dame or Nebraska, but an argument could be made for lower tier (especially if Miami is in that group).

Something like 14 top 4 finishes in 14 years is pretty unbelievable.

tbl
5/29/2006, 10:10 AM
1. Notre Dame
2. Oklahoma
3. Alabama
4. Nebraska
5. Michigan
6. Ohio State
7. USC
8. Texas
9. Miami
10. Florida State

I think most could agree on this list, but to say they're in that order and ther earen't any arguments is a little dumb. You could easily arrange any of those teams outside of 1, 2, & 3, IMO.

OUfan7
5/29/2006, 12:09 PM
What is this list based on, total wins, winning pct. or what???

KingDavid
5/29/2006, 04:42 PM

Ohio St 5-1
Notre Dame 5-1
Oklahoma 7-1
Texas 8-1
USC 10-1
Florida 10-1
West Virginia 10-1
Miami FL 15-1

Just an observation.

In terms of storied programs, it's missing:

Alabama
Nebraska
Penn State
Michigan
Florida State

On another note, for the bored off-season post-er, here's my top five college football programs of all time (no order):

Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Alabama
USC

Notice that there are only four . . . because I couldn't in fairness name a fifth without introducing a massive debate. Those first four are beyond question "in". The arguments for the 5th spot introduce the second tier, which I've tried to put in some sort of order:

Texas
Ohio St.
Penn State
Nebraska
Michigan
Miami
Florida State (barely makes it into this tier)

I can see argumentst for putting Miami higher up, but the point is that this is the second tier. The third tier is below:

Nevermind. Who give a crap about the third tier?

IronHorseSooner
5/29/2006, 06:29 PM
On another note, for the bored off-season post-er, here's my top five college football programs of all time (no order):

Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Alabama
USC

Notice that there are only four . . . because I couldn't in fairness name a fifth without introducing a massive debate. Those first four are beyond question "in". The arguments for the 5th spot introduce the second tier, which I've tried to put in some sort of order:

Texas
Ohio St.
Penn State
Nebraska
Michigan
Miami
Florida State (barely makes it into this tier)

I would put that as follows:
1. OU
2. ND
3. 'Bama
4. USC
5. Ohio St.
6. Michigan
7. Nebraska
8. Miami
9. Texas
10. Penn State

FSU is a Johnny-Come-Lately with 2 MNCs...OU and ND could swap places and I would have no argument. It would be great to see that match-up in the BCS Championship this year. There could be some argument between 3 and 4 as well. tOSU is a natural 5 due to MNCs and Heisman winners. After that, UM, Nebbish, and Miami are easier choices due to MNCs. Uterus is there with two MNCs and their Heismans. PSU has had longer success than has FSU.

The Ensuing Kickoff
5/30/2006, 07:52 PM
To Micco, Lebowski, and anyone else questioning the above list by me:

1. This is based not on total wins overall, but on the fact that these are the top 10 programs, in order, of all time. Didn't I already say that? Geez.

2. It is, after all, the off season.