PDA

View Full Version : US Capitol

Mjcpr
5/26/2006, 09:54 AM
Shots fired? What's going on there? Just saw Breaking News on CNN website.

:eek:

slickdawg
5/26/2006, 09:55 AM
Capitol police investigating reports of sounds of possible shots fired in garage at Rayburn House Office Building. Scene outside Capitol live now on CNN Pipeline.

Sooner in Tampa
5/26/2006, 09:55 AM
Dean is in DC???

mdklatt
5/26/2006, 09:56 AM
One of the Kennedys must have taken some Ambien again....

slickdawg
5/26/2006, 09:58 AM
Dean is in DC???

ROTFL! spek!!

picasso
5/26/2006, 10:01 AM
This calls for another oversight committee!

slickdawg
5/26/2006, 10:02 AM
I bet it's messicans.

Fugue
5/26/2006, 10:04 AM
Dean is in DC???

ew :eddie:

BeetDigger
5/26/2006, 10:04 AM
If it's the same police that are working on the Chandra Levy case, I doubt if we will ever know for sure if there were shots fired.

colleyvillesooner
5/26/2006, 10:05 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/26/house.shots/index.html
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/POLITICS/05/26/house.shots/newt1.street.wusa.jpg

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Capitol Police said Friday they were investigating reports of shots fired in the garage of the Rayburn Office Building, where members of the House have their offices.

The entire Capitol complex has been locked down, CNN's Dana Bash reported.

Tunnels connect all of the buildings in the complex.

Rep. Peter Hoekstra, R-Michigan, was conducting a House Intelligence Committee hearing at the time, according to an Associated Press report. Hoekstra interrupted a witness to tell those at the hearing to remain in the room and said doors must be closed.

"It's a little unsettling to get a Blackberry message put in front of you that says there's gunfire in the building," he told AP.

Sooner in Tampa
5/26/2006, 10:09 AM
Did somebody tell Cheney that there was a lawyer in the parking garage?

OUDoc
5/26/2006, 10:10 AM
Great picture on the website, CNN. Really tells me the whole story. :rolleyes:

yermom
5/26/2006, 10:12 AM
sweet, i'll be there in a few weeks.

Sooner in Tampa
5/26/2006, 10:14 AM
sweet, i'll be there in a few weeks.make sure to wear plenty of hunters orange :D

yermom
5/26/2006, 10:15 AM
well, maybe my train will lose power on the way there :D

colleyvillesooner
5/26/2006, 10:19 AM
Great picture on the website, CNN. Really tells me the whole story. :rolleyes:

Heh:
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/POLITICS/05/26/house.shots/newt1.capitol.ns.wusa.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
5/26/2006, 11:03 AM
Capital Police have arrested a bald bad man wearing a pink baseball cap.

JohnnyMack
5/26/2006, 11:04 AM
Capital Police have arrested a bald bad man wearing a pink baseball cap who is feverishly updating his MySpace page on his laptop.

Cool.

1stTimeCaller
5/26/2006, 11:07 AM
rut roh.

Wait a minute. Carolina Sooner fan is talking about Dean!!!!!

opksooner
5/26/2006, 11:09 AM
Prolly some 2nd Amendment folk exercising their Constitutional rights, by gawd.

colleyvillesooner
5/26/2006, 02:16 PM
Oops:

Sources: Capitol 'gunfire' likely from air hammer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Law-enforcement sources at the Capitol said Friday that suspected sounds of gunshots heard in a House office building were made by a mechanic using a pneumatic hammer on an elevator, security expert Mike Brooks reported.

"It looks like this is going to be the source of the noise that they heard," Brooks said.

Nevertheless, police continued a room-by-room search of the Rayburn building, where some members of the House have their offices.

"At 10:30 this morning, we received a report of shots fired inside the Rayburn garage," Sgt. Kimberly Schneider, a public information officer for the Capitol Police, said.

Armed officers were searching "the old-fashioned way," Schneider said, going door-to-door checking the 50 acres of office space in the 169 suites in the building. (Watch lawmaker tell colleagues of gunshot report -- 1:03)

CNN's Brian Todd reported at 1:30 p.m. that law enforcement officials said the search of the Rayburn building was "winding down."

Earlier, officials said two women reported a man with a gun inside a Rayburn gym.

A senior law enforcement source told Todd that police were investigating the possibility that the man may have been a plainclothes officer.

A woman was taken by ambulance from the House staff gym to the hospital during the lockdown, said David All, a spokesman for Rep. Jack Kingston, R-Georgia.

"She was not injured or shot, just a little shaken up under the circumstances," All said. "We have been in contact with our colleague and she is doing well."

CNN's Dana Bash said the Capitol was reopened by 12:45 p.m.

Business continued as usual on the Senate side, Bash said. (Capitol area)

The alert came moments after a press conference held by Rep. John Sensenbrenner on immigration, CNN producer Deidre Walsh said.

"We saw several Capitol Hill police officers running quickly down the hallway," she said. Soon after that an announcement was made throughout the building.

'No one's panicking'
Rep. Peter Hoekstra, R-Michigan, was conducting a House Intelligence Committee hearing at the time.

Hoekstra interrupted a witness to tell those at the hearing to remain in the room and said doors must be closed.

"It's a little unsettling to get a Blackberry message put in front of you that says there's gunfire in the building," he said.

"They said they heard gunfire in the Rayburn garage, but this is a huge building, I'm guessing it's a car backfiring or balloons popping," Gene Smith, chief of staff to Rep. Howard Berman, D-California, told The Associated Press. Berman has an office in Rayburn.

Rayburn halls were virtually empty and police were not allowing anyone to leave or take elevators or stairs to the garage, the AP reported.

"No one's panicking, everyone's calm," Charles Isom, spokesman for Rep. Chris Cannon, R-Utah, told AP. "It did ruin some people's lunch plans."

Copyright 2006 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

OUinFLA
5/26/2006, 02:19 PM
hmm, nothing lethal about an air hammer...................oh, wait a minute!

JohnnyMack
5/26/2006, 02:46 PM
hmm, nothing lethal about an air hammer...................oh, wait a minute!

Why do you hate Danny Glover?

BeetDigger
5/26/2006, 02:51 PM
So some dude made national news today and has no idea. I can see it now. He's home watching the news, sipping a High Life when the story comes on. He says "Wow, look at that. I was at that building today working. I didn't hear a thing. Good thing no one was there with a real gun cause I never would have heard them. What with the jackhammer and all."