PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Fix the Royals?

AllAboutThe'O'
5/25/2006, 10:56 PM
And no short answers like "Contract them" or "Replace owners." Provide at least a valid, thoughtful reason.
Here's the first thing I would do:

Hire a sound baseball man with plenty of experience as general manager, one that is unafraid to take risks and one that even the owner will defer to. Essentially a John Schuerholz running the show for the Braves instead of Ted Turner-type. Ironically, Schuerholz went to the Braves from the Royals. I wasn't a big John Hart fan near the end of his tenure with the Rangers, but Hart is better served building a team from the ground up instead of inheriting a contender (see the job he did with the Indians). Hart running the Royals would make good sense.

Find a proven winner to manage the club. No more Buddy Bell retreads. Jim Leyland would have been a good fit with the Royals, and now you see what he's doing with the Tigers. KC could even set their eyes on a top-notch assistant who knows something about success, a la Bob Stoops. Ozzie Guillen is a perfect example.

Go with youth. Don't go after any overpaid past-their-prime veterans. Go with youth. Bite the bullet for a couple of years but reap the benefits down the road (and besides, at this point, what have they got to lose going that route?).

That's a start right there.

Scott D
5/25/2006, 10:57 PM
I'd relegate them to Triple A. The Youth movement was tried last year....their GM just well, isn't very good...and why anyone would give Buddy Bell another chance is beyond me...the guy sucks as a manager.

mrowl
5/26/2006, 08:00 AM
They can have Buck Showalter after this season. I have the Rangers booked in the '07 world series.

Paperclip
5/26/2006, 08:36 AM
The Buck Showalter idea isn't a bad one. Building seems to be his forte.
The day the Tigers hired Dombrowski I did a happy dance. Leyland is pushing the right buttons right now, but Dombrowski is who gave him the buttons to push. He gave the Marlins a World Series and now he's producing (hopefully) another winner in Detroit. I'm not saying the Tigers are going to win the World Series, but obviously they're much better than they've been.