PDA

View Full Version : Cross Dressing HS Student Banned From Prom

VeeJay
5/25/2006, 01:15 PM
It's a lovely dress, actually (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12958618/)

Metrosexual!

Rogue
5/25/2006, 01:17 PM
Nevermind.

White House Boy
5/25/2006, 01:18 PM
I'm sure his father is very proud.

Flagstaffsooner
5/25/2006, 01:30 PM
College bound to austin!

soonerbrat
5/25/2006, 01:32 PM
he's pretty

walkoffsooner
5/25/2006, 01:35 PM
I see lawsuit.

White House Boy
5/25/2006, 01:37 PM
he's pretty

Might I suggest this:
http://www.hometrainingtools.com/tbimages/12192.lg.jpg

Melo
5/25/2006, 01:40 PM
This thread needs some of those 'ghetto couples' prom pictures. :)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/25/2006, 01:44 PM
Oh good grief. When I was in HS some of the guys complained they couldn't wear their Wranglers to Prom.

Widescreen
5/25/2006, 01:46 PM
fuchsia.

One of the better words in the English language.

sooneron
5/25/2006, 01:47 PM
Oh good grief. When I was in HS some of the guys complained they couldn't wear their Wranglers to Prom.
Hillbilly!

I always thought it was amusing to see the Washington/Goldsby/Blanchard/Tuttle/Noble crowd at the mall on Prom night. Usually having some fine dining at El Chico or Chick Fil A!

VeeJay
5/25/2006, 01:49 PM
Back in my day, and I didn't go to HS with a crop of Harvard-bound students, you played sports or you were gay. If you weren't athletically inclined you better know how to fight, or be on drugs a lot. Otherwise, the only group left were the gays. Gays were "all others." To say it was homophobic was an understatement.

So, this guy wouldn't have even freekin' survived his senior year, much less made it to the prom.

Ah...growing up in Mississippi in the 70's...

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 01:50 PM
Do schools pay for the proms or do the students? I think the juniors raised the money to pay for ours each year.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/25/2006, 01:52 PM
Hillbilly!

I always thought it was amusing to see the Washington/Goldsby/Blanchard/Tuttle/Noble crowd at the mall on Prom night. Usually having some fine dining at El Chico or Chick Fil A!No, I went to Westmoore. If you weren't wearing a tux or a custom made dress you weren't getting in.

Pricetag
5/25/2006, 01:53 PM
My junior year of high school there was a big flap because a lesbian girl wanted to dress in a tux and bring her girlfriend, who wore a dress. They were allowed to go, and chaos did not ensue.

I can understand the whole "no dresses on guys" policy, though, because you'd have jokers trying to do it every year. Every time the football team had a "humor" skit at a pep rally, it involved at least one of them dressing in drag.

Howzit
Stan'd hit it.

Mjcpr
No, I went to Westmoore. If you weren't wearing a tux or a custom made dress you weren't getting any.

That's why the introduction of alcohol to the equation is very important.

Melo
5/25/2006, 01:54 PM
Do schools pay for the proms or do the students? I think the juniors raised the money to pay for ours each year.

In HS, our class spent thre years making money for prom, and if you didnt make enough money, you paid high ticket prices to pay for it.

But then again, we had our prom in downtown Houston. In the Hyatt, or something like that. No gym or cafeteria proms for us.

Flagstaffsooner
5/25/2006, 01:56 PM
Hillbilly!

I always thought it was amusing to see the Washington/Goldsby/Blanchard/Tuttle/Noble crowd at the mall on Prom night. Usually having some fine dining at El Chico or Chick Fil A!Food court prom. Were they wearing Barney Fife suits?

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 02:06 PM
Good Lord, thats just sad. The school shoulda kicked his *** out the first time he wore a dress to school, so its there own damn fault now.

proud gonzo
5/25/2006, 02:24 PM
That dress is more tasteful than what most GIRLS wore to my prom. I know a couple (straight) who crossdressed for prom. it's absolutely retarded that he was turned away. things like this **** me off.

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 02:28 PM
Its amazing to see someone actually defend this BS.

Its no wonder our public schools are turning to ****.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 02:28 PM
it's easier to focus on these non-issues than it is on real issues regarding schools.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 02:31 PM
Its amazing to see someone actually defend this BS.

Its no wonder our public schools are turning to ****.

the BS of the school not letting someone participate in an activity based on their clothing?

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 02:40 PM
the BS of the school not letting someone participate in an activity based on their clothing?
Yes, its called decency, and also called violating a school rule, both of which the school has kindly let him violate for a while it seems.

Its also a good lesson on how the real world works, with dress codes in the business world and such. But then again those types of things don't seem to matter in many schools today, does it??

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 02:43 PM
it's easier to focus on these non-issues than it is on real issues regarding schools.
This is just symptom of the larger issue, the collapse of the family, which is infecting the schools, which is leading to an overall decline in our society.

TUSooner
5/25/2006, 02:52 PM
I have no formal pictures, no memories, nothing. You only have one prom."

He'll hafta settle for the newspaper photos and the internet pics.
But I'm with pg & 1stTC on this, let him in - as long as the dress is is up to code. Hey's not hurting anybody, he's just weird. If the other kids have seen him in drag all year it's not like seeing him in drag at the prom will kill them or scar them for life. And keeping him out and heaping more ridicule to the guy will not, WILL NOT, advance family values.

Having said that, I probably wouldn't sit by him. But that's just me.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 02:53 PM
Good Lord, thats just sad. The school shoulda kicked his *** out the first time he wore a dress to school, so its there own damn fault now.

What do you think they should do to kids that talk back to teachers and use alcohol and/or drugs at school? Put em on an IEP or kick them out like you think we should do to boys that wear dresses and girls that wear jeans. Or can women wear jeans to school now, is that OK?

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 02:53 PM
He'll hafta settle for the newspaper photos and the internet pics.
But I'm with pg & 1stTC on this, let him in - as long as the dress is is up to code. Hey's not hurting anybody, he's just weird. If the other kids have seen him in drag all year it's not like seeing him in drag at the prom will kill them or scar them for life. And keeping him out and heaping more ridicule to the guy will not, WILL NOT, advance family values.

Having said that, I probably wouldn't sit by him. But that's just me.

but wouldja dance with him? ;)

TUSooner
5/25/2006, 03:07 PM
but wouldja dance with him? ;)
no

Howzit
5/25/2006, 03:08 PM
no

Racist.

;)

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 03:10 PM
How can anyone from NOLA feign shock and astonishment at this?

:D

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 03:17 PM
What do you think they should do to kids that talk back to teachers and use alcohol and/or drugs at school?
They should use common sense and call the cops if they have drugs or alcohol. Its called the law dude.

Put em on an IEP or kick them out like you think we should do to boys that wear dresses and girls that wear jeans. Or can women wear jeans to school now, is that OK?

Last I checked, woman wearing pants doesn't = crossdressing, being an attention whore, shoving his "gender/sexuality issues" on his school mates there to learn or violate school rules, like a dude wearing a dress does.

I wonder, do you want your kid going to school seeing kids crossdressing everyday?

White House Boy
5/25/2006, 03:19 PM
The real reason "he" was denied admission to the prom?

"His" date:

http://pics.worldofautographs.com/julia%20sweeney%20pat%20SNL%20(jd).jpg

Scott D
5/25/2006, 03:19 PM
you probably hated the kids with the spiky mohawks that wore fatigue jackets and combat boots too eh Tuba?

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 03:20 PM
way to attack the weakest part of the argument and ignore the rest.

Should this person be put on an IEP like troublemakers and druggies are?

I don't have kids but why the hell not? Even at lil ole Chickasha high in 1997 we had a few weirdos that wore makeup, black lipstick and white powder on their faces. I'm talking about dudes doing this and somehow I managed to maintain my heterosexuality.

TUSooner
5/25/2006, 03:20 PM
How can anyone from NOLA feign shock and astonishment at this?

Yeah, transvestites and underage drinking, really make me want to. . . yawn

DISCLAIMER: Public cross-dressing is not rampant throughout the New Orleans metropolitan area.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 03:22 PM

DISCLAIMER: Public cross-dressing is not rampant throughout the New Orleans metropolitan area.
what about the Federal Courthouse? I hear that that place is nuts.

;)

*especially when it's windy...

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 03:23 PM

Sensitive bunch, aintcha?

:(

TUSooner
5/25/2006, 03:23 PM
Last I checked, woman wearing pants doesn't = crossdressing, being an attention whore, shoving his "gender/sexuality issues" on his school mates there to learn or violate school rules, like a dude wearing a dress does.
Women in pants used to be scandalous.
And since when is being an "attention whore" a crime? Sheesh, they'd have to jail the entire SO for that.

SweetheartSooner
5/25/2006, 03:30 PM
Hillbilly!

I always thought it was amusing to see the Washington/Goldsby/Blanchard/Tuttle/Noble crowd at the mall on Prom night. Usually having some fine dining at El Chico or Chick Fil A!

Hey! I resent that comment! :les: ;)

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 03:33 PM
way to attack the weakest part of the argument and ignore the rest.

Should this person be put on an IEP like troublemakers and druggies are?

I answered your question, and frankly the whole thing was weak, not just one part of it.

Oh, and IEP's are not for "troublemakers and druggies".

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 03:36 PM
I answered your question, and frankly the whole thing was weak, not just one part of it.

Oh, and IEP's are not for "troublemakers and druggies".

hmmmmmmm, I seem to remember you creating a thread about a troublemaker and druggie and asking about IEPs.

am I wrong?

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 03:38 PM
you probably hated the kids with the spiky mohawks that wore fatigue jackets and combat boots too eh Tuba?
No, it was fun to see.

Can't say I ever saw a cross dresser though.

Maybe next we can just have nudists at school! The child sex abusing teachers would love that! Myspace would be rockin!

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 03:39 PM
hmmmmmmm, I seem to remember you creating a thread about a troublemaker and druggie and asking about IEPs.

am I wrong?

My brother?

Dude, are you ****ing kidding? Do you have a clue what an IEP even is?

I suggest you get some ****ing facts down about what an IEP is before you start making this personal.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 03:44 PM
Individual
Education
Plan

need anymore facts?

was I wrong?

Thanks.

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 03:53 PM
Individual
Education
Plan

need anymore facts?

was I wrong?

Thanks.
Thanks for looking up what IEP stands for finally.

If you do a bit more of your research, you might find its for kids with learning disabilities, which my brother is because of his sever case of ADHD.

But I guess you already knew that, since in YOUR world, every kid with a learning disability = druggie troublemaker huh?

Nice.
:rolleyes:

Scott D
5/25/2006, 04:08 PM
No, it was fun to see.

Maybe next we can just have nudists at school! The child sex abusing teachers would love that! Myspace would be rockin!

yeah, I'm sure the decline of civilization as we know it is happening because a kid wore a dress to school. one of the friends of the combat boot fatigue guys more than likely wore a skirt....that age is the age where they try to express as much individuality as possible if they can.

Would you be as outraged if the kid was trying to wear a kilt?

Octavian
5/25/2006, 04:15 PM
Its called decency

Do you really believe your perception of decency should be law in all instances?

As TU pointed out, women in jeans/pants is a fairly new social norm. As late as the early 1960s, female OU students were required to wear skirts or dresses to class.

Somehow, America has survived and prospered after abolition, women's suffrage, the Civil Rights Movement, and a host of other sociocultural changes that were said to be the death of the future. There was a time in the 20th century when cosmetics were considered diabolical.

Change has always been described as the "downfall of society" by the social conservative movement throughout American history.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 04:16 PM
My mom was a HS counselor. I'm very familiar with what IEPs are and who they get made for.

I went to school with quite a few kids that had IEPs and not a one of them, well a few of them did, caused trouble at school. Not one of them was kicked out.

Everyone nowadays has an excuse for their actions. I forgot that. But by all means, lets keep the troublemakers in school and the non-normal dressing kids can go F themselves because they don't have a lobbiest working for them.

Howzit
5/25/2006, 04:22 PM
I think we need to all take a deep breath and have a cookie.

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 04:23 PM
I think we need to all take a deep breath and have a cookie.

What's your cell number......I need to call you real quick.

Howzit
5/25/2006, 04:24 PM
How 'bout I give you Stan's and he calls Chick and she sends a peem? 'Cause those smell goooood.

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 04:26 PM
How 'bout I give you Stan's and he calls Chick and she relays the message?

That'll work too......you two just waking up?

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 04:26 PM
What do her phone calls smell like?

Howzit
5/25/2006, 04:27 PM
That'll work too......you two just waking up?

dammit.

Stanley's never gonna move my stuff now.

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 04:30 PM
What do her phone calls smell like?

Oddly enough, coffee and cigarettes.

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 04:30 PM
dammit.

Stanley's never gonna move my junk now.

I bet he could do it without lifting a finger.

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:35 PM
Its also a good lesson on how the real world works, with dress codes in the business world and such.

In the real world you also have to learn get along with people who are different than you. That lesson obviously isn't getting taught everywhere.

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:37 PM
Yes, its called decency

What's indecent about it? A guy wearing a dress is obscene to you? Wow.

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:43 PM
I wonder, do you want your kid going to school seeing kids crossdressing everyday?

If I wanted to keep my kids in a protective bubble until they were 18 I'd home school them.

If I wanted to extend it a few years I'd send them to Baylor. :D

TUSooner
5/25/2006, 04:49 PM
Hey Tuba-
Do you have any kids? If so, how old are they?
I have learned in 17+ years that this Yogi Berra quote is true about parenting:

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Octavian
5/25/2006, 04:50 PM
If I wanted to keep my kids in a protective bubble until they were 18 I'd home school them.

If I wanted to extend it a few years I'd send them to Baylor or Oklahoma State :D

;)

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:55 PM
;)

What they do to farm animals at OSU just ain't right. :eek:

NormanPride
5/25/2006, 05:10 PM
Tuba's just pis$ed because Kevin looked prettier in fuchsia.

SicEmBaylor
5/25/2006, 06:33 PM

If I wanted to extend it a few years I'd send them to Baylor. :D

Who could possibly examine the greatness that is SicEmBaylor and say, "that boy is sheltered?"

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 06:34 PM
Who could possibly examine the greatness that is SicEmBaylor and say, "that boy is sheltered?"

*cough* flat tire *cough*

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 07:49 PM
Do you really believe your perception of decency should be law in all instances?

Its called social norms man, look it up.

If some dude wants to go around crossdressing, let him do it at a friggin drag show or gay bar.

I think its telling that cross dressers at schools are OK, but God isn't.

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 07:51 PM
My mom was a HS counselor. I'm very familiar with what IEPs are and who they get made for.

I went to school with quite a few kids that had IEPs and not a one of them, well a few of them did, caused trouble at school. Not one of them was kicked out.

Everyone nowadays has an excuse for their actions. I forgot that. But by all means, lets keep the troublemakers in school and the non-normal dressing kids can go F themselves because they don't have a lobbiest working for them.
Glad you are familier with them. I just adopted a 16 year old and am dealing with it personally, so don't give me your BS about IEP kids being druggies and such because it really ****es me off.

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 07:52 PM
In the real world you also have to learn get along with people who are different than you. That lesson obviously isn't getting taught everywhere.
Obviously.

If that were the case, the prayer @ football games might not be against the law now.

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 07:55 PM
Hey Tuba-
Do you have any kids? If so, how old are they?
I have learned in 17+ years that this Yogi Berra quote is true about parenting:

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
I have no kids of my own yet, however I have adopted my 16 year old brother.

JohnnyMack
5/25/2006, 07:56 PM
No, it was fun to see.

http://www.boukephalos.com/Singularity/images/One-Giant-Leap.gif

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 08:01 PM
You can bet your *** Neil wasn't sporting a blouse in his spacesuit.

royalfan5
5/25/2006, 08:12 PM
You can bet your *** Neil wasn't sporting a blouse in his spacesuit.
Of course J. Edgar Hoover was probably watching with a blouse on.

OklahomaTuba
5/25/2006, 08:14 PM
Of course J. Edgar Hoover was probably watching with a blouse on.

Octavian
5/25/2006, 08:34 PM
Its called social norms man, look it up.

If some dude wants to go around crossdressing, let him do it at a friggin drag show or gay bar.

social norms...I believe I mentioned them by name in the next paragraph of the post you quoted.

and then refuted your argument.

TUSooner
5/25/2006, 08:41 PM
I have no kids of my own yet, however I have adopted my 16 year old brother.
I had my 15yo bro-in-law living with me for a few years. It's a learning experience, fer sure!

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 09:05 PM

Maybe if Ann and Rush repeat this enough times it will become true one day. :rolleyes:

Kempner High School (http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/campuses/khs/ActivityDetail.cfm?activityIndex=12030)

Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Please join us every Friday morning in T-6 for fun, fellowship and God's word.

See You At The Pole (http://www.syatp.com/info/faq.html#anchor4)

4. Is See You at the Pole legal? What about the separation of Church and State?

The answer to this question is a firm "Yes!" The right of students to gather and pray outside of instructional time—while at school—is clearly a Constitutionally protected form of free speech. This has been affirmed in regard to "Equal Access Clubs" by the 1990 U.S. Supreme Court Westside Community Schools v. Mergens decision. And in 1995, President Bill Clinton directed then-Secretary of Education, Richard Riley, to prepare guidelines for what the government deemed "appropriate religious expression on school grounds." These guidelines were issued and upheld by the government several times since. In them, See You at the Pole is specifically named as legal, appropriate, and protected:

"Students may also participate in before or after school events with religious content, such as "see you at the flag pole" gatherings, on the same terms as they may participate in other noncurriculum activities on school premises. School officials may neither discourage nor encourage participation in such an event."

It should be noted that among the legal groups which affirmed the legality of See You at the Pole by drafting the USDOE guidelines were the Christian Legal Society, American Civil Liberties Union, the Anti-Defamation League, National Council of Churches, National Association of Evangelicals, and People for the American Way, as well as six others.

Damn the Anti Christian League of Un-Americans! Wait a minute....

royalfan5
5/25/2006, 09:12 PM
Maybe if Ann and Rush repeat this enough times it will become true one day. :rolleyes:

Kempner High School (http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/campuses/khs/ActivityDetail.cfm?activityIndex=12030)
Speaking of FCA. At my Undergraduate college, the schools FCA chapter decided to reach out to the greeks. They sent us all flyers for a special event which included language to the effect of "ladies put on your Pearl Necklaces" Me and my fellow fraternatity brothers had a good chuckle over the double entrdre.