PDA

View Full Version : Finally a step in the right direction!!!

oumartin
5/25/2006, 09:12 AM
Congress bars military funeral protesters

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525/ap_on_go_co/military_funerals

BoogercountySooner
5/25/2006, 09:13 AM
About time!

Osce0la
5/25/2006, 09:15 AM
People who protest at a funeral should be shot. If you don't agree with the war, that is one thing, but to protest at a funeral of a fallen soldier? It's disguisting.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 09:16 AM
so we really don't like what the 1st Amendment says?

just playing devil's advocate, kinda.

oumartin
5/25/2006, 09:18 AM
I have two little boys and this world scares me cuz they both have a good chance of having to serve whether they want to or not.
I believe we really need to get a grip on this country and whats going on and get back to what made this country great we might end up fighting for it all over again. I'm not talking about fighting for other countries freedom. I'm talking about fighting for our freedom!

oumartin
5/25/2006, 09:20 AM
and those people that abuse that first amendment right are taking for granted what it took to gain them those rights. I for one am glad that these men that have served can be laid to rest in peace. just my opinion

slickdawg
5/25/2006, 09:23 AM

there's no devil's advocate here bruh, the guys and gals being buried
fought to defend and preserve the very freedom that the protesters
are using in a totally disrespectful sense.

I'd put a couple of rounds in each one of 'em, if it were up to me.

IronSooner
5/25/2006, 09:26 AM

I'm all for the 1st, but holy crap, have some freaking decency. Go two or three blocks away and protest. Do people really think that's a viable way to get their message across? People are amazing.

NormanPride
5/25/2006, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I'm all for the 1st, but we already have obscenity laws. This is obscene, IMO.

walkoffsooner
5/25/2006, 09:34 AM
I wish it was all cemetaries.

Howzit
5/25/2006, 09:35 AM
Seems to me that these sorry a-holes not being allowed to spew their venom at a service-person's funeral does not keep them from saying what they want, just where they say it. No one says they can't speak their mind and hold their beliefs, this is an issue of location.

yermom
5/25/2006, 09:36 AM
I'm all for the 1st, but holy crap, have some freaking decency. Go two or three blocks away and protest. Do people really think that's a viable way to get their message across? People are amazing.

they know they will get media coverage

i'm still not quite sure what they are accomplishing with this

are there really people that see them and want to join their "church"?

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 09:36 AM
I say that we pass a law that says 'People can say and/or do anything that they want to as long as I agree with their message and/or actions.' * unless it is in their home or some other pre-approved location.

Why do you hate freedom of speech?

**edit** I think these guys deserve to be beaten to death for what they are doing but I just don't like losing Liberty for a little comfort.

slickdawg
5/25/2006, 09:40 AM
I say that we pass a law that says 'People can say and/or do anything that they want to as long as I agree with their message and/or actions.'

Why do you hate freedom of speech?

I love freedom of speech, but what about respect and dignity for the
families, friends and the dead?

What about protestors at the upcoming funerals for Bill Clinton or
either of the George Bush's? Would that be ok? Protestors at the Pope's funeral? How about after the next school shooting? Next police officer
that dies in the line of duty?

oumartin
5/25/2006, 09:40 AM
Why do you hate me

cuz its so darn easy ;)

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 09:41 AM
Why not?

Can you legislate respect and dignity?

Do you really want Congress to legislate respect and dignity?

Howzit
5/25/2006, 09:42 AM
How many times are you going to edit that post?

;)

yermom
5/25/2006, 09:42 AM
i have to admit, i did have the thought that next would be that W starts bringing a GWOT memorial everywhere he goes and thus forming a buffer in which anyone protesting is now in violation of said law :P

kinda like we will be able to say we are "at war" as long as we want now

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 09:43 AM
twice in total, I'm done :D

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 09:43 AM
Let the *********s protest wherever they want. Make it legal to beat the everloving **** out of them if they're doing it at a funeral. Win-win.

slickdawg
5/25/2006, 09:46 AM
It's actaully a statement of how sh*tty society as a whole has become.

If someone had protested at a military funeral from WWII, they'd have been
killed, and no investigation for the "crime".

I don't think the founding fathers had a clue how far people and lawyers
would stretch the very foundations of what they established.

Do you think for one second that they considered defining marriage as
between a man and a woman? If they had insight into today, they would have.

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 09:47 AM
I love freedom of speech, but what about respect and dignity for the
families, friends and the dead?

You can't legislate respect.

What about protestors at the upcoming funerals for Bill Clinton or
either of the George Bush's? Would that be ok? Protestors at the Pope's funeral? How about after the next school shooting? Next police officer
that dies in the line of duty?

It's not illegal to be an *******. As soon as we cross that line everybody is in trouble.

oumartin
5/25/2006, 09:48 AM
I'd spek you if I could sickdawg!
great post.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 09:48 AM

When did the FF become Saints? They were as flawed back then as we are today.

*edit* every generation since Socrates has bemoaned the lack of respect the younger generation has for society.

Sooner in Tampa
5/25/2006, 09:50 AM
1TC...I am all over the 1st Amendment. I have even conceded that there shot NOT be an Amendment banning flag burning. If some little liberal ********** wants to burn my countries flag...go ahead...and you must suffer the repercussions if someone decides to kick youi @ss. If not...so be it.

Me MUST respect the dead. Whether they are military or not really shouldn't matter. But let me assure you...if I am at a military funeral and there are protesters...we are all gonna make the news. Bank on it!!! These men and women have families that are grieving and they don't deserve to listen to some pompous a$$hole spewing hate.

I think that it is sad that it has to be made into a law. We should have more respect for our fallen warriors who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country. They don't make the rules...they follow them...take your holier than thou a$$ to Washington and protest...that's where the laws/policy/rules are made!

yermom
5/25/2006, 09:53 AM

50 years ago it would have been expected for a mob of people to attack them and probably kill them... now it's just the news people there to cover it

if there were no constant nationwide news coverage they probably would be dead ;)

of course they would not be there either, probably... on the reverse, the TV news coverage is how the Civil Rights movement was successful

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2006, 09:54 AM
1TC...I am all over the 1st Amendment. I have even conceded that there shot NOT be an Amendment banning flag burning. If some little liberal ********** wants to burn my countries flag...go ahead...and you must suffer the repercussions if someone decides to kick youi @ss. If not...so be it.

Me MUST respect the dead. Whether they are military or not really shouldn't matter. But let me assure you...if I am at a military funeral and there are protesters...we are all gonna make the news. Bank on it!!! These men and women have families that are grieving and they don't deserve to listen to some pompous a$$hole spewing hate.

I think that it is sad that it has to be made into a law. We should have more respect for our fallen warriors who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country. They don't make the rules...they follow them...take your holier than thou a$$ to Washington and protest...that's where the laws/policy/rules are made!

I agree 100%.

I'm just feeling frisky today and was in the mood to have a good, peaceful argument. I'll bow out of this fight.

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 09:55 AM

Why do we have to enslave ourselves to the original intent of the founding fathers? The First Amendment is not worth defending simply because it was written down 200 years ago; it's worth defending because it's still a damn good idea.

oumartin
5/25/2006, 09:55 AM
why can't eveyone get along

Sooner in Tampa
5/25/2006, 09:57 AM
I agree 100%.

I'm just feeling frisky today and was in the mood to have a good, peaceful argument. I'll bow out of this fight.With this weekend being Memorial Day and all...it really ****es me off about these cats. But hey, that is why we come to the SO...to bang our heads against the wall and throw our measly opinons down trying to convince everyone that we are the smartest and we know it all. ;)

oumartin
5/25/2006, 10:05 AM
your opinion is measly. I on the other hand am well respected on this board!

:D
:D

Scott D
5/25/2006, 01:46 PM
Michigan passed a law two weeks ago stating that those protesting a funeral of a fallen soldier have to be I believe 2 blocks away from said funeral..it could only be one block.