PDA

View Full Version : Trains into NY...

Soonrboy
5/24/2006, 09:20 PM
We are heading up to that area this summer. Has anyone on here ever stayed in an outside town and taken the train into NYC? Or parked somewhere and taken the train in?

We are going to a graduation. Niagara Falls...couple of days in NYC, then down to Philly and DC. We have 2 kids, so thinking it will be cheaper to stay outside of NYC and just take the train in.

Any advice?

sooneron
5/24/2006, 09:24 PM
Nigara is NOWHERE near NYC, just so you know. NY State can seem almost as big as texas. I'll think about this...PM me the price range you want to spend on hotel.

Soonrboy
5/24/2006, 09:25 PM
Ah man, completely forgot you would be the person to ask.

JohnnyMack
5/24/2006, 09:28 PM
stay outside of NYC and just take the train in.

Any advice?

http://www.themadisonhotel.com/

It's outside of NY and there is a train station across the street.

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 09:30 PM
Your options are New Jersey or Long Island. Ick. Ick. If its only a couple days, just find a good deal on a room in Manhattan using Priceline or Limewire. Your days will be busy enough without having to hassle with transportation into the city.

Its usually cheaper to find something in Midtown as opposed to the Central Park or Times Square areas. There is a Comfort Inn on 34th Street near Herald Square where I've stayed a few times. It's right next to a subway stop (important) and the people who work there are awesome. Their rates are usually pretty good.

sooneron
5/24/2006, 09:32 PM
Your options are New Jersey or Long Island. Ick. Ick. If its only a couple days, just find a good deal on a room in Manhattan using Priceline or Limewire. Your days will be busy enough without having to hassle with transportation into the city.

Its usually cheaper to find something in Midtown as opposed to the Central Park or Times Square areas. There is a Comfort Inn on 34th Street near Herald Square where I've stayed a few times. It's right next to a subway stop (important) and the people who work there are awesome. Their rates are usually pretty good.
Some of us live in NJ, and one of the wealthiest counties in the US, not so, ick.

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 09:33 PM
Whatever you say, bridge and tunnel person. ;)

sooneron
5/24/2006, 09:35 PM
Well, seeing as how i lived on the UWS and EV, and Murray Hill....

hillbilly :D

Soonrboy
5/24/2006, 09:36 PM
Is it pretty easy to navigate in the city? asks the hillbilly.

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 09:38 PM
Heh.

Viking Kitten
Is it pretty easy to navigate in the city? asks the hillbilly.

Yes. It's a big grid.

sooneron
Yes, you can find all the tourist crap either in midtown/times square/ central park/ west (Museum of Nat Hist) or the battery downtown.

sooneron
5/24/2006, 09:41 PM
The problem is, the further out of town you you find a deal in a hotel stay, the more you can pay for travel. You can pay up to $40 or more a day in travel for 4 for not such a great distance.

Soonrboy
5/24/2006, 09:42 PM
people say we need to do the staten island ferry. true?

sooneron
5/24/2006, 09:49 PM
people say we need to do the staten island ferry. true?
The line is shorter than the Statue of Liberty Ferry. and the view is pretty cool.It is cheap, too.
Go to John's pizza on Bleecker as well. It's not far from Washington Sq park.

Soonrboy
5/24/2006, 09:52 PM
Man thanks...that Madison hotel looks pretty cool. 139 for a nice hotel..roundtrip tickets into the city...

Will look into the comfort inn, also. Thanks VK and guys.

sooneron
5/24/2006, 10:01 PM
Just so you know...
1 hour into the city from Morristown at least...
http://www.njtransit.com/sf_tr_schedules.jsp?action=entry&resptype=U&MinB=0&MinA=0&Fare=Y&Line=MNE&LineDesc=M%26E+-+Morristown+Line&LineLookup=&STime=12%3A00+PM&RTime=1%3A00+PM&Oloc=Morristown&OSID=92++++++&Dloc=New+York+Penn+Station&DSID=105+++++&back=sf_tr_schedules.shtml&LineExt=MNE%3AM%26E+-+Morristown+Line&ori=92++++++%3AMorristown&LineExt2=MNE%3AM%26E+-+Morristown+Line&des=105+++++%3ANew+York+Penn+Station&DOW=W&mm=5&dd=24&yyyy=2006&date=5%2F24%2F2006

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 10:01 PM
How old are your kids? My son thought riding the Roosevelt Island tram was cool as heck after seeing Spiderman.

Course all those people got stuck on it a couple weeks back so maybe not.

Yes to the Staten Island Ferry. Czar and I took that thing back and forth for about four hours one night. (They sell beer.)

I've never done the Circle Line, but I've heard its cool. Ron, your thoughts on the Circle Line?

proud gonzo
5/24/2006, 10:09 PM
I always stay at my grandma's house in new jersey.

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 10:10 PM
Do you think grandma would mind if Soonrboy and the fam shacked up there a few days?

sooneron
5/24/2006, 10:14 PM
How old are your kids? My son thought riding the Roosevelt Island tram was cool as heck after seeing Spiderman.

Course all those people got stuck on it a couple weeks back so maybe not.

Yes to the Staten Island Ferry. Czar and I took that thing back and forth for about four hours one night. (They sell beer.)

I've never done the Circle Line, but I've heard its cool. Ron, your thoughts on the Circle Line?
Meh, never done it. There's a good chance the tram will not be back on line when soonrboy is in town. I have heard "sometime" in June or sometime...

Another cool thing is to take the ferry from Hoboken (Sinatra's brithplace to Manhattan) It takes you to downtown. You can also take the path train back into NYC after taking the ferry out of. The PATH train station is in the WTC. It is a rather strange/ heavy experience for someone to do. I don't really recommend it for small children. It's rather somber as you pull into the pit. It is something that every American should do.
Go to the top of the Empire St Building or Rock Center. ( I think it's open now) Walk around Central park and go to Strawberry Field and the Dakota across the street to get a little Lennon-esque.
If you want a true movie tour, let me know. I can point out a ****load of spots.

sooneron
5/24/2006, 10:15 PM
If your kids aren't too small, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. It is really friggin cool!

proud gonzo
5/24/2006, 10:18 PM
Do you think grandma would mind if Soonrboy and the fam shacked up there a few days?

yes. Yes I do. :D

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 10:18 PM
MOMA is nice if your kids are a little older. For shopping you have got to take the kids to FAO Schwartz.

BigRedJed
5/24/2006, 10:20 PM
Screw FAO Schwartz. If I ever have kids they're going to have to make due with corn husk dolls and dirt clod fights.

proud gonzo
5/24/2006, 10:21 PM
heeheee

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 10:24 PM
No no. You take 'em to FAO Schwartz. Show 'em all the cool toys. Then you tell 'em "If your mother hadn't dropped out of high school to have you, we could probably afford some of these."

sooneron
5/24/2006, 10:27 PM
Yeah, you have to take the kids to the place where T Hanks made his mark in Big.

If you have a little girl ( I think you do) let her gaze in the little window that A Hepburn looked into in Breakfast At Tiffanys.
Go check out Grand Central Station and watch the multitudes of people from the balcony. (It is a beautiful structure)

Go have some good seafood at the South St Seaport after strolling halfway cross the Brooklyn Bridge.

Go to Katz's deli and have what Meg Ryan was having. Great dogs there.

Get some cheap tickets for a Yankees game. TOTALLY worth it. You can take the subway there with some/ a lot of rowdy fans- at least take the tour if you appreciate baseball...

Go to the TKTS booth and get half off or better for Broadway. go to the one at South St seaport - MUCH less crowded!!!!

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 10:33 PM
Go to the TKTS booth and get half off or better for Broadway. go to the one at South St seaport - MUCH less crowded!!!!

I gotta say I disagree with this one. If they are only in NY for a couple days there's no sense in burning that much time in the TKTS line. If there's a show you want to see, just splurge on it. TKTS Booth is great for people who live there though.

Soonrboy
5/24/2006, 10:53 PM
My boy is 11 and the girl is 8...We really wanted to go see a show, but don't think the wallet can take it this time around. Schwartz, pizza, dogs, the Staten Island Ferry, MOMA, and the Brooklyn bridge...

Can this be done in 2 days??? Can stay longer if PG's grandma okays it. :)

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 10:57 PM
Sure. Do MOMA, FAO Schwartz, Central Park area one day, do the lower Manhattan stuff the next.

JohnnyMack
5/24/2006, 11:01 PM
Just so you know...
1 hour into the city from Morristown at least...
http://www.njtransit.com/sf_tr_schedules.jsp?action=entry&resptype=U&MinB=0&MinA=0&Fare=Y&Line=MNE&LineDesc=M%26E+-+Morristown+Line&LineLookup=&STime=12%3A00+PM&RTime=1%3A00+PM&Oloc=Morristown&OSID=92++++++&Dloc=New+York+Penn+Station&DSID=105+++++&back=sf_tr_schedules.shtml&LineExt=MNE%3AM%26E+-+Morristown+Line&ori=92++++++%3AMorristown&LineExt2=MNE%3AM%26E+-+Morristown+Line&des=105+++++%3ANew+York+Penn+Station&DOW=W&mm=5&dd=24&yyyy=2006&date=5%2F24%2F2006

Why do you hate Tony & Christopher?

:D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/24/2006, 11:01 PM
FAO Schwartz was MIA when I was there in OCtober of 2004.

JohnnyMack
5/24/2006, 11:02 PM
Your options are New Jersey or Long Island. Ick. Ick.

Newark = sh*thole.

rest of NJ = really quite beautiful.

JohnnyMack
5/24/2006, 11:06 PM
Your 11 & 8 year olds will not enjoy the MoMA. Go to the Museum of Nat. History instead.

I'd say about 1/5 of the MoMA is actually interesting. So many floors of so much crap.

Soonrboy
5/25/2006, 08:34 AM
Man, this is great stuff. We need to start publishing this ****. "SF's Guide to Travels" or "__________ Soonerfans Style"

Czar Soonerov
5/25/2006, 08:36 AM
Newark = sh*thole.

It is the Garden State.

BeetDigger
5/25/2006, 09:17 AM
My boy is 11 and the girl is 8...We really wanted to go see a show, but don't think the wallet can take it this time around. Schwartz, pizza, dogs, the Staten Island Ferry, MOMA, and the Brooklyn bridge...

Can this be done in 2 days??? Can stay longer if PG's grandma okays it. :)

The girl might like the American Girl store. It's been a while but I think that it is on the corner of 5th and 50th or so. I lived at 55th and 5th but it wasn't there when I lived there.

Be sure to grab a fresh stoogie. Oh sure, everyone will scream :les: "NAT SHERMAN" but instead drop in De La Concha (6th between 56th and 57th). Pick one up and smoke it while you stroll through the Park.

Oh, and I think that it is worth it to stay in the city. If you can, park the car in outside of the city, take the train in, stay for a couple of days and then take the train back out.

BeetDigger
5/25/2006, 09:18 AM
Another cool thing is to take the ferry from Hoboken (Sinatra's brithplace to Manhattan) It takes you to downtown. You can also take the path train back into NYC after taking the ferry out of. The PATH train station is in the WTC. It is a rather strange/ heavy experience for someone to do. I don't really recommend it for small children. It's rather somber as you pull into the pit. It is something that every American should do.

I was just thinking about the PATH station. I was last in it in about 2000. I remember the mall. I need to schedule time to visit there next time I am in NY.

Viking Kitten
5/25/2006, 09:25 AM
Newark = sh*thole.

There are some lovely areas in NJ.

Anyplace convenient to NYC = Ick.

Viking Kitten
5/25/2006, 09:26 AM
And while you are in Lower Manhattan, try Century 21 for shopping. Your wife will thank me profusely for this tip.

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 09:27 AM
And while you are in Lower Manhattan, try Century 21 for shopping. Your wife will thank me profusely for this tip.

Yeah, good luck affording a house in Manhattan.

BeetDigger
5/25/2006, 09:42 AM

7 World Trade Center still has body parts in it. I would think that Century 21 would have them too.

Viking Kitten
5/25/2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah, good luck affording a house in Manhattan.

Not that Century 21, this Century 21 (http://www.c21stores.com/nyc.asp), you nitwit.

A mecca for cheap-a$s biznachos with expensive taste, like myself.

sooneron
5/25/2006, 10:03 AM
I gotta say I disagree with this one. If they are only in NY for a couple days there's no sense in burning that much time in the TKTS line. If there's a show you want to see, just splurge on it. TKTS Booth is great for people who live there though.
Yes, that is why you don't go to the busy one in Times Square. I remember when I went to the downtown location and waited all of 5 minutes.

sooneron
5/25/2006, 10:08 AM
Let me know what kind of food you like and what you want to spend. I can definitely hook you up with some good eats that are off the beaten path (but not too) where you can get a real feel for the city, not other tourists.

Viking Kitten
5/25/2006, 10:11 AM
Yes, that is why you don't go to the busy one in Times Square. I remember when I went to the downtown location and waited all of 5 minutes.

I have not been to the new one. I just remember waiting about three hours in line everytime I've tried the Times Square one. If it's really only a five-minute wait, it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you won't otherwise get to go to a show.

The Soonerovs will be going later this year, is there anything kid-friendly worth seeing right now?

sooneron
5/25/2006, 10:17 AM
I don't know much about kid shows. I haven't really heard anything on Tarzan, but I would bet that is a safe one. I usually go a little off Bway.

Oh, and I have a Century 21 opening up by me. Bad *** discount threads with NO sales tax. Awwwwwww yeah! Right next door to a Saks Off Fifth.

Viking Kitten
5/25/2006, 10:20 AM
Czar and I are going to try and pawn the kids off on my brother one night and see Avenue Q. Anything else off B'way we should know about?

SoonerInKCMO
5/25/2006, 10:23 AM
I read about these guys recently: http://www.nylikeanative.com/ - sounds like a good deal... not sure how it'd work with your schedule and the kids though.

sooneron
5/25/2006, 10:29 AM
We had fun at Jewtopia. But unless you know a lot about the Jewsish stereotype, it may not be too fun. Ave Q is pretty damn good. I also recommend Spamalot if you haven't seen it. (HIGHLY)

SweetheartSooner
5/25/2006, 10:36 AM
http://menupages.com/

This is a list of all restaurants listed by district and cuisine. We loved Pappardella, its on the corner of Columbus and 75th. Very good.

And since we don't have a Whole Foods in the OKC metro area, we ate there quite a bit, it was convenient since it was close to our hotel. It's in the Columbus Circle Mall.

sooneron
5/25/2006, 10:56 AM
http://menupages.com/

This is a list of all restaurants listed by district and cuisine. We loved Pappardella, its on the corner of Columbus and 75th. Very good.

And since we don't have a Whole Foods in the OKC metro area, we ate there quite a bit, it was convenient since it was close to our hotel. It's in the Columbus Circle Mall.
That's sort of the problem these days, you had a few meals in a corporate mall instead of in NYC.

SweetheartSooner
5/25/2006, 11:03 AM
That's sort of the problem these days, you had a few meals in a corporate mall instead of in NYC.

I totally agree - it was convenient, and we were on a time schedule. But, it was good for us since we don't have them here.

Soonrboy
5/25/2006, 11:05 AM
The boy wants a hot dog from a street vendor. We are pretty simple on the food. We'll eat anything. Have any idea how much off broadway shows are?

There will be no womanly shopping on our two days.

I forgot about the American Girls store. Dammit.

sooneron
5/25/2006, 11:19 AM
The boy wants a hot dog from a street vendor. We are pretty simple on the food. We'll eat anything. Have any idea how much off broadway shows are?

There will be no womanly shopping on our two days.

I forgot about the American Girls store. Dammit.

Mmmm, dirty water dogs. Just be sure to get one from someone that has a lot of business.
off- broadway - Prices are pretty high and the family selection is lacking. I paid 200 bucks for two tickets to Jewtopia. Good seats, but that's a lot of money for someone that doesn't go to a lot of shows - wife's birfday present.