PDA

View Full Version : HID headlights - just but the bulbs?

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 02:37 PM
If I want to up upgrade to HID lighting, do I just need to buy the HID bulbs
for my car?

tbl
5/24/2006, 02:45 PM
There isn't an HID light for your car. You can upgrade to some of the nicer halogens, but HID is not available in cars. HID=High Intensity Discharge (High Pressure Sodium, Metal Halide, etc). Mostly used for street lights, gymnasiums, big retail stores, etc, but not for cars. You have to have a ballast to run them and I can't imagine them doing that for cars. It's possible, but it would be REALLY expensive.

I sell lighting for a National Philips distributor, in case you want to check my references. ;)

Mjcpr
5/24/2006, 02:46 PM
High Intensity Discharge?

I've had that plenty of times.

Fugue
5/24/2006, 02:47 PM
after seeing the title, I had perkier expectations of this thread.

Mjcpr
5/24/2006, 02:47 PM
after seeing the title, I had perkier expectations of this thread.

So, the butt bulb reference tickled your fancy?

Sick.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 02:50 PM
There isn't an HID light for your car. You can upgrade to some of the nicer halogens, but HID is not available in cars. HID=High Intensity Discharge (High Pressure Sodium, Metal Halide, etc). Mostly used for street lights, gymnasiums, big retail stores, etc, but not for cars. You have to have a ballast to run them and I can't imagine them doing that for cars. It's possible, but it would be REALLY expensive.

I sell lighting for a National Philips distributor, in case you want to check my references. ;)

So to get the ultra white light, so white is has a blue hue, I'd have to do what?

SoonerInKCMO
5/24/2006, 02:55 PM

Umm... you might want to Google HID & cars.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 02:56 PM

It made things more confusing. I thought the SO had answers for everything!

:texan:

mrowl
5/24/2006, 02:56 PM

uhh... I have a car with HID lights...

OUDoc
5/24/2006, 02:57 PM
From what I understand, you'd have to buy more than just the bulbs. Otherwise go with the "super-white" replacement lamps.

yermom
5/24/2006, 02:57 PM

yermom's car came with them from the factory, ballast and all ;)

yes, they are expensive

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 02:58 PM
Slickwife's new Passat has the Bi Xenon self adjusting BAMF headlights.

I like that ultra white look, you can see much better at night.

mrowl
5/24/2006, 02:59 PM
yermom helped answer, and yes, you have to buy a kit, more than just the bulbs.

SoonerInKCMO
5/24/2006, 03:10 PM
It made things more confusing. I thought the SO had answers for everything!

:texan:

I was saying that lebowski should Google - in response to his claim that there's no such thing as HID lights for cars.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 03:14 PM
Hmmmm, I'm finding kits for $350. Not cheap, but not absoloutely terrible.

tbl
5/24/2006, 03:21 PM
I said if they were available, they would have to be expensive (due to the ballast and the expensive nature of HID lamps), thus pretty much pointless. I sell in the commercial/industrial market, so I wasn't sure if they existed or not. Go with the true color halogens from AutoZone or O'Reillys.

If the car doesn't come with them, I don't think it's worth the time or money to change them out.

OUDoc
5/24/2006, 03:23 PM
Hmmmm, I'm finding kits for $350. Not cheap, but not absoloutely terrible.
I thought about it, but is it really worth that much? I may steal them out of my mother's Saab. It'd be a lot cheaper, and she'd never even notice (well, as long as I replaced them with my headlights). :D

yermom
5/24/2006, 03:23 PM
i hate driving other cars at night after having mine

my brights are deadly :D

tbl
5/24/2006, 03:25 PM
I'll bet other cars hate driving by you at night too. :D

OUDoc
5/24/2006, 03:25 PM

On second thought:
I may steal them out of yermom's car. It'd be a lot cheaper, and he'd never even notice (well, as long as I replaced them with my headlights). :D

Boomer.....
5/24/2006, 03:27 PM
To get HID lights, you have to buy a whole kit which is expensive. This is the only way to get the look of luxury car's headlights.

The other option is to buy bright white or other color bulbs. The headlight bulbs are measured in (K) and the higher up you go, the different color your headlights will appear. A standard halogen bulb is about 3500K while some bright white bulbs are around 5000K. If you go any higher, you will see a blue, purple, or green tint to the headlight. This is the easy way to get a cool looking headlight, but it will not help your line of vision, no matter how much brighter the lights look.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 03:27 PM

That's my problem - slickwife's new passant headlights spoiled me last week.
I'm gonna have to get some of those, they are just too slick.

yermom
5/24/2006, 03:28 PM
what kind of car?

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 03:30 PM
An 05 Suburban.

And very likely another 06 Passat (not tricked out like slickwifes)

Mjcpr
5/24/2006, 03:35 PM
An 05 Suburban.

And very likely another 06 Passat (not tricked out like slickwifes)

So you prefer the Pussat to your new Suburban?

Ghey.

:D

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 03:46 PM
I prefer the 35MPG to the 18MPG (highway).

mdklatt
5/24/2006, 03:55 PM
If I want to up upgrade to HID lighting

Why do you hate other drivers?

Boarder
5/24/2006, 04:02 PM
The best aftermarket bulbs are PIAA X-Treme White Plus. They're not HID, but not high dollar. They give a really nice light. I recommend them.

They're available at certain truck accessory shops.

HID upgrade is not worth the $$. Unless you just love the blue light. They're neat-o, I grant you.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/24/2006, 04:03 PM
This reminds me, I need more pellets for my pellet gun.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 04:05 PM

I'm paying back the teenagers in the hood.

Jimminy Crimson
5/24/2006, 11:51 PM

There are other drivers on the road? :confused: ;)

critical_phil
5/24/2006, 11:59 PM

amen.

as a selling point for HID, they come with a free asswhipping if you like to tailgate people like me.

yermom
5/25/2006, 12:02 AM
dude, that really wasn't me

i don't think

critical_phil
5/25/2006, 12:05 AM
dude, that really wasn't me

i don't think

are you saying it's possible that dan haggerty lives in norman and drives a subaru?

sounds kind of like the chewbacca defense to me............

BigRedJed
5/25/2006, 12:13 AM
GOOGLOWNED!!