SoonerShark
5/24/2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12822935/

Sooners had worst offseason coaching hire
Capel is unproven commodity in unfamiliar territory at Oklahoma

By Mike DeCourcy
May 18, 2006

Mike DeCourcy
As with the NFL draft, the only way to evaluate college coaching hires with 100 percent certainty is to issue the grades three or four years later.

But the column isn't due in three or four years, is it?

The column is due today.
o just as the athletic directors who made these hires had to use the available information, the recommendations of others and a bit of gut instinct to make their decisions, that's what you're getting here. Thing is, my gut doesn't always agree with theirs.

Biggest gamble: Oklahoma, Jeff Capel
Although Capel did a terrific job for Virginia Commonwealth, at age 31 he is very young to be moving into the Big 12. He is moving into a part of the country where he has few longstanding recruiting connections. He needs players fast because transfers depleted the Sooners' upper classes and three gifted players who had signed with OU in the fall asked to be released. Grade: C

Surest bet: Iowa State, Greg McDermott
McDermott has been in Iowa longer than corn. He runs sophisticated offenses and defenses that enabled teams at Northern Iowa to compete with high-major opponents. As long as there are enough solid players in the region, McDermott will succeed. Grade: B+

Right at home: Cincinnati, Mick Cronin
Alive 34 years, Cronin has called Cincinnati home for all but five of them. He knows the university, the community and the area high school coaches. Most important, he'll recognize the obstacles as he tries to rebuild a program that — despite recent success — was barren when he arrived. Grade: B (docked one letter grade for finishing the coaching turnover a year late)

Out of water: Arizona State, Herb Sendek
Although Sendek's intellect has few boundaries, he's a long way from his base. None of Sendek's previous coaching stops took him west of Ohio. The staff has been well-received by high school and club coaches in the region, but because the state isn't especially productive, Sendek and his assistants are going to have to find players in California or Texas. Grade: B

Speeding up: Pepperdine, Vance Walberg
After energizing his offense with Walberg's concepts, Memphis coach John Calipari talks about this former juco coach the way coaches dealing with big men speak of Pete Newell. Walberg's teams at Fresno City averaged more than 100 points per game. Pepperdine ranked last in scoring in the West Coast Conference last season. Grade: A

Slowing down: UAB, Mike Davis
The Blazers made three consecutive NCAA appearances employing an unyielding full-court pressure style — and could have continued by hiring former assistant Scott Edgar. At Indiana, Davis' teams did not play stall-ball but averaged only 72.0 points last season. UAB opted for his name recognition and recruiting contacts. Grade: B-

Boldest move: Kansas State, Bob Huggins
Whereas Missouri retreated from Huggins' radioactive public image, K-State moved forward and grabbed him. And the reaction? Pretty tame. There have been few loud condemnations of the move. Huggins has signed two prime players and added a commitment from a third, which suggests the Wildcats quickly will become a factor in the Big 12. Grade: A-

Safest move: Brad Brownell, Wright State
The administration didn't exactly do right by previous coach Paul Biancardi, but it certainly nailed this hire. This is an ideal opportunity for Brownell, who took UNC Wilmington to two NCAA Tournaments in four years. Reigning Horizon power Wisconsin-Milwaukee is likely to dip, and Wright State's top four scorers return. Grade: A+

Potential for failure at N.C. State: high
Sidney Lowe's history as a member of N.C. State's 1983 national championship team was a big reason he was hired away from his assistant job with the Detroit Pistons to become the Wolfpack's next head coach.

Now, N.C. State has to hope history doesn't matter.

There is a clear precedent that coaches who arrive from the NBA with no recent college experience do not succeed in Division I. Lowe hasn't had to deal with recruiting, NCAA rules compliance, encouraging players to achieve academically and making sure they behave well.

Pro coaches don't have those responsibilities — which may or may not account for the failure of most who've attempted what Lowe is about to try.

SoonerShark
5/24/2006, 02:06 PM
I am relatively happy with our choice. I like the coach. I just hope he does better than the other Duke alums at coaching. And I cannot advocate the team gang rapes like they advocate at Duke, it just is not nice.

critical_phil
5/24/2006, 02:12 PM
i'll take my chances with capel over huggy bear or mike davis......

at least at this point, capel shown that he isn't an alcoholic and he speaks coherent english.....

Soonerwolf
5/24/2006, 02:39 PM
And the sporting news opinion counts how much? Amother bunch of stiffs that cannot coach or play, just criticize. Jeff Capel will succeed beyond all expectations and let his success do the talking . . .

Collier11
5/24/2006, 02:50 PM
I dont think they were criticizing OU at all, they were simply telling the truth. Capel is unproven, yea he won early in his career but it was at VCU. I too think he will end up being a great hire, but at this point in time it looks to outsiders like a big reach.

Collier11
5/24/2006, 02:54 PM
And I cannot advocate the team gang rapes like they advocate at Duke, it just is not nice.

People like you are pathetic...Not one thing has been proven yet and for you to say something like that is rediculous. In the long run they may be proven guilty, but at this point in time they are not guilty and to be real honest, there isnt a whole lot of evidence to back up the accuser. These guys at Duke did what a large majority of college kids due, throw a party that just happened to involve strippers. Im pretty sure that is not a crime, so until the guilt or innocence is proven, why dont you NOT call these kids Gang Rapists!!

william_brasky
5/24/2006, 03:00 PM
I pleasantly await the day when Capel makes DeCourcy eat a big turdburger.

OKC-SLC
5/24/2006, 03:06 PM
I pleasantly await the day when Capel makes DeCourcy eat a big turdburger.
I too have a really good feeling about Capel. DeCourcy needs to do his homework--Capel has already gotten some players in an area he has no recruiting ties.

I hope someone less lazy than I keeps this article for a few years down the road.

Nice avatar, brasky.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/24/2006, 03:13 PM
People like you are pathetic...Not one thing has been proven yet and for you to say something like that is rediculous. In the long run they may be proven guilty, but at this point in time they are not guilty and to be real honest, there isnt a whole lot of evidence to back up the accuser. These guys at Duke did what a large majority of college kids due, throw a party that just happened to involve strippers. Im pretty sure that is not a crime, so until the guilt or innocence is proven, why dont you NOT call these kids Gang Rapists!!

They are innocent of rape...the lacrosstitute obvious lied.

They are guilty of being Duke Lacrosse players. Almost as bad ;)

I have no problem with Decourcey callin Capel a risky hire. So be it. Risky implies it could go either way. I think based on some of the early commitments he is getting and the impressions made on me so far that it was a good risky hire.

william_brasky
5/24/2006, 04:49 PM
Nice avatar, brasky.

Thank you. :twinkies:

Soonerwolf
5/24/2006, 06:18 PM
I dont think they were criticizing OU at all, they were simply telling the truth. Capel is unproven, yea he won early in his career but it was at VCU. I too think he will end up being a great hire, but at this point in time it looks to outsiders like a big reach.

I think they were taking shots at Capel. I'd love to see what the Sporting News and/or DeCourcy said about hiring Bob Stoops at OU in 1999.

In the past month Capel has gotten recruits commiting into the 2009 class. Here's to a good upcoming season and dominating future ones. GO BIG RED.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/24/2006, 07:48 PM
I am relatively happy with our choice. I like the coach. I just hope he does better than the other Duke alums at coaching. And I cannot advocate the team gang rapes like they advocate at Duke, it just is not nice.Your sense of humor is a stretch. Indications so far are that those boys are the ones getting raped.

CU Sooner
5/25/2006, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerShark]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12822935/

Although Capel did a terrific job for Virginia Commonwealth, at age 31 he is very young to be moving into the Big 12. He is moving into a part of the country where he has few longstanding recruiting connections. He needs players fast because transfers depleted the Sooners' upper classes and three gifted players who had signed with OU in the fall asked to be released. Grade: C

Can someone tell me who the transfers are? Our upper class graduated is that now consedered a transfer? Duh-courcey needs to research a little more before writing.

SoonerShark
5/25/2006, 12:37 PM

Sorry. I should have attached a warning label for the humor impaired.

SoonerShark
5/25/2006, 12:43 PM
Your sense of humor is a stretch. Indications so far are that those boys are the ones getting raped.

Since Duke is often cited as an athletic department above reproach and we are still associated with rape convictions and drug charges levied in 1989, it is less a stretch than a reasonable person would fail to associate with any statement.

SoonerShark
5/25/2006, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerShark]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12822935/

Can someone tell me who the transfers are? Our upper class graduated is that now consedered a transfer? Duh-courcey needs to research a little more before writing.

As to the transfers, he may mean the three who left in the last couple of Kelvin's years. Losing Lavender, McKenzie and Foust hurt us, and they would have been Seniors this next year, wouldn't they?

Collier11
5/25/2006, 01:23 PM
Sorry. I should have attached a warning label for the humor impaired.

Well to be real honest, I dont think making statements about people being gang rapists is really something to joke about

Dio
5/25/2006, 01:44 PM
I pleasantly await the day when Capel makes Damion James eat a big turdburger.

Fixed

The Consumate Showman
5/26/2006, 02:09 PM
DOes anyone know how many former Duke players are coaching D-1 level and the pro's???

william_brasky
5/26/2006, 03:05 PM
DOes anyone know how many former Duke players are coaching D-1 level and the pro's???

I would guess that yes, there is someone who knows how many former Duke players are coaching D-1 level and the pros. :twinkies:

Big Red Ron
5/27/2006, 12:51 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12822935/

Sooners had worst offseason coaching hire
Capel is unproven commodity in unfamiliar territory at Oklahoma

By Mike DeCourcy
May 18, 2006

Mike DeCourcy
As with the NFL draft, the only way to evaluate college coaching hires with 100 percent certainty is to issue the grades three or four years later.

But the column isn't due in three or four years, is it?

The column is due today.
o just as the athletic directors who made these hires had to use the available information, the recommendations of others and a bit of gut instinct to make their decisions, that's what you're getting here. Thing is, my gut doesn't always agree with theirs.

Surest bet: Iowa State, Greg McDermott
McDermott has been in Iowa longer than corn. He runs sophisticated offenses and defenses that enabled teams at Northern Iowa to compete with high-major opponents. As long as there are enough solid players in the region, McDermott will succeed. Grade: B+

Right at home: Cincinnati, Mick Cronin
Alive 34 years, Cronin has called Cincinnati home for all but five of them. He knows the university, the community and the area high school coaches. Most important, he'll recognize the obstacles as he tries to rebuild a program that — despite recent success — was barren when he arrived. Grade: B (docked one letter grade for finishing the coaching turnover a year late)

Out of water: Arizona State, Herb Sendek
Although Sendek's intellect has few boundaries, he's a long way from his base. None of Sendek's previous coaching stops took him west of Ohio. The staff has been well-received by high school and club coaches in the region, but because the state isn't especially productive, Sendek and his assistants are going to have to find players in California or Texas. Grade: B

Speeding up: Pepperdine, Vance Walberg
After energizing his offense with Walberg's concepts, Memphis coach John Calipari talks about this former juco coach the way coaches dealing with big men speak of Pete Newell. Walberg's teams at Fresno City averaged more than 100 points per game. Pepperdine ranked last in scoring in the West Coast Conference last season. Grade: A

Slowing down: UAB, Mike Davis
The Blazers made three consecutive NCAA appearances employing an unyielding full-court pressure style — and could have continued by hiring former assistant Scott Edgar. At Indiana, Davis' teams did not play stall-ball but averaged only 72.0 points last season. UAB opted for his name recognition and recruiting contacts. Grade: B-

Boldest move: Kansas State, Bob Huggins
Whereas Missouri retreated from Huggins' radioactive public image, K-State moved forward and grabbed him. And the reaction? Pretty tame. There have been few loud condemnations of the move. Huggins has signed two prime players and added a commitment from a third, which suggests the Wildcats quickly will become a factor in the Big 12. Grade: A-

Safest move: Brad Brownell, Wright State
The administration didn't exactly do right by previous coach Paul Biancardi, but it certainly nailed this hire. This is an ideal opportunity for Brownell, who took UNC Wilmington to two NCAA Tournaments in four years. Reigning Horizon power Wisconsin-Milwaukee is likely to dip, and Wright State's top four scorers return. Grade: A+

Potential for failure at N.C. State: high
Sidney Lowe's history as a member of N.C. State's 1983 national championship team was a big reason he was hired away from his assistant job with the Detroit Pistons to become the Wolfpack's next head coach.

Now, N.C. State has to hope history doesn't matter.

There is a clear precedent that coaches who arrive from the NBA with no recent college experience do not succeed in Division I. Lowe hasn't had to deal with recruiting, NCAA rules compliance, encouraging players to achieve academically and making sure they behave well.

Pro coaches don't have those responsibilities — which may or may not account for the failure of most who've attempted what Lowe is about to try.I hear crow is kinda tough and real damn gamey.

King Crimson
5/27/2006, 02:47 AM
where's Missouri's Mike Anderson?

i'm not a fan of DeCourcey so i could care less what he says. He's not as dumb as Joe Lunardi, but they'd prolly go seven games in a best of 7 in checkers or tic-tac-toe.

stoopified
5/27/2006, 01:33 PM
I would guess that yes, there is someone who knows how many former Duke players are coaching D-1 level and the pros. :twinkies::D

stoopified
5/28/2006, 04:17 PM
I thought about the knocks against Capel and thought that sounds like the same reservations many had not only of coach Stoops but of Billy Tubbs as well.Billy had a record of 75-46 in his only four previous seasons as a D-1 coach,all at lowly Lamar.I'm getting old and senile but am thinking Stoops and Tubbs turned out pretty good.For that matter another b-ball coach we had whose name escapes me at the moment came to OU with a 103-103 career record in 7 years as a D-1 head coach and turned out to have a pretty good 12 year run in Soonerland.