PDA

View Full Version : Meat

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 12:45 PM
Eh?

Boarder
5/24/2006, 12:49 PM
That's easy. Lighten up on the black pepper, though.

Sooner in Tampa
5/24/2006, 12:49 PM
Ribs...next question.

Boarder
5/24/2006, 12:50 PM
I'm smoking 12 Friday and Saturday. Poser BBQ catering event.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/24/2006, 12:53 PM
brisket boss

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 12:54 PM
Well, ribs are probably a given, which is why I allowed multiple choice.

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 12:55 PM
That's easy. Lighten up on the black pepper, though.
That is what I want to eat, but dealing with a fire for 16 hours might not be what I want to do. We'll have to see. A brisket would be easier on me.

TUSooner
5/24/2006, 12:58 PM
Ribs.
But a nicely done brisket? mmmmmm

walkoffsooner
5/24/2006, 01:02 PM
Hot link sandwich. Yummy

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 01:05 PM
And since I'm on the subject...

On foodtv a few weeks ago I watched a show called "Tyler's Ultimate" where he made the ultimate meatloaf (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_tu/episode/0,1976,FOOD_10228_43502,00.html). It sounded awesome, so this past weekend I made it except I smoked the meatloaf. IT WAS AWESOME! It was the perfect consistancy and tasted awesome.

Actually, I used 2lb of beef and 0.5lb jimmy dean's sausage instead of pork. Also I cut the relish recipe in half, didn't use the bacon or top the meatloaf with relish, and slathered it with BBQ sauce for the last 30 minutes. But it was basically the same recipe. I hope to try it unchanged at some point. Well, of course I would smoke it instead.

OUDoc
5/24/2006, 01:05 PM
That is what I want to eat, but dealing with a fire for 16 hours might not be what I want to do. We'll have to see. A brisket would be easier on me.
Then make Boarder do it. I assume you're bigger than him.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 01:07 PM
Chicken. Ribs are a good alternative.

OUDoc
5/24/2006, 01:12 PM
So chicken ribs would be the best ever?

walkoffsooner
5/24/2006, 01:12 PM

Chicken ribs are to tiny.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 01:14 PM
I'd have to agreee with walkoff, chicken ribs are too tiny.

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 01:14 PM
Then make Boarder do it. I assume you're bigger than him.
He's more redneck than me though. he would fight dirty.

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 01:17 PM
Only two of yous like pulled pork? COME ON!

Beef
5/24/2006, 01:35 PM
I cooked a brisket and ribs last weekend. I will be having nothing but vegetables and fruit all weekend.

montourwarrior
5/24/2006, 01:39 PM
Who's going to admit that they like to "smoke pulled pork" :eek:

OU Adonis
5/24/2006, 01:44 PM
Hey lookie, its a meat pole.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 01:48 PM

It's not nice to eat pork around our muslim friends.

Boarder
5/24/2006, 01:50 PM
Everyone else hasn't tried The Renowned.

Ribs would be second choice. Then chicken. Then brisket. Then Turkey.

If I had to tend the fire like that, I'd probably say ribs, too.

Hey, do a chuck roll. As long as you're going to have to tend it a while, give the chuck roll a try. It's hard to mess up, like pork butt. And, you'll have a ton of awesome pulled beef.

Boarder
5/24/2006, 01:51 PM
It's not nice to eat pork around our muslim friends.
THEY CAN GO TO HELL! THEY CAN GO TO HELL AND DIE!

Boarder
5/24/2006, 01:51 PM
wow, did I just write that? I'm sorry. Strike that from the record.

slickdawg
5/24/2006, 01:59 PM
wow, did I just write that? I'm sorry. Strike that from the record.

That's better. You should invite some "guest workers" over to your house for
the weekend.

sooneron
5/24/2006, 02:24 PM
This weekend will be baby backs- 6 racks..

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7320/ribcookoffsmoker6wc.jpg

Why wasn't sausage an option? Any real smoker throws some links on when the suckah's fired up!

proud gonzo
5/24/2006, 02:54 PM

I got confused by your weirdo terminology

BeetDigger
5/24/2006, 02:57 PM
Norm - you using hardwood charcoal still? I have a bag of Royal Oak that is pretty good. However, I hear that the stuff they sell at Whole Foods is the bomb. It's their own brand. They also have some natural starter fluid that appears to work great. I like the chimney's but the bottom stuff is always well burned by the time the top stuff is just getting hot.

OUDoc
5/24/2006, 03:24 PM
I got confused by your weirdo terminology
Womens. :rolleyes:

;)

StoopTroup
5/24/2006, 03:26 PM
Mmmmmm......

Hot LINKS!

http://homepage.mac.com/jayjao/hotlink.jpg

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 04:01 PM
Norm - you using hardwood charcoal still? I have a bag of Royal Oak that is pretty good. However, I hear that the stuff they sell at Whole Foods is the bomb. It's their own brand. They also have some natural starter fluid that appears to work great. I like the chimney's but the bottom stuff is always well burned by the time the top stuff is just getting hot.
Generally I have used regular Kingsford and chinks of wood. I have most of a bag of Green Egg that I'm going to try this time. Boy, that green egg is probably going to be awesome for smoking, but it's a pain in the *** to use for grilling. It's too hard to keep the temperature the same all over the whole grill with it.

BigRedJed
5/24/2006, 04:06 PM
Mmmmm... ...ribs...

Boarder
5/24/2006, 04:07 PM
Putting sausage on while the other meat is cooking is a given. Norm doesn't need to list that.

BeetDigger
5/24/2006, 04:41 PM
Generally I have used regular Kingsford and chinks of wood. I have most of a bag of Green Egg that I'm going to try this time. Boy, that green egg is probably going to be awesome for smoking, but it's a pain in the *** to use for grilling. It's too hard to keep the temperature the same all over the whole grill with it.

Try the hardwood some time. As I say, the Royal Oak is pretty good and the Whole Foods version is well regarded.

You have a green egg? That is the bomb. But for $600, I think I would buy one of the more traditional style smokers, and pocket the $350 difference.

sooneron
5/24/2006, 08:51 PM
Putting sausage on while the other meat is cooking is a given. Norm doesn't need to list that.
DISAGREE, some noobs need to know how it is done right.:texan:

Tailwind
5/24/2006, 09:10 PM
I didn't know what a Boston Butt was, but i liked the named, so that's what I chose. Now that I know what it is, I'd still choose it. What times dinner, BTW?

proud gonzo
5/24/2006, 09:42 PM
you said butt. hehe

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 10:21 PM
Try the hardwood some time. As I say, the Royal Oak is pretty good and the Whole Foods version is well regarded.

You have a green egg? That is the bomb. But for $600, I think I would buy one of the more traditional style smokers, and pocket the $350 difference.
Sorry, i wasn't clear. I have a bag of green egg lump charcoal. I use a chargriller with a side firebox for smoking meat.

olevetonahill
5/25/2006, 12:15 AM
Damn pole , The option of " smoke a Doob and eat any thing cooked" wasnt listed . :eek:

BigRedJed
5/25/2006, 12:15 AM
you said butt. hehe
I'm shocked that this is the dirtiest a thread titled "Meat" in the South Oval has gotten after 40 posts.

Norm In Norman
5/30/2006, 08:44 AM
My laziness outweighed everything else, so all I did is smoke 2 racks of ribs because they are easiest. I also smoked a fatty per border's recommendation, which is a breakfast sausage with rub on it. This morning I had the best sausage wrap I've ever had.

Funny thing is, we ended up having 1 rack of spareribs and one rack of baby backs. The baby backs have been in my freezer since november and I was afraid if i didn't go ahead and smoke them they would go bad. I was worried that possibly they had already gone bad, but they were just as good as the fresh spareribs. We also made some of my awesome mustard potato salad, some baked beans, and some fresh corn on the cob. And we did a brat for the boy since he doesn't like ribs. They all turned out good.

It's becoming painfully obvious that I need a rib rack, because I couldn't fit any more meat in my pit unless I got rid of my pan of water or something. Also, this is the first time I smoked anything with chunk charcoal. It did seem to take a little less charcoal (volume wise) than normal. It was hard to gauge though because the wind was blowing too hard so my temperature was pretty hard to keep constant at first. I like to crank the temp up on ribs after 3 hours (per the BRITU instructions), but all I had to do was open the ash drawer and it popped up to about 250-260 no problem. I really need to try it out on a hot windless day.

Anyone else smoke any meat this weekend?

Mjcpr
5/30/2006, 08:50 AM
We cooked 3 beer-up-the-butt-chickens on Sunday in those small, kinda tall Brinkman smokers. They were excellent as always.

OU4LIFE
5/30/2006, 09:02 AM
I smoked two pork shoulders and a rack of ribs. Used plum wood, they turned out great. Smoked them for about 2 1/2 hours on the smoke, then wrapped them in foil and cooked them for about 5- more hours at about 200*.....they just fell apart.

Combine that with some COTC, and some deviled eggs..vila

BeetDigger
5/30/2006, 09:14 AM
I smoked two racks of baby backs under the Weber dome. I built a small fire to the side and then used an adjustable v-cradle to prop up the ribs (it isn't perfect, but it keeps them up. I bought it to use with whole chicken and turkey to keep it off the bottom of the pan when I smoke them, a great $5 purchase). I put rub on them and let them sit for about three hours before putting them on the grill.

I spritzed them with a mixture of beer, espresso, apple cider vinegar, honey and molasses - every 45 minutes or so. I used a mix of kingsford and lump for heat and threw chunks of wood on the coals for smoke. I cooked them for five hours on real low heat. They had a beautiful smoke ring and great flavor. They were real tender but not too tender.

The only two problems I had were that I should have peeled the membrane off the back as it proved to be tough and they were really dark. I think that the darkness came from the spritz.

At the last minute, I found a recipe for yellow and red pepper boats filled with a corn mixture. Cut a couple of red/yellow peppers in half and get rid of the stem, seeds and white membrane. In a bowl combine a couple of cups of corn, a half cup of chopped cilantro, juice from a lime, half a cup of jack (or pepper jack) cheese (cut in small chuncks) and a quarter of a red onion chopped. Season with salt. Rub the bottom of the peppers with oil and then fill them with the mixture and grill them till the backs are slightly charred and the cheese melts. Its easy and really freaking good. And they look cool.

slickdawg
5/30/2006, 09:15 AM
My laziness outweighed everything else, so all I did is smoke 2 racks of ribs because they are easiest. I also smoked a fatty per border's recommendation, which is a breakfast sausage with rub on it. This morning I had the best sausage wrap I've ever had.

Funny thing is, we ended up having 1 rack of spareribs and one rack of baby backs. The baby backs have been in my freezer since november and I was afraid if i didn't go ahead and smoke them they would go bad. I was worried that possibly they had already gone bad, but they were just as good as the fresh spareribs. We also made some of my awesome mustard potato salad, some baked beans, and some fresh corn on the cob. And we did a brat for the boy since he doesn't like ribs. They all turned out good.

It's becoming painfully obvious that I need a rib rack, because I couldn't fit any more meat in my pit unless I got rid of my pan of water or something. Also, this is the first time I smoked anything with chunk charcoal. It did seem to take a little less charcoal (volume wise) than normal. It was hard to gauge though because the wind was blowing too hard so my temperature was pretty hard to keep constant at first. I like to crank the temp up on ribs after 3 hours (per the BRITU instructions), but all I had to do was open the ash drawer and it popped up to about 250-260 no problem. I really need to try it out on a hot windless day.

Anyone else smoke any meat this weekend?

Norm, you shouldn't do that.

Norm In Norman
5/30/2006, 09:52 AM
The only two problems I had were that I should have peeled the membrane off the back as it proved to be tough and they were really dark. I think that the darkness came from the spritz.
I've always peeled the membrane off my ribs first. I wondered what would happen if you didn't. I'll make sure I always peel it off after hearing that.

I just smoked them for 3 hours (never opening the lid), flipped them, cranked the temperature up, then after another hour or so I pulled them off, put some sauce on them, then grilled them on both sides for about 2-3 minutes per side. They were really tender but they didn't fall off the bone. I did the 3-2-1 method once and they were too tender, so now I do them this way and have gotten good results every time.

What do you guys use to smoke stuff? I use a chargriller:

http://www.chargriller.com/upload/330/large/236.jpg

except mine doesn't glow yellow like that. I really like it, but after a year the grate has rusted a lot and I imagine next year I will have to get another. Right now I have bailing wire holding the charcoal pan together in one place and it needs a similar fix on the other side now. it's hard to smoke using it in the wind, but it does awesome when there isn't any wind. It's hard to get it to go below 220 with no wind. Also, it's the best grill I've ever used. it will be cast iron grates and adjustable charcoal height for me from here on out as far as any grills I buy.

OU4LIFE
5/30/2006, 09:59 AM
homemade custom smoker that my dad made, sucker weighs about 450 lbs. Made of 1/2 thick oilfield pipe. That dude will hold temperature like you can believe. Once you get it to the temp you want, it just stays there....

Norm In Norman
5/30/2006, 10:17 AM
homemade custom smoker that my dad made, sucker weighs about 450 lbs. Made of 1/2 thick oilfield pipe. That dude will hold temperature like you can believe. Once you get it to the temp you want, it just stays there....
Dude, that would be sweet. When i was a kid my dad made stuff like that. Once he made a grill for some company that was about 12 feet long. He basically built it onto a trailer so they could drag it around and have big parties for the employees. he also made the grill we used when i was a kid out of 1/2" thick pipe. It had an adjustable vent and he made it where it could turn on the post it was on. I bet the thing weighed 600 pounds.

BeetDigger
5/30/2006, 10:40 AM
What do you guys use to smoke stuff? I use a chargriller:

I use the standard old Weber kettle. To me, it is the best all around grill to have. There are others that are better at various jobs, but this one does everything well. And they can be bought for around $75 or less and they last forever. I'd like to get an offset with the tall smoke stack for the meat. But they are $200 or so and I don't really need one.

josh09
5/30/2006, 12:54 PM
easily ribs

IB4OU2
5/30/2006, 01:15 PM
Yesterday I smoked 6 racks of spare ribs for 6 hours at about 195 degrees using pecan and some all american rub I picked up in Eureka Springs last week. It was good and my smoker looks just like the one in Norm's pic.