PDA

View Full Version : I turned on my lava lamp, put on Dark Side of the Moon...

JohnnyMack
5/23/2006, 10:43 PM
...and I'm thinking it's time to roll one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12943013/

U.S. study sees no marijuana link to lung cancer
Baby-boomer research results surprise doctors expecting to find connection

LOS ANGELES - Marijuana smoking does not increase a person's risk of developing lung cancer, according to the findings of a new study at the University of California Los Angeles that surprised even the researchers.

They had expected to find that a history of heavy marijuana use, like cigarette smoking, would increase the risk of cancer.

Instead, the study, which compared the lifestyles of 611 Los Angeles County lung cancer patients and 601 patients with head and neck cancers with those of 1,040 people without cancer, found no elevated cancer risk for even the heaviest pot smokers. It did find a 20-fold increased risk of lung cancer in people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

picasso
5/23/2006, 10:46 PM
did they also do any brain or motor skills tests? that's the kicker Jack.:D

Melo
5/23/2006, 10:49 PM
So uh... basically, these people were allowed to smoke pot for "research"? Heh.

proud gonzo
5/23/2006, 11:03 PM
not as bad as the artist they put on acid for research

Tailwind
5/23/2006, 11:41 PM
I smoked pot as a teen and young adult and it never.....hey, I need a soda.....affected me............pass me that twinkie will ya........uh......what were we talking about?

SicEmBaylor
5/23/2006, 11:46 PM
I only tried pot once in my life my soph. year of college. I was going through a rough time with my ex so I thought what the hell.

The thing is though I didn't get high at all, because I smoke cigars pretty regularly and I don't inhale the smoke. So when I try to inhale this smoke I just absolutely couldn't get my reflexes to work right, so I never really got anything into my lungs.

Anywhoo, obviously it had no effect on me at all. Years from now if I get asked in a campaign if I've ever tried it then I can honestly answer "yes but I didn't inahale." NOBODY is going to believe me though. THANKS BILL!

Melo
5/24/2006, 12:07 AM
I only tried pot once in my life my soph. year of HS. I was going through a rough time with my ex so I thought what the hell.

The thing is though I didn't get high at all, because I smoke cigars pretty regularly and I don't inhale the smoke. So when I try to inhale this smoke I just absolutely couldn't get my reflexes to work right, so I never really got anything into my lungs.

Anywhoo, obviously it had no effect on me at all. Years from now if I get asked in a campaign if I've ever tried it then I can honestly answer "yes but I didn't inahale." NOBODY is going to believe me though. THANKS BILL!

If youre going to be a politician, who said you had to be honest? You could just, you know, say you never have. :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
5/24/2006, 12:12 AM
Well, now I can't.

Err, I noticed I put HS. I meant college not HS. Hah, no way in hell I'd have done that in HS.

Ike
5/24/2006, 12:21 AM

dont fret it, it's not like it matters... Obviously, pot smoking didn't hurt Clintons electability, nor did the coke hurt GWBs.

OUinFLA
5/24/2006, 12:22 AM
It did find a 20-fold increased risk of lung cancer in people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

wonder if they had any test subjects that smoked 40 joints a day?
bet that would skew the results some.
Of course that is assuming that such a person could even remember to breathe.
:D

TUSooner
5/24/2006, 08:08 AM
40 joints = asleep on the ceiling

HoserSooner
5/24/2006, 08:46 AM
I once worked as a roofer with a guy that would smoke 10-12 joints per day. Needless to say, I was the brains of the outfit. :D

yermom
5/24/2006, 08:53 AM
So uh... basically, these people were allowed to smoke pot for "research"? Heh.

i think it was more of a survey... they took data from bunch of people that had cancer and a bunch of people that didn't and they both had about the same likelyhood of smoking pot

at least i think that's how i read it

i think most of the pot smokers i've been around smoke cigarettes too though

HoserSooner
5/24/2006, 08:57 AM
i think most of the pot smokers i've been around smoke cigarettes too though

Almost all of the pot smokers that I know, actually don't smoke cigarettes. Allthough, they are ex-smokers so maybe there is a connection there.

picasso
5/24/2006, 09:33 AM
again I say, try having a decent conversation with a long time pot smoking type. cigs might give you cancer but the weed will make you as sharp as a pencil eraser.

walkoffsooner
5/24/2006, 09:36 AM
Ricky Williams sighting.

NormanPride
5/24/2006, 09:54 AM
dont fret it, it's not like it matters... Obviously, pot smoking didn't hurt Clintons electability, nor did the coke hurt GWBs.

You know, I've always thought that if a candidate came out and said something like "I punched a hooker once. Damn, did she deserve it." I'd love it. The media would probably try to crucify them, but deep down we'd all know. That guy is a badass.

OUinFLA
5/24/2006, 10:11 AM
don't you mean "poked"?

MamaMia
5/24/2006, 10:55 AM
Queen Victoria eased the discomfort of her menstrual cramps by having her doctor supply her with marijuana.

OzarkSooner
5/24/2006, 11:18 AM
don't you mean "poked"?

That's funny right there.

HoserSooner
5/24/2006, 01:09 PM
Queen Victoria eased the discomfort of her menstrual cramps by having her doctor supply her with marijuana.

That's the excuse I always use, but nobody seems to believe me? :cool: