PDA

View Full Version : KFC Chicken Bowls....

AllAboutThe'O'
5/23/2006, 09:13 PM
are greatness. Boneless chicken bites, mashed taters and gravy and corn off the cob all together in one bowl.

Plus, it's one rare instance where you have a KFC product that is not "finger' lickin' good."

That is all.

walkoffsooner
5/23/2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the report, going to try.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2006, 09:59 PM
I have to admit I am a lil scared of it....Cheese and gravy just doesnt seem to sound good together..

Jimminy Crimson
5/23/2006, 10:38 PM
They've got to get some use out of all their sporks, no? ;)

proud gonzo
5/23/2006, 11:00 PM
funny--I thought those things sounded absolutely revolting.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2006, 11:01 PM

me too......

I m a huge fan of the Carls jr. low carb bowl...mmmm tasty

and the 10000 calorie breakfast burger

TUSooner
5/24/2006, 07:56 AM
Me too, just the kind of absolutely revolting thing I'd like.

:rolleyes:

The cheese does seem a bit much, though. I guess it's an American thing.

walkoffsooner
5/24/2006, 07:58 AM
If you don't like it take it home and put bacon on it.

OUinFLA
5/24/2006, 07:59 AM
Im in.
course that means my waistline is out.

Okla-homey
5/24/2006, 08:00 AM
This is not a new concept.

The Brits (not famous for culinary greatness) have been making a similar dish for centuries. Of course, they use ground beef (they call "mince") instead of chicken, but it has the layered mashed spuds, corn, gravy, and cheese. They serve it in a ceramic bowl hot from the oven and call the dish "shepherds pie."

pretty good eats with a pint or six in a pub on a cold, rainy evening.

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 08:04 AM
KFC's mashed potatoes are disgusting. Bleh. they may as well put their nasty assed mac & cheese on it too.

TUSooner
5/24/2006, 08:04 AM
This is not a new concept.

The Brits (not famous for culinary greatness) have been making a similar dish for centuries. Of course, they use ground beef (they call "mince") instead of chicken, but it has the layered mashed spuds, corn, gravy, and cheese. They serve it in a ceramic bowl hot from the oven and call the dish "shepherds pie."

pretty good eats with a pint or six in a pub on a cold, rainy evening.
Yeah, immediatley after I posted the "American thing" I thought of shepherd's pie. You are way TOO sharp perfesser Homey. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
5/24/2006, 09:52 AM
KFC's mashed potatoes are disgusting. Bleh. they may as well put their nasty assed mac & cheese on it too.

On the rare occassion that I indulge in fast food, I actually like KFC's smashed taters and neon yellow mac & cheese. Popeye's mashed potatoes & gravy pwn KFC, though. But I've never had a good experience at the one by your place of bidness. :eddie:

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 09:57 AM
I like my potatoes to be real and I like my mac and cheese to be homemade. IMO, KFC's mac and cheese isn't even as good as the boxed stuff.

I don't really like that Popeyes. It always seems like I get short changed on the amount of food I get there. I've only been there about 4 times since it's been opened though. And they say their stuff is spicy, but it's not very.

Tear Down This Wall
5/24/2006, 10:02 AM
I've never been disappointed with Kentucky Fried Chicken or KFC. Never. I love their chicken food, even if it's not so-called "free range" stuff. Free range chicken can kiss my city-livin' arse up one side and down the other. I love the Snackers, too. Love.

Rhino
5/24/2006, 10:05 AM
It reminds me of that Taco Town commercial on SNL.

We take a crunchy, all-beef taco, smother it in nacho cheese, lettuce, tomato and our special southwestern sauce. Then we wrap it in a soft, flour tortilla with a layer of refried beans in-between. Then we wrap that in a savory corn tortilla with a middle layer of Monterey Jack cheese.

And it gets even awesomer, when we take a deep-fried gordita shell, smear on a little of our special "guacamolito" sauce and wrap that around the outside.

But it gets even bigger! Because we bake it in a corn husk filled with pico de gallo, then then wrap that in an authentic Parisian crepe, filled with egg, gruyere, merguez sausage and Portobello mushroom.

Then we wrap that in a Chicago style deep dish meat lovers pizza!

It's not a Taco Town taco until we roll it up in a blueberry pancake, dip it in batter and deep-fry it until it's golden brown. Then we serve it in all commemorative tote bag filled with spicy vegetarian chili. It's 15 great tastes all rolled into one.

The new pizza crepe taco pancake chili bag. Only at Taco Town.

Jimminy Crimson
5/24/2006, 10:12 AM
I don't really like that Popeyes. It always seems like I get short changed on the amount of food I get there. I've only been there about 4 times since it's been opened though. And they say their stuff is spicy, but it's not very.

I hate it when they shortchange me on condiments. I want a lot of hot sauce, honey, and cajun sprinkle.

:les: NOT JUST ONE PACKET OF EACH!!!

colleyvillesooner
5/24/2006, 10:14 AM

We take a crunchy, all-beef taco, smother it in nacho cheese, lettuce, tomato and our special southwestern sauce. Then we wrap it in a soft, flour tortilla with a layer of refried beans in-between. Then we wrap that in a savory corn tortilla with a middle layer of Monterey Jack cheese.

And it gets even awesomer, when we take a deep-fried gordita shell, smear on a little of our special "guacamolito" sauce and wrap that around the outside.

But it gets even bigger! Because we bake it in a corn husk filled with pico de gallo, then then wrap that in an authentic Parisian crepe, filled with egg, gruyere, merguez sausage and Portobello mushroom.

It's not a Taco Town taco until we roll it up in a blueberry pancake, dip it in batter and deep-fry it until it's golden brown. Then we serve it in all commemorative tote bag filled with spicy vegetarian chili. It's 15 great tastes all rolled into one.

http://www.taquitos.net/blogpic/TacoTown.jpg
http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/uploaded_images/taco-town-748172.jpg

Hatfield
5/24/2006, 10:21 AM
I had one the other day....prior to ordering i asked the young lady behind the counter if they had EMSA on speed dial.....I also asked if the cheese was added to clog the 2% of arteries that the rest of the bowl may have missed.

then i hit her with this regarding their "NEW FAMOUS BOWLS".....how can something be New AND Famous at the same time??? she was not impressed.

Hatfield
p.s. i am a fan of church's spicy chicken

Tear Down This Wall
This thread settles it, KFC Snackers for lunch and sech.

SoonerInKCMO
5/24/2006, 10:53 AM

That sounds freakin' awesome! I'ma droolin' over here.

TopDaugIn2000
5/24/2006, 11:11 AM

me too.

mashed taters, chicken, and gravy would be OK. but the corn and cheese just ruined it for me. bleh!

OzarkSooner
5/24/2006, 11:15 AM
I've been wanting to try one of those bowls. I think you'd have to pretty much eat it while it's hot and fresh though, otherwise it could get naRstY!

colleyvillesooner
5/24/2006, 11:18 AM
Getting one for lunch today, will update.

Mjcpr
5/24/2006, 11:19 AM
I thought the commercial had to be some kind of joke. It looked like they threw together a bunch of leftovers OR had the munchies.

Jimminy Crimson
5/24/2006, 11:21 AM
It looked like they threw together a bunch of leftovers OR had the munchies.

Both, actually. haha

...and I have to admit, they're not bad. :O

Vaevictis
5/24/2006, 11:45 AM
Popeyes Popeyes Popeyes Popeyes Popeyes Popeyes Popeyes.

Hmm.... maybe if I can find one of those around here, I'll have that for lunch. Bastards closed the one on Lindsey.

SoonerInKCMO
5/24/2006, 12:21 PM
KFC's mashed potatoes are disgusting. Bleh. they may as well put their delicious mac & cheese on it too.

Best idea you've ever had Norm!! :eddie:

Boarder
5/24/2006, 12:23 PM
The bowls remind me of scraps in the trash at Thanksgiving.

I used to work at KFC back in the day. At then end of the day, the taters were thrown out. Chicken and biscuits were divvied up between the closing emplyess, though. Somehow, a little before closing an extra country fried steak got cooked. Hmmm.

The taters are powder. The coleslaw is homemade fresh. The biscuits are homemade fresh. The spices are in a bag, already mixed. You mis the spices with flour. Gravy was powder, too. Chickens were precut. You had to break the thigh joint and tuck the wing tips, though. It's really not bad food. About as freshly made as fast food could be, I guess.

The bowls look really like crap to me, and I'll eat almost any fast food. The Taco Bell bowls rule.

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 12:33 PM
What about the nasty assed mac and cheese?

Boarder
5/24/2006, 12:41 PM
We didn't have mac and cheese back then. I'm sure it's canned. Mmmmm.

soonerhubs
5/24/2006, 12:45 PM
I miss Charlies Chicken. That's one thing I loved about Oklahoma.

snp
5/24/2006, 12:49 PM

Me too.

I can't wait to try this goulash.

mrowl
5/24/2006, 12:50 PM
KFC Famous Bowls-Mashed Potato with Gravy

Serving size 490
Calories 690
Calories from Fat 270
Total Fat 31
% Daily Value 47
Saturated Fat 9
% Daily Value 44
Trans Fat 4.5
Sodium 2110
Carbs 77
Sugars 5 27 8 10 20 20

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
5/24/2006, 01:01 PM

Overall: Meh

Good at the start, not so good at the end. Good idea for a part time promotion.

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 01:10 PM
KFC Famous Bowls-Mashed Potato with Gravy

Serving size 490
Calories 690
Calories from Fat 270
Total Fat 31
% Daily Value 47
Saturated Fat 9
% Daily Value 44
Trans Fat 4.5
Sodium 2110
Carbs 77
Sugars 5 27 8 10 20 20

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

From a Jamba Juice smoothie:

http://www.jambajuice.com/assets/menuguide/smoothies/aloha_32.gif

Scott D
5/24/2006, 01:19 PM
Three Buffalo Snackers to go...k'thx.

frankensooner
5/24/2006, 01:26 PM
Hey, They want the American Idol runner-up for the bowls! http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2006/05/22/daily8.html

mrowl
5/24/2006, 01:42 PM
From a Jamba Juice smoothie:

http://www.jambajuice.com/assets/menuguide/smoothies/aloha_32.gif

so we don't look at the fat grams anymore?

or that jamba juice uses fresh fruit, etc?

Boarder
5/24/2006, 01:54 PM
917g serving?

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/24/2006, 02:04 PM
I had a friend in grade school who lived on a farm. His dad had an agreement with the elementary schools in town that he would pick up the food scraps every day at no charge so that he could feed it to his pigs.

When I saw the kfc commercials, all I could think of was when he'd dump out the barrels of uneated gradeschool food into the pig slop trough.

proud gonzo
5/24/2006, 02:42 PM
heh

Norm In Norman
5/24/2006, 03:46 PM
I don't, nor do I care (obviously), i just thought it was funny that a smoothie had almost the same calories as KFC's thing.

SoonerAtKU
5/24/2006, 07:14 PM
The new pizza crepe taco pancake chili bag. Only at Taco Town.[/I]

http://blog.myspace.com/drewsloan

Scroll down to the second posting. Friends of mine that actually made those for a birthday. Then ate them.

Ate.

Them.

StoopTroup
5/24/2006, 07:18 PM
http://www.londonstimes.us/toons/cartoons/dave_kfc.gif

Rhino
5/24/2006, 10:13 PM
Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eye! And that smug look on his face, "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

stoops the eternal pimp
5/24/2006, 10:37 PM
Because he puts a secret ingredient in his chicken that makes yoou crave it fortnightly, smart***!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/24/2006, 10:40 PM
1.) Well it's a well know fact, sonny Jim, that there's a group of the five wealthiest people in the world known as the pentaverate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers. And meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion known as, the Meadows.
So who's in this pentaverate? The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettes, The Rothchilds and Col. Sanders before he went tets up.

Rhino
5/24/2006, 10:56 PM
http://blog.myspace.com/drewsloan

Scroll down to the second posting. Friends of mine that actually made those for a birthday. Then ate them.

Ate.

Them. Holy crap, dude. I'm going to have to buy those guys a round of beers next time I see them.

colleyvillesooner
6/17/2006, 10:54 PM
http://www.taquitos.net/blogpic/TacoTown.jpg
http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/uploaded_images/taco-town-748172.jpg

It's on right now!!!!! NBC!!!!!

Al Gore
6/17/2006, 11:00 PM
I don't like my foods mixed or touching each other......OUT!!!!!!!!!

StoopTroup
6/17/2006, 11:03 PM
I don't like my foods mixed or touching each other......OUT!!!!!!!!!
Do you like salad?

walkoffsooner
6/18/2006, 04:54 AM
I ate one. Pretty good.

BillyBall
6/18/2006, 08:17 AM
Just reading/hearing the description of a KFC Chicken Bowl will take a year off your life.

GottaHavePride
6/18/2006, 10:40 AM
Me too.

I can't wait to try this goulash.

Goulash is Hungarian. KFC's revolting mostrosity is no goulash.

Mashed potatoes and gravy = good.
Chicken + gravy = good.
Cheese + potatoes = good.
cheese + chicken = good.
Cheese + corn = ok, if it's cornbread.

BUT

Cheese + gravy = ****
Corn + gravy = ****
Corn + potatoes = gah.

MamaMia
6/18/2006, 10:49 AM
I have never understood the meaning behind altering the state of a mashed potato. Mashed potatoes are without a doubt the easiest thing in the world to fix. Why would anyone dehydrate, powder, flake or fake them? Is it all that hard to just peel, boil, add some cream and mash up some potatoes?

Cam
6/18/2006, 11:28 AM
They're not too bad. Personally, I could do without the corn.

My kids love'em though.

Jimminy Crimson
6/18/2006, 12:02 PM
I have never understood the meaning behind altering the state of a mashed potato. Mashed potatoes are without a doubt the easiest thing in the world to fix. Why would anyone dehydrate, powder, flake or fake them? Is it all that hard to just peel, boil, add some cream and mash up some potatoes?

We're talking a fast food restaurant. :eddie:

You think they know the meaning of quality? ;)

GDC
6/18/2006, 01:35 PM
I thought the Illuminati ruled the world as half-alien hybrids.

I'm about to try a rice bowl.

GDC
6/18/2006, 05:29 PM
Okay, I ate it, it was okay, I probably won't go back for another.

Vaevictis
6/18/2006, 07:23 PM
I have never understood the meaning behind altering the state of a mashed potato. Mashed potatoes are without a doubt the easiest thing in the world to fix.

From the point of view of a large franchising company (like KFC), it's about consistency and money.

Centralized prep of food is the easiest way to ensure consistency -- which franchises *must* have. Franchise companies also like to sell *everything* to the franchisees; why would a franchisee buy plain old potatos from the franchiser? Also, I expect it's probably cheaper to centralize the infrastructure for boiling and processing the potatos and have the franchisees just add water, milk, heat and stir.

walkoffsooner
6/18/2006, 07:46 PM
If you grew up poor you will love them. If you grew up rich who cares.:D

MamaMia
6/18/2006, 10:59 PM
From the point of view of a large franchising company (like KFC), it's about consistency and money.

Centralized prep of food is the easiest way to ensure consistency -- which franchises *must* have. Franchise companies also like to sell *everything* to the franchisees; why would a franchisee buy plain old potatos from the franchiser? Also, I expect it's probably cheaper to centralize the infrastructure for boiling and processing the potatos and have the franchisees just add water, milk, heat and stir.Oh. Well, leave it up to big business to make mashed potatoes all complicated. Kentucky Fried Chicken better not try to peddle that "wholesome" nonsense to me.