PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned? (car question)...

AllAboutThe'O'
5/23/2006, 03:53 PM
So I'm driving the streets of the big city today on a hot afternoon, when I noticed that the temperature gauge in my car was getting pretty close to the "H" mark. It was hovering around the 3/4 hot mark.
Currently, I've had my car for about six years and for the most part haven't had any serious trouble (it's got over 130,000 miles on it BTW). The hottest my car's ever been has been about when the needle was hovering around the below 1/2 mark.
The last car that I owned had the engine fan conk out on me the last couple of years I had it, so I had to be very careful when I drove, especially in urban areas in the middle of summer, because one stop of the car would jump the needle closer and closer to the "H" mark.
With summer fast approaching, I'm starting to get concerned that my car's engine fan may be getting on the fritz. So fellow SF.commers, do you recommend I go ahead and get it checked out ASAP or is it just one of those fluke things?

Osce0la
5/23/2006, 03:55 PM
Ignore it, it'll go away, and you save money. ywia.

StoopTroup
5/23/2006, 04:18 PM
Have it checked out.

It could be a number of things.

In this case it might be prudent to have it checked out before it reaches 100 degrees everyday or your car strands you on the side of the road.

Pricetag
5/23/2006, 04:29 PM
I had that happen in a car a couple of years back. The thermostat had gone kaput. Cheap, easy fix.

TopDaugIn2000
5/23/2006, 04:31 PM
move someplace cold.

handcrafted
5/23/2006, 05:09 PM
So I'm driving the streets of the big city today on a hot afternoon, when I noticed that the temperature gauge in my car was getting pretty close to the "H" mark. It was hovering around the 3/4 hot mark.
Currently, I've had my car for about six years and for the most part haven't had any serious trouble (it's got over 130,000 miles on it BTW). The hottest my car's ever been has been about when the needle was hovering around the below 1/2 mark.
The last car that I owned had the engine fan conk out on me the last couple of years I had it, so I had to be very careful when I drove, especially in urban areas in the middle of summer, because one stop of the car would jump the needle closer and closer to the "H" mark.
With summer fast approaching, I'm starting to get concerned that my car's engine fan may be getting on the fritz. So fellow SF.commers, do you recommend I go ahead and get it checked out ASAP or is it just one of those fluke things?

Check it out at once, before you blow a headgasket and need $1500 worth of engine repairs. Yes, the words of experienced wisdom.

If the cooling fan is on the fritz, find out now, get it fixed, and have the mechanic check everything else out to make sure it's okay.

soonerjoker
5/25/2006, 09:17 AM
check the coolant level.

yermom
5/25/2006, 09:46 AM
yeah, and most cars it's pretty easy to see if the fan is working...

walkoffsooner
5/25/2006, 09:47 AM
Clean the radiator for starters. Blow out with water hose from both sides and its free and check hoses make sure there isn't one collapsed.

scaldeddawg
5/25/2006, 09:47 AM
Yep, probably a little low on Antifreeze.

JohnnyMack
5/25/2006, 09:50 AM
move someplace cold.

This is clearly the most cost effective solution to this problem.

Nicely done.

Whizbang
5/25/2006, 09:59 AM
Have you noticed your A/C running hot while you're idling and then cooling off once the RPM's rise? If so.......

Thermostat, Thermostat, Thermostat...........

$20 to fix. Don't let them talk you into the $500 fix.

oumartin
5/25/2006, 10:18 AM
u need to make sure the fan is not just free wheelin' as well. you will need to try to stop it with your fingers.. ywia

Czar Soonerov
5/25/2006, 10:56 AM
u need to make sure the fan is not just free wheelin' as well. you will need to try to stop it with your fingers.. ywia

BEST ADVICE EVAR! :eddie:

Flagstaffsooner
5/25/2006, 11:35 AM
Coolant level, water pump, fan belt, hoses, thermostat and even low oil or low oil pressure.

proud gonzo
5/25/2006, 12:41 PM
blinker fluid

AllAboutThe'O'
5/25/2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
Went to get it checked on yesterday and it turned out that the radiator valve wasn't fastened on real tight so they took care of it and the temperature gauge is back to what it used to be, 1/4 hot even in the current searing conditions.
And all it cost me was $24 in the end.:D

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 02:08 PM
What is a radiator valve?

AllAboutThe'O'
5/25/2006, 02:29 PM
What is a radiator valve?
Don't ask me, I'm not an expert on cars.

Mjcpr
5/25/2006, 02:36 PM
I was thinking it's nice way of saying 'radiator cap'.

olevetonahill
5/25/2006, 02:37 PM
Paid 24 bucks for some coolant and to have your radiator CAP tightened ?
cool

olevetonahill
5/25/2006, 06:27 PM
Man I need to charge more
A guy pulled an old truck into my shop. He couldnt get it to start . I put 20 bucks worth of gas made some adjustments, Reattached vacume hose's, Changed fuel filter , Charged him 60 bucks and felt like I was robbing him
It was just outta gas . But i spent 3 hrs or more tracking down the vacume problems