PDA

View Full Version : warping young minds...

Ike
5/23/2006, 03:12 PM
One of the guys I play baseball with on the weekends has asked me to come and help coach his sons little league team, specifically to help coach his pitchers, which include his son. So the first workout is this evening. I've got a set of drills lined up and points I want to drive home. I figure the first thing I'll have em work on is breathing through their eyelids.

I could really do some damage here.

SoonerInKCMO
5/23/2006, 03:26 PM
Whenever people suggest to me that I need to get married and have some kids, I'll humor them and try to run through the possible advantages of having said children. Warping their impressionable little minds is always at the top of the list.

Ike
5/23/2006, 03:43 PM
heh. I really don't plan on warping them too much (except for the eyelid breathing...thats really a must for pitching). To be honest, I'm a little bit honored that someone else thinks I'd be able to teach their kid something.

Osce0la
5/23/2006, 03:48 PM
heh. I really don't plan on warping them too much (except for the eyelid breathing...thats really a must for pitching). To be honest, I'm a little bit honored that someone else thinks I'd be able to teach their kid something.
Chris Rix is teaching quarterbacking skills now...People will take anybody and let them train other people...

Ike
5/23/2006, 04:09 PM
Chris Rix is teaching quarterbacking skills now...People will take anybody and let them train other people...

well, this guy gets to see me pitch every week, so he knows what I've got. I just hope that I can transfer that knowledge well.

And with Rix, hey, he might be a good coach. Some of the best coaches I know in baseball weren't all that great as players.

Osce0la
5/23/2006, 04:26 PM
well, this guy gets to see me pitch every week, so he knows what I've got. I just hope that I can transfer that knowledge well.

And with Rix, hey, he might be a good coach. Some of the best coaches I know in baseball weren't all that great as players.
I blame a lot of Rix' failures on his coaching (not all, but some). He made a lot of boneheaded decisions, but a lot of the stuff he did wrong just seemed like simply a lack of coaching.

oumartin
5/23/2006, 04:49 PM
Ike, its called softball at your age not baseball. ;)

Stanley1
5/23/2006, 05:23 PM
Ike, its called softball at your age not baseball. ;)

Nope, he's probably in one of those icantletgoofthepastmensbaseballleagues. :D

colleyvillesooner
5/23/2006, 05:26 PM

Better than a iusedtobuntinteeballandstillclaimtit'sglory league

or a Homerunsareanoutinmysoftball league.

;)

oumartin
5/23/2006, 05:28 PM
no its the icantseemefeetformybellyandimdrunkbeforegametime softball league.

Stanley1
5/23/2006, 05:37 PM
Better than a iusedtobuntinteeballandstillclaimtit'sglory league

;)

:mad:

Stanley1
5/23/2006, 05:43 PM

;)

Oh.....and I'm starting in a new league tonight. Each team gets 3 HR's before they are outs, so TAKE THAT!!!!! :rolleyes:

OCUDad
5/23/2006, 05:46 PM
Any time you ask a left-hander (much less a left-handed pitcher) to coach anything, you are asking for trouble.

Ike
5/23/2006, 08:24 PM

heh. its actually a softballisjusttoofrickinboringmensbaseball league.

Stanley1
5/23/2006, 11:41 PM
heh. its actually a softballisjusttoofrickinboringmensbaseball league.

Heh.

I played in a men's baseball league my jr and sr year in college. Had a blast, but I'm just not in good enough shape right now, and don't have the time to commit. Was fun though.

Fugue
5/24/2006, 08:49 AM
Oh.....and I'm starting in a new league tonight. Each team gets 3 HR's before they are outs, so TAKE THAT!!!!! :rolleyes:

the thing that blows with this is if you get up with no one on base.

"Dude, quit hitting solo shots."

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/24/2006, 10:08 AM
Oh great. More Little League drama. I can't stand it!

BTW, my niece's "draft" turned out well. She started practice with her new team last night. She can't play league with my nephew, but she can kick his *** when her team plays his.

Ike
5/24/2006, 02:02 PM
well, they can't breathe through their eyelids yet, but they seem to at least understand the concept. It'll take em a bit of work.

I don't hate kids yet. It was kinda fun. To be honest, I wasn't really prepared for the way 9 and 10 year olds respond to coaching....I'm more used to coaching HS kids who are a little more able to do exactly what you tell them to with their bodies when giving them a drill to do. So there was a bit of learning on my part, as far as learning how to get these kids to do the drills I wanted them to do at least somewhat properly. Even while that was just a tad frustrating, what was great was seeing how much these kids loved getting out there and tossing a baseball around.

Oh, and SBSB, what your nephew and nieces league is doing is pure BS for BS's sake. just let the damn kids play ball for chrisssake. Oh, and I thought you would like to know that this little league team I'm helping to coach now also has a girl on the team. She has one of the better arms on the team too.

walkoffsooner
5/24/2006, 02:07 PM
Girl's bodies mature earlier than boys.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/24/2006, 02:31 PM
well, they can't breathe through their eyelids yet, but they seem to at least understand the concept. It'll take em a bit of work.

I don't hate kids yet. It was kinda fun. To be honest, I wasn't really prepared for the way 9 and 10 year olds respond to coaching....I'm more used to coaching HS kids who are a little more able to do exactly what you tell them to with their bodies when giving them a drill to do. So there was a bit of learning on my part, as far as learning how to get these kids to do the drills I wanted them to do at least somewhat properly. Even while that was just a tad frustrating, what was great was seeing how much these kids loved getting out there and tossing a baseball around.

Oh, and SBSB, what your nephew and nieces league is doing is pure BS for BS's sake. just let the damn kids play ball for chrisssake. Oh, and I thought you would like to know that this little league team I'm helping to coach now also has a girl on the team. She has one of the better arms on the team too.At her first practice last night one of the parents told my brother, "I knew we were getting a new player. Didn't know she'd be a ringer."

Last weekend some arse said "oh they just called her safe cause she's a girl." We use it as motivation all the time telling her people think she can't hit cause she's a girl.