PDA

View Full Version : Should Men ever own cats?

TexasLidig8r
5/23/2006, 02:39 PM
While contemplating the manlaws commercials and life in general, the question came to my noggin.. should single men ever own a cat? Should an urban man, living by himself, who is self-sufficient, ever own a cat?

No.. I say.. No.

They shed, they ignore you, they're annoying, their "kitty litter" smells up a house.. they're chick's pets.

The only time cats need to be tolerated is if a really hawt woman you are seeing owns one.. and that is only for the first few months of the relationship.

http://www.tsuji-johnson.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/Adrian/B3TA/DCDU.jpg

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 02:41 PM
Cats like peanut butter too.

Just sayin'......

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:41 PM
it's a good thing Froz doesn't post anymore :D

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 02:42 PM
Lid,

You are right. Men with cats are wrong. Men who own cats probably think Waylon Jennings and Toby Keith fall within the same musical classification. Far from, chilluns, far from.

Melo
5/23/2006, 02:42 PM
Cats like peanut butter too.

Just sayin'......

I wonder if that means what I think it means... :O

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 02:43 PM
They shed, they ignore you, they're annoying, their "kitty litter" smells up a house.. they're chick's pets.

Dogs shed. Dogs can be annoying. Dogs smell up the house when they **** or **** on the carpet because they can't use a litter box.

Three words: Guinea Pigs

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 02:44 PM
C-A-T is G-A-Y when it comes to dudes.

OUinFLA
5/23/2006, 02:52 PM
I strongly disagree !

The last time I was single, I had the weirdest Siamese female. I decided that getting her bred and having kittens would be a chick magnet.

Upon arrival of the litter of kittens, about the time they hit 4 weeks of age and were all cute and stuff, I decided to check out my new ploy.

A rather great looking girl with whom I only had a casual "speak to when you see each other" relationship got on the elevator with me one afternoon.
I decided now was the time, so I said in my sexiest voice " Would you like to come up to my apt and see my new kittens?"
She replied with......"I love kittens!"
while muttering under her breath "I can't believe this dork asked me to his apartment, using innocent kittens as a ploy"

To make a loooooooooooog story shorter, we will be celebrating our 30th anniversary next month, and we still have cats.

I never did get another chance to see how well my "kitten" line would work out, as we were inseperable after that ride in the elevator.

Think twice single men, before you toss the cat out with the bathwater.

crawfish
5/23/2006, 02:54 PM
I'm gay. Blah blah blah blah blah.

;)

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:55 PM
I strongly disagree !

The last time I was single, I had the weirdest Siamese female. I decided that getting her bred and having kittens would be a chick magnet.

Upon arrival of the litter of kittens, about the time they hit 4 weeks of age and were all cute and stuff, I decided to check out my new ploy.

A rather great looking girl with whom I only had a casual "speak to when you see each other" relationship got on the elevator with me one afternoon.
I decided now was the time, so I said in my sexiest voice " Would you like to come up to my apt and see my new kittens?"
She replied with......"I love kittens!"
while muttering under her breath "I can't believe this dork asked me to his apartment, using innocent kittens as a ploy"

To make a loooooooooooog story shorter, we will be celebrating our 30th anniversary next month, and we still have cats.

I never did get another chance to see how well my "kitten" line would work out, as we were inseperable after that ride in the elevator.

Think twice single men, before you toss the cat out with the bathwater.

yeah, but then you have to deal with chicks that like cats ;)

OUinFLA
5/23/2006, 02:58 PM
Every man should have **ssy at home.

It shows your sensitive side.
:D

You cannot view what Crawfish posted.
Crawfish is on your ignore list, which is only appropriate, as he never has anything worthwhile to say

slickdawg
5/23/2006, 03:03 PM
Lid,

You are right. Men with cats are wrong. Men who own cats probably think Waylon Jennings and Toby Keith fall within the same musical classification. Far from, chilluns, far from.

Man, you ever say that again, I'll neg you to DEATH!

;)

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 03:03 PM
This man probably owns a cat
http://maxham.com/mark/pics/gay-french-superhero-2.jpg

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 03:04 PM
Man, you ever say that again, I'll neg you to DEATH!

;)

Toby Keith prolly has a cat :eek:

slickdawg
5/23/2006, 03:05 PM
Toby Keith prolly has a cat :eek:

Waylon got all the "cat" he ever wanted. WAYLON ROOOLED!

TexasLidig8r
5/23/2006, 03:19 PM
I strongly disagree !

The last time I was single, . . .

Uh... NIXON WAS IN THE WHITE HOUSE THE LAST TIME YOU WERE SINGLE!

Oh congrats on that.. and.. I'm not sayin.. I'm just.. sayin. :D

mrowl
5/23/2006, 03:24 PM
this has already been decided by the official gay or not gay council.

Bob and Dan voted gay.

Sooner_Bob
5/23/2006, 03:32 PM
My wife brought home a couple of rabbits a week or so ago and those things are pretty cool. Our girls love 'em.

And their cat.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/23/2006, 03:56 PM
I've had a cat as recently as two years ago. So I've never had a problem owning cats. I also like dogs, but if I ever get another pet, I may wait until I move into a house instead of an apartment.

StoopTroup
5/23/2006, 04:06 PM
No.

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 04:12 PM
The only men allowed to own cats are over 60, worth at least one billion dollars, and have James Bond as their arch enemy. And the cat has to be a white persian trained to detonate explosives.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2006, 04:17 PM
This thread reminds me of one a long time ago where there was a debate about how many times a man should wipe his butt. Too many times and you're gay - not enough and you're manly but stinky and itchy.

All I remember about that thread was that bri WENT OFF. He was all 'WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! YOU WIPE AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES TO NOT HAVE $HIT ON YOUR A$$!'...

I remember laughing really hard at that thread...

White House Boy
5/23/2006, 04:30 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0125/photo/a_siegroy_i.jpg

Case closed.

NormanPride
5/23/2006, 04:52 PM
I have a cat that acts like a dog. Does that count? He's more playful and violent than any dog I've ever had. Plus, I'd feel bad if I had a dog in an apartment that couldn't run around outside while I was at work...

tbl
5/23/2006, 05:19 PM
Guys that think cats are not good pets haven't thought it through. Also, the gay stigma is retarded. Let's compare the two, and I challenge anybody here to refute the logic of the cat being the superior indoor pet.

Catboxes stink, but you take them out once a week and put them in an incospicuous area and you only know it's there when you go change it. Cats NEVER poop or pee anywhere other than their catbox. I put my catbox in a closet that I've cut a pet door into. You NEVER smell it until you go in to change it (which takes less than 2 minutes to do).
vs.
You have to constantly let dogs outside to poop and pee, and they do it all over your yard. You have to either walk behind them, be the jerkhead that lets their dog crap in their neighbors yards (antifreeze cocktail coming up), or let it pile up in your yard, and thus in your shoe crackswhen it's time to mow. The kids can't play outside unless you're constantly picking it up for the same reasons. If you don't let the dog out at the right time, it will pee or poop in your house, on your carpet.

Cats don't potty train. You put a kitten in the box and it will go there for the rest of its life. I've had MANY cats in my life and every one of them have done this. NEVER had an accident.
vs.
Potty training dogs is very trying for both parties. Poop and pee in the carpet are inevitable, even if its a super smart dog. Spanking the dog, rubbing it's nose in it, etc, all suck bad for the dog.

Cats don't stink, at ALL. Cats don't need baths... ever.
vs.
Dogs stink ALL the time, even if you bathe them (which you have to do constantly). Thus, your entire house smells like a dog. You may not realize it b/c you're used to that dog smell, but anybody that comes into your house can smell it (unless their noses are immune from their own dog stink). We don't tell you b/c it's rude, but your house does stink. Sorry... it does.

Cats don't drool, and they rarely lick you. When they do, it's not wet but sandy.
vs.
Dogs drool all the time and when they lick you, it stinks like crazy and it's sopping wet.

Cats meow from time to time, but it's never obnoxiously loud and is never heard outside.
vs.
Dogs bark. LOUD. They annoy everybody around them. When you put them outside, they drive your neighbors insane. When you're watching TV and somebody rings the doorbell, time has to stop to let the stupid dog calm down. This is one of the biggest wins on a cats side.

Cats shed.
vs.
Dogs shed. Tie on this one, unless you have a preference for the type of hair. Cat hair is much more fine, and easier to pick up... but it all sucks.

Cats are affectionate, but they don't need constant attention. Any cat I've ever had would always let me pet it whenever, and also let me pick them up and love on them. If a cat jumps in my lap and I don't feel like holding them, it's not a big deal. They walk away ticked off and go lick themselves.
vs.
Dogs need CONSTANT attention. If they come up to you wanting attention, you have to give it to them or they will explode. With this urge often comes whining and pawing, which usually results in scratching.

Cats can be left alone, and they're fine. Going on vacation? Not a problem. Leave them enough food and cat litter and everything will be fine. If you're gone longer than a week, have a neighbor stop by and check on them. Not much to it.
vs.
Dogs must travel with you or go to a kennell, which usually traumatizes their sensitive feelings. If you decide to take them, you inconvenience everybody you come around b/c NOBODY WANTS YOUR STUPID DOG IN THEIR HOUSE. If you're staying in a hotel, try finding a place that's cool with you leaving a dog alone in the hotel room to bark and destroy their carpet. It's hard enough to go to work for the day with a dog in the house. If you do that, you either have to kennell train them (which is real nice, leaving a dog in a tiny kennell all day), or let them do their business on the floor. There is also a decent chance that something will get destroyed or chewed up. Did I mention the barking?

Cats can't kill, maim, or disfigure your children or other people.
vs.
Dogs can. Obviously we're only talking about bigger dogs, but it is possible.

Cats don't need to be walked. They can live their entire life indoors and it's no big deal.
vs.
Dogs constantly have to be let out, even if it's pouring rain.

I concede that cats can claw furniture, HOWEVER, they won't as long as you provide them a good scratching area. We have a tall cat tree that our cat LOVES and he never scratches the furniture. You can also declaw them.
vs.
Dogs can destroy furniture just as easily with their claws and the constant jumping up and down.

Cats don't breathe in your face. Their breath passes through their nose, and you never smell it. Even if they're breathing out of their mouth, it's never hard enough to smell unless you're right up on them.
vs.
Dogs pant and breathe their stinking breath right in your face, oftentimes while you're trying to eat. They don't have to exert energy to pour their hot breath into your face. They just pant like an idiot, with no regard of how bad it's offending you. Not all dogs are as bad, but ALL dogs pant and it always stinks. Hot, stinky, and in large volumes.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of for now.... Smoke it!

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 05:19 PM
I have a cat that acts like a dog. Does that count? He's more playful and violent than any dog I've ever had. Plus, I'd feel bad if I had a dog in an apartment that couldn't run around outside while I was at work...

So, your cat is to other cats what Vito Spatafore is to other canoli eaters.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2006, 05:21 PM
Guys that think cats are not good pets haven't thought it through. Also, the gay stigma is retarded. Let's compare the two, and I challenge anybody here to refute the logic of the cat being the superior indoor pet.

Catboxes stink, but you take them out once a week and put them in an incospicuous area and you only know it's there when you go change it. Cats NEVER poop or pee anywhere other than their catbox. I put my catbox in a closet that I've cut a pet door into. You NEVER smell it until you go in to change it (which takes less than 2 minutes to do).
vs.
You have to constantly let dogs outside to poop and pee, and they do it all over your yard. You have to either walk behind them, be the jerkhead that lets their dog crap in their neighbors yards (antifreeze cocktail coming up), or let it pile up in your yard, and thus in your shoe crackswhen it's time to mow. The kids can't play outside unless you're constantly picking it up for the same reasons. If you don't let the dog out at the right time, it will pee or poop in your house, on your carpet.

Cats don't potty train. You put a kitten in the box and it will go there for the rest of its life. I've had MANY cats in my life and every one of them have done this. NEVER had an accident.
vs.
Potty training dogs is very trying for both parties. Poop and pee in the carpet are inevitable, even if its a super smart dog. Spanking the dog, rubbing it's nose in it, etc, all suck bad for the dog.

Cats don't stink, at ALL. Cats don't need baths... ever.
vs.
Dogs stink ALL the time, even if you bathe them (which you have to do constantly). Thus, your entire house smells like a dog. You may not realize it b/c you're used to that dog smell, but anybody that comes into your house can smell it (unless their noses are immune from their own dog stink). We don't tell you b/c it's rude, but your house does stink. Sorry... it does.

Cats don't drool, and they rarely lick you. When they do, it's not wet but sandy.
vs.
Dogs drool all the time and when they lick you, it stinks like crazy and it's sopping wet.

Cats meow from time to time, but it's never obnoxiously loud and is never heard outside.
vs.
Dogs bark. LOUD. They annoy everybody around them. When you put them outside, they drive your neighbors insane. When you're watching TV and somebody rings the doorbell, time has to stop to let the stupid dog calm down. This is one of the biggest wins on a cats side.

Cats shed.
vs.
Dogs shed. Tie on this one, unless you have a preference for the type of hair. Cat hair is much more fine, and easier to pick up... but it all sucks.

Cats are affectionate, but they don't need constant attention. Any cat I've ever had would always let me pet it whenever, and also let me pick them up and love on them. If a cat jumps in my lap and I don't feel like holding them, it's not a big deal. They walk away ticked off and go lick themselves.
vs.
Dogs need CONSTANT attention. If they come up to you wanting attention, you have to give it to them or they will explode. With this urge often comes pawing, which usually results in scratching.

Cats can be left alone, and they're fine. Going on vacation? Not a problem. Leave them enough food and cat litter and everything will be fine. If you're gone longer than a week, have a neighbor stop by and check on them. Not much to it.
vs.
Dogs must travel with you or go to a kennell, which usually traumatizes their sensitive feelings. If you decide to take them, you inconvenience everybody you come around b/c NOBODY WANTS YOUR STUPID DOG IN THEIR HOUSE. If you're staying in a hotel, try finding a place that's cool with you leaving a dog alone in the hotel room to bark and destroy their carpet. It's hard enough to go to work for the day with a dog in the house. If you do that, you either have to kennell train them (which is real nice, leaving a dog in a tiny kennell all day), or let them do their business on the floor. There is also a decent chance that something will get destroyed or chewed up. Did I mention the barking?

vs.
Dogs can. Obviously we're only talking about bigger dogs, but it is possible.

Cats don't need to be walked. They can live their entire life indoors and it's no big deal.
vs.
Dogs constantly have to be let out, even if it's pouring rain.

I concede that cats can claw furniture, HOWEVER, they won't as long as you provide them a good scratching area. We have a tall cat tree that our cat LOVES and he never scratches the furniture. You can also declaw them.
vs.
Dogs can destroy furniture just as easily with their claws and the constant jumping up and down.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of for now.... Smoke it!

If Dean sees this - he will eat you alive...

:meat:

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 05:26 PM
Cats NEVER poop or pee anywhere other than their catbox.
False - I have the shoes to prove it.

Cats purr from time to time, but it's never obnoxiously loud and is never heard outside.
False - ask Elaine Benes

Cats are affectionate
Blatantly False - Cats hate people, it is a proven fact.

False - a scratched retina is considered disfiguring.

Smoke it!
Hey, you're the one with the cat.

Viking Kitten
5/23/2006, 05:30 PM
'WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! YOU WIPE AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES TO NOT HAVE $HIT ON YOUR A$$!'...

I am considering making this my sig.

Sooner_Bob
5/23/2006, 05:34 PM
This thread reminds me of one a long time ago where there was a debate about how many times a man should wipe his butt. Too many times and you're gay - not enough and you're manly but stinky and itchy.

All I remember about that thread was that bri WENT OFF. He was all 'WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! YOU WIPE AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES TO NOT HAVE $HIT ON YOUR A$$!'...

I don't remember the thread, but I agree with bri . . . :eddie:

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2006, 05:35 PM
I am considering making this my sig.

YES! I always wanted to be someone's sig!

I wish I could find it - it was comedy gold ...

Czar Soonerov
5/23/2006, 05:40 PM
I don't remember the thread, but I agree with bri . . . :eddie:
fag

;)

Viking Kitten
5/23/2006, 05:42 PM
YES! I always wanted to be someone's sig!

But if technically it was Bri, I'd have to add a cumbersome footnote, because I'm a stickler for proper attribution.

Getem
5/23/2006, 06:32 PM
Actually, if you're a single guy and not gay, then you're not neat either. So, you gotta have a cat unless you would rather live with furry little friends that crawl up your pants leg when you are having your Sunday afternoon nap. After catching a rat that was over a foot long including the tail, I went with the cat. The two dogs keep her from thinking she's all that.

Tailwind
5/23/2006, 06:37 PM
Real men can have any pet they want. :D

TexasLidig8r
5/23/2006, 06:37 PM
Aren't cats kind of like... women?

When you want them around and want to give them affection and attention, if they had a middle paw, they'd be sticking it up at you and ignoring you.

When you want to be left alone, they rub up against your leg, demanding attention, crawling in your lap...

Cats are fickle as hell and will rub up and purr against anyone walking in your front door.

bri
5/23/2006, 06:39 PM

The fact that there was any question about it makes me sad to this day.

VeeJay
5/23/2006, 07:01 PM
Cats are of no good use to men, insofar as I can tell.

My gf before I met Mrs. VJ had one. She moved into a condo up the highway a ways before we went to Splitsville, but her condo had a strict rule: No Pets.

She's put the ornery little critter in her laundry basket, cover it with a towel and make me take it up the stairs.

The varmint would be up half the night (the cat, not the gf). There was a thin line on the carpet in the bathroom, which was a carpet seam actually. At 3 a.m. I'd wake up hearing "pop....pop....pop." The cat was swatting at the seam in the carpet in the near total darkness. GF said the cat thought it was a snake.

And the damned thing would scratch the hell out of me, too.

tbl
5/23/2006, 07:02 PM
Aren't cats kind of like... women?

When you want them around and want to give them affection and attention, if they had a middle paw, they'd be sticking it up at you and ignoring you.

When you want to be left alone, they rub up against your leg, demanding attention, crawling in your lap...

Cats are fickle as hell and will rub up and purr against anyone walking in your front door.
Further proof that you're gay... You love men, therefore you hate cats. ;)

tbl
5/23/2006, 07:04 PM
I like cats.
John Wayne liked cats.
Barry Switzer has cats.
Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Hickock had cats.
Wilt Chamberlain loved cats.
I can't prove any of this but it makes sense.
Cats are meat eating hunters who don't give a sh!t3 about anybody else.
The Boz loves cats. So do TRRW, Josh Heupel, and Rocky Calmus.

OUinFLA
5/23/2006, 11:29 PM
Hello,
My name is OUinFLA and....
and........
I love ca.......er.....
I love pus......oops...
I love............

Well, heck, I like cats and one helped me catch Mrs. OUinFLA.
After 30 years I'd be stupid to blame the cat.