PDA

View Full Version : RIP Lloyd Bentsen

critical_phil
5/23/2006, 01:07 PM
he knew jack kennedy.....

Former U.S. Senator Lloyd Bentsen, who represented Texas for nearly three decades on Capitol Hill and then went on to serve as Treasury Secretary and to run for vice president died Tuesday at his home in Houston, family members said.Bentsen was 85.

His distinguished political career took him from the humble beginnings of a county office in the Rio Grande Valley in the 1940s to six years in the U.S. House, 22 in the U-S Senate and two in the Clinton Cabinet.
As Clinton's first treasury secretary, he was instrumental in directing the administration's economic policy.
Bentsen ran for vice president as Michael Dukakis' running-mate in 1988.
It was during that campaign that he told rival Dan Quayle in a debate, "You're no Jack Kennedy."
Bentsen also waged an unsuccessful campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1976.
Jimmy Carter won that nomination.
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, who succeeded Bentsen in the Senate, issued a statement saying she hopes Americans “keep his family in their thoughts and prayers.”
“Lloyd Bentsen was a great Texan who served our nation admirably as a senator and secretary of the Treasury. He was very kind to me when I was elected to fill his seat in the Senate and brought great credit to Texas during his public service tenure,” she said.
Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, echoed Hutchison’s praise.
“Today our country mourns the loss of a great Texan, a man who dedicated his life to public service,” Cornyn said.
“Lloyd Bentsen’s distinguished career earned him a reputation as a giant in Texas politics. He was a powerful voice for our state, and he will be deeply missed,” he said.
Gov. Rick Perry, who ordered flags at state buildings flown at half staff in Bentsen’s honor, called on Texans to “remember and honor his life of service.”
“Today we mourn the loss of a war hero and true Texas leader who earned the respect of the nation with his dedication to public service,” Perry said

slickdawg
5/23/2006, 01:09 PM
Maybe he can say hey to ol' jack. Then again, ol' jack might be in a different place. :eek:

TUSooner
5/23/2006, 01:16 PM
He did make Dan Quayle look really stupider.

slickdawg
5/23/2006, 01:17 PM
He did make Dan Quayle look really stupider.

potatoe.

BeetDigger
5/23/2006, 01:23 PM
I just saw Naked Gun 2 1/2. The scene where they are in the Blue Note and she is singing a totally down and out song. They scan the pictures on the wall showing various disasters: the Hindenburgh, the SF earthquake, the fire in Chicago and finally, a picture of Mike Dukakis. Pure comedy gold.

Lloyd, you helped make Quayle look like a fool, but Dan got the last laugh I guess. He's making millions on Wall Street (Park Avenue actually).

TUSooner
5/23/2006, 01:24 PM
I***
Lloyd, you helped make Quayle look like a fool, but Dan got the last laugh I guess. He's making millions on Wall Street (Park Avenue actually).
Dan's still breathing, too!

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 01:58 PM
Dan's still breathing, too!

That's debatable.

BeetDigger
5/23/2006, 02:13 PM
That's debatable.

Not only breathing, but excelling.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_40/b3953117.htm

TUSooner
5/23/2006, 02:22 PM

Hmmm.
He's obviously smart about soomething !

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 02:26 PM
Lloyd Benson, politician, tool, nice guy.

Dan Quayle, spoiled rich kid Bush 41 picked to keep strong personalities at a minimum during his presidency.

On a side note, they both suck. They are the Duo of Suck, not to be confused with the Triumvirate of Suck. Benson for being a Southerner who agreed to hitch his political fortunes to a yankee from Massachusetts; and Quayle for...well, just look at him.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/23/2006, 07:55 PM
The political ruination of Dan Quayle for his mispelling of the word potato was the absolute all-time greatest success of the mainstream media. Who would have thought that a spelling error could have demolished a political career?

TUSooner
5/23/2006, 07:59 PM
The political ruination of Dan Quayle for his mispelling of the word potato was the absolute all-time greatest success of the mainstream media. Who would have thought that a spelling error could have demolished a political career?
That's what Rush said !
;)

5/23/2006, 08:07 PM
That's what Rush said !
;)That's just you, guessing Rush said it, isn't it?
It's obvious Quayle's railroad job was an amazing piece of manipulation by the media. It truly astounded me that the MM could actually pull that off.

swardboy
5/23/2006, 08:11 PM
Bentson's famous reply was just a way to duck the issue. Typical bulls@@t demo *** talk.

Quayle's wife was hot, and smart. She should have been President.

Quayle is an excellent golfer btw. Saw him in Birmingham, AL. Serious golf.

TUSooner
5/23/2006, 08:15 PM
That's just you, guessing Rush said it, isn't it?
It's obvious Quayle's railroad job was an amazing piece of manipulation by the media. It truly astounded me that the MM could actually pull that off.
You might benefit from some sort of laxative. :P

Seriously . . . Dan didn't help himself with the media. But being smart at some stuff (finances) doesn't mean you're smart at other stuff (politics). I'm impressed that he's succeeding so well, and the article suggests that it's not only because of his name & resume, but because he seems to have some financial smarts.

5/23/2006, 08:26 PM
You might benefit from some sort of laxative. :P

Seriously . . . Dan didn't help himself with the media. But being smart at some stuff (finances) doesn't mean you're smart at other stuff (politics). I'm impressed that he's succeeding so well, and the article suggests that it's not only because of his name & resume, but because he seems to have some financial smarts.Quayle was like a lot of Republicans, who can't seem to grasp how much the MM really hates them to their core. He would try to connect with them in interviews, and they would always go for the jugular.
He had a debate against algore once, and he made Gore look like the goof-ball that we know he is. I wish I could remember what the debate was about.

Jerk
5/23/2006, 08:43 PM
Dan Quayle's only crime was being a conservative Republican.

Al Gore claimed to invent the Internet yet you don't see the same people calling him a dummy.

Scott D
5/23/2006, 08:50 PM
Bentson's famous reply was just a way to duck the issue. Typical bulls@@t demo *** talk.

Quayle's wife was hot, and smart. She should have been President.

Quayle is an excellent golfer btw. Saw him in Birmingham, AL. Serious golf.

I know you're kidding about the second part....she looked like a mare.

TUSooner
5/23/2006, 08:53 PM
Dan Quayle's only crime was being a conservative Republican....
My wife thought he was cute.
He was also too happy and smiled a lot. Many journalists are suspicious of that.

Scott D
5/23/2006, 08:56 PM

Al Gore claimed to invent the Internet yet you don't see the same people calling him a dummy.

no, Dan Quayle's only crime other than his lack of spelling, was to take on the most popular television show of the day without enough support before attempting to take it on. The Murphy Brown situation did more to derail him than anything else he could have ever accomplished.

Jerk
5/23/2006, 08:57 PM
My wife thought he was cute.
He was also too happy and smiled a lot. Many journalists are suspicious of that.

True. Sorry to get sidetracked, but most reporters in the beltway are from the northeast. When Wal-Mart first put a store in New Jersey, they had to remove the store greeter- you know, the nice old man who says hi to everyone. It appeared to people up there that they were about to get scammed, because that's what people do when they're about to rob you- they're nice!

handcrafted
5/23/2006, 08:59 PM
:les: YOU'RE NO JACK KENNEDY EITHER, SLIM!!!!! :texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/23/2006, 09:48 PM
no, Dan Quayle's only crime other than his lack of spelling, was to take on the most popular television show of the day without enough support before attempting to take it on. The Murphy Brown situation did more to derail him than anything else he could have ever accomplished.Beat me to it.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2006, 09:54 PM
I used to love Jon lovitz Dukakis impression...the little lift he would use to make himself as tall as bush when they were debating...friggin hilarious

Sooner98
5/23/2006, 10:42 PM
http://www.leenite.org/jonisland/graphics/dukakis.jpg

"I am the son of Greek immigrants. My parents were little people - little swarthy people."

picasso
5/23/2006, 10:44 PM
I thought it was Lord Bentson.

Penguin
5/23/2006, 11:02 PM

Do you work for Dan Quayle or something? Just because a dip**** has a "(R)" next to his name doesn't make him less of a dip****.

That boy looked and still looks like an idiot. Even your red-state tinted glasses can't help but see that.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/23/2006, 11:12 PM
http://www.leenite.org/jonisland/graphics/dukakis.jpg

"I am the son of Greek immigrants. My parents were little people - little swarthy people."

classic!

picasso
5/23/2006, 11:17 PM
Do you work for Dan Quayle or something? Just because a dip**** has a "(R)" next to his name doesn't make him less of a dip****.

That boy looked and still looks like an idiot. Even your red-state tinted glasses can't help but see that.
there's many more besides him. he was just picked on more.

Tear Down This Wall
5/24/2006, 10:21 AM

That's not true. Many, many people think that Al Gore is the dummy that he is and openly say so. I say it to all who will listen, and even those who don't.

Psst. The secret is, Gore's not even a human, but a robot. That's why he has neither humor nor conscience. He prolly listens to the Triumvirate of Suck every night at home.

picasso
5/24/2006, 10:25 AM
That's not true. Many, many people think that Al Gore is the dummy that he is and openly say so. I say it to all who will listen, and even those who don't.

Psst. The secret is, Gore's not even a human, but a robot. That's why he has neither humor nor conscience. He prolly listens to the Triumvirate of Suck every night at home.
no, the secret is that Gore is on the political side of most of the media. you know we never hear about Gore's family money and their ties to "big oil."

Scott D
5/24/2006, 10:29 AM
no, the secret is that Gore is on the political side of most of the media. you know we never hear about Gore's family money and their ties to "big oil."

not true...lots of people have seen 'The Beverly Hillbillies' :D

Tear Down This Wall
5/24/2006, 10:30 AM
I think everyone knows Gore is an idiot and so they don't take him seriously. I mean think about it - inventing the internet, Love Story being written about him and Tipper - just the stupid stuff he's said for no reason.

And the whole Global Warming thing. Some scientists say yes, some say no. But, Al Gore? He says, "Watch out! A giant wave of melted polar caps is coming! Today! Maybe even five minutes from now! Unless...you elect the people who think like me."

The guy's a Grade A Screw-Up. The more the Dems allow him out of doors, the better for the Republicans. Believe me. I mean, you don't see the GOP parading Potatoe Man out, do you?

5/24/2006, 10:55 AM
By the time Quayle commented on the Murphy Brown show not portraying family values, he was already prepped for destruction. I still think the mispelling of potato is what people remember the most.The MM was able to pounce on anything Quayle did or said, and further ruin him politically.
I was pi*sed when he ran for President in '96. He was an Arizona resident at that time, and I was hoping he would run against McCain for Senator in AZ. I still think he could have beaten McCain in '96. He couldn't do it now, but Quayle was very well liked by republicans in AZ.

BeetDigger
5/24/2006, 11:53 AM

I didn't realize that posting facts made someone aligned with them. I don't care what he looks like or his political leanings. The guy dumped politics and is hellish successful in business. It was a running joke with my buddies when we found out that Dan was with this small investment bank out of Scottsdale a few years back. We were laughing that he went from VP to this tiny firm no one had heard of. Fast forward five years and he is chairman at one of the biggest, baddest buy-out firms on Wall Street.

Last I checked, Al Gore is forming a buy-out firm. He bought some media companies a while back. Should we have a thread where Al is the topic and if I can find evidence where Al is doing well, I will gladly post links discussing his success.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/24/2006, 12:13 PM
Al Gore= Ross Perot's crazy admiral....just 110 years younger

Fugue
5/24/2006, 12:21 PM
crazy admiral guy was awexome.

Mjcpr
5/24/2006, 12:23 PM
crazy admiral guy was awexome.

Indeed.

GRIDLOCK!! :eddie:

Fugue
5/24/2006, 12:27 PM
Indeed.

GRIDLOCK!! :eddie:

SNL did him well, Phil H. I believe.

Scott D
5/24/2006, 12:35 PM
Stockdale was the bomb...even if he cost Perot a bigger share of votes.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/24/2006, 12:40 PM
And Gore can be that guy one day.....He's running for president at the age of 120 and says things like How did I get here? and I invented the internet.......I cant wait for old Al

5/24/2006, 02:04 PM
RIP Lord Bentsen.

Jeopardude
5/24/2006, 02:27 PM
Lloyd Benson, politician, tool, nice guy.

Dan Quayle, spoiled rich kid Bush 41 picked to keep strong personalities at a minimum during his presidency.

On a side note, they both suck. They are the Duo of Suck, not to be confused with the Triumvirate of Suck. Benson for being a Southerner who agreed to hitch his political fortunes to a yankee from Massachusetts; and Quayle for...well, just look at him.

You complete the Triumvirate of Suck for misspelling Bentsen when his name is in the subject right above your writing. And for calling him "tool" and "nice guy" in the same breath.;)

5/24/2006, 03:00 PM
You complete the Triumvirate of Suck for misspelling Bentsen when his name is in the subject right above your writing. And for calling him "tool" and "nice guy" in the same breath.;)"Can't we all just get along?"-Rodney King

Tear Down This Wall
5/24/2006, 03:31 PM
You complete the Triumvirate of Suck for misspelling Bentsen when his name is in the subject right above your writing. And for calling him "tool" and "nice guy" in the same breath.;)

No. Only three can be in a Triumvirate. The Triuvmirate of Suck is Toby Keith, Reba McIntrye (or however you spell her last name), and The Dixie Chicks. Dan Quayle and Lloyd Benson (or however you spell his last name) are the Duo of Suck. It is possible to be a nice guy and a tool. Take Lloyd Benson (or however you spell his last name) as an example.

Beef
5/24/2006, 03:39 PM
No. Only three can be in a Triumvirate. The Triuvmirate of Suck is Toby Keith, Reba McIntrye (or however you spell her last name), and The Dixie Chicks.
I don't know why I thought of this, but Toby's boobs are the 3rd largest of the 5 people that make up the Triumverate of Suck.

5/24/2006, 03:43 PM
I don't know why I thought of this, but Toby's boobs are the 3rd largest of the 5 people that make up the Triumverate of Suck.HE'S ALIVE! Congrats on your continuing presence above ground, from a fellow heart issue survivor(so far).

Beef
5/24/2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks. I started cardiac rehab this week and have never felt better in my life.

Penguin
5/24/2006, 10:04 PM
I didn't realize that posting facts made someone aligned with them. I don't care what he looks like or his political leanings. The guy dumped politics and is hellish successful in business. It was a running joke with my buddies when we found out that Dan was with this small investment bank out of Scottsdale a few years back. We were laughing that he went from VP to this tiny firm no one had heard of. Fast forward five years and he is chairman at one of the biggest, baddest buy-out firms on Wall Street.

Last I checked, Al Gore is forming a buy-out firm. He bought some media companies a while back. Should we have a thread where Al is the topic and if I can find evidence where Al is doing well, I will gladly post links discussing his success.

I stand corrected. I humbly apologize.