PDA

View Full Version : So I have a wirless router...

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 11:47 AM
...now what?

I'm trying to set up a wireless router in the office to service (heh) a couple of laptops. I figure I can connect the routher to my ethernet connection and then connect my desktop to the router, but I don't know how do go about this. Do I need to assign my IP address and gateway to the router? How do I do this? Once I do that do I need to change the network setting on my computer?

:twinkies:

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2006, 11:50 AM
I figure I can connect the routher to my ethernet connection...

I'll bet your routher to your ethernet connection is fabulouth!

Sorry. Wait here - I'll get PQ. Or wake him up anyway...

slickdawg
5/23/2006, 11:55 AM
...now what?

I'm trying to set up a wireless router in the office to service (heh) a couple of laptops. I figure I can connect the routher to my ethernet connection and then connect my desktop to the router, but I don't know how do go about this. Do I need to assign my IP address and gateway to the router? How do I do this? Once I do that do I need to change the network setting on my computer?

If you are plugging into the office network, you really don't need a router, but a wireless access point. What model did you get?

1stTimeCaller
5/23/2006, 11:57 AM
Did it come with instructions? When all else fails give em a glance.

Partial Qualifier
5/23/2006, 11:59 AM
I have zero experience with wireless routers but here's how I'd imagine it in the simplest terms:

- Use a serial cable or what-have-you to configure the DHCP info for "inside" notebooks, etc. I'm guessing it'll do some NAT so's you can use private IP addresses inside but give it the real DNS info from your ISP. Set up as much security as it will let you -- it's all breakable but some methods require more work than others

- Rj45 interface #1 on the wifi router: give it the IP/Subnet address info given to you by your ISP. DNS info probably doesnt matter. Connect it to your ISP link

- Rj45 interface #2 on the wifi router(if available): connect it to your PC, set your PC to use DHCP for IP info

- set all wifi clients to sue DHCP for info

there are tons of ppl on here who've used those wireless routers to set up their home network, I'm just trying to make BSG happy so she'll stop harrassing me ;)

OUDoc
5/23/2006, 12:09 PM
I have zero experience with wireless routers but here's how I'd imagine it in the simplest terms:

- Use a serial cable or what-have-you to configure the DHCP info for "inside" notebooks, etc. I'm guessing it'll do some NAT so's you can use private IP addresses inside but give it the real DNS info from your ISP. Set up as much security as it will let you -- it's all breakable but some methods require more work than others

- Rj45 interface #1 on the wifi router: give it the IP/Subnet address info given to you by your ISP. DNS info probably doesnt matter. Connect it to your ISP link

- Rj45 interface #2 on the wifi router(if available): connect it to your PC, set your PC to use DHCP for IP info

- set all wifi clients to sue DHCP for info

there are tons of ppl on here who've used those wireless routers to set up their home network, I'm just trying to make BSG happy so she'll stop harrassing me ;)
I understood about 4 things in that post.:( (Two of them were BSG. :D)

OUinFLA
5/23/2006, 12:13 PM
geek ville?
is this the road to geek ville?
have I taken a wrong turn?
I was headed to technologicallychallenged.

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 12:14 PM
If you are plugging into the office network, you really don't need a router, but a wireless access point. What model did you get?

The router/wireless access point has to share an ethernet connection with my desktop. It's a Linksys WRT54GC Wireless-G Broadband Router.

OUinFLA
5/23/2006, 12:21 PM
Actually, I have set up two wireless routers in my home, servicing 4 computers.
One in my office servicing my wireless cams for security. and I did them all with the manual and some tech help from D-Link.
It seems that as soon as I get one working I have the capacity to completely forget what I did and why. If I dont remember to write down my Key codes I am screwed.
So, each new installation is still and adventure.

slickdawg
5/23/2006, 12:25 PM
The router/wireless access point has to share an ethernet connection with my desktop. It's a Linksys WRT54GC Wireless-G Broadband Router.

You'll need to plug the linksys into your office network - cat 5 cable
from "WAN" connection on the router to the office cat 5 (rj45) jack or cable they have for you.

You will initially need to access this device from one of the wireless systems
to configure it. I think Linksys' default IP is 192.168.0.1

So go to http://192.168.0.1

it should prompt you for a user id and password.

the default is no id and the password is "admin"

There, you can configure the device. The manual should show you
how to set the IP address, etc.

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 12:46 PM
Linksys has a nifty little configuration utility that you can download from their web site. All I had to do was plug in the cables, and it did the rest of the work. I assume it pulled the IP settings from my computer, which was then automatically configured for DHCP. So thanks again for nothing, South Oval. ;)

How do I manually comminucate with the router? I want to make sure all the settings are correct and change the administrative password.

EDIT: Aha! Linksys web site to the rescue again. I can configure the router using a web browser. Nifty.

Osce0la
5/23/2006, 12:46 PM
Well then what the **** would he need us for?

achiro
5/23/2006, 12:56 PM
I hooked up my house all wireless this weekend. My mac, xbox360, 1 pc, and 2 laptops. Its greatness!

Widescreen
5/23/2006, 01:06 PM
...servicing my wireless cams for security. and I did them all with the manual and some tech help from D-Link.
Ew. That statement just sounds gross. :eek:

oumartin
5/23/2006, 01:12 PM
wireless router configuration is simple man. it all does it automatically if you have lynksys. geeze. even i could figure it out.

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 01:16 PM
So with this router beaming out RF energy at 802.11 MHz two feet from my family jewels all day long I'm going to totally be sterile, right?

slickdawg
5/23/2006, 01:16 PM
So with this router beaming out RF energy at 802.11 MHz two feet from my family jewels all day long I'm going to totally be sterile, right?

fire. blanks.

Vaevictis
5/23/2006, 01:19 PM

Nah. But don't be suprised when your son has a penis (or three) extending from his shoulder blade.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/23/2006, 01:33 PM
PQ may be a geek...but he's MY geek.

:D

Viking Kitten
5/23/2006, 01:34 PM
This thread needs a Hawaiian shirt icon next to it.

yermom
5/23/2006, 01:41 PM
thread reported to your Network Admin ;)

i just bought a few of those routers... Office Depot had them insanely cheap for some reason

OUinFLA
5/23/2006, 01:45 PM
http://www.geeksrus.com/images/grubanner.png

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 01:57 PM
thread reported to your Network Admin ;)

That's basically me. Off campus, out of mind.

proud gonzo
5/23/2006, 02:00 PM
what's a wir?

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 02:07 PM
what's a wir?

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69943

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 02:08 PM
What's a homey gotta do to make a wireless laptop join a domain? Is that impossible?

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 02:10 PM
What's a homey gotta do to make a wireless laptop join a domain? Is that impossible?

You have a wireless laptop too??!!

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:12 PM

your router likely isn't supplying the WINS server IP, try setting that manually

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 02:14 PM
your router likely isn't supplying the WINS server IP, try setting that manually

The who in the what now?

I've never had to mess with WINS before.

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 02:14 PM
The who in the what now?

You need a wireless WINS setter before you can do anything else.

OUinFLA
5/23/2006, 02:16 PM
You need a wireless WINS setter before you can do anything else.

Here's a technical hint: It is nothing like this one. This one requires more care.

http://www.pedigree.co.nz/breeds/images/irish_setter_03.jpg

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:22 PM
The who in the what now?

normally it's handled by the DHCP server, since that is now the router, i'm betting it's not doing it.

it will hand off DNS by default though

a lot of the time the WINS server is the PDC

you are still using an NT 4.0 Domain, right?

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 02:26 PM
normally it's handled by the DHCP server, since that is now the router, i'm betting it's not doing it.

it will hand off DNS by default though

a lot of the time the WINS server is the PDC

you are still using an NT 4.0 Domain, right?

Yes, until I play musical computers and can swap out our 8 year old NT machine with something that will run Server 2003 or whatever. Do I need to use the IP address for my PDC as the WINS address?

Hatfield
5/23/2006, 02:32 PM

i just bought that last week at office depot for 20 bucks...pretty good deal if you ask me.

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:33 PM
Yes, until I play musical computers and can swap out our 8 year old NT machine with something that will run Server 2003 or whatever. Do I need to use the IP address for my PDC as the WINS address?

you can try that, or run "ipconfig /all" from the command prompt on a machine not on the router and see what it's using

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:34 PM
i just bought that last week at office depot for 20 bucks...pretty good deal if you ask me.

yeah, insanely cheap ;)

they are back to $60 as of today at least

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 02:38 PM
you can try that, or run "ipconfig /all" from the command prompt on a machine not on the router and see what it's using

We don't use WINS down here; ipconfig says "WINS proxy" is not enabled. To add a desktop to the network I just plug in an IP address, gateway, and subnet mask, and it has no problem finding our domain controller.

Hatfield
5/23/2006, 02:45 PM
if you are going to be using bit torrents you should also check into www.portforward.com

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:46 PM
We don't use WINS down here; ipconfig says "WINS proxy" is not enabled. To add a desktop to the network I just plug in an IP address, gateway, and subnet mask, and it has no problem finding our domain controller.

it would be below that under the IP address and DNS servers

it should list "Primary WINS Server" and "Secondary WINS Server"

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 02:48 PM
it would be below that under the IP address and DNS servers

it should list "Primary WINS Server" and "Secondary WINS Server"

Yeah, nothing there.

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:50 PM
and that's on a computer than can talk to the domain?

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 02:51 PM
and that's on a computer than can talk to the domain?

Yes.

yermom
5/23/2006, 02:54 PM
weird.

i got nothin' then, i guess

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 03:01 PM
weird.

i got nothin' then, i guess

We're pretty much off the grid down here. No WINS, and none of that Exchange server crap either. I found the addresses of the OU WINS servers on the IT web site, but wouldn't my domain have to be registered?

yermom
5/23/2006, 03:02 PM
did you try the IP of the PDC?

how many servers do you have? the OU WINS probably wouldn't have your domain info

mdklatt
5/23/2006, 03:11 PM
did you try the IP of the PDC?

how many servers do you have? the OU WINS probably wouldn't have your domain info

Yes, I already tried the PDC IP. We just have one domain server; we're small potatoes. I know that if I don't have the subnet mask set correctly I can't see the rest of the network; this is set correctly on the router, though. Normally, when I browse the "Microsoft Windows Network" I can see all the GCN domains but nothing else--everything using our gateway, basically. I don't have the option to browse the Microsofe Windows Network at all on the wireless laptops. When I do that on my desktop it can only find itself. I tried using the gateway IP as the WINS address, too, but no luck.

Partial Qualifier
5/24/2006, 02:21 PM
joo get this figgered out yet?

mdklatt
5/24/2006, 03:40 PM
joo get this figgered out yet?

Nope. I got the router installed just fine, but never got Microsoft Networking to do it's thing. I turned off the firewall on the router (I think) and everything, but that didn't help. And then I got a wild hair up my *** and decided to dink around with the wireless security settings. After that I couldn't figure out how to connect the laptop to the wireless network anymore. WEP, WPA, WKRP...WTF.

1stTimeCaller
5/24/2006, 03:44 PM
You shoulda got a wireless router. I think that's the problem.

;)

mdklatt
5/24/2006, 03:45 PM
You shoulda got a wireless router. I think that's the problem.

;)

It took you a whole day to come up with that?

1stTimeCaller
5/24/2006, 03:47 PM
It took you a whole day to come up with that?

well over actually. About 28 hours.:O

Partial Qualifier
5/24/2006, 04:06 PM
The thing about WINS & joining domains is this: you dont need WINS if all your computers are on the same IP subnet. Windows computers can use built-in netbios to find the domain & other computers, etc. if they're all on the same subnet. And you don't *have* to have a WINS server if you're on seperate subnets, it just makes things easier.

Now that the notebooks are on wireless, they have IP addresses from a different subnet, correct? Like 192.168.x.x, but your Windows domain server/PDC is still using the 'real' IP addresses you were using before?

And what O.S. are the notebooks - winXP Pro?

Can you ping the IP address of the PDC from either of the notebooks?

Partial Qualifier
5/24/2006, 04:39 PM
I have to get offa here soon so if all the above was true, and IF you can ping the PDC's ip address, do this:

- Open C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\LMHosts.sam with Notepad
- remove all the help stuff that's in there
- add these two lines:

10.0.0.1 PDCNAME #PRE #DOM:DOMAIN-NAME
10.0.0.1 "DOMAIN-NAME \0x1b" #PRE

(replace 10.0.0.1 with your PDC's ip address, replace PDCNAME with the PDC's name, replace DOMAIN-NAME with your NT 4.0 domain name. If you're manually typing the rest in, use tabs (not spaces)

- save the file as 'LMHOSTS' - you'll probably have to manually remove the '.txt' which Notepad puts on the filename
- probably have to reboot, then try joining the domain again.

This won't allow you to see all the other domains out there, but it oughtta be enough to let you join your office's NT domain.

Also - you might be able to specify the WINS server you found at OU's tech site instead. Your domain will get automatically 'registered' if your PDC points to that WINS server, so you could always try specifying that WINS server on all your P.C.'s... I'm assuming they provide those WINS servers for all the different departments' convenience or something

BeetDigger
5/24/2006, 04:51 PM
Those Geek Squad guys just may be the way to do. They are a lot more expensive than the SO, but they would have had that sucker up and running by now. You'd be sitting pretty with wireless access to news, stock quotes, pron...

Partial Qualifier
5/24/2006, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't trust those guys with my dog's p.c. ;)

yermom
5/24/2006, 05:42 PM
The thing about WINS & joining domains is this: you dont need WINS if all your computers are on the same IP subnet. Windows computers can use built-in netbios to find the domain & other computers, etc. if they're all on the same subnet. And you don't *have* to have a WINS server if you're on seperate subnets, it just makes things easier.

Now that the notebooks are on wireless, they have IP addresses from a different subnet, correct? Like 192.168.x.x, but your Windows domain server/PDC is still using the 'real' IP addresses you were using before?

And what O.S. are the notebooks - winXP Pro?

Can you ping the IP address of the PDC from either of the notebooks?

i was thinking it might be NetBios or something, i just never rely on that.. i've always had lots of problems getting things to see each other

SicEmBaylor
5/24/2006, 05:46 PM

Real men don't use instructions.

mdklatt
5/24/2006, 06:11 PM
- Open C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\LMHosts.sam with Notepad
- remove all the help stuff that's in there
- add these two lines:

(replace 10.0.0.1 with your PDC's ip address, replace PDCNAME with the PDC's name, replace DOMAIN-NAME with your NT 4.0 domain name. If you're manually typing the rest in, use tabs (not spaces)

- save the file as 'LMHOSTS' - you'll probably have to manually remove the '.txt' which Notepad puts on the filename
- probably have to reboot, then try joining the domain again.

This won't allow you to see all the other domains out there, but it oughtta be enough to let you join your office's NT domain.

I'll try this tomorrow.

Also - you might be able to specify the WINS server you found at OU's tech site instead. Your domain will get automatically 'registered' if your PDC points to that WINS server, so you could always try specifying that WINS server on all your P.C.'s... I'm assuming they provide those WINS servers for all the different departments' convenience or something

Being visible campus-wide doesn't sound like a real good idea....

BeetDigger
5/24/2006, 06:13 PM
i was thinking it might be NetBios or something, i just never rely on that.. i've always had lots of problems getting things to see each other

If that is the case, then it could be as simple as the router needing a new pair of glasses.

OCUDad
5/24/2006, 07:08 PM
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14320074551.jpg (http://www.putfile.com)

MamaMia
5/24/2006, 08:53 PM
Re: So I have a wirless router...
...now what?

:twinkies:Call the roto router man. :P

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 08:52 AM

I'll try this tomorrow.

Hmmmm. After creating the LMHOSTS file I can now see the main printer, which is attached to the PDC via IP. However, I still can't see the PDC itself or anything else on the network. I understand the first line of the file, but what's the deal with the second line?

My desktop is WinXP, connecting to an NT4 PDC if that makes a difference. I've got all the firewall stuff on the router turned off, too. This couldn't have anything to do with my XP firewall could it??

Partial Qualifier
5/25/2006, 01:14 PM
the /0x1b is the netbios hex representation of the service type (an NT 4.0 domain name), the PRE just means pre-load it into the netbios name cache upon bootup. more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180094/en-us

Dude the XP firewall might indeed cause a problem. Try turning it off, then joining the domain, then turn it back on mebbe?

I'm in a class but Ill check back on break. Wierd that you can see the PDC-hosted printer, but can't join the domain

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 02:36 PM
Dude the XP firewall might indeed cause a problem. Try turning it off, then joining the domain, then turn it back on mebbe?

Right I now I'm just trying to get my desktop to see the domain again. It's worked before, so the XP firewall shouldn't be the problem. But we're getting close to a full moon, so who knows.

Wierd that you can see the PDC-hosted printer, but can't join the domain

No kidding. :confused:

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 03:36 PM
Right I now I'm just trying to get my desktop to see the domain again. It's worked before, so the XP firewall shouldn't be the problem.

I turned off the XP firewall--no luck. I thought I'd be clever and attach the PDC to the router. That bastard won't have any problems finding itself. Of course, now nobody else can see it. Router be damned! :mad:

If I can wait 6-18 months we'll back on campus and I won't need my own wireless access point. Plus, there's wireless signal coming from either Cardinal Creek or Forest Pointe that I can borrow.

SicEmBaylor
5/25/2006, 03:37 PM
Man...

I just plugged my wireless right in and it worked. I didn't do a thing.

49r
5/25/2006, 04:02 PM
Don't you have to manually add the computer object in active directory in NT 4 before you can actually join said computer to the domain?

Partial Qualifier
5/25/2006, 04:04 PM
Naw. Just have to provide an admin login, just like AD

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:12 PM
Don't you have to manually add the computer object in active directory in NT 4 before you can actually join said computer to the domain?

Nope. A dialog box pops up asking you to enter the user name and password of somebody who has permission to add a computer to the domain.

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:14 PM
I just plugged my wireless right in and it worked. I didn't do a thing.

Let's see you get it working inside a Windows domain, smart guy. ;)

SicEmBaylor
5/25/2006, 04:15 PM
Let's see you get it working inside a Windows domain, smart guy. ;)

I have faith that anything with "Microsoft" and/or "Windows" in the name HAS to be user friendly and painless set-up with few hastles.

yermom
5/25/2006, 04:19 PM
the wireless part works, it's the bass ackwards NT 4.0 stuff that is causing problems ;)

i'd use Samba on Linux before using NT 4.0 for anything

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:25 PM
the wireless part works, it's the bass ackwards NT 4.0 stuff that is causing problems

Possibly. Which would be easier--setting up the router with NT 4.0 or getting Server 2003 to run on a P-II with 128 MB of RAM?

Crap, that's a lot of RAM for an eight year old computer.

yermom
5/25/2006, 04:32 PM
i think it's admirable that any NT 4.0 box is still up and not pwn3d (seriously, even Win2k is pretty hard to secure anymore)

if it were me, i'd install WINS services on it (although i'm kinda wondering if your router is blocking NetBios)

Partial Qualifier
5/25/2006, 04:33 PM
hmm. I wish I had a better understanding of the network topology.
Is *every* rj45-connected computer behind this router now? Or just the notebooks and your own P.C. ?

You might have to add a static route somewhere. I'd say 'on the PDC' but if you can see/print to the PDC's printer, that's probably not it.

Partial Qualifier
5/25/2006, 04:38 PM
i think it's admirable that any NT 4.0 box is still up and not pwn3d (seriously, even Win2k is pretty hard to secure anymore)

if it were me, i'd install WINS services on it (although

Dude, actually NT4 is easier to secure than Win2000, Believe it or not. So much simpler, not as many openings (with service pack 6a) .. it's like, as soon as they made it secure & stable, they shelve it and start Win2000 w/Active Directory. Just another frustrating thing about Microsoft.

We stayed on NT4 here until 2003 sp1 (upgraded/migrated over this last holiday break). We skipped the whole Win2000 AD and glad we did because it was teh buggy suck for a long time. People who jumped on it from the beginning were nothing more than beta testers imo. Unwitting guinea pigs. Fortunately we didn't have a central corporate IT dept. who forced us to go with 2000 AD.

i'm kinda wondering if your router is blocking NetBios

Same here

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:45 PM

Security through obselescence--virus writers upgraded to 2000/XP a long time ago.

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 04:52 PM
hmm. I wish I had a better understanding of the network topology.
Is *every* rj45-connected computer behind this router now? Or just the notebooks and your own P.C. ?

Just my desktop. The laptops only have a wireless connection, so they have to go through the router. Ideally I'd like to put the PDC behind the router because it's centrally located (and to give it a little bit of security).

Partial Qualifier
5/25/2006, 05:14 PM
Security through obselescence--virus writers upgraded to 2000/XP a long time ago.

That's really true. But with SP6a it's as stable as any windows O.S., ever

Just my desktop. The laptops only have a wireless connection, so they have to go through the router. Ideally I'd like to put the PDC behind the router because it's centrally located (and to give it a little bit of security).

Could you ever ping the PDC? You might try adding a static route on the PDC so it always knows how to talk back to the notebooks & your P.C. I'm just thinking it might not know how to "get back" to that little subnetwork you created. If it looks kinda like This (http://members.cox.net/reedclymer/Drawing1.jpg) , try this:

On the PDC, open a cmd prompt, type:

route add 192.168.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1

..replace 192.168.0.0 with the network address of the newly-created WiFi router network
(if you're not sure what the net address is, just use the first 3 octets of the wifi IP addresses and a zero for the 4th octet)
replace 255.255.255.0 with whatever subnet mask it uses, replace 10.10.10.1 with the WAN ip address of the router (the interface which is on the 'old' network)

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 05:25 PM
That's really true. But with SP6a it's as stable as any windows O.S., ever

Yep, that sucker is rock solid.

Could you ever ping the PDC?

I had no problems pinging the PDC from behind the router. After some thought, what I'd really like to do is put the PDC behind the router. Is that just going to be assloads of trouble?

yermom
5/25/2006, 05:27 PM
how many other people connect to it?

is there a DMZ option on that router?

Partial Qualifier
5/25/2006, 05:30 PM
Well your *other* P.C.'s might start having this problem, but at least your P.C. and the notebooks would be good :D

That wireless router is my unknown. I've got tons of experience with routers, and wifi APs, but Ive never touched one of those wifi routers :(

Try it? I agree about having a little layer of security there, that's always a good thing. Do you have a switch or hub big enough to just connect everything you have to the 'inside' of that router? And will it provide NAT for that many hosts? If so, and if you feel comfortable about it, go for it

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 05:33 PM
how many other people connect to it?

The PDC? There are about a dozen clients.

is there a DMZ option on that router?

I saw that configuration tab somewhere, whatever that is. :confused:

yermom
5/25/2006, 05:36 PM
DeMilitarized Zone

it should send any port requests to the WAN IP to the IP specified in there (at least that is how i understand it)

unless you know all the ports that are needed for the PDC stuff and did them manually, you would probably need to set up the PDC as the DMZ Host

or you could put everyone connecting to the PDC behind the router :D

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 05:41 PM
Do you have a switch or hub big enough to just connect everything you have to the 'inside' of that router? And will it provide NAT for that many hosts?

No and no. This is just an ad-hoc job. We bought a couple of surplus laptops. I thought they had ethernet connections, but they just have modems. So, we got wirelss PCMIA cards for them. There used to be an open network in the building, but either the feds or OU IT got wise to it. Then my boss says, "Hey, I've got a wireless router I'm not using. Here you go." This is a dinky little personal router, definitely not an "enterprise solution". Our network is dirt simple. We just plug the yellow cords into the wall and BOOM--porn and illegal bit torrents for everybody.

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 05:43 PM
DeMilitarized Zone

Well I figured that. ;)

it should send any port requests to the WAN IP to the IP specified in there (at least that is how i understand it)

unless you know all the ports that are needed for the PDC stuff and did them manually, you would probably need to set up the PDC as the DMZ Host

How is this different than just turning off the router firewall? 'Cause that doesn't work.

yermom
5/25/2006, 05:55 PM
right now it only forwards packets that were requested

basically traffic only goes one way because anything not on the router can't access the 192.168.0.0 network, they have to go through the router. so to everyone else every computer behind the router has one IP address

the DMZ Host basically acts like the one computer that you can get to from the outside.

you can also specify ports or ranges or ports to specific IPs in addition to that, like for a web server on port 80 or something

mdklatt
5/25/2006, 06:01 PM
the DMZ Host basically acts like the one computer that you can get to from the outside.

Aha. Got it. I might have to give that a try tomorrow.

mdklatt
5/26/2006, 09:55 AM
Aha. Got it. I might have to give that a try tomorrow.

The PDC is DMZed and I'm still SOL.

picasso
5/26/2006, 09:58 AM
http://www.kirkwood.k12.mo.us/parent_student/khs/prattke/Norm.gif
it's pronounced Routahhh!!! you f'in hillbillies.