PDA

View Full Version : Okie peeps who don't want to lie indefinitely in a vegetative state

Okla-homey
5/23/2006, 10:15 AM
Check out this new "Advance Directive" form just released by your Oklahoma Bar Association.

Give it some thought.

http://www.okbar.org/public/brochures/default.htm

crawfish
5/23/2006, 10:22 AM
My wife threatened to stop feeding me during a "Lord of the Rings Extended Edition marathon". I never should've signed that dang living will. :mad:

Okla-homey
5/23/2006, 07:51 PM
I figgered this would get more play. C'mon peeps, this is your chance to ensure your unconscious, brain dead but still technically living corpse won't become a political football like that chick in Florida a coupla years ago.

Personally, I'm opting for no code, no O2, no hydration and no IV chow. That said, I wrote in a codicil requiring a few drops of Guinness squirted into my drooling pie hole just before my lights go out.

hurricane'bone
5/23/2006, 08:00 PM
Reading that makes me sad in my pants

Okla-homey
5/24/2006, 05:16 AM
Reading that makes me sad in my pants

Yeah, but its important to let people who care about you and may have to make a decision on your behalf know what YOU want to happen. I expect having such a document could be a source of comfort to them afterwards too -- knowing for sure "we did what he wanted."

Viking Kitten
5/24/2006, 07:45 AM
We had to make such a decision on behalf of my dad. It was horrible. But he had had a heart event that basically left him in the same shape as Terry Schiavo after his brain was deprived of oxygen for 10 minutes or so. We knew he wasn't coming back. A few days later, when we were going through his stuff,we found a living will he had signed indicating we had made the right decision. HUGE sense of relief after that.

If you sign an advance directive, you should make at least two copies and distribute them to your next of kin and your lawyer.