PDA

View Full Version : PAC money

OUHOMER
5/22/2006, 07:15 PM
Is it a necessary evil? My company almost insists they everybody donates and even suggests the amount you should donate based on your salary.

Anyway I don’t like lobbyist, but I guess it is what it is :(

Discuss

bri
5/22/2006, 07:17 PM
I thought this was gonna be about power pellets...:(

SicEmBaylor
5/22/2006, 07:19 PM
Is it a necessary evil? My company almost insists they everybody donates and even suggests the amount you should donate based on your salary.

Discuss

Well, it's basically is and should be unconstitutional to limit PAC money (I consider it unconstitutional to restrict any amount of donations to any political organization or candidate but whatever). The issue is that one of your constitutionally protected rights is to petition the government in person or through proxy (which means forming PACs, trade organizations, etc.).

Now, of course I don't believe in limiting donations but I do believe in and would insist on open records and full disclosure. There are a lot of sleazy lobbyists out there and lobbying organizations of different stripes but it's not a good idea to start talking about limiting their activities.

Okla-homey
5/22/2006, 07:54 PM
PACs. All the influence, none of the guilt. It's like Bribery Lite.

OUHOMER
5/22/2006, 08:21 PM
I guess I will contribute to the fund, I guess what is good for them is good for me

SicEmBaylor
5/22/2006, 08:53 PM
I guess I will contribute to the fund, I guess what is good for them is good for me

Do you mind if I ask what PAC?

Scott D
5/22/2006, 08:56 PM
imo it's all dirty money. they just try to find new loopholes to sneak influence via contributions

SicEmBaylor
5/22/2006, 09:06 PM
imo it's all dirty money. they just try to find new loopholes to sneak influence via contributions

That's why the money should be limited but the records open with full disclosure. Then at least yoiu can see where the money is going, to whom, and draw conclusions what the result of that money was and act accordingly.

olevetonahill
5/22/2006, 09:07 PM
There should be a limit . If you are a member of a Pac,you cant donate privately. your Pac donates for you
I propose the Max that anyone can donate either thru a Pac or as and individual be .01Cents :D

Scott D
5/22/2006, 09:10 PM
That's why the money should be limited but the records open with full disclosure. Then at least yoiu can see where the money is going, to whom, and draw conclusions what the result of that money was and act accordingly.

Agreed, but I don't trust the government, political parties, nor businesses enough to ever believe the numbers aren't cooked in some manner.

SicEmBaylor
5/22/2006, 09:20 PM
Agreed, but I don't trust the government, political parties, nor businesses enough to ever believe the numbers aren't cooked in some manner.

Hah, yeah that's true.

www.opensecrets.org by the way is a great website that has been a tremendous help at times.

tulsaoilerfan
5/22/2006, 09:23 PM
Screw donations, none of them deserve my hard earned $

Ike
5/22/2006, 11:12 PM
OUHOMER, me personally, I'd be pretty leary of donating to any PAC that my employer suggested I should donate to. Instead, if I were you and I got a 'suggestion' of how much to donate, I'd go looking for a PAC that serves my own interests and donate that money to them instead. That is, if I thought I had the money to spare for donations.

But thats just me. Im not a big fan of anybody telling me who I should be giving my money away to.

Big Red Ron
5/22/2006, 11:38 PM

DiscussIt all depends on your industry and income level. Essentially your company is forcing you to donate to a PAC that they control in order to protect their interests. Do you wish to rise int the ranks of your company? If so, pay up and listen, get involved. If you don't, then don't pay and ask a lot of questions publicly. Essentially, these questions of ethics and morals as it relates to representative democracy are as old as the system itself, just in different forms and fashions.

"All politics are local." - Tip O'Neil

Whether that be at your dinner table or at work or as a nation.

All that being said, PACs are all registered with the Oklahoma State Ethics Board. Anyone is free to visit the capitol and pay .25 per copy of any PAC or candidate's contributors of greater that $50.00 with a maximum of $5,000.00. If you donate someone will know. Unless there are crimes being committed, if so ...drop a dime but be discreet. ;)

Vaevictis
5/23/2006, 03:29 AM
OUHOMER: Go look up who the PAC donates to. If you agree with the politics of the people it donates to, then by all means. If not, don't.

Do not blindly assume that just because the PAC is run by your corp, it must be good for you, because it's not necessarily true that what's good for the corp is good for you. It is true to the extent that the influence is used to win contracts/etc for your corp, but don't be all that suprised if it also goes to lobby for stuff that does not benefit you -- ie, reduction in your legally entitled benefits.

Just keep in mind that corps do not exist for the profit of employees, they exist for the profit of the owners. Most corps will screw you out of every red cent they can get away with screwing you out of. Is yours all that different?

OUHOMER
5/23/2006, 06:53 AM
Do you mind if I ask what PAC? I would rather not say, they have eyes everwhere :eek:

Big Red Ron
5/23/2006, 10:07 AM
I would rather not say, they have eyes everwhere :eek:heh...does it start with a Che and rhyme with peek?

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 10:09 AM

Discuss

Dude, that's not legal. Your company can't make you give money to a PAC, or even pressure you to do so. Assfags.

Osce0la
5/23/2006, 10:19 AM
Well, at least they've got you thinking how they want you to think.

OUHOMER
5/23/2006, 06:47 PM
Dude, that's not legal. Your company can't make you give money to a PAC, or even pressure you to do so. Assfags.
like i said ALMOST, but they make you fell like you should.

OUHOMER
5/23/2006, 06:48 PM
Well, at least they've got you thinking how they want you to think.

Not yet, but their trying:O