PDA

View Full Version : Hey Slickdawg

Osce0la
5/22/2006, 02:57 PM
Didn't you say Slickdaughter had to have tubes put in her ears due to repeated ear infections? If so, exactly how do they do this and how uncomfortable is it for the child? My son has gotten several ear infections this year and we're thinking he may have to end up having tubes put in his ears. The bad thing is we can hardly ever tell there is a problem because he never fusses or seems bothered when he gets them. For instance last week, he was perfectly fine and happy all week, then we took him to the doctor Wednesday for his 9 month check up (I can't believe he's already 9 months old) and apparently he had another ear infection. Just wondering what all this involves and how much discomfort this causes the child.

Boomer.....
5/22/2006, 02:59 PM
I had many ear infections as a kid and was actually told that I should get tubes put in my ears. My ear canals straightened as I grew up and I did not need them after all. Don't know if this helps any.

TexasLidig8r
5/22/2006, 03:20 PM
Both of my kids had constant ear infections their first year... we jumped from pink stuff to white stuff to pink stuff to white stuff.. what a whip!!

Both got tubes the day after they turned one year old.. they give them a general, put the tubes in and they are back with the parents within an hour.. wake up.. cry... sleep.. then.. no problems.

For us... it was no more pink stuff or white stuff... the tubes fall out naturally and all was right with the world.

If ear infections have been an issue, highly recommend them.

OUDoc
5/22/2006, 03:36 PM
A doc I worked with sprayed topical anesthetic, small knick with the world's smallest scalpel and pop the tube in. Repeat on the other side. Literally, it only takes that long. Your kid might feel pressure, but no pain, if this is the route they use. Not sure about general anesthesia. I haven't seen it done that way.

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 03:37 PM
Your kid might feel pressure, but no pain

:rolleyes:

Friggin' doctors. Newsflash: IT'S THE SAME THING!! :mad:

Partial Qualifier
5/22/2006, 03:40 PM
If ear infections have been an issue, highly recommend them.

Me too. Same story here, son had lots of ear infections that never really cleared up.

Osceola, your son should have no discomfort at all. In fact he'll be able to hear alot better within an hour after his surgery. It only take about, what, 20 minutes if I remember correctly. They'll put him under of course so it's not traumatic. Waking up from the anesthesia is the only bad part.

It was amazing how much the ear infections affected my son; we thought yelling to get his attention was normal. And his vocab development took off almost immediately after the tubes were put in.

Don't think twice about the tubes.

Partial Qualifier
5/22/2006, 03:43 PM
A doc I worked with sprayed topical anesthetic, small knick with the world's smallest scalpel and pop the tube in. Repeat on the other side. Literally, it only takes that long. Your kid might feel pressure, but no pain, if this is the route they use. Not sure about general anesthesia. I haven't seen it done that way.

Maybe the docs opted for the general anesthesia with our son because he is the wiggliest. kid. ever.

slickdawg
5/22/2006, 03:44 PM
Didn't you say Slickdaughter had to have tubes put in her ears due to repeated ear infections? If so, exactly how do they do this and how uncomfortable is it for the child? My son has gotten several ear infections this year and we're thinking he may have to end up having tubes put in his ears. The bad thing is we can hardly ever tell there is a problem because he never fusses or seems bothered when he gets them. For instance last week, he was perfectly fine and happy all week, then we took him to the doctor Wednesday for his 9 month check up (I can't believe he's already 9 months old) and apparently he had another ear infection. Just wondering what all this involves and how much discomfort this causes the child.

It's realtively a very minor procedure.

In all, the child will be cranky for 30 minutes to an hour as the anesthesia wears off.
They used nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to get them to sleep, and it literally takes 10
minutes to do the procedure. After the crankiness wore off from the NO2, she was
ready for chicken and french fries. It's a quick outpatient thing, and the parents worry
1000 times too much.

The tubes will be the best thing you can do for him, that will stop the ear problems!!
We were plagued with them for months, but the tubes fixed that.

OUDoc
5/22/2006, 04:11 PM

Friggin' doctors. Newsflash: IT'S THE SAME THING!! :mad:
So, poking you with a finger and poking you with a pitchfork feel the same?
(Friggin' non-medical people...) :D

slickdawg
5/22/2006, 04:12 PM

He likes to be poked.

:texan:

BeetDigger
5/22/2006, 04:17 PM

Friggin' women. Newsflash: IT'S THE SAME THING!! :mad:

Dude, you might want to try some Enzyte. :texan:

Osce0la
5/22/2006, 04:20 PM
It's realtively a very minor procedure.

In all, the child will be cranky for 30 minutes to an hour as the anesthesia wears off.
They used nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to get them to sleep, and it literally takes 10
minutes to do the procedure. After the crankiness wore off from the NO2, she was
ready for chicken and french fries. It's a quick outpatient thing, and the parents worry
1000 times too much.

The tubes will be the best thing you can do for him, that will stop the ear problems!!
We were plagued with them for months, but the tubes fixed that.
I was thinking it was a pretty simple procedure, so I wasn't so much worried about the procedure as I was the discomfort for him (no parent wants to see their child in pain ya know...). We may discuss this with his doctor pretty soon and see if he thinks it would be better for us to go ahead and do it...

pb4ou
5/22/2006, 04:49 PM
I guess we have been lucky with our little guy. He's going on 10 months and nothing yet. <knocks on wood>

slickdawg
5/22/2006, 05:41 PM
Osce0la, go ahead and do it. The pian from ONE ear infection is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tubes being put in. The tubes will stop the
infections.

Okla-homey
5/22/2006, 06:49 PM

Do you ask if the guy want's a second opinion before the rectal then offer to use two fingers?

Cuz if you did, that would be funny.

Just saying.

BajaOklahoma
5/22/2006, 07:12 PM
Just be aware that some/many kids require a second set of tubes or even more.
The goal is to get the child to age 8 or so, when the Eustachian tubes are at a better angle - higher at the ear and lower where they connect to the throat. In little kids, the Eustachian tube is almost straight across from one ear to the other - it makes it harder for the pressure to equalize.
We have several kids on their third set of tubes....

Kimberlyz4OU
5/22/2006, 08:39 PM
My son had his done when he was 4. His pre-school teacher picked up on the fact that he was reading lips (yea, nominate me for mother of the year). He rarely, if ever, complained. When we finally had it done, the doc told us that he had just grown accustomed to the pressure........yea mom!

Anyway, we had in done in OKC, they sent a prescription for a "cocktail", we gave it to him at the toll gate (when it was closer to the city) and he did great. The tubes stayed in for 3 years in one ear and 3.5 in the other.

Scott D
5/22/2006, 08:43 PM
I'm amused by something called a Eustachian Tube.....I keep picturing a hose with a funnel at the end at a keg party.

MamaMia
5/22/2006, 08:50 PM
My daughter had tubes put in her ears . She was always having problems with swimmers ear, some infections and the like. They were eventually taken out. Shes going on her 3rd summer of being a lifeguard now and is doing very well.

olevetonahill
5/22/2006, 08:54 PM

That depends on where that finger is pokin :eek: