PDA

View Full Version : Royce Gracie/Matt Hughes - UFC 60

tbl
5/22/2006, 11:56 AM
Royce Gracie is back and he's fighting next Saturday on PPV. I won't pay for it, but there are usually plenty of sports bars/restaurants that carry them. This is going to be one bad fight... I know it might be considered patriotic to root for the American, but I'm totally rooting for Gracie. I remember that dude being the dominant fighter that started the UFC way back in the day.

http://60.ufc.com/

Here's a hilight reel if you're not familiar with him.
http://gracieva.com/royce.wmv

Rhino
5/22/2006, 01:11 PM
I have a feeling Royce is going to get worked in this fight.

The sport has come a long way in the 11 years he's been gone.

I might go to a bar to see it if the undercards weren't so craptacular.

n8v_ndn
5/22/2006, 01:17 PM
The rest of the UFC seems to have slowly but surely caught up to Royce and Jiu Jitsu since he moved on. Gracie family members have even been beaten by non-JJ fighters.

On the other hand, Hughes lost to JJ fighter BJ Penn.

I'm just really really looking forward to it.

Cack
5/22/2006, 01:20 PM
GRACIE ALL THE WAY ... i was going to post this but didn't want to get ragged for it ... i'm glad there are more UFC fans on here

Cack
5/22/2006, 01:22 PM
oh yeah and in case you didn't know ... Gracie HAS been fighting for the last 5 years in Japan ... so it's not like he's out of shape and just coming back to get his butt whooped ... he's been fighting and WILL make Matt tap ... it'd be even better if he knocked Huges out

critical_phil
5/22/2006, 02:01 PM
... Gracie HAS been fighting for the last 5 years in Japan ...

fyi, hughes>sakuraba

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6883436735443317716&q=Sakuraba

Cack
5/22/2006, 02:32 PM
fyi, hughes>sakuraba

watch that again ... very closely ... in the 2nd round ... right before the 3rd ... Gracie has a choke on the guy ... and he taps ... watch his left hand ... he tapes Gracie's leg

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2006, 02:42 PM
In Gracie's UFC days, I just remember him spanking some guys quite a bit larger than him because their wasnt weight classes.....Kimo fight was a good one

Cack
5/22/2006, 02:56 PM
oh he killed EVERYONE in UFC ... he ran through Dan "The Beast" Sevran like he was nothing ... when The Beast was dominating everyone who crossed his path

Hatfield
5/22/2006, 03:00 PM
gracie is a huge underdog

Cack
5/22/2006, 03:49 PM
i would agree on that ... but i'm still pulling for Gracie ... i'm glad i have TIVO ... by the time that fight comes up i might not be ... 100% sober ... so i will be able to go back and watch it again if i need to

oumartin
5/22/2006, 04:04 PM
no way gracie wins

Cack
5/22/2006, 04:05 PM
it only takes 1 punch ... or one slip up ... any fight can go any way ... someone get caught on the chin just right ... or catch one in the temple ... it's over

oumartin
5/22/2006, 04:11 PM
gracie is more of an on the floor choke hold submission type guy and I just don't see him being able to get hughes down like that

MiccoMacey
5/22/2006, 04:15 PM
Gracie is also an unbelievably good defensive wrestler. His style lends to wait for an opponent to make a mistake and capitalize on it.

If Matt lets his arm get outside his body for an instant, this could be over quick.

And I don't know if he's so much a choke-hold guy as a joint-manipulation expert. JMHO.

Cack
5/22/2006, 04:16 PM
huges is a wresler ... he likes it on the ground too ... but i would have to admit ... huges is a better stand up puncher than Gracie ... but if if goes to the ground i'll go w/ Gracie (which i am either way) ... but Gracie has made the best and biggest men tap

Cack
5/22/2006, 04:18 PM
Gracie is also an unbelievably good defensive wrestler. His style lends to wait for an opponent to make a mistake and capitalize on it.

If Matt lets his arm get outside his body for an instant, this could be over quick.

And I don't know if he's so much a choke-hold guy as a joint-manipulation expert. JMHO.

agreed ... Gracie just waits and waits and waits ... and once it's there ... it's over to quick to know ... Matt Huges said it correct in his interview ... if he can fight a perfect fight then he'll win ... i just don't see him fighting a perfect fight against Gracie

oumartin
5/22/2006, 04:23 PM
you are right micco..

n8v_ndn
5/22/2006, 04:32 PM

Nowadays so many guys know how to watch for arm bars and know how to counter transition moves without panicking. They ground and pound through the guard with force.

Kimo beat Gracie down while Gracie waited on his back for an opportunity. If it weren't for the pony tail grab, Gracie might've had to go the distance. Given that Gracie couldn't continue on in the next round after barely beating Kimo, there's no telling if Gracie could've even lasted if it weren't for that pony tail grab.

Damn this is gonna be awesome...

Sooner_Bob
5/22/2006, 04:42 PM
I can't wait for this fight . . . Royce was the reason I actually paid for the PPV's back in the mid to late 90's. Ok, so they were a whole lot cheaper back then too. :D

There are tons of decent UFC/MMA fighters who have been beaten by a seemingly lesser opponent because of a slip here and there. Either way it'll be a heckuva fight.

Sooner_Bob
5/22/2006, 04:50 PM
fyi, hughes>sakuraba

That fight right there is reason why you shouldn't wear a kimono in the ring.

And I saw the tap out earlier in the fight as well . . . hmmmmm.

Sooner_Bob
5/22/2006, 05:06 PM
Watching Chuck Lidell knockout Tito Ortiz from this video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2981575548098400036&q=Ken+Shamrock) pretty much made my day. :D

MiccoMacey
5/22/2006, 05:27 PM
That was AWESOME!!!!

Sooner_Bob
5/22/2006, 06:19 PM
For you Tank Abbot fans - link (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7583124128799530601&q=MMA)

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2006, 07:35 PM
we used to get the 6 hour UFC special they would run on new years eve....the first few hours were ok but once the waterheads started getting drunk and trying out the gracie guard on each other, i m glad they dont run it anymore

critical_phil
5/22/2006, 07:47 PM
in related news.....did anyone catch the premiere of the International Fight League yesterday on FSN?

i thought it was pretty good.

The action-packed one-hour shows will air on May 21, May 28 and June 4, with each original show cut from footage gathered during the IFL’s April 29 and June 3 events in Atlantic City at Trump Taj Mahal.

http://www.ifl.tv/

tbl
5/22/2006, 10:00 PM
There's an hour special on tonight that you may have missed. It'll come back on Thursday after the UFC reality show (which is pretty awesome). I'm 20 minutes into it and it's pretty good.

There's NO shame in admitting you like UFC. I grew up a HUGE boxing fanatic, and I could care less to watch a boxing match any more. UFC is so much more superior than boxing in all aspects. The one thing I don't like about it now is they've incorporated the worst part of boxing; judges. It's fine to have rounds, but don't let it go to the judges.

That Sukuraba guy didn't just dominate Royce (aside from the tap)... he dominated the entire Gracie family. He's on a big decline now, but he was a stud back then. That's the one thing that worries me about this fight for Gracie. Suku is very similar to Hughes.

I'm pulling for Gracie, but it won't be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

BTW, I don't think Gracie has ever scored a KO by punching or kicking. Every victory has been submission, tap out, pass out, or throw in the towell.

tbl
5/22/2006, 10:13 PM
Watching Chuck Lidell knockout Tito Ortiz from this video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2981575548098400036&q=Ken+Shamrock) pretty much made my day. :D
I watched that earlier today. That Chuck Lidell is one bad mofo. It's like his body is it's own meth factory.... but instead of picking at his face and tearing up the vacuum, he picks apart his opponents and tears them a new cornhole.

Sooner_Bob
5/22/2006, 10:21 PM
in related news.....did anyone catch the premiere of the International Fight League yesterday on FSN?

i thought it was pretty good.

http://www.ifl.tv/

Cool . . .

critical_phil
5/23/2006, 07:43 AM
Cool . . .

bob, it looks like FSN is going to replay this a few times before the next episode. check your local listings....

Cack
5/23/2006, 08:19 AM
it's going to come down to someone messing up ... i think matt will slip up ... and Gracie will make him pay

Widescreen
5/23/2006, 10:45 AM
People with names that are pronounced differently than they're spelled make me mad.

Hoyce Gracie <> Royce Gracie
Rafe Fiennes <> Ralph Fiennes
Asshat <> Herr Scholtz

critical_phil
5/24/2006, 02:35 PM
I might go to a bar to see it if the undercards weren't so craptacular.

the swick/riggs fight is probably the best on the whole card.

tbl
5/24/2006, 02:37 PM
I know... for DECADES I always thought it was pronounced Royce Gracie. I thought maybe this was one of the Gracie brothers when I first heard about it.

I watched a little more on this, and I'm REALLY pulling for Gracie now. Every new guy is convinced that Matt Hughes is going to dominate him. Unfortunately, they may have a point. MH is a beast, and I also watched Royce get dominated by Sakurubu... Either way, I'm pumped.

critical_phil
5/27/2006, 11:09 PM
the swick/riggs fight is probably the best on the whole card.

i was wrong about this........

blueyedsooner
5/28/2006, 12:35 AM
The Gracie/Hughes fight was AWESOME!! I can't wait for the Shamrock/Ortiz fight July 8th!

StoopTroup
5/28/2006, 07:47 AM
RESPECT ME!

Good Stuff.

tbl
5/28/2006, 08:55 AM
Last night sucked... hard. I can't believe Gracie got so DOMINATED. I mean, Matt Hughes pre-fight interviews detailed exactly what happened.

He knocked him out.
Royce didn't come close to putting him in a submission.

MOF, that arm lock Hughes put on him would have tapped out most people. You could tell it was hurting Gracie pretty bad.

I had a bad feeling as soon as Gracie came out. They didn't come out in the classic Gracie line. He was wearing a ballcap. He took off his kata. Things just weren't right from the get go.

Oh well... now we'll see what happens in July with Ortiz/Shamrock and the two big guys....

Scott D
5/28/2006, 11:07 AM
I thought the best part was the end..you know the part where they didn't show anything else. :D

Big Red Ron
5/28/2006, 12:42 PM
Matt Hughes, before last night, is one of the best pound for pound fighters EVER.

MiccoMacey
5/28/2006, 12:47 PM
Apparently he still is. 1st round TKO.

Can't wait for a Trigg rematch (part III).

tbl
5/28/2006, 12:48 PM
I can't stand the guy... I don't know why, but I can't.

Big Red Ron
5/28/2006, 01:13 PM
Matt's just a mid-western American wrestler who has learned other techniques. He's what every young greco-roman style wrestler should hope to achieve.

I'm so glad that UFC has given wrestlers a "career" within their sport. Pro Wrasslin has killed collegiate wrestling.

BTW, you hate Hughes because he's that short little phucker that took your pride in High School. ;)

tbl
5/28/2006, 01:24 PM
You may be pretty close to the truth there. He does remind me of the rednecks in school, one in particular that I could not STAND. They were all wrestlers, of course, and any time they fought you could gaurantee that it was going to the ground. When Oklahoma state champion wrestlers are taking you to the ground, you have 0 chance.

Big Red Ron
5/28/2006, 01:28 PM
You may be pretty close to the truth there. He does remind me of the rednecks in school, one in particular that I could not STAND. They were all wrestlers, of course, and any time they fought you could gaurantee that it was going to the ground. When Oklahoma state champion wrestlers are taking you to the ground, you have 0 chance.heh, very true. Which HS did you go too? ;) I was "only" State runner up. I went the distance with TJ Jawarski though. I wasn't and have never been a redneck though.:P

tbl
5/28/2006, 01:31 PM
What year did you graduate? If it was the early to mid 90's, you probably wrestled some of the jerkheads I'm talking about.

MiccoMacey
5/28/2006, 01:50 PM
I was "only" State runner up. I went the distance with TJ Jawarski though. I wasn't and have never been a redneck though.:P

Now I'm interested. What years and where did you guys go to school?

Shawnee grad, '84, but I coached and recruited some OK kids back in the early '90's while at Garden City CC.

tbl
5/28/2006, 02:49 PM
Comanche, 2A, in the early to mid 90's.

Big Red Ron
5/28/2006, 04:29 PM
Edmond - Kermper Military 80 - 87 (in wrasslin years) ;)

Widescreen
5/28/2006, 10:16 PM
I just checked ESPN.com and there's no mention of the fight. In fact, I searched the site and there doesn't appear to be even one mention of either Royce Gracie or Matt Hughes. Go figure.

StoopTroup
5/28/2006, 10:39 PM
Heh...Rick Stiener...I haven't heard that name in awhile.
Rick with Tank and Rick in his Dog Outfit...
http://www.wrestlingworld.it/Historical/Tagteamgallery/ricksteinertankabbott.jpghttp://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/ricksteiner/08.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
5/28/2006, 10:44 PM
I don't know what fight you guys saw, but Gracie was not knocked out. The ref called the fight after Gracie could not move out of his position.

Hughes needs to go to "Pride" and see what he's really made of. IMO. Takanori Gomi would give Hughes all he could handle.

tbl
5/28/2006, 11:55 PM
He'll never do that. He's king over here and he is thoroughly convinced his style is the best. Some of those guys need to come over here and start showing these beefhead wrestlers how to do it.

tbl
5/28/2006, 11:57 PM
Edmond - Kermper Military 80 - 87 (in wrasslin years) ;)
A Kemper guy... My ex-Brother in law played football and soccer there. I think he was supposed to graduate in 90 or 91, but he knocked my sister up the summer before their senior year and he moved to Comanche to graduate.

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2006, 01:17 AM
I'd love to see Chuck Lydell vs Wanderlei Silva, but it will probably never happen.

Silva would destroy Chucky. Badly.

MiccoMacey
5/29/2006, 01:46 AM
I don't know what fight you guys saw, but Gracie was not knocked out. The ref called the fight after Gracie could not move out of his position...

Straight from ufc.com.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=2658

Gracie opened the fight with a couple of range-finding kicks. Hughes answered with an overhand left that briefly jarred the Brazilian. Gracie quickly regained his bearings though and kept kicking at Hughes, who drove him into the fence. With 3:45 left in the round, the fight went to the mat, with the crowd erupting as Gracie looked for a submission. Hughes kept his cool though and worked his strikes from the top position, eventually locking up Gracie’s left arm. After some tense moments, Gracie escaped, but soon Hughes got his back and opened up with elbows and strikes. Seconds later, after a series of unanswered blows to the head, referee John McCarthy had no choice but to halt the bout at 4:39 of the frame.

Hence, the TKO.

n8v_ndn
5/29/2006, 03:18 AM
I have a lot of respect for Gracie, but things have sure evolved like Matt said.

Matt dominated him the way I dominate my 8 yr old nephew.

He's too experienced and learned to fall for any BJJ submissions and locks, and his punching power's way beyond anything Royce could match.

I was interested to see how Gracie would do vs. an excellent ground-and-pound fighter, especially once he realized he was NOT going to slip in a submission or choke and had to survive powerful strikes from positions he's typically felt safe in. Gracie was side mounted and had his arm pinned and ate some leather, then had that arm bar put on him.

When he rolled and gave his back to Matt and Matt put in his legs and started raining hooks, Royce was lost and looked like a stuck pig.

The 3 most impressive things Royce did: 1) His expression when he was stuck in the arm bar--you knew he was never going to tap and Matt would have to torque it clear off to end it; 2) rolling out from the side mount (or bottom?) position--most fighters get stuck there till the end of the round or fight; 3) Gracie keeping his base for as long as he did after Matt put his legs in from the top position. It takes a helluva lot of strength, flexibility, and will to keep from breaking down to the mat real fast.

I was wondering about Gracie's confidence pre-fight when he said something like, "If he submits me, he should thank me and my family", which sounded to me like, "If Matt uses my family's technique(s) to defeat me, that's a compliment to my family and I, so we will have won, in a way" :rolleyes:

That's what made the ground and pound to get the victory seem sweeter.

Big Red Ron
5/29/2006, 09:34 AM
Ground and pound is what wrestlers do to boxers and Tai Kwon Do types, in the street. :D

Sooner_Bob
5/29/2006, 11:08 AM
Fights like those from UFC 60 make me really miss Don Frye.

Big Red Ron
5/29/2006, 03:05 PM
A Kemper guy... My ex-Brother in law played football and soccer there. I think he was supposed to graduate in 90 or 91, but he knocked my sister up the summer before their senior year and he moved to Comanche to graduate.peem me his name, there is a better than 90% chance that I know him.

Big Red Ron
5/29/2006, 03:23 PM
For those of you that missed it...I can't believe Gracie didn't tap out during the arm bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MTdthB6YIk&feature=Views&page=4&t=t&f=b

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2006, 03:32 PM
Too bad we can't see Gracie in his prime vs Hughes in his prime.

Also thought it was pretty weak of Hughes to bring out the belt when the fight wasn't even for the title. Lame.

Big Red Ron
5/29/2006, 03:40 PM
Too bad we can't see Gracie in his prime vs Hughes in his prime.

Also thought it was pretty weak of Hughes to bring out the belt when the fight wasn't even for the title. Lame.He's the champ. the beld didn't bother me. Gracie is killing people in Asia, I'm not sure how far past his prime he actually is.