PDA

View Full Version : Sean Sutton targets national title for father’s resume

colleyvillesooner
5/22/2006, 10:54 AM
The only thing missing from Eddie Sutton’s resume was a national championship. Sutton retired Friday with 798 career wins, three Final Four appearances and 26 NCAA Tournament appearances.
That’s why a comment Sutton made at his retirement press conference was a ringing endorsement for Sean Sutton taking the reins.

“I believe Sean can take this program to even greater heights,” Sutton said. “He has the tools, knowledge and experience to continue the tradition of excellence. I believe Sean can take this program all the way to the top.”

Even greater heights? All the way to the top? How realistic is it for OSU to reach such lofty goals?

“Time will tell,” Sean Sutton said. “We have really good players in this program. I’m fortunate that I have a great staff right now. It may be the toughest place, maybe to play, in America, so you have an unbelievable home-court advantage.”

The list of active coaches who have won a national championship is short. If the Cowboys beat long odds, would a national title complete Eddie Sutton’s resume?

“No question,” Sean Sutton said. “If that ever happens, part of that championship would be his because of all the knowledge he’s given me over the years. I hope that happens. I hope there is more than one.”

Two national championships? It’s that type of comment that shows Sean Sutton’s resolve to keep the program at a high level.

Sean Sutton did not speak at the podium during Friday’s press conference at Gallagher-Iba Arena. He did address the media 30 minutes after the room had cleared, though.

“I wanted this day to be more about him, a celebration of the great career he had at all the different schools,” Sean Sutton said. “He deserved that. I felt all along this is the way it needed to be done. I was glad a lot of the players who played here, and played for him at Arkansas, were able to come.”

There were rumors that assistant coach Jimmy Williams was considering an NBA job. After coaching at OSU in 2000, Williams was an assistant with the Minnesota Timberwolves for two seasons and an advance scout for Golden State in 2002-03. Known as a high-level recruiter, Williams returned to OSU in 2004.

“I had an opportunity to go back to the NBA, but I turned it down,” Williams said. “I am committed to Sean and these players here. I’m excited about the future of the program under Sean. He plans on doing some things that hopefully will take this program to another level.”

OSU didn’t sign anyone during the spring signing period, which ended 10 days ago. Sean Sutton might stick the scholarship in his back pocket and use it next season. But there’s always a chance a player might join the program the next three months.

If there’s a new addition, it would be similar to Keith Brumbaugh. He made a verbal commitment to OSU last summer but couldn’t officially be on the roster until he enrolled for the fall semester in August.

In recent years, Eddie Sutton said he and his wife, Patsy, might move to Tulsa or Arkansas after he retired. Sutton’s contract ends June 30, but he will continue to work for the university as a fund-raiser and spokesman for alcohol and drug treatment. Sean Sutton said his parents probably will reach a decision where they will live late this summer.

Look for Eddie and Patsy to stay in Stillwater, although Tulsa is a possibility.

Experience, huh? He's been a head coach for how many years?

Taxman71
5/22/2006, 12:57 PM
Last time I checked, he is not even the most experienced SON of Eddie Sutton.

Crimsontothecore
5/22/2006, 06:09 PM
Come on guys...lighten up, I'm sure he was drunk when he made those statements.:D

bri
5/22/2006, 07:12 PM
Did he also proclaim that people would write books and movies about his teams, and that they'll never lose, just be behind when time runs out?

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 08:56 AM
I would think interviewing Sean Sutton would be like sitting on the front row at a Gallagher concert. Take your roll or plastic or get drenched in watermelon....er...aggie dust.

wishbonesooner
5/24/2006, 10:17 AM
I heard that neither the OSU AD or school president were at Eddie's press conference.
Rat Boy will never win an NC for OSU. Mark it down.