PDA

View Full Version : I guess the Dixie Chunks like to alienate fans...

TheHumanAlphabet
5/22/2006, 04:00 AM
And don't want to get lots of money...

"I'd rather have a small following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith," Maguire said. "We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

They won't be getting any of mine...I did used to like them, not anymore.

batonrougesooner
5/22/2006, 04:16 AM
I guess they don't like spending money either.

Maybe they will enjoy being "cool" and broke.

They play catchy music for people to buy. Perhaps they just don't understand their place in the world. I like some of their songs but I frankly don't give a **** about their political views.

Okla-homey
5/22/2006, 05:23 AM
"I'd rather have a small following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith," Maguire said. "We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

sounds like...

After repeated unsuccessful attempts at leaping up to taste and eat the beautiful grapes growing high above his head on an arbor in the vineyard, the embittered fox exclaimed to no one in particular..."bleh, they were probably sour anyway." - Aesop's fables (c.600 BC)

bri
5/22/2006, 06:42 AM
I think you guys are missing the point. This isn't about politics so much as not wanting to get lumped in with Reba and Toby, because Reba and Toby suck.

:D

Okla-homey
5/22/2006, 07:18 AM
I think you guys are missing the point. This isn't about politics so much as not wanting to get lumped in with Reba and Toby, because Reba and Toby suck.

So, you're positing that they actually prefer not to be in the CD changers of 50 bazillion country fans -- for which they had worked hard and used to be before the incident? Riiiiight.;)

VeeJay
5/22/2006, 07:23 AM
If I had a like or appreciation of country music, I would roll the dice and say Reba and Toby just picked up a nice chunk of new fans.

"We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

I am wondering....what is it exactly, the Dixie Chicks want to do, that they can't do already in the US of A? And what would define "really cool people?"

Sooner in Tampa
5/22/2006, 07:34 AM
To hell with that fat beyotch and her sewer smelling hole under her nose.

scaldeddawg
5/22/2006, 07:36 AM
In a hundred years no one will remember or care about these bimbos.

ousoonerfan
5/22/2006, 07:53 AM
Aren't they from Texas (Some of them anyway)?

Aren't Reba and Toby from Oklahoma?

Sooner in Tampa
5/22/2006, 07:55 AM
In a hundred years no one will remember or care about these bimbos.HEH...I say more like 20 years.

Scott D
5/22/2006, 08:12 AM
you act like they have fans.

crawfish
5/22/2006, 09:03 AM

Perhaps that would work out better for 'em if they stopped sucking themselves...

BigRedJed
5/22/2006, 09:06 AM
I'd hit it.

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 09:09 AM
Perhaps that would work out better for 'em if they stopped sucking themselves...

I might pay to see the cute one do it, but not the lead singer.

1stTimeCaller
5/22/2006, 09:10 AM
I have issues with the fat one but she doesn't bother me too much. To say that the hawt sisters have no talent is just letting the world know that you haven't a clue about music.

TexasLidig8r
5/22/2006, 09:28 AM
Another slam on Bush too... wow.. they really aren't the sharpest knives in the drawers.

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/music/articles/_a/dixie-chicks-singer-slams-bush-again/20060522090809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Jimminy Crimson
5/22/2006, 09:30 AM
That chunky beyotch needs to lose a hunnerd pounds or so.

You'd think she wouldn't be able to talk all the time -- eating so much and all. :D

BeetDigger
5/22/2006, 09:36 AM
I might pay to see the cute one do it, but not the lead singer.

It would be even better if they'd suck each other. Again, the cute ones, not the lead singer.

picasso
5/22/2006, 09:39 AM
the part I don't understand is the not getting it statement. is their music that innovative and thoughtful?
I could have sworn their biggest hit to date is just a Fleetwood Mac remake.

musicians take themselves oh so seriously.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/22/2006, 09:45 AM
If I had a like or appreciation of country music, I would roll the dice and say Reba and Toby just picked up a nice chunk of new fans.

"We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

I am wondering....what is it exactly, the Dixie Chicks want to do, that they can't do already in the US of A? And what would define "really cool people?"Right on, Vee. Too bad the mainstream media gives them so much attention.

leftfield
5/22/2006, 09:52 AM
the 'chunky' one is outta control, her dad is actually a legend in the americana music scene. He is sort of backing her, but its easy to tell that he is embarrassed by this. The sisters have a hell of a lot of talent and I feel sorry for them because they are getting caught up in the middle and this is pretty much the end of their careers as a result.

The chunky one is from Lubbock, and that town has always supported them...until this album which has a song that SPECIFICALLY bashes Lubbock and the people that live there. No bueno for the 'chicks'.

White House Boy
5/22/2006, 10:00 AM
So, you're positing that they actually prefer not to be in the CD changers of 50 Brazillion country fans -- for which they had worked hard and used to be before the incident? Riiiiight.;)

fixed

bri
5/22/2006, 10:02 AM
In a hundred years no one will remember or care about these bimbos.

Oh, I don't know...as long as there's wide-eyed, reactionary types who scan the wire for any quotes from "un-American" artists so they can get all worked up into a tizzy, people will care about the Dixie Chicks. :D

Sooner in Tampa
5/22/2006, 10:44 AM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/I/W/dixiechicks_airbrushed.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
5/22/2006, 10:59 AM
the part I don't understand is the not getting it statement. is their music that innovative and thoughtful?
I could have sworn their biggest hit to date is just a Fleetwood Mac remake.

I don't know what their genre is...I think it is more Blue Grass than anything else and slotted nicely into country. I rather doubt if they would build much of a rock or jazz following. Perhaps they will fall into the folk music genre a la "A Mighty Wind" and the "New Main Street Singers"...;)

MamaMia
5/22/2006, 11:32 AM
Shes lucky I'm not her mother. ;)

Taxman71
5/22/2006, 12:15 PM
I'll bet the lead singer believes her husband when he tells her that the models on TV are ugly and way too skinny to be attractive.

MamaMia
5/22/2006, 12:17 PM
I'll bet the lead singer believes her husband when he tells her that the models on TV are ugly and way too skinny to be attractive.
Thats a lie!? :(

TUSooner
5/22/2006, 01:11 PM
C'mon, picasso. Don't you know there are no longer any mere musicians these days: They are "ARTISTS". Sheesh....

;)

TUSooner
5/22/2006, 01:15 PM
***Maybe they will enjoy being "cool" and broke...

Brilliant! Maybe they will be so cool that NOBODY will "get" them.

silverwheels
5/22/2006, 01:15 PM
I think I'd like the Dixie Chicks if they actually played music worth listening to.

scaldeddawg
5/22/2006, 01:30 PM
Thats a lie!? :(

There's 3 other lies men tell also........

soonerhubs
5/22/2006, 01:34 PM
The Dixie Chicks are always trying to be so outspoken and orginal.
Dr. Phil: "So how's that working out for ya?"

picasso
5/22/2006, 04:41 PM
I can totally understand wanting to be taken seriously, not wanting to be compared to a commercial sellout blah blah blah. but they might want to be a little more subtle with their comments.:)

OCUDad
5/22/2006, 04:48 PM
Maybe they could take a page from Toby Keith. He's pretty subtle with his political comments.

picasso
5/22/2006, 04:51 PM
Maybe they could take a page from Toby Keith. He's pretty subtle with his political comments.
you know Neil Young and Steve Earl have ragged on him for his support of Bush and the war. I heard Earl quoted as saying he's a big dumb redneck.
all the while they don't realize Keith is a Democrat.:D

1stTimeCaller
5/22/2006, 05:10 PM
for a big dumb redneck, Toby's done a better job of staying out of jail for heroin related charges than Steve has.

MiccoMacey
5/22/2006, 05:32 PM
**** THEM IN THEIR ****ING *** HOLES WITH ***ING NO ***ING MERCY AND LET THEM ****ING ROT IN THEIR ***ING **** FOR ALL **** TO ****ING SEE.

OCUDad
5/22/2006, 05:35 PM
Is that a Toby Keith lyric? :confused:

MiccoMacey
5/22/2006, 05:36 PM
Yes.

He just says it cooler than I can. :D

Jeopardude
5/22/2006, 06:35 PM

Too bad for them; they're number one on Amazon's album chart.

bri
5/22/2006, 06:55 PM
Then the terrorists win.

47straight
5/22/2006, 09:34 PM
The only thing that ****es me off about the Dixie Hicks is that they try to start **** with Toby Keith when he expresses his views. Well, that's what you do too, natalie. So just say what you want, let him say what he wants, and let it be.

This seems to fit right in with the scorched earth policies of one side of the political spectrum that I've been seeing lately.

olevetonahill
5/22/2006, 10:18 PM
Fat chunky chicks need loving to ! Id hit it :)

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2006, 10:22 PM
The Dixie Chicks alienated me as a fan when they....opened their mouthes and started singing

KaiserSooner
5/22/2006, 11:13 PM
I can't blame them. I wouldn't want to be from the same state as W.

As for Toby Keith, I only wish he hailed from Texas, and not Oklahoma.

Ike
5/22/2006, 11:18 PM
this is precisely why I'm not a fan of letting artists speak outside of the performance of their art. If they felt the things they were saying were that important, it would show through in their art. I'm more of a fan of letting the art speak for itself and having the artist STFU!

that goes for all of em.

Of course, I know thats unrealistic these days. Mainly because the only artists capable of letting their thoughts and feelings come through in their art are, well, good. There aren't too many of those in the music biz these days.

picasso
5/23/2006, 12:26 AM

As for Toby Keith, I only wish he hailed from Texas, and not Oklahoma.
yes, let's narrow down all that is and ever was from the state of Texas to just W.
I myself would be ashamed of Ann Richards or Molly strap-on wood for W Ivins.:D

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 05:27 AM

As for Toby Keith, I only wish he hailed from Texas, and not Oklahoma.Yeah, it sucks to have somebody from Oklahoma who is famous, wears his allegience to OU on his sleeve, actually dumps tons of money back into the state, actually still lives in the state and brings positive attention to the great state of Oklahoma...yeah, it would be better if he took all of his money and went to sexaT. :rolleyes:

bri
5/23/2006, 07:20 AM
yeah, it would be better if he took all of his *********gery and went to sexaT. :rolleyes:

Fixed it for you. :D

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 07:24 AM
Fixed it for you. :DI just cannot get over the TK hate. I mean, hell, it ain't like he is an aggie or anything. :confused:

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 08:33 AM
I just cannot get over the TK hate. I mean, hell, it ain't like he is an aggie or anything. :confused:

I don't get it either. :confused:

critical_phil
5/23/2006, 08:38 AM
i've got to be honest here........

the crossed-eyed one makes me happy in the pants.

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 08:40 AM
i've got to be honest here........

the crossed-eyed one makes me happy in the pants.

TK isn't cross-eyed.

:confused:

Partial Qualifier
5/23/2006, 08:41 AM
He supports the president, you know - the man who has singlehandedly caused everything wrong with the world. THAT guy :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 08:42 AM
He supports the president, you know - the man who has singlehandedly caused everything wrong with the world. THAT guy :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not saying he's perfect.

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 08:47 AM
He supports the president, you know - the man who has singlehandedly caused everything wrong with the world. THAT guy :rolleyes:But, he is a lifelong democrat.:D

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 08:54 AM
But, he is a lifelong democrat.:D

So is Switzer. Do you hate him too or just America?

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 09:14 AM
So is Switzer. Do you hate him too or just America?I don't hate TK or Switzer...what's your point???

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 09:18 AM
I guess I forgot to use the :D

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 09:36 AM
I guess I forgot to use the :D:)

TheHumanAlphabet
5/23/2006, 09:49 AM

So you saying that Bush:
Caused 9-11...
Caused Hurricane Katrina and Rita...
Caused the Taliban to screw up Afghanistan and support terrorists
Caused Saddam Hussein to either lie and boast about WMD to the extent that EVERY Western Intelligence Agency thought he had them or to have really had them and moved them elsewhere...
Caused the people in Iraq not to work collaboratively, but rather worry about petty tribal issues
Caused American Idol phones to mess up and toss out the Rock-a-billy guy
Caused the Finnish group Lordi to win the Eurosinging cup and the controversy surrounding that
Caused the Madonna to use a cross in her show and **** off Catholics
Caused the floods of the Northeast
Caused the controversy surrounding the Gospel of Judas and its exclusion from the Bible
Caused Global Warming
Caused the guy in Baton Rouge to kill 5 family members
Caused the horse to break its leg...

Man, I sure have missed a lot about Bush. I need to give up Christianity and form a religion around GWBush and start worshipping him. He can do a lot...

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 09:52 AM
Did someone turn off the sarcasm sensors on the board?

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 10:00 AM

All three suck. They are the Triumvirate of Suck.

bri
5/23/2006, 10:01 AM
All three suck. They are the Triumvirate of Suck.

Agreed. :D

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 10:11 AM
This is the part where I wish I'd bought some graphics program so I could make a little sign with those dopes on it with "Triumvirate of Suck" in bold across the top.

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 10:16 AM
All three suck. They are the Triumvirate of Suck.So what you are saying is that you hate country music?

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 10:16 AM
So what you are saying is that you hate country music?

I think he hates everything........oh, except the Phoenix Suns.

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 10:19 AM
So what you are saying is that you hate country music?

No. I like Waylon, Merle, and Hank, Jr. just fine and own many of their fine recordings. The Triumvirate of Suck is a completely different thing than country music.

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 10:57 AM
No. I like Waylon, Merle, and Hank, Jr. just fine and own many of their fine recordings. The Triumvirate of Suck is a completely different thing than country music.And you are entitled to your opinon...just like the rest of us, but I would say about 50 Bazillion records sold between TK and Reba say that they are doing something right for a whole ****load of people.

Boarder
5/23/2006, 10:59 AM
So you saying that Bush:
Caused 9-11...
Caused Hurricane Katrina and Rita...
Caused the Taliban to screw up Afghanistan and support terrorists
Caused Saddam Hussein to either lie and boast about WMD to the extent that EVERY Western Intelligence Agency thought he had them or to have really had them and moved them elsewhere...
Caused the people in Iraq not to work collaboratively, but rather worry about petty tribal issues
Caused American Idol phones to mess up and toss out the Rock-a-billy guy
Caused the Finnish group Lordi to win the Eurosinging cup and the controversy surrounding that
Caused the Madonna to use a cross in her show and **** off Catholics
Caused the floods of the Northeast
Caused the controversy surrounding the Gospel of Judas and its exclusion from the Bible
Caused Global Warming
Caused the guy in Baton Rouge to kill 5 family members
Caused the horse to break its leg...

Man, I sure have missed a lot about Bush. I need to give up Christianity and form a religion around GWBush and start worshipping him. He can do a lot...

Yes, he did all of that. He also made the refs rip off the Seahawks. He is the most powerful wizard in the world. Don't cross him. Or Else!

KaiserSooner
5/23/2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, it sucks to have somebody from Oklahoma who is famous,

There's nothing wrong with there being famous Oklahomans.

wears his allegience to OU on his sleeve,

There's nothing wrong with being a fan of OU either.

actually dumps tons of money back into the state,

:rolleyes:

If by tons of money, you mean a restaurant in Bricktown, then good for him. So does Sonic. T. Boone Pickens has dumped much more dough into Oklahoma than the Right Honorable Toby Keith...does the Pick make your pants happy too?

and brings positive attention to the great state of Oklahoma

Really? I guess it depends on who you talk to and what you consider positive attention, but IMO, Toby Keith only reinforces the redneck, toothless, trailer trash stereotype of Oklahoma, so I hardly consider his attention anything close to positive for Oklahoma.

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 12:47 PM
There's nothing wrong with there being famous Oklahomans.

There's nothing wrong with being a fan of OU either.

:rolleyes:

If by tons of money, you mean a restaurant in Bricktown, then good for him. So does Sonic. T. Boone Pickens has dumped much more dough into Oklahoma than the Right Honorable Toby Keith...does the Pick make your pants happy too?

Really? I guess it depends on who you talk to and what you consider positive attention, but IMO, Toby Keith only reinforces the redneck, toothless, trailer trash stereotype of Oklahoma, so I hardly consider his attention anything close to positive for Oklahoma.

I was not just talking about a restaurant in Bricktown, I was talking about the Country Club/Golf Course that he and Switzer are team up for. The money that he brings into the state because he owns a home and tons of land in the state which produces tax revenue. Most artists in his shoes live in Tennessee to be closer to "biz"

So TK embodies the redneck toothless trailer trasher stereotype of Oklahoma?? How exactly does he do that...because of his no nonsense type of music? How many artists have the guts to actually do music that they want to do and are willing to leave a major record label to do it??Not very many. How many are willing to start their own record label to help young aspiring artists like Jack Ingram make the music that they want? Not very many.

Everybody is not going to like TK...I understand that, but I am amazed at people that say he embodies redneck trailer trash....that is ****ing absurd.

Another example of trailer trash :rolleyes:

Now in its third year, the Toby Keith & Friends Golf
Classic has become quite a gathering of national and Oklahoma sports and music figures. This year's event, set for May 21 and 22 in and around Oklahoma City, will be no different.

Among the celebrities already confirmed are basketball greats Mookie Blalock and Johnny Bench and Olympic gold medalists Bart Connor and Shannon Miller as well as Doug Sauder, head coach of the Oklahoma City Blazers. Musical celebrities include singer and songwriter Tony Joe White, singer Tim Rushlow and country legend Johnny Lee.

Also participating are several Oklahoma University and Oklahoma State University standouts including former OSU and Major League Baseball player Mickey Tettleton, former OU and NFL quarterback Josh Heupel, former OSU and MLB player Jim Traber, former OU and Miami Dolphins player Uwe Von Schamann, OU women's basketball coach Sherri Coale, OU baseball coach Sunny Golloway, former OU and Dallas Cowboys star defensive tackle Tony Casillas, and OU football coaches James Patton, Bobby Jack Wright, Cale Gundy, Kevin Wilson, Chris Wilson, Kevin Sumlin and Merv Johnson.

The event opens Sunday evening with a dinner, musical performance and silent auction. Monday, teams of five participants plus one of the above personalities will compete in a scramble style golf tournament in Norman, OK. Each golfer will be eligible to win a Ford F-150. The winner of the truck will be determined by a closest-to-the-pin contest that will run concurrently with the tournament.

It's all to the benefit of Ally's House, a non-profit charity named for the late Allison Webb, the daughter of Keith's friend and former band mate Scott Webb. Ally's House offers assistance to families of young children struggling with pediatric cancer. Ally died in August, 2003, one month shy of her third birthday after developing a form of kidney cancer. In her memory, the organization helps with medical expenses, travel, financial needs and other forms of support. www.allyshouse.net

The Toby Keith Foundation was formed in January of this year with the express purpose of facilitating Keith's benevolent endeavors on behalf of a number of charitable organizations within the state of Oklahoma, including Ally's House.

Veritas
5/23/2006, 01:52 PM
I liked the Dixie Chicks just fine until the short fat one had to go open her yapper. I'll not listen to them now, even though I have to admit I really liked their music.

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 02:40 PM
And you are entitled to your opinon...just like the rest of us, but I would say about 50 Bazillion records sold between TK and Reba say that they are doing something right for a whole ****load of people.

No. It just confirms that country music is no longer the music of the blue collared American sitting in a barroom after a long day of thankless work. It's been highjacked by a generation of $30,000 a year suburban millionaires who think that driving SUVs and pickups in the city makes them "country."

Not me, Mister. I'll not choke on the Panzer fumes of crappy music just because it sells. Remember, Michael Jackson sold millions and million of records as well. These 21st Century "country" singers couldn't hold candles to lives and music of the likes of Waylon, Merle, and Hank, Jr.

This is country music
http://davidaustincody.com/img/Waylon_Jennings_pics/Dreaming%20My%20Dreams-1975.jpg

This is G-A-Y, brothah!
http://www.indianranch.com/photos/wof/web_Toby_Keith.jpg

KaiserSooner
5/23/2006, 03:05 PM
How many artists have the guts to actually do music that they want to do and are willing to leave a major record label to do it??

So wait, you've lost me. Now you like gutsy musicians? Whether you like them or not, you'd have to say the Dixie Chicks are gutsy.

As far as creating music they actually want to create, I can think of an Oklahoma band that's far more creative, entertaining, and thoughtful than junk such as "sticking a boot in one's a$$" and "White Trash with money." They're called the Flaming Lips, though they don't belong to the flag-waving-nationalist-country-music-on-the-cheap genre, so you may not like 'em.

KaiserSooner
5/23/2006, 03:06 PM
These 21st Century "country" singers couldn't hold candles to lives and music of the likes of Waylon, Merle, and Hank, Jr.

This is country music
http://davidaustincody.com/img/Waylon_Jennings_pics/Dreaming%20My%20Dreams-1975.jpg

This is G-A-Y, brothah!

I'm not much of a country music fan to begin with, but the old country music and its musicians were pretty good. Cash and Hank Jr. were brilliant.

Mjcpr
5/23/2006, 03:09 PM
I'm not much of a country music fan to begin with, but the old country music and its musicians were pretty good. Cash and Hank Jr. were brilliant.

Hank Jr is old country music? Is that what you're saying, Sonny?

Tear Down This Wall
5/23/2006, 03:09 PM
The only two things in life that make it worth livin' is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women.

1stTimeCaller
5/23/2006, 03:13 PM
The Flaming Lips' music has more in common with Hank Sr.'s music than Toby Keith's music does.

jus sayin'. and I like Toby.

5/23/2006, 03:19 PM
Poor Reba! One of the best voices in music, and she gets no credit from the oh, so wise Natalie Maines. Reba, don't pine! There's still life after this harrowing experience.

Sooner_Bob
5/23/2006, 03:56 PM

So does pretty much every other country singer so what's the big deal?

There's not one freakin' thing wrong with being a redneck. I don't think half of you people even know where the term came from.

Sooner_Bob
5/23/2006, 03:59 PM
One thing I've learned from this thread . . . some of you people's choice of music sucks.

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 04:09 PM
The Toby Keith haters kill me. Face it, trashiness is in style. It is TK's JOB to act redneck, talk redneck and sing about rednecks. His first album was NOT redneck at all. However, white-trash-redneck music is the thing right now and no doubt TK is capitalizing on that right now. Who gets the most attention as of late? TK, Gretchen Wilson, Big&Rich, etc. Faith Hill can't even get played it seems like. And, it's not just country. Kid Rock has made a mint acting like Southern trailer trash even though he is from the Detroit burbs.

I see TK acting like white trash just like Switzer switching to the wishbone...whatever works baby!

Besides, like they say, the things you hate most about yourself is what you hate the most in others.

Boarder
5/23/2006, 04:11 PM
HE

WEARS

CROCS

IN

PUBLIC

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 04:26 PM
HE

WEARS

CROCS

IN

PUBLICDude...crocs are very comfortable and some men are very confident in their manhood and can wear them in public. :D That's my story and I am stickin to it.

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 04:32 PM
No. It just confirms that country music is no longer the music of the blue collared American sitting in a barroom after a long day of thankless work. It's been highjacked by a generation of $30,000 a year suburban millionaires who think that driving SUVs and pickups in the city makes them "country."

Not me, Mister. I'll not choke on the Panzer fumes of crappy music just because it sells. Remember, Michael Jackson sold millions and million of records as well. These 21st Century "country" singers couldn't hold candles to lives and music of the likes of Waylon, Merle, and Hank, Jr.

This is country music

This is G-A-Y, brothah!
I happen to love Waylon, Willie, Merle, and alot of old country music. But those were the old days. I still pay homage to those dudes...they made it possible for someone like TK to break away from the major labels and start his own label. Waylon stood up to the big execs in his day and TK is doing the same thing.

I happen to think that part of the problem with people is that they are turned off by the Angry American Song. Well, I was a big fan of it, at the time that it came out it was exactly what alot of people wanted to do. Would it sell today??? Probably not...it was a song for a specific time. My favorite song of all from TK is American Soldier...listen to the words sometime, it is EXACTLY how so many of us feel. That is why some of connect with TK...he is very PRO-MILITARY, not because it is chic, but because he believes in the military. He was doing free shows on military bases LONG before 9/11.

You won't agree with anything that I have said, and I am fine with that...but I feel compelled to tell a few reasons why I think TK is so popular.

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 04:38 PM
So wait, you've lost me. Now you like gutsy musicians? Whether you like them or not, you'd have to say the Dixie Chicks are gutsy.
The Dixie Chunks are not GUTSY...they are just mouthy bitches that think someone actually gives a damn about anything they have to say. :mad:

Hence the reason TK quite verbally sparring with them about every little public comment. TK checked out and let them do all of the talking.

Guess who won??? :D :D :D :D :D

Sooner24
5/23/2006, 04:44 PM
http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/2006/1101060529_400.jpg

On your newstand now.

mrowl
5/23/2006, 04:45 PM
Dude...crocs are very comfortable and some men are very confident in their manhood and can wear them in public. :D That's my story and I am stickin to it.

I bet you own a cat also....

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 04:54 PM
I bet you own a cat also....spek...NTTAWWT, but NO WAY IN HELL !!! Dogs only.

Sooner in Tampa
5/23/2006, 04:54 PM

On your newstand now.And here I thought Time was a serious publication. :(

Boarder
5/23/2006, 05:00 PM
Ok, good looking girls, try to hide the other one's gut with your arms. Higher, higher...great! Now look like W just walked into the room. PERFECT! (click) Got it. Beautiful. Now, who are you?

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 05:15 PM
I think the obvious point has largely been missed, the Dixie Chicks are from Austin a/k/a ToolCoolUSA. Seems everyone from that place thinks (1) they are right about everything and (2) everyone is interested in listening to them speak about it. Actually, we aren't any more interested in their political views than we are about who Lance Armstrong is giving his "wanna ride my bike" line to at the moment.

Taxman71
5/23/2006, 05:17 PM
For the record, Waylon didn't always look like an outlaw either. Here he is in his Dick Clark ducktail years:

http://holly.famousfolk.com/images/wayj58-64-3c.jpg

pb4ou
5/23/2006, 05:22 PM
http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/7938/11bn1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sooner_Bob
5/23/2006, 05:47 PM
HE

WEARS

CROCS

IN

PUBLIC

comfortable smomfortable . . . that's G A Y. :P

TUSooner
5/23/2006, 08:19 PM
The question at the bottom should be, "Does America care?" :rolleyes:

TheHumanAlphabet
5/25/2006, 11:23 AM
And here I thought Time was a serious publication. :(

I guess your mistaken...

They sure are working hard to rebuild/retool their career. They must be in bad shape. The funny thing is that "The Chunk" is working at cross purposes to the marketing.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
5/25/2006, 12:02 PM
That TIME cover looks like the Chicks are feeling each other up...should be in Playboy. I would pay to see the two sistas naked.:D

Sooner in Tampa
5/25/2006, 12:06 PM
Reba smacked em pretty good the other night on the ACM Awards show...she said "I shouldn't be nervous about hosting this show...if the Dixie Chicks can sing with their foot in their mouth, I can host this show"

Neeless to say, she got a very big round of applause.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/25/2006, 02:26 PM
Good ole Reba!!! :D

DeadSolidPerfect
5/25/2006, 04:52 PM
Reba smacked em pretty good the other night on the ACM Awards show...she said "I shouldn't be nervous about hosting this show...if the Dixie Chicks can sing with their foot in their mouth, I can host this show"
Atta girl Red!

Poor Reba, just standing around minding her own, and she gets blindsided by the three most self-righteous jagoffs out there.

Sooner in Tampa
5/26/2006, 05:18 AM
Atta girl Red!

Poor Reba, just standing around minding her own, and she gets blindsided by the three most self-righteous jagoffs out there.The chunks must hate Oklahoma :mad:

Jimminy Crimson
5/26/2006, 08:44 AM
My ears started hurting and then I noticed that that fat beyotch had started 'singing' on the tv.

:mack:

lefty
5/31/2006, 10:38 AM
I guess they're not alienating too many fans.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060531/nyw075.html?.v=52

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:39 AM
i liked their older stuff, i wasn't impressed by that new song

1stTimeCaller
5/31/2006, 10:42 AM
I found this on another website and thought it would be appropriate here.

Some new revelations about the Dixie Chicks were "uncovered" by Howard Stern, and his cast on Sirius Satellite Radio yesterday morning.

First of all, Stern apologized for criticizing them three years ago, when Maines made those infamous statement about President Bush. Natalie Maines told Howard she’s been a listener of his for years, and remembered that he not only spoke out against the band at the time, but also said some things about her, as well. Howard replied by acknowledging he was wrong on all counts when he made his remarks, so he apologized and took back all that he had said.

Here's a few other juicy details from the young mothers:

-Natalie & Emily have prenuptial agreements with their husbands.

-All three Dixie Chicks share revenue from record sales and songwriting royalties equally.

-Natalie does not wear underwear, and has no pubic hair.

-Emily & Martie described their pubic hair as "landing strips."

-Of the three, Martie has the most experience at "giving head."

-Natalie and Martie said they don’t like “swallowing” after performing oral sex on a man.

-None of the Chicks have had a lesbian experience, although Martie once was part of a threesome with two other men.

yermom
5/31/2006, 10:44 AM
wow.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/31/2006, 10:46 AM
Well.

That does it for me.

No way I'm listening to chicks that make their husbands sign pre-nups.

Yainches.

OCUDad
5/31/2006, 10:46 AM
If Howard says so, it must be true. :cool:

Sooner in Tampa
5/31/2006, 11:11 AM
I guess they're not alienating too many fans.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060531/nyw075.html?.v=52
Yet another reason Top 40/Pop Music sucks.

Doesn't cancel out the fact that they DONE in the country genre...but I am sure that most people couldn't care less anyway.

Beef
5/31/2006, 11:18 AM
I bought the CD last night. It's excellent. I completely disagree with how they went about criticizing the president and their childish antics, but it's great music, whatever genre you want to put it in.

5/31/2006, 12:39 PM
I bought the CD last night. It's excellent. I completely disagree with how they went about criticizing the president and their childish antics, but it's great music, whatever genre you want to put it in.To have your cake and eat it too, you coulda bought the CD used, and saved money, while not giving any to the yainches.

lefty
6/1/2006, 10:37 AM
Yet another reason Top 40/Pop Music sucks.

Doesn't cancel out the fact that they DONE in the country genre...but I am sure that most people couldn't care less anyway.

Apparently they're on the top of the country chart too.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0606010183jun01,1,6901929.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

KaiserSooner
6/1/2006, 12:30 PM
Sounds like this is one of those Dewey defeats Truman moments. Good for them.

bri
6/1/2006, 01:55 PM
To have your cake and eat it too, you coulda bought the CD used, and saved money, while not giving any to the yainches.

Yeah, 'cause losing that $3 they'd make off a new CD sale would REALLY hit 'em where it hurts...:D

6/1/2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, 'cause losing that $3 they'd make off a new CD sale would REALLY hit 'em where it hurts...:DYes,it's a lot like voting. One vote doesn't amount to much, but, you can guess the rest.

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2006, 02:09 PM
Yes,it's a lot like voting. One vote doesn't amount to much, but, you can guess the rest.
No, it's not. After you cast your vote and then decide you don't like the way you voted you can't sell or give that vote to anyone else.

6/1/2006, 02:14 PM
No, it's not. After you cast your vote and then decide you don't like the way you voted you can't sell or give that vote to anyone else.Yes, it's a lot like, BUT EVEN BETTER THAN voting.

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2006, 02:17 PM
are we talking about sex?
;)

6/1/2006, 02:22 PM
are we talking about sex?
;)So you think I'm saying buying used CD's is better than sex? How did that happen?

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2006, 02:23 PM
Well, usually when I have sex I walk into a small booth and pull a lever....

lighten up Francis.

6/1/2006, 02:41 PM
Well, usually when I have sex I walk into a small booth and pull a lever....

lighten up Francis.Francis is/was lightened up...wait, what happens in that booth after you pull the lever?

bri
6/1/2006, 02:43 PM
Yes,it's a lot like voting. One vote doesn't amount to much, but, you can guess the rest.

A few million people can add up to three America-hating, pinko commie devil women having the #1 album in the country? :D

6/1/2006, 02:46 PM
A few million people can add up to three America-hating, pinko commie devil women having the #1 album in the country? :DAnd I can see that it pleases you. Glad for you.

bri
6/1/2006, 02:49 PM
Well, it always warms the cockles of my black heart to see any of my comrades land a blow against the Great Satan. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to check my Citgo stocks on Google.

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2006, 04:19 PM
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002649839

Tour ticket sales not going so good....

Out-of-the-gate ticket sales for the Dixie Chicks' upcoming Accidents & Accusations tour are far below expectations and several dates will likely be cancelled or postoned.

Initial ticket counts for the 20-plus arena shows that went on sale last weekend were averaging 5,000-6,000 per show in major markets and less in secondaries, according to sources contacted by Billboard. Venue capacities on the tour generally top 15,000.

In contrast, the band's new album, "Taking the Long Way," sold 526,000 units in its first week, according to Nielsen Soundscan, the third largest sales week of 2006. The album remains No. 1 on The Billboard 200 this week.

Despite those numbers, early ticket sales are clearly not meeting projections. The plug was pulled on public on-sales for shows in Indianapolis (Aug. 23), Oklahoma City (Sept. 26), Memphis (Sept. 27) and Houston (Sept. 30) because of tepid pre-sales in a national promotion with Target stores.

The Memphis show has been pulled off the route and the status of the shows in Indianapolis, Houston and Oklahoma City remains uncertain. Industry speculation has it that much or all of the tour may be postponed. At the very least, it is likely routing and capacity will be reconfigured.

Early ticket sales for this tour are in marked contrast to the Chicks' last proper outing in 2003 when a national on-sale moved some 867,000 tickets the first weekend, and second shows were added in several markets. The Chicks ended up with the top-grossing country tour of 2003 at $62 million.

But not all shows on this tour are below projections. "We're happy [with our on-sale] and comparatively seem to be ahead of most," says John Page, Global Spectrum COO/GM at Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, where the trio is booked for July 25. A second date was added for the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, where the first show sold out in eight minutes. "Canada loves the Chicks," says ACC booking director Patti-Ann Tarlton.

After two shows in London, the North American tour was set to begin July 21 in Detroit. But with ticket sales below expectations, it is possible the route and capacities may be further reconfigured. The Chicks are managed by Simon Renshaw and booked by Rob Light at Creative Artists Agency, both of whom declined to comment.