PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever watch "The Young Ones?"

AllAboutThe'O'
5/22/2006, 12:17 AM
Bought the complete series DVD this weekend and it's a riot. For those that don't know, "The Young Ones" was a British sitcom from the early '80s about four quirky college students that share a house. It also featured musical numbers from groups such as Madness, Dexy's Midnight Runners and Motorhead. The series gained popularity when it aired on MTV back in the late '80s (which is how I eventually liked the show).
Another tidbit I didn't know about until recently: The show's theme song was actually recorded by Cliff Richard back in the 1960s (one of the roommates - I won't say who - was a huge Cliff Richard fan; hence, the countless Cliff Richard gags during the show's run, including the cliffhanger (no pun intended) of the series finale).
The DVD also features the first episodes of a couple of series that several of the "Young Ones" cast later starred in along with a series retrospective (apparently, the guys that played Rick and Neil the hippie switched roles in real life because the guy who played Rick looks like Neil and the guy who played Neil looked like Rick.).
Great series, right up there with Monty Python and "Fawlty Towers" as one of the greatest British comedies of all time.

bri
5/22/2006, 06:43 AM
It's time for The Bastard Squad!!!!

SoonerProphet
5/22/2006, 07:04 AM
Madness was on a couple of shows...One Step Beyond.

scaldeddawg
5/22/2006, 07:31 AM
That show was always on whenever I got back to the dormroom on a Sunday night after driving back from home.

Seems like I remember Rik having a "moving acne problem" and Neil having severe gas most of the time.

ousoonerfan
5/22/2006, 07:50 AM
My favorite was when Neil thought he was pregnant. It turned out to only be gas! Greatness.

crawfish
5/22/2006, 09:00 AM
I love The Young Ones. The best episode IMO is "Bambi"...

"Hands up, who likes me?"

NormanPride
5/22/2006, 09:42 AM
"Don't light that!"

Cam
5/22/2006, 07:32 PM
I'm gonna have to buy that set.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/22/2006, 07:36 PM
someone just bought me the 1st and ten set.......pre fatty delta burke