PDA

View Full Version : Trees and power lines

Rhino
5/21/2006, 09:56 PM
I have several trees that have grown fairly close to the powerlines behind my house.

Do I call the electric company (OG&E) to come and trim them back? And if so, do they charge a fee for the trimming?

hurricane'bone
5/21/2006, 09:57 PM
They shouldn't...but if OG&E is like AEP-PSO, they'll either come out in two years or saw off half of the offending tree

oumartin
5/21/2006, 10:02 PM
so, if there is a tree growing up in the power lines in my alley its not my responsibility to cut them away?

VeeJay
5/21/2006, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't think they'd charge you for that.

You could wait until the limbs snap and then they have to deal with irate customers with no power - and still have to cut the limbs away, too - and put the lines back up.

They should thank you for letting them know.

BajaOklahoma
5/21/2006, 10:30 PM
They will trim them for free.
Do you remember the old saying, you get what you pay for? It is so true in this case. There was an article in the DMN last week on the butchering on trees by the local electric company.

Underground utilities rule.

OUAndy1807
5/21/2006, 10:33 PM
they are responsible for keeping the trees off of their lines, but as baja points out, your trees will look like concentration camp survivors when they are done with them.

Sooner24
5/21/2006, 10:57 PM
Used to be OG&E had their people do the trimming but now they contract it out.

olevetonahill
5/21/2006, 11:26 PM
As has been said , If you like the trees hire a Pro to trim em .
The Utility company folk will butcher em
If you dont like the trees ( or your Neighbors ) then let em grow and the company can worry about it :D

SoonerInKCMO
5/21/2006, 11:38 PM
As has been said , If you like the trees hire a Pro to trim em .
The Utility company folk will butcher em
If you dont like the trees ( or your Neighbors ) then let em grow and the company can worry about it :D

And prepare to take it up the pooper. It ain't cheap. Do everything you can to get the electric people to trim the tree.

Oh - while the trimming that the electric company did on a tree in my yard didn't cost anything, they did charge $50 to drop the line.

SoonerInFla
5/22/2006, 12:23 AM
You can rent a pole saw pretty cheap. Chainsaw on a long pole. They work real good too. I rented one last year to get the limbs above the house that might of come down for a hurricane.

LilSooner
5/22/2006, 06:57 AM
Rhino will not be renting a pole saw. I like him and want him to stay around.

walkoffsooner
5/22/2006, 06:59 AM
Call them tell them when the wind blows you saw sparks then get with contractor when he comes out have him trim them the way you want for twenty extra dollars.

scaldeddawg
5/22/2006, 07:54 AM
I had this problem a year ago....... Katrina took care of the limbs, the trees, and the power pole. :D

Jimminy Crimson
5/22/2006, 09:26 AM
Call a Certified Arborist, stat.

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 09:27 AM
Call a Certified Arborist, stat.

Fat chance, he's pro life.

King Crimson
5/22/2006, 10:17 AM
what the city of Norman/OG&E did a few years ago to the treeline along the south part of Berry Road was criminal. concentration camp and butchering from posters above are apt metaphors.

bascially, they just cut off the top 1/3 of the 25+ year old trees that run along both sides of the street.

Osce0la
5/22/2006, 10:19 AM
I had this problem a year ago....... Katrina took care of the limbs, the trees, and the power pole. :D
and the yard, and the house, and the street, and the grocery store down the road...

;)

scaldeddawg
5/22/2006, 12:27 PM
and the yard, and the house, and the street, and the grocery store down the road...

;)

And the neighbors! Yay. (side note: neighbors werent killed, but almost........ I think they floated back to Arkansas)

slickdawg
5/22/2006, 04:10 PM
And the neighbors! Yay. (side note: neighbors werent killed, but almost........ I think they floated back to Arkansas)

But he was SO CHARMING!

How many guys have a tattoo of a hand flipping you off and it says
"**** YOU" under the hand?

Osce0la
5/22/2006, 04:29 PM
But he was SO CHARMING!

Who doesn't have one of those tattooes? :rolleyes:

1stTimeCaller
5/22/2006, 04:31 PM
But he was SO CHARMING!

I'm gonna need to know the location on the body where this tattoo is before I can say yea or ney.