5/21/2006, 03:32 PM
http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/feeds/ap/2006/05/21/ap2761628.html

doesn't look good.

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2006, 03:37 PM
http://www.raw-dogs.com/images/cover.jpg

Okla-homey
5/21/2006, 03:52 PM
Guess they're banking on stud fees to justify the expense of saving him to say nothing of the pain the animal will have to endure if he lives. Hope that works out for them. Just seems the humane thing would be to destroy him.

soonerbrat
5/21/2006, 04:01 PM
they'll give him pain meds..he'll be OK if they decide they can save him
horses are more than just livestock..you can get really emotionally attached to them.i'm sure their choice to try to save him has more motive than just stud fees.

handcrafted
5/21/2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.write-stuff.com/images/products/E372NR.jpg

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 04:53 PM
Amazing that they got him to surgery.

I hope the best for the horse.

As they say in the article...it's amazing they haven't had to put him down.

Things have certainly changed in these situations over the years.

proud gonzo
5/21/2006, 04:56 PM
But if he makes it through the surgery they could still breed him or something, right?

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 04:58 PM
Probably depends on how he does in the healing process.

If he re-injures himself before he completely heals they may have no choice but to put him down. Maybe a Vet, Owner or Trainer who's been through this could give a better answer than me.

proud gonzo
5/21/2006, 05:01 PM
i just mean if he actually heals well and does recover. He won't be able to race or anything obviously, but they could still breed him as a winner of the kentucky derby

Okla-homey
5/21/2006, 05:01 PM
I think most of these big buck thoroughbred breedings involve AI so he wouldn't have to be physically capable of doing the deed, just making the seed.

proud gonzo
5/21/2006, 05:02 PM
that's what I was thinking

Sooner24
5/21/2006, 05:06 PM
Someone in this thread is sure interested in breeding. ;)

soonerbrat
5/21/2006, 05:06 PM
AI?

he still has to be able to do the deed. i could describe semen collection of horses if you'd like. please don't ask me how i know these things.

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 05:12 PM
This looks like a good place for unruly children. ;)

http://www.hffinc.com/images/JPEG%20Files/Horse_Stall.jpg

soonerbrat
5/21/2006, 05:17 PM
wrong thread!

proud gonzo
5/21/2006, 05:20 PM
well yeah, he still has to be able to do a fake horse, but I imagine that's less physical than an actual horse.

the guy on dirty jobs had to do that one day. hehehe

...not do a fake horse, but collect semen from a horse. you know what i meant.

Stanley1
5/21/2006, 05:20 PM
But if he makes it through the surgery they could still breed him or something, right?

Yes, probably horsey-style.

Lame, I know.

proud gonzo
5/21/2006, 05:21 PM
<sigh>

VeeJay
5/21/2006, 05:25 PM
AI?

he still has to be able to do the deed. i could describe semen collection of horses if you'd like. please don't ask me how i know these things.

I'm not sure I want to be enlightened on that technique or not.

Stanley1
5/21/2006, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure I want to be enlightened on that technique or not.

Much like a Donkey Show I'm sure.

Okay, I'm done with this thread, it brings out the worst in me. ;)

BoogercountySooner
5/21/2006, 05:37 PM
Did the donkey hurt ya?:D

SoonerInKCMO
5/21/2006, 05:38 PM
please don't ask me how i know these things.

Please tell us how you know these things. :)

handcrafted
5/21/2006, 06:01 PM
To whoever negged me for the glue photo...lighten up, Francis. It's a *horse*. We race them. These things happen. Have some perspective, geez.

What really frosts me is how people get so up in arms over a horse, yet there are an uncountable number of starving kids in Africa, many of whom have HIV. If yer gonna get upset about something, get upset about that.

opksooner
5/21/2006, 06:07 PM
I think most of these big buck thoroughbred breedings involve AI so he wouldn't have to be physically capable of doing the deed, just making the seed.Well, I don't know about the "big buck breedings" but I once witnessed what was called a "hand breeding". Damnedest thing ya ever saw. (Well....maybe.)

The mare, in heat, was brought into the arena and held by a tether. She was "ready". The stallion was led around her several times until he is erect and "hot to trot", so to speak. Then, this is the good part, when the stallion attempts to mount, an assistant lays hold of the stallion's "equipment" and hand-guides it into mare, insuring a deposit of the semen in the mare. Like I said....damnedest thing ya ever saw. It's called "hand-breeding". Anybody else ever seen this or heard of it?

TUSooner
5/21/2006, 07:20 PM
I've only seen horses do it the old fashioned way. The stud seemd to enjoy it quite a lot actually.

And the glue deal was funny. Tasteless and funny. :D

Scott D
5/21/2006, 09:56 PM
One concern I can think of them having in breeding him would be if they determine him to have brittle bones. That almost completely rules out using him as a stud.

afs
5/21/2006, 10:01 PM
To whoever negged me for the glue photo...lighten up, Francis. It's a *horse*. We race them. These things happen. Have some perspective, geez.

What really frosts me is how people get so up in arms over a horse, yet there are an uncountable number of starving kids in Africa, many of whom have HIV. If yer gonna get upset about something, get upset about that.

it was probably Sooner04. he negged me for my steroid comment yesterday.

Preservation Parcels
5/21/2006, 10:01 PM
According to the local news, he came through the surgery very well. A friend works at the New Bolton Center. It's a top notch place.

TUSooner
5/21/2006, 10:04 PM
According to the local news, he came through the surgery very well. A friend works at the New Bolton Center. It's a top notch place.
Like another poster said: This is a long way from the days when they'd put a horse down right there on the track.

Soonrboy
5/21/2006, 10:06 PM
wonder how many times he's had a "happy release" since he got hurt. Those ain't ice cubes in the freezer, maw.

Also, did anyone else hear the reporter calling this "horrific"? Horrific. A horse breaking an ankle isn't horrific. Katrina, 9/11, okay, horrific.

Partial Qualifier
5/22/2006, 07:17 AM
Also, did anyone else hear the reporter calling this "horrific"? Horrific. A horse breaking an ankle isn't horrific. Katrina, 9/11, okay, horrific.

No kidding. And seriously, who cares? These people who are all beside themselves - I'm guessing there's alot of them since this is still frontpage news - should be asking themselves some serious questions.

picasso
5/22/2006, 09:44 AM
Well, I don't know about the "big buck breedings" but I once witnessed what was called a "hand breeding". Damnedest thing ya ever saw. (Well....maybe.)

The mare, in heat, was brought into the arena and held by a tether. She was "ready". The stallion was led around her several times until he is erect and "hot to trot", so to speak. Then, this is the good part, when the stallion attempts to mount, an assistant lays hold of the stallion's "equipment" and hand-guides it into mare, insuring a deposit of the semen in the mare. Like I said....damnedest thing ya ever saw. It's called "hand-breeding". Anybody else ever seen this or heard of it?
the big timers don't do it like that anymore eh.

also, don't forget about little Timmy who fell in the well.

OhU1
5/22/2006, 10:19 AM
I agree the injury is not "horrific", nor even visually upsetting. However, I don't understand why some people seem to believe that priorities are out of place when people are concerned or care about the welfare of an animal. On the contrary, those who cannot feel empathy for animals are not as likely to feel empathy toward humans either.

Osce0la
5/22/2006, 10:26 AM
I didn't see the race, nor have I read about it...I just saw on the news last night that Barbaro was injured while running...Does anyone know what place he was in when the injury occured? I had a 6/8 exacta and was wondering if he was in the lead when this happened?

Soonrboy
5/22/2006, 10:29 AM
I didn't see the race, nor have I read about it...I just saw on the news last night that Barbaro was injured while running...Does anyone know what place he was in when the injury occured? I had a 6/8 exacta and was wondering if he was in the lead when this happened?

It happened before the first turn, so there is no way of knowing.

Osce0la
5/22/2006, 10:37 AM
It happened before the first turn, so there is no way of knowing.
Ok, I wasn't sure exactly when it had happened. I just looked up at the TV and saw him limping down the track...I bet an exacta on the Derby with the 8 over 17/12 (I just picked a random number for the second number)...If my hand had gone over a half an inch I would've hit the 13 and won $550. As it is, I only won the $8 place bet on the Derby...

SoonerInKCMO
5/22/2006, 10:46 AM
I agree the injury is not "horrific", nor even visually upsetting. However, I don't understand why some people seem to believe that priorities are out of place when people are concerned or care about the welfare of an animal. On the contrary, those who cannot feel empathy for animals are not as likely to feel empathy toward humans either.

I don't know about that... big ol' horse leg doing a Theisman is not exactly a pleasant sight.

OhU1
5/22/2006, 10:54 AM
I don't know about that... big ol' horse leg doing a Theisman is not exactly a pleasant sight.

I watched the race and replays but I guess I didn't see where the break occurred. Just looked like he was dangling his leg out there. I agree that seeing a leg crumple is sickening.

C&CDean
5/22/2006, 10:59 AM
1. I came in from cutting hay long enough to watch the race.

2. Bummer that the horse broke his leg.

3. I sold our last mare last week. Yay. No more ****ing horses!!

4. Horse people are pretty much the suck. I will never sell hay to a horse person on credit. Those ****ers never pay their bills. They have to make payments on their ridiculously stupid $100K horse trailers.

5. An arm, lubricated with copious amounts of vegetable oil, inserted into a bull's rectum and manipulated properly will produce all the semen you need. Of course you have to pull out the Silver Bullet (a contraption that has electrical wires attached that you insert instead of your arm) on the really tough bulls. Collecting horse spunk? Who the hell knows. Horses are so stupid you probably do have to give them a blow up doll to hump.

6. Not offing that horse is cruel. Especially if they have to do it later anyhow. Horse has suffered enough. Put him down, collect the insurance, and move on.

SoonerInKCMO
5/22/2006, 11:11 AM
I watched the race and replays but I guess I didn't see where the break occurred. Just looked like he was dangling his leg out there. I agree that seeing a leg crumple is sickening.

One of the replays I saw, when he pulled up the leg the bottom part of it just kind of flopped out to the side. Only saw it the one time though - most of the other angles weren't right for showing it.

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 11:13 AM
There's a pic of it on Strange Cosmos.

Don't click here if flailing horse legs offend you. (http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/116549.html)

Soonrboy
5/22/2006, 11:21 AM
that was blocked for adult web content. Apparently you have the wrong kind of flailing horge leg.

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 11:22 AM
that was blocked for adult web content. Apparently you have the wrong kind of flailing horge leg.

Probably just the strangecosmos.com website....it's just a still pick of the horse.

Where do you work........The Vatican?

Viking Kitten
5/22/2006, 11:24 AM
The mare, in heat, was brought into the arena and held by a tether. She was "ready". The stallion was led around her several times until he is erect and "hot to trot", so to speak.

I remember from reading Tom Wolfe's "A Man in Full" (good book, btw) that the way the mare gets "ready" is that they bring in some some other, lesser male horse to fluff the mare by basically performing oral sex on her. Then they they lead Ol' Blue Balls off while Big Champ comes in to do the deed.

[giggle.]

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 11:26 AM
There was an episode of Dirty Jobs that showed how they bred horses.....it involved a fake horse woohoo that resembled a giant thigh-high boot.

Partial Qualifier
5/22/2006, 11:39 AM
I don't understand why some people seem to believe that priorities are out of place when people are concerned or care about the welfare of an animal. On the contrary, those who cannot feel empathy for animals are not as likely to feel empathy toward humans either.

Deserves a reply, but let me ask a question first: Do you not feel empathy for the horses as it's juiced up with anabolic steroids & amphetamines?

The sad fact is: these horses are pushed beyond their physiological limits far too often, purely for human amusement and greed. I feel for the horse too, but I'd add this: the horse didn't ask to be pumped up with chemicals and ridden harder than he was meant to be rode.

The pictures of people in tears - w/betting tickets clutched tightly - was ironically pathetic. just my opinion. I'm a little cynical about horse racing, I think it's ridiculous.

:embarrassed:

Partial Qualifier
5/22/2006, 11:40 AM
4. Horse people are pretty much the suck. I will never sell hay to a horse person on credit. Those ****ers never pay their bills. They have to make payments on their ridiculously stupid $100K horse trailers.

Dude.... dude. Please don't get me started on horse people.

Please.

TexasLidig8r
5/22/2006, 12:08 PM
5. An arm, lubricated with copious amounts of vegetable oil, inserted into a bull's rectum and manipulated properly will produce all the semen you need. Of course you have to pull out the Silver Bullet (a contraption that has electrical wires attached that you insert instead of your arm) on the really tough bulls. Collecting horse spunk? Who the hell knows. Horses are so stupid you probably do have to give them a blow up doll to hump.

Ever lost your Rolex in there Kemo Sabe?... Or found a spare set of keys?

LilSooner
5/22/2006, 12:13 PM
Ok as someone who has grown up around horses all of her life I will be the first to say that not ALL horse people suck. K. Let's clarify this a little more racing horse people are teh suck. We have taken in several horses in that came off the track and they were all retarded.

My grandmother has shown horses and even taken them to World, but then again our horses are spoiled rotten.

Also for you folks who said it would be much more humane to put down the horse I have a story for you. 12 years ago when I was 14 I had a colt that was breed for the track she was amazing! Well on the back of our property we still had an old barbwire fence that hadn't been replaced. Well late one night the horses ran the colt back there and she got her hind leg caught in that fence. It tore from her knee to hock down, tore everything off of the bone.

The doc's wanted to put her down, but we didn't it took a year to rebuild the cartilege and muscel, but that damn horse ran on three legs just like the rest of them and she wasn't in pain. She was the doc's miricle baby and since we have used her in trials because her skin would never heal. Because of her we have a product on the market that helps burn patients and people with wounds that won't heal.

She will turn 13 in a couple of weeks and her leg is as good as new. So just because it looks really bad doesn't mean that the horse won't survive and be perfectly fine.

OhU1
5/22/2006, 12:18 PM
Deserves a reply, but let me ask a question first: Do you not feel empathy for the horses as it's juiced up with anabolic steroids & amphetamines?

The sad fact is: these horses are pushed beyond their physiological limits far too often, purely for human amusement and greed. I feel for the horse too, but I'd add this: the horse didn't ask to be pumped up with chemicals and ridden harder than he was meant to be rode.

The pictures of people in tears - w/betting tickets clutched tightly - was ironically pathetic. just my opinion. I'm a little cynical about horse racing, I think it's ridiculous.

Good points and I don't disagree. My observation is directed more to the "it's just an animal humans are more important" zero-sum game type arguments that tend to arise when someone shows concern for the welfare or treatment of animals. Ironically these statements are often purported to be backed by the speaker's religious beliefs.

(disclaimer: no I'm not into PETA and I love eating meat!)

Partial Qualifier
5/22/2006, 12:46 PM
I hear you OhU1. I'm feeling a little defensive lately and I assumed you were replying to me in particular. I agree with you on the "it's just an animal" tip. And I almost put that same PETA disclaimer on my post

:)

Lil, thank you for the clarification. The "horse people" I've known who are teh suck were indeed all horse racing wannabes. I should qualify that by saying I worked for a VERY successful horse breeder for a couple years and his organization was level-headed. There are tons of others who are unbelievably misguided... oh lord I better just stop now.

LilSooner
5/22/2006, 12:49 PM
Nah, I know what your talking about. I've seen some scary stuff. Growing up my mom was a photogapher for a horse racing magazine so I've been to alot of the ranches in texass. Those people just ain't right.

SoonerInKCMO
5/22/2006, 12:52 PM
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/horses/_photos/2006-05-21-barbaro-xray-large.jpg

LilSooner
5/22/2006, 01:00 PM
That horse will be just fine he will be squirtin out babies in no time.

Scott D
5/22/2006, 01:22 PM
That horse will be just fine he will be squirtin out babies in no time.

the torn rectum will kill him then ;)

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 01:51 PM
the torn rectum will kill him then ;)

Howzit's hasn't hurt him any.

C&CDean
5/22/2006, 02:13 PM
I bought my property/house from a horse person. A barrell racer. Let me tell you her story:

Somebody in her family dies, and leaves her a very large inheritance. So, she finds this house on 160 acres and buys it. Cash money. Hires a dozer man to come in and build an arena and has some horse stalls built in the barn. Cash money. Buys a couple of very high $$ barrell horses. Then, she quits her job to do horses full time.

This pretty much brings her to the end of her inheritance. Well somebody's gotta pay the electricity and taxes. So, she marries a trucker.

Dude decides he needs a new Peterbilt and reefer. Also a new John Deere - fully decked out with loader, blade, brush hog, and a trailer to haul them off on. They buy it all on credit - with the house and property as collateral. Then, she decides she wants this really cool 4 horse slant with a nice apartment built up front and a new dually pickup to haul it with. Again, on credit, with the house and land as collateral.

Anyhow, about a year or so later she finds out the trucker has girlfriends in pretty much every truckstop. She divorces him, and sells the John Deere for pennies on the dollar. Then we bid on the place - and she can't take the bid because what we offered wouldn't pay off her bills. So, the real estate guy (who was a friend of mine) was willing to drop his commission to 2% so the deal would work. At closing, the check written to her was less than $800.

To capsulate - bitch had a $400K place free and clear. Quits her job, marries a loser, and hocks the place up to her eyebrows. She loses everything, and currently works in a tack shop in Wisconsin for minimum wage. And she just remarried the trucker a month or two ago.

The funniest part about this whole sad story is that she owes my neighbor $1,000 for hay. He asked if I was gonna pay her hay bill when I bought the place. I laughed.

She is just your average horse person. Clueless. With a capital C.

And liking/owning horses doesn't make you a "horse person." Being an irresponsible, poor money managing, I'll starve and not pay my bills so my horses can eat buffoon makes you a horse person.

Stanley1
5/22/2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks Dean.

C&CDean
5/22/2006, 02:25 PM
You're welcome Stan. Any time.

OhU1
5/22/2006, 02:47 PM
She is just your average horse person. Clueless. With a capital C.

And liking/owning horses doesn't make you a "horse person." Being an irresponsible, poor money managing, I'll starve and not pay my bills so my horses can eat buffoon makes you a horse person.

Toby Keith told us on the radio and TV in 2004 to pass the casino and lottery referendum because it would save the horsemen. Sounds like Toby needs to get them more help. :texan:

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 02:49 PM
To my knowledge, the lottery referendum was never intended to aid the "horsemen"...........not so sure about the casino one though.

OUDoc
5/22/2006, 02:56 PM
To my knowledge, the lottery referendum was never intended to aid the "horsemen"...........not so sure about the casino one though.
It's about time.

http://www.waynemoran.com/family/images/centar_sm.jpg

soonerbrat
5/22/2006, 04:14 PM

if you implied that you were sending starving kids in Africa to the glue factory, i'm sure you'd get negged for that too.

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 04:18 PM
I bet I know who did it. :D

soonerbrat
5/22/2006, 04:21 PM
wasn't me.

Stanley1
5/22/2006, 04:22 PM
It's about time.

http://www.waynemoran.com/family/images/centar_sm.jpg

Half-man, half-horse. I can relate.

Mjcpr
5/22/2006, 04:23 PM

http://img1.travelblog.org/Photos/587/2424/t/7565-A-Tiny-Horse-0.jpg

colleyvillesooner
5/22/2006, 04:24 PM

No dude, you're a horse's ***, not half horse.

Geeez :rolleyes:

:D

C&CDean
5/22/2006, 04:30 PM

Dude does look a lot like you. Above the neck anyhow. I see a fark in somebody's future.......

OCUDad
5/22/2006, 04:32 PM
Dean, are you suggesting that Stanley be put down, too?

Stanley1
5/22/2006, 04:33 PM
Haters.

C&CDean
5/22/2006, 04:42 PM
Dean, are you suggesting that Stanley be put down, too?

Now that you mention it.....

handcrafted
5/22/2006, 05:55 PM
I agree also with those who have said it's more humane to destroy the horse. Think of the pain that poor animal will have to endure just so his owners can collect stud fees down the road. Because let's be honest, that is all this is about. If the owners didn't think the stud fees would be worth a lot more than the surgery and rehab is costing (and more than the insurance money), then my first post in this thread applies.

Of course, they may be collecting the insurance money anyway. I don't know if those policies pay off for career-ending injuries (which, for a thoroughbred, is pretty much anything).

AllAboutThe'O'
5/23/2006, 06:27 PM
Well, it's a new day. I need my daily "How's Barbaro doing?" fix.

TUSooner
5/23/2006, 07:13 PM
I agree also with those who have said it's more humane to destroy the horse. Think of the pain that poor animal will have to endure just so his owners can collect stud fees down the road. Because let's be honest, that is all this is about. If the owners didn't think the stud fees would be worth a lot more than the surgery and rehab is costing (and more than the insurance money), then my first post in this thread applies.

Of course, they may be collecting the insurance money anyway. I don't know if those policies pay off for career-ending injuries (which, for a thoroughbred, is pretty much anything).

Let's let the horse decide:
The long dirt nap or lots of horsey sex and a gimpy leg?

forget it

Preservation Parcels
5/23/2006, 07:57 PM
Well, it's a new day. I need my daily "How's Barbaro doing?" fix.

According to the local paper, he's doing well. According to the local news, he's showing off for the mares.
newspaper article (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060523/SPORTS/60523005)