PDA

View Full Version : Mowed the lawn today

royalfan5
5/21/2006, 01:38 PM
I really had forgotten how much fun mowing the lawn was. Just more motivation for me to become a homeowner as soon as feasible.

OUHOMER
5/21/2006, 01:44 PM
I just finished, start at 08:30 and finished at 13:30. Only 5 hours not bad..

King Crimson
5/21/2006, 01:48 PM
I just finished, start at 08:30 and finished at 13:30. Only 5 hours not bad..

wow. 5 hours. that's a pretty stout track. i used to mow our lawn and the empty lot next door that we owned when i was a kid--about an acre total. that was a solid 3 with the push snapper. the self-propelled John Deere was slower....about 3 1/2. surprised i never died of heat stroke.

ChickSoonerFan
5/21/2006, 01:49 PM
Fun?? Fun??

I don't know about FUN. It feels good to get it done, a sense of accomplishment and all, good exercise, yes.

But fun?

Maybe you need to get out more. ;)

royalfan5
5/21/2006, 01:50 PM
It only took me 2.25 hrs on a corner lot. It was nothing compared to what I was used to since I used to work grounds crew at a college in the summer, and push mow a 2.5 acre lawn at home. I found that wind sprints behind a mower were great for football conditioning.

royalfan5
5/21/2006, 01:51 PM
Fun?? Fun??

I don't know about FUN. It feels good to get it done, a sense of accomplishment and all, good exercise, yes.

But fun?

Maybe you need to get out more. ;)
I want to be a farmer someday, my defintion of fun is quite different from most rational people.

Now it's time to go get a DQ blizzard to reward myself.

SicEmBaylor
5/21/2006, 02:26 PM
I've never mowed the lawn. It doesn't look like fun to me. What exactly is fun about it?

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2006, 02:29 PM
I want to be a farmer someday, my defintion of fun is quite different from most rational people.

Now it's time to go get a DQ blizzard to reward myself.http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/images/Anim_Homepage.gif

royalfan5
5/21/2006, 02:30 PM
I've never mowed the lawn. It doesn't look like fun to me. What exactly is fun about it?
You might be the most sheltered male I have ever interacted with. You've never mowed a lawn? Did you always live in an apartment and never have a summer job. There are a lot of fun things about lawn mowing. You get to get sweaty and dirty for one. You get to be outside, and your progress is visible to all.

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2006, 02:44 PM
You might be the most sheltered male I have ever interacted with. That explains the Zima thing.:D

SicEmBaylor
5/21/2006, 02:59 PM
You might be the most sheltered male I have ever interacted with. You've never mowed a lawn? Did you always live in an apartment and never have a summer job. There are a lot of fun things about lawn mowing. You get to get sweaty and dirty for one. You get to be outside, and your progress is visible to all.

Nah, lived in a house with a decent sized yard. Thing is the cut grass KILLS my allergies so I just never did it. Anywhoo, had a summer (year round job) of lifeguarding, teaching swim lessons, and co-coaching a junior swim team. So most of my time was spent at the pool especially in the summers. No time to cut grass. :D

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2006, 03:05 PM
Sic, you missed some good grass man.
http://www.canadianactors.info/Tommy_CheechSHOP.jpg

SoonerObsession
5/21/2006, 03:09 PM
For some reason I have always liked doing yard work. When I was in college I worked for a guy who had his own landscaping company. There were three people in our crew and we had 50 properties to take care of a week. Some of those properties were small yards, but several were really big. I'll never forget the first time I got behind one of those 36 inch walk behind mowers. I was terrified! After a week or so it was like an extension of my body. We mowed all 50 properties in 4 days. The boss taught guitar at UCO on Monday's and did not like working weekends. Somedays after teaching a bunch of misbehaving kids I wish I still had that job. ;)

BoogercountySooner
5/21/2006, 03:11 PM
It took me about 20 minutes to spray roundup on the weeds in my gravel yard on Thursday!

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2006, 03:16 PM
It took me about 20 minutes to spray roundup on the weeds in my gravel yard on Thursday!I've got one of those yards. I need to go out and pee on the weeds.

SicEmBaylor
5/21/2006, 03:22 PM
My dad had a neighbor in the 50's who was a WWII veteran and managed to retain his flamethrower. My dad says every spring this guy would go out there and blow torch his yard and burn it all off so he wouldn't have to mow during the rest of the year.

TUSooner
5/21/2006, 03:28 PM
For some reason I have always liked doing yard work. When I was in college I worked for a guy who had his own landscaping company. There were three people in our crew and we had 50 properties to take care of a week. Some of those properties were small yards, but several were really big. I'll never forget the first time I got behind one of those 36 inch walk behind mowers. I was terrified! After a week or so it was like an extension of my body. We mowed all 50 properties in 4 days. The boss taught guitar at UCO on Monday's and did not like working weekends. Somedays after teaching a bunch of misbehaving kids I wish I still had that job. ;)
At OCU I worked for George the campus groundskeeper. Maybe the best job I ever had. Anybody remember the greenhouse at OCU? A chunk of the tropics, parrots included.

BoogercountySooner
5/21/2006, 03:45 PM
I really have a gravel yard 140 ton's worth!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/arkiejeff/IMG_1747.jpg

King Crimson
5/21/2006, 03:48 PM
i had a college groundskeeping job one summer. me and my buddy John. they gave us a list of stuff to do. and showed us the equipment shed and said get to it. after we finished all the stuff on the list two days later.....the grounds manager told us: "that was for all week, you dummies".

we spent a lot of that summer watching Leave it to Beaver and Green Acres and making these crazy italian sausage and jalapeno nachos...on our 3 hour lunch breaks. good times. almost the best job i ever had.

Flagstaffsooner
5/21/2006, 03:48 PM
Holy **** Booger, I have cinders.

King Crimson
5/21/2006, 03:50 PM
nice trees booger. thumbs up.

BoogercountySooner
5/21/2006, 03:50 PM
Can you get a shot for that?:D

BoogercountySooner
5/21/2006, 03:51 PM
nice trees booger. thumbs up.

I got 37 acres of them there tree's! Thanks:)

Kimberlyz4OU
5/21/2006, 05:29 PM
I love, love, love doing yardwork, it's seems like some sort of therapy for me, i dunno. Planting an ugly bulb, watching it grow to a beautiful flower, wow, just wow! I would say on an average weekend, I spend about 5 hours a day outside in my yard!

Kimberlyz4OU
5/21/2006, 05:29 PM
Oh, and Booger, those are beautiful trees!

StoopTroup
5/21/2006, 07:42 PM
Hey Booger...

It's about time for a Home update.

The last pics were of when you moved in.

How's it going now? Improvements yet?

That is a very beautiful place.