PDA

View Full Version : Preakness.....

Stanley1
5/20/2006, 05:28 PM
Well that sucked. I haven't watched alot of horse racing, but I've never seen anything like that happen in a race. I was pulling for him, makes the Belmont more interesting.

If broken, does that mean his racing days are over?

ChickSoonerFan
5/20/2006, 05:29 PM
Means you loose, I win. :D

SoonerInKCMO
5/20/2006, 05:43 PM
Means you loose :D

So dirty! :eek:

BajaOklahoma
5/20/2006, 05:47 PM
It isn't even certain he will live. The location of the fractures, with regard to weightbearing on a huge animal and the blood supply to that area, are among the more difficult to treat.
Sad.

King Crimson
5/20/2006, 05:52 PM
what happened?

Flagstaffsooner
5/20/2006, 06:01 PM
what happened?
Updated: May 20, 2006, 6:42 PM ET
Bernardini wins Preakness; Barbaro injured early

Associated Press

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_In_House_Marketing/Apr_2006/espn-146x46-0007.gif (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=528A72DE-A2D0-4F4C-BA7B-4DC6312DEA81&drop=0&addata=1332:65:229342:65&a=1&goto=http://mobile.espn.go.com/See-It.html?campaign=mobile&source=ESPN_ROS_146x46_BaseballRidicStatsLink)

BALTIMORE -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro broke down at the start and Bernardini went on to win the $1 million Preakness Stakes on Saturday.
2006 Triple CrownRace Date/Location Winner Kentucky Derby May 6, Louisville, Ky. Barbaro Preakness Stakes May 20, Baltimore Bernardini Belmont Stakes June 10, Elmont, N.Y. (ABC)
The horrifying scene occurred in the first few hundred yards after the field of nine horses broke from the starting gate.
Barbaro was in the middle of the pack when he suddenly dropped back under Edgar Prado. The colt was favoring his right rear leg.
Trainer Michael Matz bolted from his seat and ran onto the track where embraced Prado. The jockey went over to owner Gretchen Jackson and said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."
Top Preakness finishersWin: Bernardini
Place: Sweetnorthernsaint
Show: Hemingway's Key

She put an arm on his shoulder and said, "You did a great job."
Fans were crying in the grandstand as the horse was loaded into an ambulance and taken away, his injured leg in an inflatable cast.
"You never expect it," Jackson said as she walked back to the barn.

Dog food.

BajaOklahoma
5/20/2006, 06:02 PM
From www.msnbc.com

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro broke down at the start and broke the hearts of racing fans as Bernardini went on to win the $1 million Preakness Stakes on Saturday.

The horrifying scene occurred in the first few hundred yards after the field of nine horses broke from the starting gate.

Barbaro was in the middle of the pack when he suddenly dropped back under Edgar Prado. The colt was favoring his right rear leg.

Dr. Larry Bramlage, the attending veterinarian for the race, said Barbaro suffered a fracture above and below the ankle.

“It’s a serious fracture. This will require pretty major surgery. ... Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer,” he said.

Trainer Michael Matz bolted from his seat and ran onto the track where he embraced Prado. The jockey went over to owner Gretchen Jackson and said, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

She put an arm on his shoulder and said, “You did a great job.”

Fans were crying in the grandstand as the unbeaten 3-year-old was loaded into an equine ambulance and taken away, his injured leg in an inflatable cast.

“You never expect it,” Jackson said as she walked back to the barn.

Prado pulled Barbaro to a stop just past the finish line and jumped off.

The devastating development took all the excitement from a crowd expected a victory by Barbaro that would have set the stage for a Triple Crown attempt in the Belmont Stakes in three weeks.

All the Triple talk is over now.

The Preakness went on, though, with Bernardini taking control from pace-setter Like Now and pulling away for 5¼-length victory over Sweetnorthernsaint.

Hemingway’s Key was third, followed by Brother Derek, Greeley’s Legacy, Platinum Couple and Like Now.

afs
5/20/2006, 06:03 PM
'roids are a hellava drug.

King Crimson
5/20/2006, 06:04 PM
that's too bad.

Newbomb Turk
5/20/2006, 08:50 PM
man - I just watched the replay on ESPN.

:(

Jerk
5/20/2006, 10:03 PM
damn..that really sux.