PDA

View Full Version : Oil industry guys

slickdawg
5/20/2006, 01:21 PM
I just talked to a retired buddy that was in Oil for many years.

He hears that today, there's enough off the coast of Cailfornia and
in the Gulf and in Alaska to completely break our dependence from
foriegn sources. The environmental issues are the problem.

Is that a fair statement?

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 01:27 PM
I heard man landed on the moon.

SoonerBorn68
5/20/2006, 01:29 PM
Wouldn't suprise me. I was talking to our directional driller about drilling in Alaska since he has experience there. He said that when he was there it was like drilling offshore--meaning one rig would really be 8 different wells. They use the same vertical hole & then push out laterally in 8 different directions. So when the libs say there'll be a crapload of rigs out on the tundra, there won't.

Most rigs I've been on that have been horizontals, have about 2K-3K feet of lateral hole...You can get several times more oil or gas per day this way and you won't have a large impact on the environment.

Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere. There's about 20 old rig pads here. They are not scarring the land or have any industry waste on them. They are all just gravel pads with a pump jack & holding tanks on them.

SoonerInFla
5/20/2006, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure about the part about breaking our dependence completely but there is a helluva lot more resources available to us here than we're lead to beleive. There are oil strategies that are a little more complicated for the average person to understand and I beleive that if push comes to shove, the environmental issues will not be a problem.

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 01:44 PM
I'd like to see more greenpeace folks here in the US.

They are such a joy to watch.

http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/950-17/greenpeace-biocorn-protest-3.jpg

SoonerBorn68
5/20/2006, 01:45 PM
It's funny. Nobody seems to be worried what the oil industry is doing to affect the wildlife in the Tejas panhandle...just the friggin' caribou in Alaska. The truth is, at least where I'm at now, from what I've seen the wildlife is wholly unaffected. The free range cattle probably cause much more damage than the rigs. I've seen more turkey, deer, ducks, coyotes, & quail than I've seen collectively in my life. On an upnote, we're drilling on a riverbottom so the water table is very shallow. One of the by products is an excessive amount of ground water, which is being pumped off location. It's turned into a little marsh out by the rig & is attracting all sorts of birds & frogs. I even saw a duck & her ducklings earlier today.

walkoffsooner
5/20/2006, 03:00 PM
Scare tactics to get oil prices up there is no shortage.Drill and cap. Drill and cap.Comes around every 15 years or so.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/20/2006, 03:10 PM
Scare tactics to get oil prices up there is no shortage.Drill and cap. Drill and cap.Comes around every 15 years or so.The environmental scare tactics that keep us dependent on foreign oil from dictator-run countries not only keep oil prices up, but they also jeopardize our nat. security.

SoonerInFla
5/20/2006, 03:25 PM
Scare tactics to get oil prices up there is no shortage.Drill and cap. Drill and cap.Comes around every 15 years or so.

Exactly. Cap it. Say there's nothing down there. Write it off as a loss and come back 3 years later and get it.

The environmental scare tactics that keep us dependent on foreign oil from dictator-run countries not only keep oil prices up, but they also jeopardize our nat. security.

I'm not buying the national security being in jeopardy. First of all, if it comes to that we have reserves, whether it's actually ours doesn't matter. If it comes right down to it, we take Iraqs and make em like it.
Second of all, when it comes to the choice of walking or protecting the environment, you can bet your bottom dollar, the environmentalists will be the first ones screaming and hollering to go get that oil.

Skysooner
5/20/2006, 03:31 PM

Completely wrong. There is a bigger problem than you think. It is a fair assessment to say that there is enough oil off the coasts of Florida, California, and Alaska to break the dependence. The big problem is that there are not enough industry professionals, equipment or infrastructure to bring that much oil online per day. Even if the government gave us the right to drill, the environmentalists would most likely tie it up in court for years.

The truly easy-to-get oil is gone. Certainly there are reservoirs out there that are huge but in out of the way places that puts them under the jurisdiction of extreme regimes that can shut it off faster than you can say civil war. We are spending more and more to get less oil. Just to give you an idea. When we drill for oil, we evaluate the production and assign a reserve volume to it. One of the big metrics we use is called Finding & Development Cost, and we measure it in $/barrel. Just about 5 years ago, the cost to find & develop a barrel of oil was around $6/bbl. Today, we are lucky to find reserves at $12.50/bbl. Of course the price is up which helps us a bunch, but the costs to drill and the ability to find oil decreases every year.

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 05:00 PM
I've decided to use olive oyle as much as I can.

http://www.londonstimes.us/toons/cartoons/richdiesslin_olive.gif

OklahomaTuba
5/20/2006, 05:14 PM
Theres enough oil sands in Canada to do all that. In fact I will be in Alberta all next week.

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 05:21 PM
If we run out of oil...will all of our chakras be out of alignment or just some of them? If just some of them...which ones would probably be the most affected?
http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/images/chakrabase.gif

OklahomaTuba
5/20/2006, 06:29 PM
If I had to walk to work everyday, all my chakras would be ****ed.

SoonerInKCMO
5/20/2006, 06:37 PM
So... I'm trying to find the source pic for Tuba's avatar and learned something: TUBA can mean Trans-Umbilical Breast Augmentation. I didn't find the source pic; but I found some others that were better. :)

OklahomaTuba
5/20/2006, 07:29 PM
Here tis KC...
http://fangor.freeshell.org/image/abut.jpg

Is a thing a beauty.

afs
5/20/2006, 07:38 PM
It's turned into a little marsh out by the rig & is attracting all sorts of birds & frogs. I even saw a duck & her ducklings earlier today.

Yeah they were covered in OIL!!!!!

SoonerBorn68
5/20/2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah they were covered in OIL!!!!!

You're not suppose to know that! ;)

Oh well, I did the right thing...I hate to see poor animals suffer so I set the pond on fire & had a feast. :D