PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Retires, To Be Sainted by the Vatican Next Week

Mjcpr
5/20/2006, 09:52 AM
Reading some of the articles in today's Tulsa World, you'd think Eddie was hanging them up simply because it was time, he wanted to be with his family, etc, etc after years of curing cancer, resolving religious disputes in the Middle East and coaching a little hoop. I guess everyone forgot what forced the man to retire. All I read was how great he was and how great it is that he can retire and do the things he never got a chance to do. Whatever.

I like the man, he seems like a nice guy and all and I wish him no harm but it's like the whole drug and alcohol induced car wreck never happened. Now, 3 months removed he's going to somehow be involved in a program at osu preaching the dangers of alcoholism and how to avoid it? Okay.

Sheesh......celebrate his career and all but cool it with the Saint Eddie talk for cying out loud. That's all I'm saying.

:eddie:

dolemitesooner
5/20/2006, 09:53 AM
I think eddie sutton is drunk...
I got nothing

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 09:53 AM
Eddie who?

dolemitesooner
5/20/2006, 09:55 AM
Haskel

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 09:56 AM
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.

oh.

Mjcpr
5/20/2006, 09:58 AM
Sutton must be praised for thinking of himself

STILLWATER -- Eddie Sutton said goodbye Friday to coaching basketball. Good for Eddie Sutton.

After 46 seasons of selfless dedication to the care and development of hundreds of young men on the high school, junior college and major college levels, Sutton is finally going to be selfish and take care of himself.

That's wonderful news for everyone who loves and admires one of the game's legendary figures. For his family and friends, it means Sutton should be with us a whole lot longer than he would have been had he continued coaching at Oklahoma State.

Sutton said as much during his farewell address after 16 storybook seasons at his beloved al ma mater. He talked candidly about the relapse he had last February with alcoholism, and said the disease is a "slow suicide" if it goes untreated.

The 70-year-old Sutton, who won 798 games on the Division I level, is determined not to lose the never-ending fight with the insidious disease. His healthy appearance at Friday's press conference indicated that he's winning the battle against the bottle big time.

That's why his decision to retire should be cause for joy instead of sadness by those who truly care about him. He now can devote most of his time to fully regaining his health nd maintaining it. Sutton joked that he had grown two inches since the media last saw him. He once again can stand erect after he had corrective back surgery while also completing an alcohol treatment program. "For two years I was like this," Sutton said as he leaned forward.

Officially, it was a back injury that caused him to walk with a stoop, and added even more wrinkles to the face made famous by the "Sutton scowl."
But in truth, Sutton's back no longer could hold up under the heavy burden he silently carried the past few years. In addition to the alcoholism, Sutton never got over the massive heartache he's felt since the 2001 airplane crash that killed 10 people associated with the OSU men's basketball program.

Family members have said Sutton suppressed the grief and remorse he felt over the crash because he felt he needed to remain strong for the people who lost loved ones. The sadness he kept buried deep inside his soul also caused bouts with depression, which he also kept to himself because he wanted to be there for those who still grieve.
"There is not a day that goes by that I don't remember those 10 remarkable people," he said.

The combination of mental and physical pain finally reached the point that Sutton attempted to ease it with alcohol. That led to an automobile accident last February, which played a critical role in his decision to retire and turn OSU men's hoops over to his son, Sean.

"The accident was one of the low points of my life," Sutton said. "But maybe that was God's way of telling me that there are some things I can do to help people."

And that was the second part of Friday's celebration. In addition to Sutton looking healthier than he has in years, he revealed that he will take on a new project at OSU to help with alcohol education and support.

So, in typical Sutton fashion, the old coach is going to take on a new team. He's going to teach college students the dangers of alcohol and drugs, and try to record several more wins in the game of life as he saves people from the slow suicide.

Friday's announcement means Sutton fell shy of reaching the magical 800-win plateau. Sutton acknowledged that he seriously considered coming back next season to get those two elusive wins before deciding 798 were enough.

To me, Sutton never fell shy of any goal while at OSU. He exceeded everyone's expectations when he returned Cowboy basketball to national prominence. Along the way, he restored pride in an entire athletic program and its rabid and loyal fan base.

More importantly, Sutton continued a tradition at OSU that had been the hallmark of his career from the first day he became a coach at Tulsa Central High School. He made men out of boys, teaching them life's lessons with as much passion as he taught them the fundamentals of basketball.

"I always felt there were some things I could do to help young men on our basketball teams to get ready for the real world," Sutton said. "I know that our program saved a lot of people's lives."

And now Eddie Sutton has finally called a timeout so he can save his own life. Good for Eddie Sutton.

He's given us reason to celebrate both the end of a wonderful coaching career and the start of an important and exciting stage of his life that's waiting to be lived.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?ID=060520_Sp_B1_Sutto7135_1

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 10:00 AM
Do we have to read that?

Mjcpr
5/20/2006, 10:01 AM
Do we have to read that?

Mainly, I was posting it for when the adults get on the board later.

You and doleo stay in the Pimpest 4 Word thread, k?

:D

King Crimson
5/20/2006, 10:10 AM
was that reprinted from Pravda?

seriously, good luck to Eddie. and i'm not gonna hit the guy for alcholism and the plane crash was horrible, but he did cheat at Kentucky. which part of teaching life's lessons was that about?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2006, 10:52 AM
"The accident was one of the low points of my life," Sutton said. "But maybe that was God's way of telling me that there are some things I can do to help people."

Ok God is telling Pat Robertson thing but Pat isnt sure he is hearing God correctly..Now God is telling Eddy to get drunk and run over people to teach him that he can help people?

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 10:55 AM
Mainly, I was posting it for when the adults get on the board later.

You and doleo stay in the Pimpest 4 Word thread, k?

:D
When do the Adults usually come around?

I mean...what year? :D

booomer
5/20/2006, 10:58 AM
Reading some of the articles in today's Tulsa World, you'd think Eddie was hanging them up simply because it was time, he wanted to be with his family, etc, etc after years of curing cancer, resolving religious disputes in the Middle East and coaching a little hoop. I guess everyone forgot what forced the man to retire. All I read was how great he was and how great it is that he can retire and do the things he never got a chance to do. Whatever.

I like the man, he seems like a nice guy and all and I wish him no harm but it's like the whole drug and alcohol induced car wreck never happened. Now, 3 months removed he's going to somehow be involved in a program at osu preaching the dangers of alcoholism and how to avoid it? Okay.

Sheesh......celebrate his career and all but cool it with the Saint Eddie talk for cying out loud. That's all I'm saying.

Good post and I couldn't agree more.

Jimminy Crimson
5/20/2006, 11:51 AM
I couldn't read the f'n paper today b/c my eyes hurt so bad from looking at it.

Straight to the trash.

F that drunk arsewipe!

PhxSooner
5/20/2006, 12:05 PM
Thank goodness my parents are out of town today, 'cause I know my dad would have vomited the minute he saw the paper.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/20/2006, 12:09 PM
Did you guys know that in the Da Vince Code....Jesus's Bride was actually Eddie Sutton. How many national titles did Eddie win? The number is VERY close to Sampson's number isn't it?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2006, 12:20 PM
God-Eddie this is God here...This is what I want you to do....First get loaded up on Vicodin.....That probably wont be enough so please go to the liquor store and get some vodka or something....If you stumble or fall, I will send a couple of brain dead "top flight" security guys your way to help you along...You ll hit a lady three times...yes three times....No No its Ok...Dont worry about your reputation...Thats what the World and OKlahoman are there for.....To build you up so that public perception of you wont be changed...Somehow you ll be the victim....No No even better...You ll be a hero....and this is how I will show you to help people

Czar Soonerov
5/20/2006, 12:29 PM
http://x2.putfile.com/2/4319505517.jpg
http://x2.putfile.com/2/4315461119.jpg

http://x4.putfile.com/2/4719124537.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
5/20/2006, 01:03 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Czar Soonerov again.

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 01:20 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Czar Soonerov again.

Same thing here.

Czar...

You made me laugh so hard I spewed BBQ sauce thru my nose.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/20/2006, 02:05 PM
I think I'm going to drink a beer or five in his honor tonight.

Wait. . .who am I kidding. He's not the reason I'm drinking tonight.

bri
5/20/2006, 02:43 PM
F*ck Eddie Sutton, and f*ck the kiss-*ss, aggy-worshipping "local media" that gives him a f*ckin' free pass after he ALMOST KILLED A WOMAN. :mad:

Scott D
5/20/2006, 02:46 PM
but bri, how do you REALLY feel? :)

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/20/2006, 02:47 PM
Sutton can turn water into wine....that is part of his problem ;)

proud gonzo
5/20/2006, 06:33 PM

that doesn't make any sense unless he's attending. AS far as I can tell he still doesn't have any idea about how to avoid the glug-glug, vroom-vroom, thump-thump.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/20/2006, 06:37 PM
Jeez, they're already writing about his Sainthood.

http://www.cin.org/stedward.html

walkoffsooner
5/20/2006, 07:12 PM
Even a drunk has to realize he is a drunk.I don't think the media is fooling him.

bri
5/20/2006, 08:01 PM
No, I don't think the media is fooling him. I think HE has fooled the media.

Sorry-*** f*ckstick...

Scott D
5/20/2006, 10:47 PM
In regards to the article 'Sutton must be praised for thinking of himself' I have to say, 'For what?' If this article had been how Sutton was never going to drive another car for the rest of his life, then some minor attempt at cannonization could happen. However, from what I've seen the man is doing what he has done over the years. He's paying the 'proper' amount of lip service to what he's done wrong with promises of doing things right in the future.

How many times do we have to hear this from someone whom happens to have celebrity status? If it was any other 70 year old man he'd be facing time in jail for the crime he committed. I have no sympathy for a man who has cheated in his career more than once, and been caught more than once. I can sympathize over the tragic accident that resulted in the deaths of those young men, however it shouldn't have been an impetus for him to dive back into the booze (provided he actually was clean before that). Perhaps we should be pointing a finger at the support system that failed this man in a time where he clearly needed it.

I'm sorry, but the only thing you can convince me regarding Eddie Sutton is that the only thing he is sorry for is he's sorry for the fact that he got caught. I guess if anything, the public should be thankful he didn't kill anyone, and we should be praising the woman that he almost killed.

Oh, and we cannot forget. How long will it take for Eddie in classic Sutton style to start taking short cuts with this project on alcohol education and support?

I like Sittler, but I felt the need to pwn him.