PDA

View Full Version : "In God We Trust" removed from Yearbook

mrowl
5/20/2006, 09:36 AM
this is pathetic. How about just not using a coin in the first place?

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14628069.htm

Coin image omits 'In God We Trust'

By JESSAMY BROWN
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

A Keller school district parent said political correctness has run amok at her daughter's elementary school, where the principal chose to omit the words "In God We Trust" from an oversize coin depicted on the yearbook cover.

Janet Travis, principal of Liberty Elementary School in Colleyville, wanted to avoid offending students of different religions, a district spokesman said. Students were given stickers with the words that could be affixed to the book if they so chose.

Debi Ackerman of North Richland Hills said she is offended by the omission. It's yet another example of a politically correct culture that is removing Christian references from all public places, she said.

"I think it's really ridiculous," said Ackerman, whose daughter Tawni, 10, took the book home Thursday afternoon. "Now it has come to this. ... When is it going to end?"

She likened the situation to retailers that use "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" in their displays and advertising.

"First, we can't say 'Christmas' trees. It's 'holiday' trees. Then it's 'holiday' decorations," Ackerman said. "It just doesn't make any sense to me."

Officials chose an image of an enlarged nickel for the yearbook cover because this is Liberty Elementary's first year and because the nickel has a new design this year.

The nickel design features President Jefferson and the word Liberty in cursive, with the words "In God We Trust" along the right edge.

Keller administrators agreed with the decision, which Travis made in conjunction with a school parents group, district spokesman Jason Meyer said. District policy states, in part: "The District shall take no action respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech."

Principals must strive to remain neutral regarding religion, Meyer said.

"It's not always easy to make everybody happy when we are making decisions," he said. He said Travis was unavailable for comment Friday.

Michael Linz, a Dallas attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union, said the district's move was appropriate, sensitive and constitutional.

"Sometimes administrators and schools are really caught trying to make appropriate decisions with respect to people's views. Someone is always going to complain," he said. "I think that the school administrators were drawing the appropriate line by trying not to offend others."

Many parents have said they like the $16 yearbook, which chronicles the school's inaugural year, said Tom Gardner of Colleyville, president of the Liberty PTA. Parents donated photos of events, he said.

Ackerman suggested that the school could have used a different symbol for liberty, such as the Liberty Bell or the Statue of Liberty, if it was concerned about giving offense. But Gardner said those symbols may not be acceptable to everyone, either.

"We are a public school," he said. "We sure do not want to step on anybody's toes. I don't think any harm was intended."

Liberty Elementary School

Opened: August 2005

Enrollment: 331

Address: 1101 McDowell School Road W., Colleyville

SOURCE: Keller school district

http://www.dfw.com/images/dfw/startelegram/news/2065084-861676.jpg

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 10:12 AM
A Keller school district parent said political correctness has run amok at her daughter's elementary school, where the principal chose to omit the words "In God We Trust" from an oversize coin depicted on the yearbook cover.
Debi Ackerman of North Richland Hills said she is offended by the omission. It's yet another example of a politically correct culture that is removing Christian references from all public places, she said.

Whereas demanding that it be on the cover is not politcally correct at all.

She likened the situation to retailers that use "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" in their displays and advertising.

Getting upset when somebody doesn't explicitly acknowledge your religion--no political correctness there, either!

Is it stupid to alter the image of a coin to avoid offending people? Yes. Is also stupid to get bent out of shape about the altered image? Certainly. Both the right and the left can take their polictical correctness and shove it.

EDIT: mrowl has it right. The school officials had to know there would be a problem whether or not "In God We Trust" was on the coin so use another design in the first place.

hurricane'bone
5/20/2006, 10:22 AM
I've never understood the "Happy Holidays" Vs. "Merry Christmas," as a retailer, I don't want to do anything to **** off any of my potential customers. I don't consider that political correctness run-amok, I consider it smart business.

yermom
5/20/2006, 10:33 AM
why is that even on coins again? ;)

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 10:38 AM
I don't want to do anything to **** off any of my potential customers. I don't consider that political correctness run-amok, I consider it smart business.

You can't make one side happy without ****ing the other side off nowadays. Let's bring back the 7-day work week of our agrarian forefathers. We apparently have far too much time on our hands to worry about the silliest ****.

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 10:38 AM
why is that even on coins again? ;)

Oklahomey covered that a couple of days ago, didn't he?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2006, 10:39 AM
What would our forefathers think about this system we live in where the minority viewpoint has more strength than the majority

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 10:42 AM
What would our forefathers think about this system we live in where the minority viewpoint has more strength than the majority

Since that's the way they set up the Constitution they'd probably be pretty pleased. It's not about the minority viewpoint having more strength, it's about everybody having the same voice.

yermom
5/20/2006, 10:42 AM
Oklahomey covered that a couple of days ago, didn't he?

yeah, but i still don't get it

one day some guy says "hey i want to talk about God on all our coins"

why does it belong there?

King Crimson
5/20/2006, 10:46 AM
Since that's the way they set up the Constitution they'd probably be pretty pleased. It's not about the minority viewpoint having more strength, it's about everybody having the same voice.

the Bill of Rights being a document set up for that very reason....and the security and inviolability of the individual's civil rights (until recently).

but, to be on topic....the US nickel says "in god we trust" so it's kinda dumb to remove it. but it's also not a justification for theocracy like many would have it.

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 10:46 AM
yeah, but i still don't get it

one day some guy says "hey i want to talk about God on all our coins"

why does it belong there?

I don't think it does. Mixing government with religion is bad for all concerned. See also: Iran and the Soviet Union. I don't buy the BS that "God" is generic, either.

But I'm sure somebody here will disagree. :D

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 10:55 AM
but, to be on topic....the US nickel says "in god we trust" so it's kinda dumb to remove it.

Yeah, but it's just as dumb to complain about it being removed. Seriously, is the mother trying to defend the sanctity of the nickel or something? Of course not.

Is the Christian faith somehow dependent on what's printed on a yearbook cover? Or a coin? Or seeing a "Merry Christmas" banner hanging in Target? It sure seems that way.

StoopTroup
5/20/2006, 10:57 AM
What are these coins you speak of?

http://www.grassapple.com/post_files/2005/09/04_DebitCard.jpg

I'll take Marsha Brady for $200 Alex.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2006, 10:57 AM

But the problem is that it isnt the same voice...I know about the Bill of Rights concerning individual rights, but what about the individual rights of the people who dont see it the same way as the minority?

King Crimson
5/20/2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, but it's just as dumb to complain about it being removed. Seriously, is the mother trying to defend the sanctity of the nickel or something? Of course not.

Is the Christian faith somehow dependent on what's printed on a yearbook cover? Or a coin? Or seeing a "Merry Christmas" banner hanging in Target? It sure seems that way.

i'd agree with that.

yermom
5/20/2006, 11:04 AM
But the problem is that it isnt the same voice...I know about the Bill of Rights concerning individual rights, but what about the individual rights of the people who dont see it the same way as the minority?

what rights are being violated by removing "In God We Trust" or not hearing "Merry Christmas" all the time?

it's not like the minority is asking for just the Quran to be read before some sporting event.

why can't you pray to yourself and not have it broadcast over a loudspeaker?

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 11:07 AM

Nobody has a right to not be offended, and that's the only argument the mother has in this case. On the other hand, the law of the land is that God and public schools may coexist but may not comingle. Based on that alone the school has justification for leaving the words off. Why is it a big deal if the words are left off in the first place? It's an elementary school yearbook, not a bible.

And of course I have to wonder why the words need to be on our currency in the first place. Do Christians really need the government to acknowledge their religious beliefs? I would hope not.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/20/2006, 11:12 AM
Do Christians really need the government to acknowledge their religious beliefs? I would hope not.

I can find some common ground there....The governments that existed in Bible days obviously were not pro-Christian...but it didnt stop people from believing their way.

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2006, 12:39 PM
I'm not particularily religous at all. However, retaining the words "In God We Trust" on our money and as an acknowledgement by the government is VERY VERY important.

Why?

Because, up until our little spat with Britian the generally accepted belief was that government and its head (usually a monarch) were divinely appointed and created and that individual rights are derived from the government.

What the Revolution taught us is that there are certain rights that no government should have the power to infringe upon because they're inalienable rights from God himself. These are rights that God has divinely granted man kind and the purpose of government are to protect those rights not grant them.

An acknowledgement of God by government is important because it acknowledges that our government is one that protects the inalienable rights of man. If government ceases to acknowledge that then they cease to acknowledge the fact that our cherised inalienable rights come not from them but from a higher power.

This is the basis for our government. And many many of the Founder's weren't anything like what you could consider to be evangelical christians, but they did have a broad belief in the existence of SOME higher power and that higher power intended for man to be privy to some rights that no government can take away.

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2006, 12:43 PM
Let me also say this. The problem has become with evangelical christians who have done an amazing job at convincing everyone that the government should not only acknowledge God but when they do so (like in our money)then it's an affirmation of evangelical beliefs.

This is hogwash. The God envisioned by many of the Founding Fathers could include the God of many faiths. Evangelical Christians have not done their cause justice by effectively tying any expression of God by government to be an evangelical christian expression which is VERY wrong but not what was intended.

hurricane'bone
5/20/2006, 12:44 PM
You know who's really to blame in all this...the damn US Mint. Do we really need nine different nickels?

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 12:54 PM
This is the basis for our government. And many many of the Founder's weren't anything like what you could consider to be evangelical christians, but they did have a broad belief in the existence of SOME higher power and that higher power intended for man to be privy to some rights that no government can take away.

It wasn't the Founding Fathers' idea to put God on our money, though. Or into the Pledge of Allegiance. If you look at the history of how the money and especially the Pledge were altered, it's clear that the intent was to be one nation under the Judeo-Christian God in which we trust. It's the "defenders of religious expression" that throw the biggest fit when the religion in question is anything but Chirstianity.

mdklatt
5/20/2006, 12:56 PM
You know who's really to blame in all this...the damn US Mint. Do we really need nine different nickels?

Maybe not, but the state quarters are cool.