PDA

View Full Version : Domain Registration Question

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2006, 12:33 AM
I just registered a domain for a professional blog a friend of mine and myself are starting. I have another friend with his own server willing to host it, but how exactly do I do that? How do I get my domain on his server?

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/20/2006, 12:42 AM
go to the control panel of the registrar and change the DNS to the DNS of your friend's server.

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2006, 01:01 AM
go to the control panel of the registrar and change the DNS to the DNS of your friend's server.

Thanks Beano, much appreciated!

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2006, 01:06 AM
One more question,
Anyone know of some good blog software? I need it to be highly customizable but fairly easy to use.

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2006, 01:32 AM
In fact, I'd like some general advice as to how to customize it. We have a pretty good idea of the visual theme we're going for, but both of us are fairly ignorant as to the mechanics of getting it done.

I'd GREATLY GREATLY appreciate any direction, input, or advice anyone has in getting this thing up and running. If you'd care to IM me on AIM about it sometime and offer whatever opinion or advice you have and be willing to answer some of my questions then I'd be FOREVER in your debt.

etouffee
5/20/2006, 05:06 AM
For free, if it's just going to be a simple blog, I'd recommend Wordpress. Extremely fast to install and user-friendly to use, but a bit of a pain to customise. If you need something a bit more powerful and comprehensive, and can pay for it, ExpressionEngine is definitely the way to go. (the commercial license is $249, which is dirt cheap for what you get). It's extremely powerful and easy to customise (provided you understand html and css to some degree). If you decide to go with EE, I can help you with the setup and customisation. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

SicEmBaylor
5/20/2006, 10:01 PM
I think we're going to go with wordpress since it's free. But we want to eventually upgrade to something more complex. We're trying to do a serious blog not the "What we had for lunch today" crap. So, we need it to look at least professional but simple is okay for right now.

It'd be nice to eventually get sponsorship which would allow us to upgrade things, but we're a long way from that.

leavingthezoo
5/21/2006, 02:55 AM
professional usually is simple. it's the bells and whistles that make sites suck imo.

yermom
5/21/2006, 10:33 AM
there's good bells and whistles, and bad bells and whistles ;)

SicEmBaylor
5/26/2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the help. We ended up going with wordpress and it's working out alright. Got the first "real" post up and running, so we're ooooffff to the races as it were.
http://www.politicaloverload.com

yermom
5/26/2006, 03:50 PM
um, Cliff's Notes?

etouffee
5/26/2006, 04:08 PM
cliff's notes:

Hey look, we're starting a conservative political blog!

--------------------------------------------

*I saw the link to Kos in the sidebar and stopped reading. I can't take seriously any site, conservative or otherwise, that sends traffic there.

SicEmBaylor
5/26/2006, 04:45 PM
cliff's notes:

Hey look, we're starting a conservative political blog!

--------------------------------------------

*I saw the link to Kos in the sidebar and stopped reading. I can't take seriously any site, conservative or otherwise, that sends traffic there.

It was that or Wonkette. Thank your lucky stars it's Kos ;).

etouffee
5/26/2006, 04:52 PM
Wonkette would've been a much better choice, but why were those your only two options? There are far better left-leaning blogs.

yermom
5/26/2006, 04:54 PM
http://powerlineblog.com/archives/RocketWonketteKos.jpg

Wonkette's kinda hot...

SicEmBaylor
5/26/2006, 05:00 PM
I happen to actually like the Daily Kos.

Anyway, we do intend to add other sites. I was thinking of adding Talk Left, Democratic Underground, and Burnt Orange Report.

I won't put up Wonkette (she annoys me) or America Blog. :D

slickdawg
5/26/2006, 05:09 PM
If you need help with the DNS/domain stuff, peeeem me.

etouffee
5/26/2006, 05:11 PM
But you'll link to Kos and DU? That's truly mindboggling.

SicEmBaylor
5/26/2006, 05:42 PM
Well, I'm open to suggestions.